PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite place to eat in Bangkok?

bao-bao
August 21st, 2006, 07:17
OK - let's not open the cheeseburger debate again... how about your favorite spot to eat in Bangkok?

Comfort food being what it is there are always the chain places, but I mean something away from that. It can be a small hole-in-the-wall place, a long-standing stall or stand someplace specific or a finer spot.

Here are a few places I've tried and enjoyed over the years to start things off:

1) Mango Tree, 37 Soi Tantawan, across from the Tawana Ramada
Bright, lively and serves good food - this was my first dinner on my first visit to LOS, so always holds a soft spot for me

2) Just One, somewhat in the same area, as I recall, but I don't know for sure... anyone?
Outdoors, surrounded by apartments, it's a nice spot on a warm night. Good food, good prices.

3) Toh-Plue, out in the maelstrom of stalls they call "JJ Market," or Chatuchak.
The food was nice, but the aircon was such a welcome break from staggering around in the heat that I'd probably have eaten most anything to sit and rest a while here. The service was great, and you can people watch from the window booths.

OK... your turn. Give it some thought - it may renew a nice memory.

August 21st, 2006, 08:03
Nice idea Bao-Bao :)

A few of mine:

1. le Banyan -- Sukhumvit Soi 8
Fabulous French Food, and the only place to get 'Rouen' duck in Asia

2. le Dalat Indochine -- Sukhumvit Soi 23
There are so many good Vietnamese restaurants in Bangkok, but this on, an old Rama V era house set in lovely gardens, is my favourite

3. Eat Me -- Soi Pipat (off Soi Convent)
Dinner for 2 = 4 starters + 2 bottles of wine

4. Suan Lum Night Bazaar (corner of Wireless Road and Rama IV)
Spicy Chiang Mai sausages, wood fired pizza, towers of ice cold beer and buckets of atmosphere

August 21st, 2006, 10:26
My favorite used to be the Whole Earth restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 26, but it is no longer there. My second choice would be the Whole Earth Restaurant on Lang Suan. Half of the appeal of the one on Soi 26 was that it was an old colonial-type house with teak floors and barefoot waiters, but toward the end they were "modernizing" it, removing the outdoor fountain in the process, and hence destroying its charm.

Also worthy of mention is the Jim Thompson Restaurant on the soi running off of Soi Saladaeng.

(I haven't been to BKK for dinner in quite a while, so I hope the Whole Earth on Lang Suan is still there!)

August 21st, 2006, 10:39
... is a serious thread about serious eateries, but I have to say that the most enjoyable meal(s) I have had in Bangkok were spent with my Thai friend, sat on plastic stools you see toddlers sat upon, at 1.00am in the morning, one foot away from Suriwong road at a little roadside Thai food stall near the Tarntawan Hotel and Tawan Bar. Real Isan food that my guy loved, and went back for seconds with a great big smile on his face. Rice x 3, meat dish x 3, side veggies, two cups of water from a great big tub = baht 60 - happy times :cheers:

manfarang-old
August 21st, 2006, 11:23
1) Mango Tree, 37 Soi Tantawan, across from the Tawana Ramada
Bright, lively and serves good food - this was my first dinner on my first visit to LOS, so always holds a soft spot for me
2) Just One, somewhat in the same area, as I recall, but I don't know for sure... anyone?
Outdoors, surrounded by apartments, it's a nice spot on a warm night. Good food, good prices.

BF and I like Just One very much, but I should point out that it is in the Sathorn district on the same soi as the Malaysia Hotel, whereas Mango Tree is in Silom.

August 21st, 2006, 11:42
Aaaeeeya!!!!!!!!

If only there was some form of permanent restaurant review here, we wouldn't have to rehash restaurants over and over again ad nauseam, which could also describe the Mango tree. However.....

The torch lit Thai restaurant , nestled under a giant venerated banyan tree on the romantic Chaophraya river at the Peninsular hotel is scrumptiously perfect. Built out of teak and set in serene garden courtyard surroundings, on the river, that are becoming rare in Bang Kok these days, is Thiptara.

Very expensive, but worth it for a memorable evening out with your loved one, who is sure to be overwhelmed by your generosity and charmed by the loveliest of waiters in the whole of Bangkok. Book, as it is usually full, there are river seats, directly on the water, nice, but noisy and smelly if a long tailed boat decides to stop for the tourists to snap your picture, but also a bit hot from the torches lining the front, very popular with first timers. Then there are charming raised pavilions, cosy and intimate also with river views but set just a bit back, so you can watch the boats pass by silently and engage in light gentle chatter and have all the privacy you desire whilst still being able to discreetly size up the neighbours.

