View Full Version : Who here has owned a gay bar in Asia?

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2022, 13:54
I'm curious, who here on SGT has started their own gay bar in SE Asia? What was it like? Any stories and experiences to share, good and/or bad? Pitfalls to be forewarned of aside from the obvious ones?

I can't fucken wait to get mine going. Being holed up and isolated blind, alone and behind a computer in Canada like this has taken its toll, but thankfully paid off. Money is flowing, pandemic is all but over, got a couple great guys whom I fully trust waiting for me in Laos who would absolutely love to help me run a bar, and in general can't wait to get back out there. Not a gogo bar or anything, but just a nice relaxing pub type environment with a bunch of cute, young and gay enterprising guys floating around as staff.

It'll be grant. Some people work out of cubicles in whatever sadville city, I'll work out of a gay bar in SE Asia that I own. That sounds great. Thankfully I'm young enough to still have some lead in my pencil, so should hopefully be good times ahead.

Dodger
February 23rd, 2022, 16:47
[QUOTE=cdnmatt;288110.

......got a couple great guys whom I fully trust waiting for me in Laos .[/QUOTE]

They must be great guys if they've been waiting for you all these years.

Good luck.

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2022, 16:55
They must be great guys if they've been waiting for you all these years.

Good luck.

Well, one I used to live with and he looks back upon that as one of the best times of his life. Now he's stuck in an abusive relationship with a piece of shit Irishman who's poor as dirt which he can't wait to get out of, so he's ready and waiting.

The other I've never actually met in person yet, but we've been in daily contact, and I've always ensured he's taken care of over the years. He's one of the main reasons I was able to keep myself strong over the past couple years as I rebuilt myself, and I know he has just as strong feelings for me, so without question he'll be at the airport to pick me up when I land.

Should be good. It's called karma, being a good person pays off at times.

StevieWonders
February 23rd, 2022, 17:29
Well, one I used to live with and he looks back upon that as one of the best times of his life. Now he's stuck in an abusive relationship with a piece of shit Irishman who's poor as dirt which he can't wait to get out of, so he's ready and waiting.

The other I've never actually met in person yet, but we've been in daily contact, and I've always ensured he's taken care of over the years. He's one of the main reasons I was able to keep myself strong over the past couple years as I rebuilt myself, and I know he has just as strong feelings for me, so without question he'll be at the airport to pick me up when I land.

Should be good. It's called karma, being a good person pays off at times.How have you kept yourself strong in Canada? It’s also not clear from the context whether the best years of his life were the ones he spent working as a prostitute in a bar or the ones he spent living with you. Otherwise what’s the point of this topic? Are you planning to open a boy bar as part of your triumphant return to Asia? And Kim will be at its heart?

Manforallseasons
February 23rd, 2022, 17:56
If cdnmatt is the bartender make sure drinks are served on the honor system.

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2022, 18:05
How have you kept yourself strong in Canada? It’s also not clear from the context whether the best years of his life were the ones he spent working as a prostitute in a bar or the ones he spent living with you. Otherwise what’s the point of this topic? Are you planning to open a boy bar as part of your triumphant return to Asia? And Kim will be at its heart?

What the hell are you on about? Nothing to do with Kim, and no idea how to even contact him anymore. Wish I could though, as would love to catch up with him again, but such is life.

And yeah, had to rebuild myself while I was here.
Figured out this whole blind thing, fiance broke up with me, lost my dogs, realized I was woefully oudated and had to retrain myself within the online software industry and build up new online properties, plus to top it off the Russian mafia just had to go murder my main client of over 9 years. This guy:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/crypto-millionaire-spam-nazi-on-the-run-or-both-b-c-murder-mystery-deepens-1.5265458

What a bunch of assholes.

StevieWonders
February 23rd, 2022, 22:00
… plus to top it off the Russian mafia just had to go murder my main client of over 9 years. This guy:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/crypto-millionaire-spam-nazi-on-the-run-or-both-b-c-murder-mystery-deepens-1.5265458
.No YouTube video?

latintopxxx
February 23rd, 2022, 23:28
....think someone in canada has forgotten to take their medication...

StevieWonders
February 24th, 2022, 03:54
....think someone in canada has forgotten to take their medication...Perhaps arsenal can spare some of his

latintopxxx
February 24th, 2022, 06:25
....thats mean...LOL...

