PDA

View Full Version : So Pattaya in May ?

Max6969
July 4th, 2022, 12:23
So for my very 1st trip to Thailand this Year i booked October-Novembre since i want to see Ayutthaya (Since im a History lover)
and because i cant handle hot humidity well, so BKK and Pattaya should also be Okay (i hope)

However in the long term i am looking for a Destination for the month May, since October-Novembre is for me the best time to travel to hot places like the Middle East to check Historic Sites (because the temperature is much better.)

SO is Pattaya really THAT bad with humidity in May as i read on Google/Tripadvisor ?
I would only go for the Boys/Nightlife. Is there anything i could do to lower its effects ? (handfan or something/anything ?)

Or if your from western europe and cant handle humidity, just avoid this month all together... :(

Oliver2
July 4th, 2022, 13:24
Pattaya is an all-year-round destination. Don't let the weather concern you when making a decision as to when to go. Buildings are air-conditioned now. Dress appropriately and you'll be fine.
And treat anything you read in Trip Advisor with caution!

Moses
July 4th, 2022, 16:38
So for my very 1st trip to Thailand this Year i booked October-Novembre since i want to see Ayutthaya (Since im a History lover)
and because i cant handle hot humidity well, so BKK and Pattaya should also be Okay (i hope)

However in the long term i am looking for a Destination for the month May, since October-Novembre is for me the best time to travel to hot places like the Middle East to check Historic Sites (because the temperature is much better.)

SO is Pattaya really THAT bad with humidity in May as i read on Google/Tripadvisor ?
I would only go for the Boys/Nightlife. Is there anything i could do to lower its effects ? (handfan or something/anything ?)

Or if your from western europe and cant handle humidity, just avoid this month all together... :(

April-May are two hottest months in Thailand

Max6969
July 4th, 2022, 17:25
April-May are two hottest months in Thailand

And humid all the time or does it lower at night when going out ?
I hear Pattaya has a (small) breeze of wind from the sea that helps... ?

pong
July 4th, 2022, 17:59
Both-its indeed about the worst time of yr (in westerners ideas)- hot AND humid-just before the rains come and bring refreshiments. Lowest prices too-and the time when Thai kids get their ´summer´ holidays from school- for very much same reason.
Best alternative for that time of yr for Asean tropics is IMHO INdonesia-the part thats south of equator (Java, Bali). History, monuments and willing guys too-plus its all readable and the language is very easy to learn. Cheaper as Thaild-but more primitive in many respects too (lets say ´more 3d world´)

Moses
July 4th, 2022, 18:30
And humid all the time or does it lower at night when going out ?
I hear Pattaya has a (small) breeze of wind from the sea that helps... ?

You will feel breeze on the beach and it helps... but in city you will feel hot air from walls and pavement, smell from sewage system... Bangkok is 10 times worst at that time than Pattaya is, but still Aprill-May isn't the best time for sure... +37C in shadow? easy...

Pattaya weather records:

Highest Temperature 37.7 °C at 2:19 PM on 21 April 2015
Highest Dew Point 30.6 °C at 1:45 PM on 05 May 2021
Highest Apparent Temperature 45.6 °C at 12:19 PM on 06 May 2020
Highest Heat Index 55.4 °C at 1:45 PM on 05 May 2021
Highest Humidity 100 % at 8:23 PM on 24 May 2012

davidmelba
July 4th, 2022, 18:51
I have been to pattaya in May and it is very uncomfortable. I basically stayed at my hotel and waited for nightfall before venturing out. You can be dripping sweat in 3 minutes time if you are just walking down a street to go to 7/11. Unless you really have to, I would avoid May and April like the plague.

Oliver2
July 4th, 2022, 21:02
I suppose that if you plan to wander around the city, you will become too hot. I certainly do here in London when we have our annual three weeks of hot weather. So I don't do it.
But Pattaya? really? almost every building has a/c, there is shade, even in Second Road and miles of beaches, also with shade.

Don't discourage punters. I'll be there in a week and the fact that it is the rainy season has made no difference to my decision to go.