The food is exquisitely cooked spiced and blended, a fine selection of Thai dishes, served in a traditional yet inspirational way. The music is soft and gentle and will soothe your brow, produced by a talented and gifted mahori ensemble that blends rather than competes with the atmosphere..

Getting there is part of the romance. From the sky train or water taxi stop on the other-side of the river, take the short trip on their complementary boat and glide across the water to the charming wooden pier opposite.

Rating: ******

August 21st, 2006, 12:34
BUA about 100 metres up on the left hand side of Convent Road (across Silom Road opposite Silom 4).

Excellent food, excellent service, reasonably priced for an indoor restaurant. Is very popular with Thai office types.

Judge all such establishments by how full they get and BUA has a constant turnover of clients all evening.

Sen Yai
August 21st, 2006, 12:39
I can recommend Wai Thai which is on the other side of Silom Road, opposite Soi Thaniya, near Roti Boy.

It's just a small cafe with some bar-style seating where you can watch the cooks prepare your meal. They serve a limited menu of Thai favourites, with the twist that all ingredients are light and fresh and they claim to use no oil (although I did see some used to lubricate my griddled chicken).

They also have a limited range of fresh fruit juice 'cocktails' with names like 'Happy day' and 'Sunny day'.

Great for lunch (but can be full of Silom office workers) or a light supper before hitting the bars. Those with an 'American appetite' will find the portion sizes small!

August 21st, 2006, 12:41
I recently had the best Cheeseburger I have ever had at "Malee" on Sathorn Soi 1. The worst Cheeseburger I have ever had followed a few days later, poolside at one of Bangkok's better hotels.

August 21st, 2006, 12:44
Buffet at Landmark Hotel.

allieb
August 21st, 2006, 13:12
Zanotti Italian Restaurant in soi Saladeng underneath the Colonnade is where I always go about a week into my trip when a break from Thai food is due. I went with Bf last trip and can tell you that 2 cocktails, 2 starters, 2 main courses a carafe of wine and one desert came to 2,300 baht. Not a place to go every night but a special occasion The atmosphere is great its always full and you need to book a table. If you don't be prepare to wait or be told to come back later.The food and the decor is better than the top Italian restaurants in London, and at a third of the price. Don't buy bottled wine the house carafe of Chianti is lovely at around 400 baht a half litre

Apart from that I like the Sphinxin Silom for the evening. about 500 baht a head

Black Canyon in Silom Central for breakfast. Coffee and fried rice with shredded pork on top about 120 baht

S & P branches all over Bangkok for lunches. Beer, rice and a meat dish about 200 baht

I'm going to print this entire post and check out all your restaurants next trip. I think recommendations to restaurants are always welcome We ladies know and love our food.

TrongpaiExpat
August 21st, 2006, 13:42
I did not realize that you guys ate so much Western food. Some of the posts list all Western restaurants.

Likes and dislikes in food are so diverse to be almost meaningless to any one individual, but what the hell, I have to go with O..Ho.... I keep going back again and again. I rank it number three.

Second would be this place that just North of the Klong near MBK, off a side street, then another side street, down an ally and up a drive way to a opening in the wall, no sign, just a light. Nice romantic garden setting and excellent Thai food. Menu only in Thai. Very popular and full on weekends.

But, my teenung place to eat is at home wif the BF and me doing the cooking.

August 21st, 2006, 13:49
S&P? Oh, come on. That would be like recommending Denny's for a fine meal in the US.

August 21st, 2006, 13:59
The torch lit Thai restaurant , nestled under a giant venerated banyan tree on the romantic Chaophraya river at the Peninsular hotel is scrumptiously perfect. Built out of teak and set in serene garden courtyard surroundings, on the river, that are becoming rare in Bang Kok these days, is Thiptara.

Very expensive, but worth it for a memorable evening out with your loved one, who is sure to be overwhelmed by your generosity and charmed by the loveliest of waiters in the whole of Bangkok. Book, as it is usually full, there are river seats, directly on the water, nice, but noisy and smelly if a long tailed boat decides to stop for the tourists to snap your picture, but also a bit hot from the torches lining the front, very popular with first timers. Then there are charming raised pavilions, cosy and intimate also with river views but set just a bit back, so you can watch the boats pass by silently and engage in light gentle chatter and have all the privacy you desire whilst still being able to discreetly size up the neighbours.

