PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel

August 28th, 2006, 13:20
Having stayed at the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel for a couple of days before flying out of Thailand, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by some things and not impressed by others.

If you don't know Bangkok at all (or know it just a little bit like me) and you take a look at the location map of the hotel (as seen at http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangk ... pinee.html (http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/pinnacle_lumpinee.html) ) you may think that the hotel is just around the corner from Silom, a cock-stride or rather a stride to the cocks! However, read the small print, the hotel is a good 2km walk to Silom and a little more to Suriwong and Soi Twilight, down a long, straight, dirty and busy Rama IV Road. Having walked the route there and back a few times, it loses it's majesty and I suggest you take either the underground train (just a 150 metres from the hotel) or pick up a taxi bike or taxi cab, the underground being the cheapest option at 15baht. The train also links up with the skytrain at Silom enabling you to get around quite easily.

I booked a superior room, as opposed to a standard or deluxe, but the room was small and seemed pretty standard to me. I forgot to specify double, queen or king size bed, so I ended up in a twin and dumbass that I am I also forgot to book a smoking room so ended up with a non smoker - still, it made a pleasant change to enter my room each time and not whiff stale smoke. There was no room safe, apparently only deluxe rooms come with a safe. The shower was refreshing and I am sure they use a hell of a lot of water as it felt like I was under a waterfall but no attachment for getting to those intricate little places and no hose attachment next to the toilet, which I am so used to now and don't feel 'really clean' without!

As I said, the room was small and had typical low/lower-mid budget hotel furnishings. The wifi system you needed to pay for and was quick (I hate having to pay for wifi in hotels but it seems pretty standard in many places now). The hotel is on a side street off Rama IV Road so make sure your taxi driver knows where it is - I only had to get a taxi twice (once on arrival and once coming from the bars after 1.00am) but neither knew the hotel or my pronunciation of it, but they seemed to know the road it was on, Soi Ngam Duphli (Soi Nam Duplee). On arrival you walk up a flight of steps into reception, there is a baggage/disabled ramp but that is so steep as to make the journey up for anyone in a wheelchair daunting and the journey down similar to a trip on a fair ground ride.

Reception is welcoming, the staff friendly and check-in quick. Breakfast is decent with a good selection of western and asian dishes but I never tried the evening meal as a) I never tend to eat in hotels and b) no one else seemed to be eating there either. There is still mention of a joiners fee in the hotel blurb in the rooms but I am unsure as to whether this is applied as I did not have the occassion to bring anyone back. The mix of the hotel guests included families, couples, obvious backpackers and a number of gays and all seem welcome. I know some have said there are 'too many arabs' in the hotel - whatever that means, but why other guests ethnicity should count I do not know.

I heard mention of 'guys' hanging around the hotel or around the coffee shop but saw nothing more than taxi bike riders, so don't get yoour hopes up.

The hotel all in all is pretty decent if you get the reduced rate through asia rooms (or thru' Jimmy who I have not used), the location is convenient for the underground train but not really walking distance after a night out at the bars and the area immediately around the hotel holds little of any interest.

For a couple of days stay, at budget prices, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

August 28th, 2006, 13:46
Yes, I agree that the thais seem to call Pinnacle..as Pee-ne-cern hotel. It is much easier to tell the taxi drivers Pinnacle Hotel, Sathorn Soi 1.
Anyway, if you should stay there again, I sould suggest taking a bus down to Robinson, most of the buses past by Rama4 and 2 buses goes into Silom. Cost you just bht7 - 10 bht.

CHAOTOU
August 28th, 2006, 21:18
Wasn't there talk on the board about a new hotel being built in the space across the street from Pinnacle? Did you notice any progress on that to report? What was the name of it? Anyone remember?

August 29th, 2006, 00:22
The new hotel opposite of Pinnacle is Vincents. The link TeePee provided doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking of giving it a try in November as an alternative to Pinnacle.