Anyway, having spent some time in Egypt a few years ago, Pattaya's heat seems rather tame to me. It is not that much different to the Mediterranean climate at this time of year...except wetter. And anyway. the rain comes in short, refreshing bursts.

davidmelba
July 4th, 2022, 21:23
Oliver, I do see your point about not discouraging punters but if he is from North America or a mild cool climate it could be pretty uncomfortable if you like to spend time outside. If he has few options on travel dates, then by all means go!

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 00:42
Both-its indeed about the worst time of yr (in westerners ideas)- hot AND humid-just before the rains come and bring refreshiments. Lowest prices too-and the time when Thai kids get their ´summer´ holidays from school- for very much same reason.
Best alternative for that time of yr for Asean tropics is IMHO INdonesia-the part thats south of equator (Java, Bali). History, monuments and willing guys too-plus its all readable and the language is very easy to learn. Cheaper as Thaild-but more primitive in many respects too (lets say ´more 3d world´)

I WAS thinking of Java, it does have great monuments, however with the Middle East being mostly "not Gay friendly" (i am being WAY to nice here), going to another Islamic country in the year isnt that appealing... specially to hookup with guys... im so tired of sneaking around and hiding, its 1 of the reasons im doing Thailand this year and Tokyo next year

I guess i COULD go in September instead of May, would that be better ? (i mean here in Europe its about the same temp and its High season so very expensive, but maybe Thailand isnt ? )

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 00:48
Oliver, I do see your point about not discouraging punters but if he is from North America or a mild cool climate it could be pretty uncomfortable if you like to spend time outside. If he has few options on travel dates, then by all means go!

True, im from Western Europe so.....
would September be better or not really ?
( normally i travel in March / May / September / November , however March and November are lower prices for European citytrips and Middle east has better temperature. I hate May and September :rolleyes: its so difficult to find places that are not hot and low on hordes of tourists. FYI the only reason i travel 4 times a year is Because i look for low seasons or i would never be able to afford it :D )

I guess September or May would be my only options.... which is better ?

gerefan2
July 5th, 2022, 01:29
September is the wet season. Some very, very heavy rain and usually flooding in Pattaya.
Look here under Rainfall... http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Records.html

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 17:22
So would September be bettter ?
I would just go for Pattaya and the nightlife.

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 17:24
September is the wet season. Some very, very heavy rain and usually flooding in Pattaya.
Look here under Rainfall... http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Records.html

So May hot and humid, September rainy season.
But is September only rain or also hot and humid combo ?
Cause if its only rain i guess september is the least bad of the 2 ;)

davidmelba
July 5th, 2022, 17:52
To be perfectly honest it is a tough choice to make because both months are right not really ideal at all. November December January February are the best by far. I have never been able to go on those preferred months and even though it is uncomfortable you will still enjoy your holiday whichever month you choose.

Moses
July 5th, 2022, 18:21
So would September be bettter ?
I would just go for Pattaya and the nightlife.

In September it will be like +28|+32 С degree at day time and about +25|+27 С degree at night. If you are OK with rains what usually are very intensive but short (30-60 min), then you'll be OK. Sky will be mostly cloudy.

For me September in Pattaya is for sure better than April-May.

maump
July 5th, 2022, 18:53

you probably already looked...
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,pattaya,Thailand

if you just want hot men and not hot temperature. try Medellin or Bogota in may. food isn't great, not as safe, but the men are very good.

bkkguy
July 5th, 2022, 20:00
So May hot and humid, September rainy season.
But is September only rain or also hot and humid combo ?

officially Thailand has three seasons - cool, hot, rainy

most foreigners recognise these three seasons as hot, fuckin hot. and fuckin hot and wet

thirty years of living in Bangkok and regular trips to Pattaya at any time of the year has shown me that there are plenty of options to help deal with the heat and rain at any time of the year, even in Pattaya! air-conditioning is a wonderful thing in hotels, malls, restaurants and taxis (I never use Baht buses or tuk-tuks) - even the open-air bar beers in Jomtien Complex usually have sufficient fans (as well as "fans"), and an afternoon nap avoids the worst of the rain in the rainy season!