The food is exquisitely cooked spiced and blended, a fine selection of Thai dishes, served in a traditional yet inspirational way. The music is soft and gentle and will soothe your brow, produced by a talented and gifted mahori ensemble that blends rather than competes with the atmosphere..

Getting there is part of the romance. From the sky train or water taxi stop on the other-side of the river, take the short trip on their complementary boat and glide across the water to the charming wooden pier opposite.

Rating: ******

Now thats what i call a review! Just make you want to go asap!

TrongpaiExpat
August 21st, 2006, 14:13
Cedric wrote: "Very expensive, but worth it for a memorable evening out with your loved one, who is sure to be overwhelmed by your generosity "

I don't think so, unless your loved one is a upper middle class Bangkonian. Most of the boys in the palor with middle aged Farangs are Issan boys and would much rather sit on the floor in a circle over a dish of som tam and kow neiw with friends than sit in some expensive place with some western concept of romance.

Overwhelmed more by just how strange a Farang can be more than being overwhelmed by your generosity. Probably tinks your a bit ting tong for spending that much on food.

There is a class system in Thailand and most of these boys would not feel comfortable in such a setting. They can be polite and from your point of view seem quite welcome but under the surface there's something else going on.

catawampuscat
August 21st, 2006, 14:18
Really good Thai food with very handsome black T-shirted waiters..There are several, well at least two Anna's ...
Big a/c restaurant with outdoor eating as well and excellent desserts..
For great wood burning oven style pizzas , try
Scuizzi, near Solid Bar area.. The spelling maybe Scussi or Scuzzi or something close to these..really good...

August 21st, 2006, 14:21
Scoozi.

allieb
August 21st, 2006, 14:29
S&P? Oh, come on. That would be like recommending Denny's for a fine meal in the US.

Agreed not a fine meal but perfect for a quick lunch whilst in the shopping center at MBK having done some shopping. A tasty quick Thai lunch and beer I don't know Dennys. but if you are comparing it with S & P I would be happy to grab a quick lunch there.in a USA shopping Mall.

By the way breakfast and lunch I consider a necessity Dinner is a pleasure and I prefer better places.

To Catawampuscat I went to Anna's once with a group of 8 people. Food was bad, one of us had a green curry that was a sort of grey brown color, service even worse. Some of us had eaten our first course and halfway through the main course before others in our group got their first course. All out of joint . I know this is a problem in Thailand but if a restaurant wants to be up market and attract Farang and upper class Thais ,they should get their act together and move away from the street stall type of service The fancy dress of the waiters means nothing if they know nothing

August 21st, 2006, 14:37
Only perfect for a quick lunch if you don't mind recipes that were developed in a chemistry lab rather than in a kitchen. Seriously...I'm unaware of any S&P location where there is no real, hand-cooked, delicious meal available within a hundred meters of so. You'd have to be pretty lacking in culinary curiosity -- or just plain lazy -- to waste a meal in Thailand eating at a plastic fast-food chain like S&P.

August 21st, 2006, 17:30
Cedric wrote: "Very expensive, but worth it for a memorable evening out with your loved one, who is sure to be overwhelmed by your generosity "

I don't think so, unless your loved one is a upper middle class Bangkonian. Most of the boys in the palor with middle aged Farangs are Issan boys and would much rather sit on the floor in a circle over a dish of som tam and kow neiw with friends than sit in some expensive place with some western concept of romance.

Overwhelmed more by just how strange a Farang can be more than being overwhelmed by your generosity. Probably tinks your a bit ting tong for spending that much on food.

There is a class system in Thailand and most of these boys would not feel comfortable in such a setting. They can be polite and from your point of view seem quite welcome but under the surface there's something else going on.

I don't think so myself necessarily Tringpai', it might of course be slightly uncomfortable for a farming village peasant at first, sitting on a proper chair but I really think they will feel comfortable after even a few seconds there. I always ask for extra cushions anyway. You are over romanticising the oil drum barbecue and cloth rag shoe occasion here.
This is by no means a pretentious restaurant, and the food is genuine, possibly more so than many other places in Bangkok, it is also not a western concept of a romantic evening out, but a very Thai one, and I am sure as unsophisticated as you would like to paint Issan boys, they would recognise the quality of the food music and setting immediately.

