PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia hotel

karius
January 23rd, 2023, 14:24
Has anyone stayed at Malaysia hotel lately? What is the area like nowadays? Is the hotel like it was pre-covid?

christianpfc
January 23rd, 2023, 21:50
It's fully open for business. Restaurant was full when I checked.

A friend used to use their pool, but now they won't let him any more (covid regulations) because he does not stay at the hotel. However the restaurant is open to people who do not stay at the hotel.

latintopxxx
January 24th, 2023, 00:44
Good to hear that its doing well, one of my favourite hotels, staff always helpful, big rooms and nobody cares if one invites "friends" over for fun...

mr giggles
January 24th, 2023, 10:13
Rooms are very basic, in fact rather poor quality. There's a lot better around for little more Baht.

latintopxxx
January 25th, 2023, 00:46
I've always loved the casual almost country feel about the place and the fact that the restaurant (good food too) was popular wiuth non residents, lots of talent passing through and that hookers of both sexes would hang around the entrance...very sexually gritty feel to the place...I dont cafre abouit luxurious rooms...I dont live in my room, I sleep and have sex there...otherwise im outside..by the pool at babylon (sadly no more) or trawling through soi 6 and soi twilight ...sure for a couple 100 baht more one could "upgrade" but having spent 1/2 my life in Marriots, Hiltons...the novelty has worn off...

Mancs
January 25th, 2023, 19:34
In my experience the slightly more expensive rooms are worth the extra, the staff are attentive, the restaurant good. As it was not available during Covid I may be out of date but I have always been happy there.

Marc K
January 26th, 2023, 01:57
Rooms are very basic, in fact rather poor quality. There's a lot better around for little more Baht.

The Malaysia has "renovated" rooms on the top (sixth ?) floor which are quite nice. You need to ask for them specifically. The best price is about 1,000 baht if I remember right. Quite a good deal. I agree that the restaurant and surroundings can be "interesting". However, given Babylon's closing (so sad) there is not much reason to stay in that area these days.

Gaybutton
January 26th, 2023, 05:13
Good to hear that its doing well, one of my favourite hotels, staff always helpful, big rooms and nobody cares if one invites "friends" over for fun...
The Malaysia is my first choice hotel too whenever I go to Bangkok. Another plus is the proximity and easy access to the expressway for those of us who drive. The hotel has plenty of parking.

The staff is very helpful. The front desk staff speaks good English and the room maids are trustworthy.

The hotel has separate floors for smokers and non-smokers, so no problems about that.

Nobody mentioned that a traditional Thai massage shop is located within the hotel. I've never tried it, though.

Yes, the rooms are on the spartan side, so it's the wrong hotel for those looking for high end luxury accommodations. I too have never had a problem bringing a "guest" to my room. The "guest" has to leave his ID card at the front desk. If you are still in your room when he leaves, the front desk calls to make sure everything is ok before giving him back his ID card.

There are also some very good restaurants within easy walking distance.

If you are not afraid of motorbike taxis, it's usually less than a 10 minute ride to the gay bar area.

There are nearby hotels with better appointed rooms for a higher price, but for me the Malaysia Hotel is perfect.

mr giggles
January 26th, 2023, 12:07
The Malaysia is my first choice hotel too whenever I go to Bangkok. .

I wonder if Charles Sobhraj (the serial killer) will be back to stay in his old room at The Malaysia, now that he has been released from prison? :rolleyes:

Gaybutton
January 26th, 2023, 17:02
I wonder if Charles Sobhraj (the serial killer) will be back to stay in his old room at The Malaysia, :

If you don't know what mr giggles is talking about, watch the 2021 mini series, "The Serpent".

Did he really stay at the Malaysia Hotel? How do you know?

mr giggles
January 27th, 2023, 09:23
If you don't know what mr giggles is talking about, watch the 2021 mini series, "The Serpent".

Did he really stay at the Malaysia Hotel? How do you know?

A quick google search will confirm he did, as well as staying at a former backpackers' hostel across the soi (now the 7-11), although he lived longer term at Kanit House 504.

Remember, Soi Nam Duplee was a backpacker hangout, back in the day. The TV series "The Serpent" took some dramatic liberties for the sake of the story.

From an online Book Review: I have recently been on a Bangkok binge, having read Bangkok Burning (by Robin Newbold!), Lawrence Osborne's The Glass Kingdom and now the trilogy with the The Serpent. Having stayed at the Malaysia Hotel, where the protagonist - Charles Sobhraj - picked up some of his victims, and knowing the city extremely well made this true crime book a particularly poignant, if salutary tale.

pong
January 27th, 2023, 10:28
As such right, but that is really by now an awful long time ago. When I first came to BKK Khao Sarn-yes, that also widely known name, was already THE bekpek haunt and so I also stayed there. But not on the rd but a little off-room for 40 bt. (just a bed and a fan in it-bathroom outside, tipical Thai meals were 10-15 bt/plate). Got there in the blue public 59 bus from the then only airpt, DMK for 2 bt. 59 still runs that route and is now 8 bt.
Stayed a few nites opposite in the IBIS late last yr (also as I had to earn some points for its HTL rewards) and this as very cheap-less as 1000/N. The usual Ibis-style rooms, good+fast wifi and BF-buffet was less as 200-not great, except the cf. I never take guys in my own room, but in this area they must be used to that. However the IBIS STYles near KSR (the old renovated ViengThai) is still closed.
Der christian lives very close by this MY. Latest reviews mostly suggest its populair among people from that its name says.

Newbie99
May 21st, 2024, 15:40
Are there still money boys hanging around the hotel?

christianpfc
May 24th, 2024, 11:31
That scene declined and I haven't seen anyone for well over 5 years. I think the last few I spotted 10 years ago.

mr giggles
May 24th, 2024, 13:21
The hotel went downhill quickly after Charles Sobhraj left.

Patanawet
May 27th, 2024, 15:23
Nobody mentioned that a traditional Thai massage shop is located within the hotel. I've never tried it, though.

Yes, the massage place looks 'straight' -- I've only ever seen ladies in their reception.
The massage area, years ago, used to be a packed out Issan music bar. No idea why they closed it.
They now seem to have got rid of the huge fish outside by the restaurant terrace.
In early Covid days, it became an isolation 'hospital'.
Since then it has all been tarted up.

latintopxxx
May 27th, 2024, 16:34
hope i dont get crucified by the foodies but I really enjoyed the Thai food in the restaurant, had many a green chicken curry there with a cold beer watching the goings on...was especially nice wandering back from Babylon after a hard days playing to have a meal and a beer...

Newbie99
June 3rd, 2024, 01:54
Back in the day, I would stay there when planning to spend time at Babylon. But I never worried about money boys at Malaysia hotel, because when I finished at Babylon, I was always finished.