PDA

View Full Version : Madeira vs Thailand

latintopxxx
August 5th, 2023, 16:47
In Madeira for two weeks, visiting straight (but very open minded) Dutch friends I used to work with but have retired here. Gay scene here is so different, its either apps like grindr which is very active but mostly an older crowd over 30 with a high concentration of foreigners around Funchal the capital where most of the hotels are. Money boys are available, young masculine fit looking looking guys ranging from "barely legal" to mid twenties, they cruise the areas with lots of hotels and the Lido a public seaside pool and the large garden in front, all very last century with the guys making eye contact & grabbing their crotches, being gay is still kinda frowned upon here, so all the activity is carried out without much fanfare. Money boys are not cheap, looking for at least EUR100 which is a lot when the average salary is around the 1000euro mark, they all claim to be tops only but do change tgheir minds if there has been no customers or if an extra tip is offered. Its a lot of hard work to get laid here especially of one wants a handsome Ronaldo look alike if which there are many here.
VS
Thailand...where the apps are full of gorgeous numbers and now that covid has been pushed into the past even the gogo bars have enough stock to satisfy picky customers and all at a cost far lower than Madeira with a lot less trouble.

pong
August 8th, 2023, 02:24
Welldone, good try. There is another forum branch for non-ASEAN.
JUst out of curiosity (having been there once for a week on a then normal prepaid package-charter flite, hotel etc.-pre 2000): how does it compare with mainland Portugal and are most of those guys again the same lingo speaking Brazilians? I would assume they are mostly simply doing a normal hotel job there and looking for some extra pocket money for extra-curricular activities?

latintopxxx
August 8th, 2023, 15:27
they speak portuguese bit with a strong regional accent, something like comparing the queens english to a liverpool accent, or a new york accent to a Tennessee accent. Average rent boy ranges from the well dressed well spoken ones who cruise the hotel areas, sit in cafes nursing an expresso, making eye contact, checking the apps.....to teenage ones , dressed very casually, hang around parks and the huge public pool, at night on the street near night clubs and bars. Its not as easy as Thailand, lot more leg work involved. TBH, not my scene, too much work involved, I jusy wanna hop onto an app or visit a bar.

Patanawet
August 8th, 2023, 16:40
[QUOTE=pong;295174. There is another forum branch for non-ASEAN.

There is another forum branch for non-ASEAN.

maump
August 8th, 2023, 21:13
In Madeira for two weeks, Money boys are not cheap, looking for at least EUR100 which is a lot when the average salary is around the 1000euro mark, they all claim to be tops only but do change tgheir minds if there has been no customers or if an extra tip is offered. Its a lot of hard work to get laid here especially of one wants a handsome Ronaldo look alike if which there are many here.
VS
Thailand...where the apps are full of gorgeous numbers and now that covid has been pushed into the past even the gogo bars have enough stock to satisfy picky customers and all at a cost far lower than Madeira with a lot less trouble.

thank you for the exploration and report. International living is pushing Portugal as a great place to retire. I was curious. I love Asians and latins. I'm sure the Portuguese would be great lovers. but the cost....

latintopxxx
August 9th, 2023, 04:22
pong, was honestly comparing another place to Thailand, guess I'm seeking an alternative, but to date nothing beats Thailand when it comes to affordable accomodation be it short term or long and the availability and cost of sex is incomparable, and throw in the lack of any serious crime and I believe we are onto a winner.
Accomodation in Madeira is at least 50 euros a night for a basic pension type place, most nice 3 star places would command at leat 100. Good local cuiusine in the form of "prato do dia" or plate of the day is available, meal with a drink for under 7 euro.
drinks are all under 1,50 euro. Sex is definmitely more of a challenge and will cost at leat 75 euro upwards. No gogo or host bars, even the 2 gay bars are very toned down, anyone walking in would struggle to realise its actually gay as flamboyant is not the done thing here.

latintopxxx
August 9th, 2023, 04:45
maump, at leat 1/2 tghe population earn under 1000euro/month....yet we see no poverty, people seem happy, apartrments in madeira can be cought for under 250k so cost of living is affordable...but i wouldnt want to retyire here, the Algarve would be a better choice.

maump
August 10th, 2023, 05:15
maump, at leat 1/2 tghe population earn under 1000euro/month....yet we see no poverty, people seem happy, apartrments in madeira can be cought for under 250k so cost of living is affordable...but i wouldnt want to retyire here, the Algarve would be a better choice.

looking hard at Philippines, Thailand and Colombia for 6 months a year retirement (Snowbird). tired of winter. but don't love the severe heat.
Colombia climate +++ Available Hot men +++ food quality -- Food Cost ++ Transportation/close to home +, Safety ---, Heath care ok,
Thailand Climate - Available hot men ++ Food quality and cost +++, Safety ++ , far from home, Health care ++
Philippines climate - Available Hot men ++ food quality -- Food Cost ++ Transportation/close to home -, Safety ok, Heath care ok,

I hope to spend 5/6 months in Colombia this winter... but may move on to Asia (THailand? India?) if unhappy.

latintopxxx
August 10th, 2023, 14:54
cost of the hot men in colombia?? what towns are you looking to live in?

maump
August 13th, 2023, 04:35
cost of the hot men in colombia?? what towns are you looking to live in?

My experience was in Bogota and Medellin (lowest I paid 80 COP (20$) highest 250cop Most guys wanted 120-150 (plus taxis). Mileroticus is fun to go look.... I paid 250 for leisurely time with a hot 9 incher from mileroticus (included chatting and smoking).

I want to explore more. maybe Manizales.... I am thinking of getting an apartment in or around Medellin this visit. Hotels are too expensive.