I have seen a number of happy gay couples eating there, and believe me, no one was finding it a hardship. I think you are wrong about a class system, at this level anyway. At this level even if you arrived with a Congolese tribes person with nothing on but a penis gourd, you would be welcome, and in that spirit I can't help but think your average Issan gay for pay wouldn't be anything but delighted.

I have also as fatman also said, had excellent meals with stunning atmosphere, sitting on plastic chairs in the gutter, under fluorescent tubing while watching flies being executed in electric traps overhead. The place is less important, the food company and service are however. Don't ask me to remember these places they are usually a totally spontaneous affair and don't hand out calling cards.

August 21st, 2006, 20:14
S&P is quite good if you're in a hurry.. the one in Silom Center is also quite GLB friendly, tons of couples who may have just hooked up on the 3rd floor toliet. Make sure you try the Grilled Chicken Chop... very yummy.

Eat Me now has a fantastic wine list with an excellent selection of NZ/Aussie wines going for about cost price around 1000-1200 bh. And the tuna tartare is to die for. Make sure you save some room for some of the desserts. Darren has a good outfit there and he deserves all the support we can give him.

O..ho is a funny place... the food is authentic enough to please most of my thai friends and my GWM friends love the neighbourhood/ambiance. I think it works quite well... adding a bit of colour to that tired Ngam Duphli area. Sure beats the sour pussies at the Malaysia.

Zanotti has an excellent set lunch during weekdays... Bh 280 for 3 very excellent courses. Compared to the a la cartes at 200-500 per entree, its an wonderful bargain.

Has anyone tried Greyhound at Siam Center? Kuppa in Sukhumvit Soi 24? Very flashy and uber-stylish... great for impressing your hot dates and securing a romp afterwards! :)

TrongpaiExpat
August 21st, 2006, 21:56
As far as upscale food courts go, the one on the ground floor of Lad Phrao Central Shopping mall (Asian fusion) I had some interesting Viet food there made Thai style a few weeks ago.

Much better than the food courts in and near Paragon.

I noticed an add for this NY style deli on Suk 3. I have not been yet, but I someimes feel like something NY Farang and have it on my short list to give it a try. I did try the BKK Subway chain, I like them in US, but something tasted off at he BKK location. Cold cuts are not same-same US.

Brad the Impala
August 22nd, 2006, 00:08
Has anyone tried Greyhound at Siam Center? Kuppa in Sukhumvit Soi 24? Very flashy and uber-stylish... great for impressing your hot dates and securing a romp afterwards! :)

Eaten at Greyhound at Siam Centre, and at Central Chidlom, and at Paragon(I think) too. Good ingredients, good service, enjoyed by bf and me.

For restaurant chains in Bangkok, Fuji is great. Their seafood is consistently excellent.

For noodle soup hard to beat the unnamed Chinese shop at the corner of Saladaeng and Silom. Same decor and recipe for the last twenty years.

Agree with the negative comments regarding Annas. Went to the Saladaeng branch once, and we won't be going back. Black T-shirts and handsome waiters do not a restaurant make, although they might dazzle some punters!

For French, it has to be Le Bouchon, Patpong Two. Unpretentious, relatively inexpensive for the quality, no cuisine minceur here!

sydneyboy
August 22nd, 2006, 04:07
Possibly my favourite restaurant in the world is Le Normandie at the Oriental Hotel. It is almost terrifyingly expensive but for quality of food, service, ambience and the spectacular view over the river it can't be beaten.

August 22nd, 2006, 06:38
I posted this reply before but it never showed up - so here goes again.....

For a very nice afternoon interlude try the elegant Tea at The Erewan Tea Room in the Erewan Shopping mall adjacent to the Grand Hyatt Hotel... You can walk from Siam BTS station on the sky walk, a pleasant stroll - or change there and go to ChitLom Stn and walk back - a shorter stroll. It is on the second floor. Ask for the "Set Tea" and request your favourite blend. It comes with a variuous assortment of goodies, including sticky rice and mango. All for aabout 150 Baht. Don't eat a big lunch! This place was written up in Spice Magazine in July.

Anna's Cafe on Sala Daeng Rd is another favourite of mine. A bit noisy at imes - they have lots of "happy Birthdays", but it is a fun place and the eye candy is great. Mostly Thais but a sprinkling of others as well.