Oliver2
July 5th, 2022, 20:51
I'm interested to note the interest this topic has aroused. The weather has never been an issue for me during the seventy-five visits I've made. I don't mind the odd rainstorm, even a day of flooding (up to a foot of water in Boyztown we once experienced), nor the days when it is dull and close, nor when the sun is blazing. And as bkkguy points out, a/c is ubiquitous.

There has been one exception to this; a September week in Krabi. We knew we were taking a chance....and it rained everyday. But Krabi is a beach location; if you aren't on the beach or on boat trips, there's not much to do. And so we were stuck in our hotel.

But Pattaya? no problem for me. And I'm someone who moans about hot weather in London.

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 21:56
I'm interested to note the interest this topic has aroused. The weather has never been an issue for me during the seventy-five visits I've made. I don't mind the odd rainstorm, even a day of flooding (up to a foot of water in Boyztown we once experienced), nor the days when it is dull and close, nor when the sun is blazing. And as bkkguy points out, a/c is ubiquitous.

There has been one exception to this; a September week in Krabi. We knew we were taking a chance....and it rained everyday. But Krabi is a beach location; if you aren't on the beach or on boat trips, there's not much to do. And so we were stuck in our hotel.

But Pattaya? no problem for me. And I'm someone who moans about hot weather in London.

:lol:
Well im surprised to, i just dont want to sit in Pattaya looking for a guy when im soaking wet from the humidity :bye:
Even i would not be intrested for any amount of fee.

Belgium also gets humid now and because of that i just want to make sure i dont pick the "worst humid time" to go.
Dessert heat i can handle,
rain no problem,
but humidity.... well i aint a pretty picture :lol:

But i think September would be my better option, not like it rains ALL day and an umbrella me has :yahoo_mini:

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 22:03
you probably already looked...
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,pattaya,Thailand

if you just want hot men and not hot temperature. try Medellin or Bogota in may. food isn't great, not as safe, but the men are very good.

Well...they do look nice but no offense the Americas dont do it for me.
Europe and the Middle East is my usual go to (its short and cheap flights) for History trips
I hope Asia will be added to that list :)) both for Historic sites and the Guys :dirol_mini:

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 22:05
In September it will be like +28|+32 С degree at day time and about +25|+27 С degree at night. If you are OK with rains what usually are very intensive but short (30-60 min), then you'll be OK. Sky will be mostly cloudy.

For me September in Pattaya is for sure better than April-May.

Hmmm
I do think September would be better then.
I do prefer actuall rain instead of humidity in the air.
And +/- 30°C is okay to me. :drink:

Max6969
July 5th, 2022, 22:09
To be perfectly honest it is a tough choice to make because both months are right not really ideal at all. November December January February are the best by far. I have never been able to go on those preferred months and even though it is uncomfortable you will still enjoy your holiday whichever month you choose.

True, its that i try to avoid that "High Season", also i prefer those months to do European Citytrips for the low prices :clapping:
I guess compromises are always there when avoiding the high seasons. September does look more appealing then May. Thanks

bkkguy
July 6th, 2022, 20:12
And +/- 30°C is okay to me. :drink:

the devil is in the details - my weather app keeps telling things like "Current Temperature 34°C (feels like 40°C)"

maump
July 6th, 2022, 22:28
True, its that i try to avoid that "High Season", also i prefer those months to do European Citytrips for the low prices :clapping:

How much higher is the high season for hotels and boy costs? especially this year with covid recover still in progress?

How do you work the visa.. or visa exempt to stay 90 days? (not to hijack this thread)

Max6969
July 7th, 2022, 00:14
How much higher is the high season for hotels and boy costs? especially this year with covid recover still in progress?

