View Full Version : Things and times that MAKE Thailand "unforgettable"

bao-bao
August 22nd, 2006, 10:08
I kind of like the new tourism slogan for next year, "''Thailand Unforgettable''. It brought back a number of memories of times there. I'm sharing one here - maybe others would care to join the thread and post their own?

bao-bao
-------------------------------------------

Shortly before a trip to Thailand a few years back a beloved recently-retired co-worker went off her meds, and as a result committed suicide in her home, leaving many of us both shocked and saddened. Because there was no real service for her some people didnтАЩt feel the closure they wanted to the tragic event. Having already planned a trip to Isaan I mentioned to my boss I was going to look for some peaceful spot in the countryside outside of Bangkok where I could stop, say a prayer for her and wish her spirit safe passage.

This farewell was on my mind as the swaying train carried me through the green Northeast, but after arriving at my destination the excitement of visiting with my friend and being in a new place pushed it into the backgroundтАж until the day we ventured by scooter the 40-some-odd kilometers to his family home, a tranquil oasis surrounded by the familyтАЩs rice fields, coconut palms and lush greenery.

After a short visit with his family, my friend noticed that the afternoon light coming through the vents in the cinder block living room wall was turning gold as the afternoon drew to a close, and reminded me that IтАЩd wanted to walk again out through the fields to the nearby reservoir to see the sunset. Getting off of my butt seemed like a good idea, as IтАЩd still not gotten all of the feeling back into it after riding so long on the back of the scooter from town, and sitting on the tile floor visiting hadnтАЩt helped at all.

We took a different route this time, and when we turned west a few minutes later I saw what I immediately knew was тАЬthe spotтАЭ to say goodbye to my old friend. I said to my Thai friend тАЬWill you wait for me here? ThereтАЩs something I need to do for a few minutes.тАЭ He asked what, and I briefly explained why I was pausing along our walk. He nodded his understanding and I made my way down the bank we were walking along to the edge of a side bay of the main reservoir. Stretching to the far horizon were thousands of lotus leaf pads, highlighted here and there with blossoms and buds, the buds reaching skyward from the now rose-colored water as if offering a wai to the heavens. The leaves floating on the illuminated surface still held rain drops from the afternoonтАЩs rain that now sparkled like diamonds in the sunset. It was silent except for my own heartbeat and the soft gentle drone of the insects, and I spoke to my late friend Evelyn for a few minutes, the tears coming freely as I wished her a better life on her next journey.

I turned to head back up the bank and saw my friend still standing there, watching me but not saying a word. When I reached him he looked into my red eyes and silently took my hand as we walked the rest of the way to where we had often gone before, the main shore of the reservoir. After standing there quietly for a few minutes he gave my hand a gentle squeeze and asked тАЬYou better now?тАЭ тАЬYes, thanksтАЭ I said, тАЬthat was just what I needed.тАЭ He looked up at me and said тАЬIf I die, will you come here and do this for me?тАЭ тАЬOf course,тАЭ I replied, somewhat surprised at his question тАЬbut IтАЩd rather not think about that right now. You have many, many more years ahead of you.тАЭ тАЬWho knows?тАЭ he said, and we turned to walk back to his home, his family and dinner. It was a walk, a talk and a memory I will never forget.

http://upload4.postimage.org/921416/P8091622_W.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/921416/photo_hosting.html)

lonelywombat
August 22nd, 2006, 10:15
Thanks for sharing that. It gives me a lot to think about.

I really appreciate you reaching closure and that new understanding with BS

August 22nd, 2006, 10:33
Thank you bao bao, that was beautifully written and very emotional.

August 22nd, 2006, 12:12
Very touching bao-bao.

It's interesting how places like Thailand make you want to do this for people and loved ones who have died or who are less fortunate than yourself.

When-ever I drive around Thailand, I buy those heavenly scented garlands made from jasmine buds etc, and hang them in the car, then when I reach my destination I stop and find a suitable spot to hang them, usually a pretty tree or float them down a charming brook. In this moment I always say a prayer for someone I know. When ireach out to place them, quiet spontaneously I always seem know immediately who I wish to bless . I am not a religious person so my prayer is usually just a heartfelt declaration of love.

Well on purpose I usually avoid if I can, going back along the same road. However on one time due to popular request, I decided to do this, as everyone wanted to eat those nasty sweet jammy things again, that look like grubs infesting pieces of soggy bamboo. I felt a certain apprehension as I had to pass by the place where I had only three days before placed a garland. Somehow I thought this would be bad luck, so I speeded up at about the same area where I thought I had placed it.
However my nephew who has an unerring eye, spotted the spot and demanded I stop so he could place the new one we had, which had wilted beyond recognition in the 34+% while we ate our lunch. So before I knew it I had pulled up beside the road at a small yellow flowered twig where I had placed the garland, and can you believe, where I had placed my single garland was now a mound of them almost as high as the shrub itself.

One of my dearest and long departed horses, Iolanthe would have loved that, she loved frisking tall patches of wild flowers, and it was to her that I had said my prayer and sworn eternal love.

bao-bao
August 26th, 2006, 02:20
That was a WONDERFUL story. The smell of jasmine takes me back to LOS wherever I happen to catch the scent. I like to keep one or two hanging in my hotel room there, also.