The Monti Restaurant at the Montien Hotel is another favourite. Great food. A bit pricey if you have wine. The Caesar Salad, which is assembled with great show at your table is good. One order enough for 2. Their specialty is pressed duck.

August 22nd, 2006, 07:15
Surprised to read some posters have not enjoyed Anna's Cafe on Soi Saladaeng. It's a regular place for me. And I have been regularly with a fussy eater, who also likes it.
A fun atmosphere, definately gay-friendly, good food in my experience, and some eye candy as a bonus.
Its only drawback for me is that it can be very noisy, with bare surfaces. Like, but not as bad as, all those dreadful trendy cafes in the West where you can't hear yourself think.
Never understood this fashion, and am not going to try further.

Just One in the Soi Ngam Duplii area is also a neat place. Great atmosphere sitting outside on a warm evening, listening to frogs croaking in the gardens around. Food good, cheap, friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

Nearby O-Ho don't do too bad. Thai food is quite good, and Thai persons seem to like it. A rather good American breakfast for the price. Service can be a bit curious sometimes.

Also nearby, and not bad for an affordable steak, is Trajai Steak House. Not the best you'll ever get, but given it is in Thailand where steak is not common, worth a try.
I'm not much on steaks even in the West, but go here a couple of times a year.

Fuji are quite good for a Japanese meal, on Soi Convent, plus many other places I'm sure.

Recommending can be a tricky business, as we all have different likes, and preferences.

wowpow
August 22nd, 2006, 09:05
Fuji on Soi Convent? Must be new. There is one in the Central Silom complex - often with lines at lunchtime. There was a Zen Japanese restaurant there which is similar and they are both excellent chains and great value.

The Fuji at Siam Paragon issue line tickets now!

Sen Yai
August 22nd, 2006, 10:18
As far as upscale food courts go, the one on the ground floor of Lad Phrao Central Shopping mall (Asian fusion) ........... Trongpai, other Hi-So food courts (that you may already know) include The Loft at Central Chitlom. I think this was the one that started the trend with a range of Asian style fare (Thai, Chinese, Singapore Noodle, Japanese, Viet) and also Italian pizza, fresh juices and 'Western' desserts. All set in a trendy styled zone on the top floor. I've eaten there several times and the food is pretty good.

Also try The 5th at MBK (on the 5th floor :cyclops: ) which opened a few months ago and is a copy of The Loft's style. Here they even have waiters that will bring your order from the food stalls to your table to save you wandering around looking for somewhere to sit, carrying a tray full of food. Service charge: 5 Baht!

Expect to pay 200+ Baht for a meal that might cost 100 Baht in a 'normal' food court.

adman5000
August 22nd, 2006, 10:18
I have enjoyed Scoozi for Pizza, Indian Hut for Indian and actually the best Tom Yong Goong I have had even though not on the menu, Jim Thompson Saladaeng Cafe for quick, good, cheap thai food, and Thai friends enjoy going to Great American Rib Company as they like the outdoor covered area and BBQ. (Although i like ribs at Tony Romas better when i just have to have some American style food.) Zannoti has a good set lunch as someone mentioned otherwise a bit too pricey. I really really liked the German Brewhouse where they have live entertainment and my thai friends loved it as well. Great reasonable German food, good beer they brew, superb service, and nice show with Issan country music along with other live music. I will have to look up the name.

I have been to Anna's several times - eye candy great, food just ok. Mango Tree was decent Thai Food but I liked saladaeng cafe better..

Has anyone been to place where they liked food and live music?

lonelywombat
August 22nd, 2006, 10:21
The food is OK but I am not visiting BKK for dining, there is often live music and the view from 20 floors up is stunning

Sometimes I will just go up for a few drinks before eating elsewhere, depends on what is on the agenda.

HawaiiBoy
August 26th, 2006, 05:46
There is a seafood restaurant on Soi 24 that my bf delights in for a special meal. It is not cheap, but the selection is enormous. He particularly enjoys selecting a king crab leg (I think because he just can't believe it is for real).

August 26th, 2006, 07:42
I like the buffet lunch at the Novotel Siam Square. Thai and Western, fresh cooked food stations. Not cheap. Last time I was there I pigged out on salmon sashimi. And don't miss the chocolate fountain.