StevieWonders
February 24th, 2022, 06:33
....thats mean...LOL...Just playing to my strengths :devilsh:

maump
February 26th, 2022, 04:14
I'm curious, who here on SGT has started their own gay bar in SE Asia? What was it like? Any stories and experiences to share, good and/or bad? Pitfalls to be forewarned of aside from the obvious ones?

It'll be grant. Some people work out of cubicles in whatever sadville city, I'll work out of a gay bar in SE Asia that I own. That sounds great. Thankfully I'm young enough to still have some lead in my pencil, so should hopefully be good times ahead.

I can only testify to my own failure in the USA at a club. under capitalized, fought by other business owners who controlled the zoning and police, too few people to trust and working a separate 72 hour a week job.

that being said. I will be happy to be your customer! Where will you open the club?

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 04:41
that being said. I will be happy to be your customer! Where will you open the club?

Vientiane. No worries about trust on my end, as the two that will be overseeing the place I fully trust. It'll be their responsibility to keep the rest of the staff in line. I won't be working the place anyway, and will moreless just be a silent owner who hangs out with a beer and laptop, and watches the books, provides advice to the two running it, et al.

Won't view it as a for profit venture anyway. Maybe make some on the exit, but that's probably the best I can hope for. I just think it'd be a great time in life, plus I'd rather the two guys that will be in my life to work for a living instead of hoping I'll just support them, and I know they'd prefer that to.

Not a gogo bar or anything. Nice pub style place, good food, ambient music, and just staffed with a bunch of cute enterprising gay guys looking to cash in on their youth in exchange for providing pleasure to others. I'll make sure they wear good looking work clothes with tight fitting dress pants for everyone though, haha.

StevieWonders
February 26th, 2022, 04:46
Vientiane. .. Not a gogo bar or anything. Nice pub style place, good food, ambient music, and just staffed with a bunch of cute enterprising gay guys looking to cash in on their youth in exchange for providing pleasure to others. I'll make sure they wear good looking work clothes with tight fitting dress pants for everyone though, haha.Have you found out how much "tea money" you'll need to pay the local constabulary? My understanding is the Lao government isn't very friendly towards the type of bar you describe. That was certainly before the pandemic. I guess with your record of having been denied entry after being deported and then black-listed in Thailand they'll be keeping a close eye on you, and that may increase the tea money "premium".

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 05:21
Have you found out how much "tea money" you'll need to pay the local constabulary? My understanding is the Lao government isn't very friendly towards the type of bar you describe. That was certainly before the pandemic. I guess with your record of having been denied entry after being deported and then black-listed in Thailand they'll be keeping a close eye on you, and that may increase the tea money "premium".

Not sure, will have to ask next time I talk to Leo. He knows a Belgium and Laos couple who own the same general type of gay bar, and I don't think they pay anything.

Again, it's not like it's going to be called Toy Boys with doormer, mamasans, loads of young and cute staff wearing nothing but white briefs, and lip sync shows thrown in. It'll be a typical open air pub / restaurant type of place. Only difference is it will be staffed with cute, well dressed gay guys who are welcome to chat to and make plans with the customers at their own desire and discretion.

Think typical beer bar you'd find in Sunnee, but not a hole in the wall type of place. Instead, more of a proper outdoor pub / restaurant type of place.

StevieWonders
February 26th, 2022, 05:51
Not sure, will have to ask next time I talk to Leo. He knows a Belgium and Laos couple who own the same general type of gay bar, and I don't think they pay anything.It's good to know you have a robust, thought-out business plan, with an appropriate SWOT analysis

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 06:54
It's good to know you have a robust, thought-out business plan, with an appropriate SWOT analysis

Oh, go sit on a stick and spin.

If I listened to shit like that, upon going blind and getting deported, I would have been pigeon holed in Canada working as a minimum wage waiter at some dark room restaurant. Fuck that idea, and I'm obviously thrilled that I kept my head down and stuck it out, because it's definitely paid off.

Dreams only come true if you're willing to venture into the unknown, and ignore people who like to put you down due to their own insecurities.

StevieWonders
February 26th, 2022, 07:03
people who like to put you down due to their own insecurities.Surely you realise I enjoy a good Matt put-down because i find it amusing. I’m entranced by the notion that a blind man could work as a waiter in a dark room restaurant. Is there a YouTube video you can share?

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 07:33
Google is your friend.

Those dining rooms in dark room restaurants are pitch black. Naturally, blind folks make good waiters in those places.

christianpfc
February 26th, 2022, 09:02
...as the two that will be overseeing the place I fully trust.
Cringe! Most of my Thai friends, I wouldn't trust to organize a fuck in a brothel*. But situation in Myanmar and Cambodia is better (own experience), and I assume the same applies to Lao, based on friends' experiences. Good luck on both points (trust and oversee).

