PDA

View Full Version : Expat living inland

calcmandan
February 23rd, 2023, 16:47
Considering the large expat community in Thailand, do some end up settling in smaller cities inland and away from the tourist areas like Bangkok and Phuket?

I've seen adverts for condos where expats can legally purchase a dwelling with ocean views, but they fetch a pretty heavy penny for the luxury. I don't necessarily need to live on the coast. I'd assume the facilities aren't great in the smaller cities. Gonna start looking at the map.

Mason45
February 23rd, 2023, 18:09
Considering the large expat community in Thailand, do some end up settling in smaller cities inland and away from the tourist areas like Bangkok and Phuket?

I've seen adverts for condos where expats can legally purchase a dwelling with ocean views, but they fetch a pretty heavy penny for the luxury. I don't necessarily need to live on the coast. I'd assume the facilities aren't great in the smaller cities. Gonna start looking at the map.

Firstly you need to know you can't own a house on a block of land in your name. Secondly for condos etc foreigners can't own any more than 49% of that title. More to the point say there's 100 condos where you prefer to invest, if 49% are owned buy foreigners you can't buy a condo in your name. I've been through all this 20 years ago.

calcmandan
February 23rd, 2023, 18:32
Firstly you need to know you can't own a house on a block of land in your name. Secondly for condos etc foreigners can't own any more than 49% of that title. More to the point say there's 100 condos where you prefer to invest, if 49% are owned buy foreigners you can't buy a condo in your name. I've been through all this 20 years ago.

I'm aware of all that but my question is there an expat community inland or is it mostly clustered around the major metros?

pong
February 23rd, 2023, 21:15
No it is not. And most certainly it is not at all near or in Phuket.
To make it clear: I myself am not expat, just come here in TH every yr when its winter @home (EUR) and also ´winter=cool season, not too hot, here in TH.
Out of interest and also as a kind of relic of former work I follow also other forums set up by such groups. Mostly of course those in own language.
1.it should be obviously clear that most are centered in their own country/language, and USA are by far not the most populous such groups. It would also help if you could state yours.
2.it should even be more blindingly clear that str8 relations far outnumber gay ones. The archetypical elder, fat, in pension farang maintaining a Thai wife, perhaps a former bargirl, perhaps a kind of also economic relation: a moreor less helpless men in things for doing the house and a Thai wife who is used to being caring, and cleaning/cooking/washing/etc. As such not really much different from how in former times marriages in the west also held form.
3.due to where most of these ladies come from and if the couple decides to stay in TH and not homeland of man, its Isan, Isan and Isan as #1,2,3 and then some other areas, North, BKK-city and far fewer in the south. And spread out all over in even the tiniest of small villages (like baan nok khee ma= village birdshit, as these are commonly known). The wife or her family owns the land-title, the man brings in the money (a few 10.000€ or $ or GBP is enough) to build a decent house on it.
In fact as I remember TH is among the 3 countries which has in % most of these spread-out mixed couples in the whole world.
Now IF they also cluster together or have other binds will differ enormously. There are no fixed and stated rules for that either. Nor even really any clusters of like : the Swedes live there, The Germans here, etc.
THat is how far my knowledge runs.

Dodger
February 24th, 2023, 07:56
I'm aware of all that but my question is there an expat community inland or is it mostly clustered around the major metros?

Great question:

Most of the large clusters of expats are of course centered around the most popular retirement destinations, e.g., Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya, etc., although some prefer living more remote lifestyles and nest in some of the other cities/provinces such as Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai, Buriram, Surin, Hua Hin, Phitsanulok, Udon Thani, Kanchanaburi, etc. etc. etc.

One of the main decision making factors would be "choice of lifestyle". For those expats residing in some of the more remote areas life is very basic without a lot of the comforts and conveniences offered in the more popular areas - where entertainment is extremely limited and having a full-time partner would be as necessary as a toothbrush.