Also like the Indian Sunday lunch buffet at the Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel off Sukhumwit.

Yeah, I like buffets. So sue me.

August 26th, 2006, 11:59
There is a seafood restaurant on Soi 24 that my bf delights in for a special meal.Is that the place with the big "If it swims, we have it" sign? I had always wondered if that place were any good.

manfarang-old
August 26th, 2006, 12:09
Nearby O-Ho don't do too bad. Thai food is quite good, and Thai persons seem to like it. A rather good American breakfast for the price. Service can be a bit curious sometimes.
Also nearby, and not bad for an affordable steak, is Trajai Steak House. Not the best you'll ever get, but given it is in Thailand where steak is not common, worth a try. I'm not much on steaks even in the West, but go here a couple of times a year.

BF and I liked these places as well. Along with Just One, all were very close to our hotel Penguin House. As noted, the steaks at Trajai were adequate and quite reasonably priced, and they also offer an inexpensive, bountiful breakfast, but on the late side as they don't open until 11am. (The time suited us fine.) The owner and staff were very friendly. I think somone on this board mentioned that the owner of O-Ho had relocated from Phuket after losing his prior enterprise to the tsunami.

sjaak327
August 26th, 2006, 17:07
I hardly ever visit restaurants when in Bangkok, if I go I usually go to Vientiane Kitchen in Suk soi 36 at least once in my vacation. My favourite street vendor (where I almost eat daily) is located at the Soi 38 nightmarket, his Kapow Kung is great.

August 26th, 2006, 19:11
There is a seafood restaurant on Soi 24 that my bf delights in for a special meal.Is that the place with the big "If it swims, we have it" sign? I had always wondered if that place were any good.

If that's the place he's talking about, The Seafood Market, we've hit a new low in restaurant recommendations.

AMARETTO-old
September 5th, 2006, 20:47
The Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok is gearing up to host the 7th Annual World Gourmet Festival which will be held between 10-17 September 2006.

Since its inception seven years ago, the World Gourmet Festival has grown in prominence to feature an extraordinary line up of some of the worldтАЩs best chefs. Several food festivals are hosted throughout the world, however, the Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok is one of the few hotels to bring award winning Master Chefs under one roof for a week long celebration of outstanding food, superb wines and to share tips and information on how to create award-winning cuisine.

Participating chefs this year are:

тАв Yoshii Ryuichi, Yoshii, Sydney (Japanese)
тАв Geoff Lindsay, Pearl at the Peak , Hong Kong, Pearl Restaurant and Bar, Melbourne (Modern Australian)
тАв Michael Mina, Michael Mina Bellagio and Seablue and NobHill at MGM Grand, all Las Vegas (Steak and contemporary Californian cuisine)
тАв Sarah Schafer, Frisson, San Francisco (Californian)
тАв Emily Luchetti, Farallon Restaurant, San Francisco (Pastry)
тАв Michael Ginor, Hudson Valley Foie Gras, New York
тАв Peter Gordon, The Providores, London (New Zealand)
тАв Hal Fatema, La Mansouria Restaurant, Paris (Moroccan)
тАв William Ledeuil , Ze Kitchen Galerie, Paris (Modern French)
тАв Ruth Van Waerebeek-Gonzalez, Concha y Toro тАУ (Chilean)
тАв Marco Talamini, La Torre di Spilimbergo тАУ Spilimbergo (Italian)
тАв Vincent Bourdin, Valrhona Chocolates (Pastry)
тАв Robert Joseph Jr., Good Wine Guide
тАв Pitak Srichan, Chief Instructor, Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, Cooking School (Thai)
тАв Nicolas Schneller, Executive Chef, Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok
тАв Philippe Agnese, Executive Pastry Chef тАУ Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok
тАв Satoshi Sawada, Shintaro Chef, Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok

Source : www.asiatraveltips.com/news06/38-WorldG ... ival.shtml (http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news06/38-WorldGourmetFestival.shtml)

September 5th, 2006, 22:10
I love the Lebanon restaurant in the little shopping arcade across from KFC on Silom Rd. There's also a Subway sandwich shop in there too. Lebanon serves great Lebanese food. Lowwer in fat and good for you too.