How do you work the visa.. or visa exempt to stay 90 days? (not to hijack this thread)

Well its my 1st time to Thailand :blush: so i cant really say since i lack experience.
But in general the High Seasons (when the weather is good or Schoolvacation period) is Always pricier in all things.
So if you want to travel much and dont care about weather try to go in Low Seasons like me :dirol_mini:
But for Thailand you should ask a more experienced traveller here :)

maump
July 7th, 2022, 05:16
But in general the High Seasons (when the weather is good or Schoolvacation period) is Always pricier in all things.
So if you want to travel much and dont care about weather try to go in Low Seasons like me :dirol_mini:
But for Thailand you should ask a more experienced traveller here :)

I have been in thailand twice 2016 may 15 days and 29 days october 2016. so I have been there in Low... but now I am looking to escape my winter in USA. 2022 went to Colombia.

davidmelba
July 7th, 2022, 05:25
A couple of quick answers... Some boys will go short time for 1000 or 1500 Or if a real primadonna 2000.. I'm over 65 I never paid more than 1500. I usually offer 3000 for overnight but I guess I am overpaying, but I hate to be cheap.
As far as a 90 day Visa if you are in America go to Thai embassy USA and you will find information on all that stuff. There is an official website in America for Americans traveling to Thailand ,you just have to Google it.

davidmelba
July 7th, 2022, 05:31
To be clear...of course the mos beautiful
boys generally need more. If you are not too picky like I am, then 1000 or 1200 will usually do the trick. The best advise I can give is to make sure you are clean, with fresh breath and nice clothes. And always remember to smile a lot as it means a great deal in Thailand.

maump
July 7th, 2022, 05:41
A couple of quick answers... Some boys will go short time for 1000 or 1500 Or if a real primadonna 2000.. I'm over 65 I never paid more than 1500. I usually offer 3000 for overnight but I guess I am overpaying, but I hate to be cheap.
As far as a 90 day Visa if you are in America go to Thai embassy USA and you will find information on all that stuff. There is an official website in America for Americans traveling to Thailand ,you just have to Google it.

Thanks for the quick info. In 2016 low season after a week in BKK of different 1500 STs every night, I came to Pattaya and did LT with two boys (I kept one for 7 days) for 3000b. LT we arranged was essentially 24 hr a day, traveling touring eating drinking fucking. just some breaks for him to do personnel stuff.

I have been reading a lot about how to stay longer. the multi-entry tourist visa is dead. and I can't quite see how you can get to the retirement visa conditions. need a real address with lease to open a bank account. need bank account with 800kb for 2 months. but getting to those condition seems difficult right now. so just do 30 day extensions or visa runs??

I'd like to open a local account and since the exchange rate is so favorable, & move over a bit of money. but.. guess I will just go to Forex and buy baht.

litefoot2
July 9th, 2022, 07:23
Max, most any body adjusts to Thailand's humidity. Three things come to mind: 1. factor in 24-48 hours after arrival to physically adjust to the time, flight fatigue and general travel stress. You never hit the ground running. 2. hydrate -- have a water bottle with you anytime outside your hotel. 3. Bring only tested footwear -- no new shoes for your trip.

thaiophilus
July 9th, 2022, 23:52
Hydrate, but no need to lug large amount of water around. Water and a variety of hot and cold drinks are available for modest prices in every 7-11 and Family Mart, which you will find on almost every street corner in urban Thailand.

litefoot2
July 11th, 2022, 05:32
Max, most any body adjusts to Thailand's humidity. Three things come to mind: 1. factor in 24-48 hours after arrival to physically adjust to the time, flight fatigue and general travel stress. You never hit the ground running. 2. hydrate -- have a water bottle with you anytime outside your hotel. 3. Bring only tested footwear -- no new shoes for your trip.

One other thing: clothing should be all cotton as far as possible. Forgo high polyester content.

thaiophilus
July 11th, 2022, 16:56
Not all polyester is the same. Modern "technical" fabrics are mostly synthetic, and designed for extreme weather.

Looking at one of my Rohan shirts, it's 57% polyamide, 43% polyester, feels like cotton but wicks the moisture away so it doesn't develop sodden sweat patches.
It can be washed in the shower, drip-dried within a few hours and doesn't need ironing.

litefoot2
July 12th, 2022, 01:10
Not all polyester is the same. Modern "technical" fabrics are mostly synthetic, and designed for extreme weather.

