PDA

View Full Version : Monkeypox

Josan
July 19th, 2022, 19:41
We are learning more about Monkeypox, who it infects, and how it is spreads. Will it spread in Thailand? Will this change some guy's sexual practices?

infoarmor
July 20th, 2022, 02:49
We are learning more about Monkeypox, who it infects, and how it is spreads. Will it spread in Thailand? Will this change some guy's sexual practices?

Considering the number of gay travelers in Thailand and the high volume of action they have with locals, it's inevitable that monkeypox will soon spread to Thailand.
I think it's impact though will be limited. As scary as the symptoms of that disease are, it's rarely life-threatening.

I think in a first moment, when it starts getting media attention, there might be some hesitation from local guys to hookup with foreigners on apps. The sauna scene might also be curtailed. I don't think it will really affect the paid-sex market.
With time though, as more foreigners get vaccinated and the vaccine will eventually be available in Thailand, it will just end up being accepted as another STD.

2lz2p
July 20th, 2022, 06:39
The Pattaya City Expats Club had a comprehensive and interesting presentation about Monkey Pox from Professor Andy Barraclough. If interested, you can view the YouTube video of his presentation at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZ4u5SpZMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZ4u5SpZMY

aot871
July 21st, 2022, 00:09
Considering the number of gay travelers in Thailand and the high volume of action they have with locals, it's inevitable that monkeypox will soon spread to Thailand.
I think it's impact though will be limited. As scary as the symptoms of that disease are, it's rarely life-threatening.

I think in a first moment, when it starts getting media attention, there might be some hesitation from local guys to hookup with foreigners on apps. The sauna scene might also be curtailed. I don't think it will really affect the paid-sex market.
With time though, as more foreigners get vaccinated and the vaccine will eventually be available in Thailand, it will just end up being accepted as another STD.

The trouble with with your answer , is that it's not an STD, in the proper sence . If you use a towel or lay in the same bed as some with it that's where you catch it from , it's body contact as opposed to body fluids

infoarmor
July 21st, 2022, 14:10
The trouble with with your answer , is that it's not an STD, in the proper sence . If you use a towel or lay in the same bed as some with it that's where you catch it from , it's body contact as opposed to body fluids

You're right that monkeypox is not a sexually transmitted disease in the classic sense in that it’s not spread through semen or only via sex, but behaves similarly to one by affecting individuals who have had close physical contact.
I understand that it spreads through bodily fluids, that's why I said it will definitely impact gay saunas (which were one of the earliest hotspots in Europe) and hotels might even adopt a "no visitors" policy, but that's only if the outbreak is really big and the media makes a big case out of it. It doesn't seem to be the case so far in Thailand.

What's not really fully understood is if monkeypox spreads asymptomatically, but the viral load is definitely higher when they symptoms appear.
Who knows, maybe a practice of mutual skin examination before sex will start out of this:D

Patanawet
July 22nd, 2022, 18:12
From today's (Friday) B.P.
"Patient missing
A search launched for a Nigerian man, a hospital outpatient, after lab tests confirm he has Thailand’s first detected case of monkeypox, and people in Phuket who had contact with him are also being tested.

latintopxxx
July 23rd, 2022, 03:15
...a nigerian...assume he's like an original model as in pitch black...how difficult could it be to find him...not like he can blend in

davidmelba
July 23rd, 2022, 09:02
Unbelievable that he could disappear like that...only in Thailand!

Patanawet
July 23rd, 2022, 14:22
Unbelievable that he could disappear like that...only in Thailand!
Today's (Friday) update
"Thai officials have now stated that Thailand's first monkeypox patient, a foreign man on overstay, is believed to have fled to Cambodia by swimming across a river in Sa Kaeo illegally."

Micky
July 23rd, 2022, 20:19
For those who are concerned, there is a vaccine. Not sure if it is accessible in Thailand or not however.

Patanawet
July 30th, 2022, 18:12
Today's report.
THAILAND
'Don't panic'
Gen Prayut urges the public not to fret as authorities search for a European man who is believed to have infected the Thai man recently confirmed as Thailand's second monkeypox case.