I know expats who live in some of these more remote areas and they claim to be able to live comfortably on 30,000 THB/month which also seems to be a key motivating factor (or necessity) for some. Their hobbies seem to always include things like gardening, writing, cooking, etc. with very little interest (or opportunities) to enjoy nightly entertainment and/or boy-hunting.

Personally, and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to retire in the town of Bang Saray - primarily because it has cleaner water at the beach for swimming, cleaner air for breathing, a lot less traffic - with a more peaceful and tranquil environment as compared to living in the bowels of Pattaya - and it's just a short 25 minute motorbike zoom around the bay to Pattaya when I feel the urge. Best of both worlds!

A lot to consider....but being realistic about the type of "lifestyle" you'd be happiest with during your retirement is the real deal-breaker. Just close your eyes - envision what you'd like to see outside your window every morning - and take it from there.

Good luck

bkkmfj2648
February 24th, 2023, 09:42
A lot to consider....but being realistic about the type of "lifestyle" you'd be happiest with during your retirement is the real deal-breaker. Just close your eyes - envision what you'd like to see outside your window every morning - and take it from there.

And that is more or less how I decided to retire in the Dongtan Beach section of Jomtien. Near enough to Pattaya - but far enough away.
Like Dodger wrote, I wish that the beach water at Jomtien was cleaner - but when I want clean water I take a boat over to Koh Larn where it is blue, transparent and clean.

I still have not yet visited Bang Saray - as what Dodger wrote to have clean beach water where you live is a BIG plus. My resistance is that I fear to drive in Thailand (due to the way that they drive here and road safety is not very apparent) - so Bang Saray would be too far away for me. Here at Dongtan Beach I can walk almost everywhere and when I need to go into Pattaya city there is the ever dependable bahtbus.

Dodger
February 24th, 2023, 11:17
......And that is more or less how I decided to retire in the Dongtan Beach section of Jomtien. Near enough to Pattaya - but far enough away.

Absolutely perfect location!

After spending 24 years of holidays in Thailand this is exactly the spot I had pegged for retirement for the very reasons you mention.

The fact that you're within easy walking distance to the vibrant gay light life, massage parlors, restaurants, shopping, gay beach etc, make this an ideal place for retirement. If it weren't for the fact that I truly love riding my motorbike, especially the early-morning cruises along he coast from my dwelling in Bang Saray, I would be residing there as well.

Another area close to you that I like as well is along Pratamnak Road - which has a nice upscale village-type atmosphere that I really like.

One of the things on the top of the list when deciding where to retire - was that the place had to make me feel like I was on vacation...so being within walking distance of a beach was a must.

Armando
February 24th, 2023, 12:41
I know expats who live in some of these more remote areas and they claim to be able to live comfortably on 30,000 THB/month which also seems to be a key motivating factor (or necessity) for some.
Given that the minimum monthly income to be remitted into Thailand for a retirement visa has to be Bt. 65,000, is there much point living on 30,000? Either they want to accumulate a lot of savings or they take the fixed annual sum route which means having Bt. 800.000 untouched in a bank account for 5 months and then Bt. 400,000 untouched for the remaining 7.

Dodger
February 24th, 2023, 14:26
Given that the minimum monthly income to be remitted into Thailand for a retirement visa has to be Bt. 65,000, is there much point living on 30,000?

I guess there would be a point of living on 30,000 if that's all they had was 30,000...LOL.

One would assume that people in this predicament use the services of an agent.

TIT

maump
March 2nd, 2023, 07:56
Absolutely perfect location!

Another area close to you that I like as well is along Pratamnak Road - which has a nice upscale village-type atmosphere that I really like.

I was looking at this on google earth... no real info, just a short street you cannot go down. or is there more than I can find?

maump
March 2nd, 2023, 08:05
Great question:

Personally, and after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to retire in the town of Bang Saray - primarily because it has cleaner water at the beach for swimming, cleaner air for breathing, a lot less traffic - with a more peaceful and tranquil environment as compared to living in the bowels of Pattaya - and it's just a short 25 minute motorbike zoom around the bay to Pattaya when I feel the urge. Best of both worlds!