Looking at one of my Rohan shirts, it's 57% polyamide, 43% polyester, feels like cotton but wicks the moisture away so it doesn't develop sodden sweat patches.
It can be washed in the shower, drip-dried within a few hours and doesn't need ironing.

Thanks for the footnotes. I've found cotton always reliable but will be experimenting with Polyamide when I visit in August.

I've always experienced standard polyester as itchy/sticky in any warmer climate.

a447
July 12th, 2022, 12:22
You can't beat linen.

Max6969
August 20th, 2022, 21:20
time when Thai kids get their ´summer´ holidays from school- for very much same reason.

Well i do like to avoid crowded schoolholiday seasons.
But i just checked the "School- Public Holidays in Thailand" and Summer Break starts in June, not May (Unless the info is incorrect?)
Is it busy in May ?

aot871
August 21st, 2022, 04:05
As has been said before , stay away in April may and June

colmx
August 21st, 2022, 06:21
I have been to Pattaya at songkran in April for 16 of the last 20 years

Can't recommend it highly enough!

Oliver2
August 21st, 2022, 16:52
Pattaya was hot when I was there recently. So what? It wasn't as hot as London last week where, unlike in Pattaya, I had to sleep without a/c. Or try to.

In the mornings we swam in the hotel pools and then visited one of the malls for lunch- they are all air-conditioned- and relaxed in the afternoon and enjoyed ourselves.
In the evening, it was cooler and we went again for dinner. In air-conditioned restaurants.

At no stage was the heat a problem. A wet, cool morning was but that's another story.

I wish I were still there. Whatever the weather.

catawampuscat
August 21st, 2022, 18:11
Moisture wicking synthetic is the only way to go. Cotton the worst in hot humid climate. It gets damp and stays damp.

maump
August 26th, 2022, 19:06
You can't beat linen.

I like to travel light, not bringing lots of clothes. how is availability of larger sizes. I certainly never saw much on the street shops that would fit. where do expats shop for clothes and international food items?

pong
August 27th, 2022, 00:55
Specific food items from the countries which deliver loads of expats can-at a price-and usually only in those shops in areas with a higher concentration of those-in the well known hypermarket chains that are everywhere in TH-used to be Tesco (UK), Carrefour (FR, first to give up) and BigC (started also as joint venture with FR/Casino-since then took over all Carrfr and is now all Thai) and supermarkets TOPs-originally run/set up by the dutch (Ahold)-and since also sold off to Thai., the Belgians (Food Lion, by delHaize) very soon gave up and sold to TOPs. Plus that-like also about anywhere in Europe in ethnic areas-there will be ´local food shops´ catering to them. Plus that the last yrs online ordering has taken a big take-off. MOst expats are married or have relation with Thai ladies and instruct them how to make their favorite foods, with what there is locally.
Clothes: again: TH abounds with very cheap tailors-make to demand. I am quite the opposite-my small size is here in EUR often hard to get and thus TH is for me a great place to buy. But the nasty thing is that textiles are not properly labelled, as they are in EUR so you can never be sure if its like 100% cotton/silk or not. There are also 1000s of stands with 2nd hand clothing imported from western countries and with proper labels-they say these were meant as aid for Cambodia and they could get more of it by selling to the Thai.......But this makes shopping rather an adventure-you will never know what there is there/that time etc.-time waster

gerefan2
August 29th, 2022, 23:14
This was the view first thing this morning before the storm struck! Some very unusual cloud formations indeed. Looked awesome.

By the way it has been so humid the last 3 weeks I have decided not to revisit in August /September again. Circumstances forced it on me this time.

Same temperatures as always (30C) but the humidity has been a killer for me.

Kenny
August 30th, 2022, 08:58
This was the view first thing this morning before the storm struck! Some very unusual cloud formations indeed. Looked awesome.

By the way it has been so humid the last 3 weeks I have decided not to revisit in August /September again. Circumstances forced it on me this time.

Same temperatures as always (30C) but the humidity has been a killer for me.

It's certainly humid here at the moment, however I'm not sure it's much better any other time of the year...