*Original in German: Dem wuerde ich kaum zutrauen, einen Fick in einem Puff zu organisieren.

I'll make sure they wear good looking work clothes with tight fitting dress pants for everyone though, haha.
How?

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 09:55
True enough, and I guess need to define "trust". There's trust as in you trust someone to not be malicious, steal, and act upon good intentions only. Then there's trust as trust them to competently run an establishment such as that like a well oiled machine.

I'm talking about the former, and am certain the latter will have some bumps in the road, but all part of the fun. If we can manage to just get the place to break even, then I'll be happy.

StevieWonders
February 26th, 2022, 11:57
Not sure, will have to ask next time I talk to Leo. He knows a Belgium and Laos couple who own the same general type of gay bar, and I don't think they pay anything.
Come on, don't be so pessimistic. Putin seems pretty unhinged and demanding right now, plus he has over 6000 nukes at his disposal, so chin up as you might not miss out on the end of humanity.You may never get to open your bar. Have you thought of that?

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2022, 12:02
You may never get to open your bar. Have you thought of that?

Nope, don't bother thinking in that manner. I'm blind, doesn't take much for me to get hit by a car and end up in the morgue, hence no point in worrying about shit like that.

pong
February 26th, 2022, 19:11
Some time since I myself have last been into this peopleś republic, but at least a promise of GOOD food is very promising. From what I remember it was always noodlesoup-though in every province they called it differently. Also remember the screeeching bekpek girls in the bus when they saw a pleasant Lao lady cut the hairs and then the skin of a squirrel- also probably for in the soup.
They have also just opened a brandnew railway between Vientiane and the chinese border, soon to link up into mainland China. Onward to Thailand is to follow-over the 9th friendship bridge. So even if the Lao will not turn up in masses, the word will soon spread to the ever eagle Chinese-giving you a headstart in success!
(myself remember that Lao guy once in a BKK massageshop-pure nature from tip till toe).
Laos has one further big advantage: the value of its money, the KIP. A $ or 2 will give you nearly a million of those things, so even if receipts are small, it still looks enormously big!

Kenny
February 27th, 2022, 04:41
Vientiane. No worries about trust on my end, as the two that will be overseeing the place I fully trust. It'll be their responsibility to keep the rest of the staff in line. I won't be working the place anyway, and will moreless just be a silent owner who hangs out with a beer and laptop, and watches the books, provides advice to the two running it, et al.

A gay bar run by a blind Canadian in Vientiane...what an epic concept!

Go for it, life is for living.

And be sure to call it One-Eyed Matt's!

gerefan2
February 27th, 2022, 05:59
Go for it, life is for living.

And be sure to call it One-Eyed Matt's!

He should name it after the notorious gangsters pub in the East End of London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_Beggar

StevieWonders
February 27th, 2022, 06:46
He should name it after the notorious gangsters pub in the East End of London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_BeggarIn memoriam Ronnie & Reggie Kray (made famous as the Pirhana Brothers in Monty Python's Flying Circus, and John Cleese playing the drag queen "friend" of one of them). I guess these days I should be saying "trans"

cdnmatt
February 27th, 2022, 07:18
I was thinking "Sodom and Gomorrah" myself, but I guess we'll just have to all wait in suspense and see what happens.

Then just hope the cops are too Buddhist to know what that means. :)

StevieWonders
February 27th, 2022, 07:22
I was thinking "Sodom and Gomorrah" myself, but I guess we'll just have to all wait in suspense and see what happens.

Then just hope the cops are too Buddhist to know what that means. :)As it's in Asia maybe "the court of the Qianlong emperor" might be more appropriate. Lord Macartney in1793 found it was rife with sodomy. Maybe call it "The Cut Sleeve" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_Sleeve

It's at moments like this I miss our China correspondent arsenal

cdnmatt
February 27th, 2022, 08:27
Who knows, time will tell../

Still can't wait though. Relaxingly leave my house and show up sometime in the afternoon after my two guys have it all setup and cleaned, ready for the day / night. Sit down at a table with my laptop, and have a beer while diving into some work to keep the money flowing.

A while later a cute 20yo staff member who has decided his wallet needs a refill comes over, asks if I want another beer, and begins chatting me up. We already know each other decently and have bit of a repore going, so we chat and joke around a bit. He proceeds to ask if we can goto the private apartment I have upstairs, all decked out and setup for a comfortable and enjoyable time.