Try it out some time.

ajarntrade

wowpow
September 6th, 2006, 00:14
Measured by my frequencies of visiting then tops by far is Dick's Cafe in Boy Plaza. The place is so lively and the street cabaret unique and endlessly fascinating. The staff are a delight. Drinks are usually what you oder and there is plenty of the reasl stuff in one's glass. The food is generous and tasty but not gourmet - it's a cafe. Chicken with cashew nuts seems to be everyone's favourite but they also do a descent club sandwich and toasties.

Second is probably The Oriental Bakeries at Central Chitlom, Central World Isetan, Emporium has two one being ultra smart and priced accordingly - that's the one that Mrs Taksin had her handbag stolen when she went to the loo - and another two similar at Siam Paragon though the posh one does not seem to have taken off as yet. The food is bakery stuff but very nicely served - silver plate, linen napkins, fine china and one can enjoy a delicious large slice of quiche, a range of salads in plastic boxes a superb range of cakes and gateaux plus their wonderful reasonably priced ice creams. No booze but some branches have fine wines on sale for takeaway.

Third has to be Saladang Cafe by Jim Thompson. It is on Saladang Soi 1 and is beautifully decorated and has a gorgeous garden. Service is excellent and they have interesting twists - dare I fusion - such as salmon spring rolls and pasta with Thai red curry with duck. A strong favourite is their, Atkins friendly, roast chicken and burgers. Hand hewn fries are large and the best in Thailand. Their own ice creams can be superb. Prices are not too bad but booze is costly and sadly they take last orders around 9 p.m.

I am a fan of Central Chitlom's excellent food court - each stand is run by a specialist restaurant. it does suffer by being crowded at peak times and oddly has to keep the odd licencing hours of a supermarket. I am pleased to hear that there is something similar at MBK. Emporium spent a lot trying something similar but it's a disaster foodwise and the accoustics are terrible - one squeaky baby can ruin a hundred lunches.

Treat time is a visit to Biscotti at the Four Seasons - some of Bangkok's best Italian foods. I love the terrace at The Oriental now delightfully shaded by The Peninsula mid afternoon. Terrific food quickly served and great wines by the glass. A groups of 15 or so went once and they were not fazed and service was deft and quick. Pricey but a must. I have yet to have an occasion important enought to wear a jacket and tie and go to The Normandie at the Oriental but it has a world class reputation.

I have enjoyed meals at Cabbages and Condoms Soi 12 Suckhumvit, and nearby Crepes and Co, Greyhound restaurant are an excellent chain and the food is generally very good. Fuji restaurants are amazingly good and consistent. Papa Alfredo's is amusing - if only it were busier. Smokehouse and Barbecue on the corner of Suriwong and Rama 4 has a great American atmosphere, vast beef sandwiches met with US friends approval and I am looking forward to enjoying their Sunday roast smoked ribbs one day.

On the negative side - and yes I am a fussy retired hotel manager - I remain to be impressed by Anna's, Mango Tree, Scuzzi Restaurant - though I would like to try their pizza and pasta place nearer the road, that fashionable Italian place on Saladang in fact many Italian restarants in Thailand.

If only a few of us had the wordsmith brilliance of A A Gill in The Sunday Times - a recent paragraph read " The place was fullish тАФ a mixture of business people, bottom-sniffing and willy-measuring, a couple of bright and early tourists, and a smug smatter of grinning first-time couples in their night-before clothes, showing off their post-coital glows. I watched a table of half a dozen young professionals listen to their elderly boss, who didnтАЩt draw breath or crack a smile for an hour. They ate like nervous cats, and all wore identical charcoal suits and expressions of stoically born despair." Michael Winner's restaurant reviews are legendary - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,632,00.html

September 9th, 2006, 06:15
1) Sukothai Buffet daytimes

2) Huge Seafood Market in car park next door to Pizza Hut on Sukumvit (opposite side of road to Nana) nites. Near overhead walkway. Fresh and the best

September 13th, 2006, 07:42
Hey, Teepee. Who's the old lady in your avatar? Looks like my sixth grade science teacher. Man, what a bitch she was.

Bob
September 13th, 2006, 08:41
Based on your post immediately above, BG, I'd guess you're now in the seventh grade?

andrewcraig
September 13th, 2006, 09:23
Hey, Teepee. Who's the old lady in your avatar? Looks like my sixth grade science teacher. Man, what a bitch she was.

Interesting he insults someone who posts a pic, when he does not post one himself.

September 13th, 2006, 10:18
If you want to know what I look like, just ask Homintern. He professes to know.