Fatman, look at the front desk and they have business cards with a map to Pinnacle on the back. I just hand that to the driver and there is never a problem. You also mentioned boys that hang around the coffee shop. I think thats the case at Malaysia Hotel, which is just down the street from Pinnacle.

By the way, how much did you pay for the wifi? Also, would appreciate a report on the bar scene in Bangkok.

August 29th, 2006, 00:45
When I take a taxi from Silom to the Pinnacle, I can never pronounce the name so that the driver understands. Now I usually say Malaysia Hotel (drivers usually know that one) and then just point down the road towards the Pinnacle.

Rustee is right about the buses. It is quite easy to walk down to the bus stop in front of the bank on Rama IV. It is a short ride and, usually depending on the time of the day, you don't have to wait very long for a bus to come.

Surfcrest
August 29th, 2006, 01:31
Hi Fatman41

So, you have left ThailandтАж.coming back soon I hope.

Have loved all of your reports!

You are a brave man to be doing that walk between the Pinnacle and Silom / Suriwong. Simply crossing Sathorn is enough to spoil my day, let alone the heat / dust.
The MRT is the sensible option, although the amount of flights to the trains at Lumphini and Silom is close to the equivalent in total distance to Silom. The aircon in the Stations is a welcome relief to the heat outside. Hypothermia becomes an issue actually in the trains, especially with long trips. I like the MRT charge card. Used only for these short jaunts between Lumphini and Silom the cards last a good while.

The same applies with taxis. I usually stay at the Malaysia and the taxi card they give out certainly helps, especially if you have a driver that is unfamiliar with the area. Without the card I have mentioned Lumphini Park, Soi Ngan Duplee, the embassies even Babylon and usually I get blank stares. When IтАЩve mentioned Lumphini Stadium I always get dropped at the wrong side of Rama IV.

Coming home after the bars have closed, even with someone is quite often a hassle. They all know where it is, but itтАЩs too small a fare to be worth it for them.

The Pinnacle is a good area to stay. Lots of very convenient transportation links in the daytime and some interesting places nearby with plenty of bikes to get you there quickly / safely

Chok Dee Man,

Surfcrest

August 29th, 2006, 02:07
Quote: "....and the area immediately around the hotel holds little of any interest". I wouldn't say that! Its a short walk to Babylon and there are several nice gay food establishements in the area. The area around Malaysia hotel (just down the street from the Pinnacle) is becoming a somewhat "Gay Friendly" neighborhood, with many gay establishments and many of the local residents being gay.

August 29th, 2006, 05:03
By the way, how much did you pay for the wifi?

Dear Drunk,

Here's the way it was in April (prices are from memory but should be fairly accurate):

150 baht for 30 minutes, good for a 24 hour period;
400 baht for 24 hours on-line time, good for 30 days!!!!

I bought the 24 hour upon my arrival in BKK and still had time when I came back from Phuket 25 days later.

The short-term card is a very bad deal; the 24 hours-good-for-a-month is a great deal (if you stay at the Pinnacle several days or plan to come back within 30 days). But you have to ask. Needless to say, the front desk will automatically sell you the high-profit 30 minute card unless you specify you want more time.

August 29th, 2006, 06:56
Without the (hotel) card I have mentioned Lumphini Park, Soi Ngan Duplee, the embassies even Babylon and usually I get blank stares. When IтАЩve mentioned Lumphini Stadium I always get dropped at the wrong side of Rama IV.

Coming home after the bars have closed, even with someone is quite often a hassle. They all know where it is, but itтАЩs too small a fare to be worth it for them.

The Pinnacle is a good area to stay. Lots of very convenient transportation links in the daytime and some interesting places nearby with plenty of bikes to get you there quickly / safely

Chok Dee Man,

Surfcrest

Bit surprised here. My experience, based many times staying in the area, is that taxis generally know the Malaysia and/or Soi Ngam Duphli.