Good luck

Tell me more about Bang Saray. I see no men on grindr there :cray_mini: but it is a close ride. how much for taxi on those drinking nights? do any B-buses run that far? do the boys come to visit? are the beaches clean? is the rent less? good food?

RonanTheBarbarian
March 4th, 2023, 04:43
I was looking at this on google earth... no real info, just a short street you cannot go down. or is there more than I can find?

To find it on Google Maps you have to spell it "Phra Tamnak".

It is the road Behind Big Buddha Hill, between Pattaya and Jomtien. The main sub-sois betweeen it and the sea have a lot of somewhat cheaper (I believe) apartments.

Dodger
March 4th, 2023, 07:11
Tell me more about Bang Saray. I see no men on grindr there :cray_mini: but it is a close ride. how much for taxi on those drinking nights? do any B-buses run that far? do the boys come to visit? are the beaches clean? is the rent less? good food?

I have my own transportation - but buses run 24/7 to/from Bang Saray (20-60 baht).

I have my own condo - but condo rentals are typically 20% - 30% less than Pattaya.

I have my own boy - but hundreds are available for rent 25 minutes away.

Beach is pristine - great for swimming.

Plenty of good restaurants, bars, massage parlors (girls), etc..

NOTE:
As nice as Bang Saray is, If you don't have a live-in boyfriend and/or prefer spending your evenings at the boy bars you're better off in Pattaya.

latintopxxx
March 4th, 2023, 10:36
tbh....bang saray doesnt sound that far away...in the good old days when we had fuck shows 3 times a night in every gogo bar all the action was in boyztown and sunee....i prefered to stay in jomtien as that is where I spent the mornomgs and day on the beach...it is about a 20min baht bus ride away taking in all the stops...so add another 5 to 10 min and bang saray sounds great of u want a quieter less commercial scene...

arsenal
March 4th, 2023, 11:18
Bang Saray used to be a pleasant 25 minute motorbike amble away ending with a right turn shortly after Nong Nooch.

However it's now a building site all the way from Jomtien due to the fuck off huge overpass motorway being built. The traffic gets snarled up and you need to go further on and do a U-turn.

However, Bang Saray itself remains glorious and Ruantay restaurant us perhaps my favourite restaurant in the whole world.

So it's worth it.

Dodger
March 4th, 2023, 11:22
tbh....bang saray doesnt sound that far away...in the good old days when we had fuck shows 3 times a night in every gogo bar all the action was in boyztown and sunee....i prefered to stay in jomtien as that is where I spent the mornomgs and day on the beach...it is about a 20min baht bus ride away taking in all the stops...so add another 5 to 10 min and bang saray sounds great of u want a quieter less commercial scene...

Same same.

During my holiday years I always preferred hanging my hat in Jomtien as well - even though I spent every night on the bar scene in PTY. Short rides don't ruffle my feathers, in exchange for some peace and quiet when the party's over.

latintopxxx
March 5th, 2023, 01:47
made the mistake of staying once in boyztown at the ambiance...impossible to sleep before 2am...and during the day the surroundings are little more than a slum...lots of the gogos seemed to live close by so it wasnt unusual to see a few dazed looking ones up and about by 10am...offed a few too...even though im not a morning person...but when a butt that cost 2000 the night before is now on sale for 800 i cant turn down a deal...

Daveuk
March 6th, 2023, 13:00
I stayed at the Ambiance last year and my experience with late night noise was different - there wasn’t any !
For many years it was my hotel of choice as a gay sex tourist, until the dreadful noise from an early morning karioki developed about 5 years ago when I switched my stays to the Jomtien Complex.
After Covid gave the place another chance and had good nights of sex with a selection of boys uninterrupted by noise at all.

christianpfc
March 6th, 2023, 20:00
The entry on google maps is misplaced, try Phra Tamnak instead.