Dodger
August 1st, 2022, 11:13
...a nigerian...assume he's like an original model as in pitch black...how difficult could it be to find him...not like he can blend in

They could probably spot him with a helicopter...LOL

Dodger
August 1st, 2022, 11:22
Today's report.
THAILAND
'Don't panic'
Gen Prayut urges the public not to fret as authorities search for a European man who is believed to have infected the Thai man recently confirmed as Thailand's second monkeypox case.

If the Nigerian guy could swim across a fucking river to Cambodia - maybe this European guy can pole vault to Malaysia.

Jellybean
August 1st, 2022, 16:05
Sorry, I couldn’t resist posting the following photo, which is doing the rounds on facebook:

In case there’s someone out there who doesn’t quite get it, here’s a video clip of The Monkees, a 1960’s rock and pop band:

https://youtu.be/TiQUnxNEDqk

francois
August 1st, 2022, 17:32
And then there was one, Micky Dolenz.

Jellybean
August 10th, 2022, 20:51
Today, August 10th, 2022, I received the following email from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office regarding Monkeypox:

Monkeypox

Travellers arriving from countries where monkeypox transmission has been recorded in the previous 21 days are asked to complete a health declaration form for contact tracing. If you are suspected of having monkeypox, you will be isolated in a hospital and prevented from travelling further until the results of a PCR test for monkeypox are known. This can mean at least 1 day of isolation.

if the result of your test is negative, you will be allowed to resume travelling;

if the result of your test is positive, you must continue your isolation in hospital, and be monitored by health officials. Patients will be discharged after an isolation of approximately 21 days or when they are no longer considered to be infectious.

During your stay in Thailand, if you develop symptoms of monkeypox, you can seek medical advice at nearby hospital facilities, or contact Thai Department of Disease Control’s national hotline for monkeypox 1422. Check your travel health insurance cover before you travel. More information about monkeypox can be found on the NaTHNaC website: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/news/636/monkeypox-clusters-reported-internationally

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/health

gumblebee
August 12th, 2022, 00:15
For those who are concerned, there is a vaccine. Not sure if it is accessible in Thailand or not however.
I expect most members of this board were vaccinated against smallpox as children, and have the scar to prove it. The main question is how effective these vaccinations are after several decades. Looks like they hope it offers some benefit as in many places they're denying the monkeypox vaccine if you ever had the smallpox one. In Thailand they were still vaccinating children well into the 1980's.

Moses
August 12th, 2022, 01:33
I expect most members of this board were vaccinated against smallpox as children, and have the scar to prove it. The main question is how effective these vaccinations are after several decades.

Fast and cheap quantity test for antibodies will tell it.

ChrisY
August 12th, 2022, 23:55
Fast and cheap quantity test for antibodies will tell it.

I cannot find any information about any fast, cheap antibody blood test. Can you give more specifics?

poshglasgow
August 15th, 2022, 03:10
I cannot find any information about any fast, cheap antibody blood test. Can you give more specifics?

A clear, unequivocal sign of infection is a sudden and insatiable appetite for bananas, coupled with an overwhelming desire to masturbate while hanging upside down from trees, as those clutching admission tickets applaud wildly and urge those infected on to greater obscenities and a bit if theft alla Gib!

bkkguy
August 28th, 2022, 19:40
This Is Not the Monkeypox That Doctors Thought They Knew, New York Times, Aug. 26, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/26/health/monkeypox-symptoms.html

the full article is a good read as an update on where we might be heading with MonkeyPox thinking, some teasers ...

The patients turning up at clinics often have a range of symptoms that are not typical of the infection. Some of the infected seem to have no symptoms at all.
Scientists now know that the monkeypox virus lurks in saliva, semen and other bodily fluids, sometimes for weeks after recovery. The virus has always been known to spread through close contact, but many researchers suspect the infection may also be transmitted through sex itself.
Early in the outbreak, the C.D.C. said that “people who do not have monkeypox symptoms cannot spread the virus to others.” The agency changed that phrasing on July 29 to say that “scientists are still researching” the possibility of asymptomatic transmission."