Taxis loitering on Suriwongse or the Patpong side of Silom later at night are best avoided. They all want to overcharge, especially farangs.

Solution is to walk through Soi Thaniya, cross Silom Road, and take a taxi waiting between Saladaeng station and Soi Convent. These taxis can turn into Soi Convent, and head to Sathorn Road, then to Sathorn Soi 1 then Soi Ngam Duphli.
In my experience, these drivers always use the meter, never any problems.

Lumphini stadium would not be a good estination to ask for; will get you on the wrong side of Rama 4 for sure.

wowpow
August 29th, 2006, 08:25
Fatman - a nice report thank you.

http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee/index.html
http://www.vincentsbangkok.com/

phone 01 859 6585 : jimmyfirst@hotmail.com

Superior room from Asia Rooms 1121 baht
Superior Room from Jimmy 940 baht

It is always wise to take a hotel card or something with you in case of accident. The map on the reverse of the Pinnacle card is not very good and I find taxi drivers not very good map readers. "Soi Ngam Duphli" is well known and if they look hesitant add Sathorn Soi One (neung) if coming from downtown.

I sometimes walk into Silom. The block to Sathorn is not very long then enter Lumphini Park wan walk through it's lovely. Some linger at the open air gyms.

quote Fatman "I heard mention of 'guys' hanging around the hotel or around the coffee shop but saw nothing more than taxi bike riders, so don't get your hopes up."
I think there is confusion here with the Malaysia which used to have money boys in it's cofee shop ( as did the Suriwong ) but the Police stopped it a few years back. There are often a few guys hanging around the entrance of the Malaysia at night but with so much to choose from -.

I think the bus into Silom/Suriwong is 10 baht or less and the subway is 14 baht. I am extravagant and most often take a taxi or motorbike taxi and pay 35 baht. If you take a motorbike it's a lot quicker at rush hours.

The subway stations you would use are Lumphini near the Pinnacle and Si Lom for Silom - so that's easy enough and the machines take notes and give change. Si Lom station is connected by an elevated walkway to Saladang skytrain station.

I don't use wifi but a newsih little Internet shop which has opened between The Pinnacle and Rama IV charges are 30 baht an hour.

August 29th, 2006, 11:13
Or 'me cry', or something like that anyway - yes Surfcrest, I have departed. I am busily trying to call in those long standing debts owed to me for one last cheap awayday(s) back to Thailand, but who knows, I may have to start working for a living again!

As for the Pinnacle, I take it back about nothing of interest being in the area, I had a quick look around and assumed nothing was there so didn't bother scouting out further, thanks for setting me straight Jakenasty.

I just checked out the Malaysia Hotel website, is the quality/size of the room similar to Pinnacle? If you have stayed at both Surfcrest, which would you recommmend? And yes, if you can pick up a 'business card' or whatever from the hotel with it's name and address printed in English and Thai, this would definitely help. Yes, I did get it wrong re: which hotel has guys hanging around, I must learn to read other posts more closely! As for taxi's, I once paid 50 baht to Suriwong and once paid 100 baht to get back to the hotel after the bars - I have learned my lesson from other board members comments on correct charges.

As for walking from Soi Ngam Duphli to Suriwong/Silom, I probably won't do it again as arriving at the bars with a glowing red face is not the most attractive of features, although money talks so why worry about being attractive! Only once did I walk back after the bars, and it was interesting passing all the guys along Rama IV Road, sat alone or in small groups or at bus stops, offering up smiles or questions as to 'where you go'? Still, I resisted the temptation of street trade.

I think SF Farang answered the internet question, although my dull memory seems to recall prices as 100 baht for an hour, 200 baht for three hours and 400 baht for 24 hours use (to be used within 30 days). I know the prices are correct but the the number of hours available for 100 baht and 200 baht may not be. Still, it was a fast in-room connection.

As for the bar scene D&D, I did get to a few bars on my two night stay. Just a couple of quick comments.

Future Boys still doing the same kind of show - mostly nude or bikini clad hardons in various soap, candle, slow dance routines with a tag team guy/ladyboy gymnastic fuck show thrown in.

X-Boys does some interesting shows, a mix of choreographed dance routines, hard cock dancing & big cock show. I didn't see a fuck show here but sexy guys slow dancing together and getting quite steamy. Fire-eating and the usual high standard performances from all the guys.

X-Man - the last time I visited they had the X-boy dancers plus a ladyboy/katowey lip-sync. This time they threw in a guy/guy fuck routine (no ladyboy taking it this time) and also had a Mr Jumbo competition. I only caught the first round of this with about 10 guys with hardons hidden behind bikini briefs (some not quite so jumbo). I assume the bikini's came off in the 2nd round?

The Boys (of Bangkok) did a good show, with many great looking guys and many more muscular types than you see in the other bars in soi Twilight. I got the same mamasan I insulted last time (last time I told her I didn't want to talk to her) and I don't know why she gets me riled. Perhaps because she just stands infront of me grinning like a demented cheshire cat and touching my jack/soda indicating 'one more' - that smile is freaky though!

Fresh Beach Boyz - I popped in after being told 'show in five minutes', sat down, ordered my drink and was surrounded by guys. I checked if there was a show and was told 'maybe' and then 'maybe in 20 minutes, depending on customers'. As the waiter brought my drink I left without paying explaining I wanted to see a show.

Tawan Bar - popped in for just one drink - glad to say the smell of the toilets I experienced last time has cleared up and I'm sure a got a whiff of 'pine fresh'. Caught the last five minutes of a lacklustre bj orgy with ladyboys doing the business to muscular studs looking at themselves in the mirrored walls above the punters heads. Still, it was packed out with mostly Chinese/Taiwanese clientele.

Nature Boy - as I was in the area, I poked my head into Nature Boy to see the six or seven guys (one on stage and the three each surrounding two customers) in various states of dress and arousal, one giving head to a customer. There is no show here, unless of course you call some of the guys being naked and jerkin the gerkin or blowing a customer a 'show'.

One thing I noticed, most of the bars have reduced the drink charges, at least on the weekend I was there. Previously the standard price of a weekend was 230-250baht, now 200-220baht. Further, more of the bars have their guys showing hard and out in the open.

Hope this helps D&D.

August 29th, 2006, 11:53
fatman - it almost felt like i was there - sighhhhh.

Is nature boys the tiny little bar with about 5 tables near the mango tree?

August 29th, 2006, 12:12
fatman - it almost felt like i was there - sighhhhh.

Is nature boys the tiny little bar with about 5 tables near the mango tree?

I think you have the right place Oogleman. Turning off Suriwong Road, you walk past the door entrance to Tawan Bar and I assume 'The Mango Tree' is the little restaurant on the corner (indoor and outdoor seating and all looking very nice - but I never ate there). Down that same soi is Solid Bar, Super A Gogo, The Golden Cock and a few others and the last bar you hit is Nature Boy. Small door entrance and a very narrow bar with about five tables.

Surfcrest
August 30th, 2006, 00:24
Bit surprised here. My experience, based many times staying in the area, is that taxis generally know the Malaysia and/or Soi Ngam Duphli.
Lumphini stadium would not be a good estination to ask for; will get you on the wrong side of Rama 4 for sure.

That depends on where you are coming from.
If you are taxiing to the Malaysia from all over the city, they don't know it....trust me.
From the bar zone some will pretend not to know it so they'll stand a chance at a real fare.
If all else fails and you wind up at the Stadium, there's a pedestrain overhead
and a relaxing / short walk back (watch out for the dog crap).

Surfcrest

August 30th, 2006, 06:54
Thanks fats for that very detailed report. November can't get here soon enough!!