He's been there many times before, so we know what each other likes in that regard, and he already knows how to best increase his chances of a higher tip. I reluctantly oblige, and we head upstairs for a while to get some privacy.

Afterwards, we both return to our respective work, and I check in with my two guys to find out what the problems of the day are and ensure everything is running smoothly. After doing some more work and getting my fill of social life in for the day, I head home to continue working, cook some dinner, and hopefully by then even have some dogs to come home to. Occasional night, head to the clubs / karokie, or even hang out at the pub with whomever.

Gotta admit, now that's an office environment and work / life balance I could get behind. Far better than the monotomy of the West, that's for sure.

StevieWonders
February 27th, 2022, 08:31
Who knows, time will tell../

Still can't wait though. Relaxingly leave my house and show up sometime in the afternoon after my two guys have it all setup and cleaned, ready for the day / night. Sit down at a table with my laptop, and have a beer while diving into some work to keep the money flowing.

A while later a cute 20yo staff member who has decided his wallet needs a refill comes over, asks if I want another beer, and begins chatting me up. We already know each other decently and have bit of a repore going, so we chat and joke around a bit. He proceeds to ask if we can goto the private apartment I have upstairs, all decked out and setup for a comfortable and enjoyable time.

He's been there many times before, so we know what each other likes in that regard, and he already knows how to best increase his chances of a higher tip. I reluctantly oblige, and we head upstairs for a while to get some privacy.

Afterwards, we both return to our respective work, and I check in with my two guys to find out what the problems of the day are and ensure everything is running smoothly. After doing some more work and getting my fill of social life in for the day, I head home to continue working, cook some dinner, and hopefully by then even have some dogs to come home to. Occasional night, head to the clubs / karokie, or even hang out at the pub with whomever.

Gotta admit, now that's an office environment and work / life balance I could get behind. Far better than the monotomy of the West, that's for sure.The availability of cheap servants in SE Asia is wonderful isn’t it?They do (and this is a message especially for gerefan2) while you SLEEP dreaming perhaps of Swan Lake

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2022, 06:40
Well, let's get back to what's important.

Are you going to visit my bar?

StevieWonders
February 28th, 2022, 06:48
Well, let's get back to what's important.

Are you going to visit my bar?How will you know it's me?

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2022, 07:08
How will you know it's me?

I'll message you with the private handshake.

bkkguy
February 28th, 2022, 19:13
Gotta admit, now that's an office environment and work / life balance I could get behind. Far better than the monotomy of the West, that's for sure.

Are you going to visit my bar?

in the metaverse you mean? because your posts increasingly read less like a viable real-world business plan and more and more like the typical wanna-be bar owner fantasy you read often on the forums! though unlike the others I suppose are not just blinded by your dreams...

maump
February 28th, 2022, 19:18

I like your bar fantasy quite a bit. If you make it a reality I will definitely come. in the meantime it would make a good Nifty story. will there a be a private room upstairs a friend might use in a pinch, or must I go next door to the short time hotel?

Manforallseasons
February 28th, 2022, 19:30
I like your bar fantasy quite a bit. If you make it a reality I will definitely come. in the meantime it would make a good Nifty story. will there a be a private room upstairs a friend might use in a pinch, or must I go next door to the short time hotel?

cdmatt has been spinning his fantasies here for more years than I remember, this is only the latest in a long line.

Blueskytoday
February 28th, 2022, 21:06
When are you permitted RE-ENTRY to Thailand by the way.....

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2022, 21:13
When are you permitted RE-ENTRY to Thailand by the way.....

April 2023.

StevieWonders
February 28th, 2022, 21:23
April 2023.We’re safe for another year

cdnmatt
February 28th, 2022, 22:38
We’re safe for another year

Not so sure. I'm learning from Putin that national sovereignty is pretty relative and is more about perspective than fact.

thaiophilus
February 28th, 2022, 23:44
I check in with my two guys to find out what the problems of the day are
Just curious about "your" two guys. Have they ever met each other? How would they get along, solving all the problems of the day?

cdnmatt
March 1st, 2022, 00:12
Just curious about "your" two guys. Have they ever met each other? How would they get along, solving all the problems of the day?

Yeah, yeah... they've been good friends for... I don't know how many years, but far longer than I've known either of them. The one guy introduced me to the other.

StevieWonders
March 27th, 2022, 09:11
Yeah, yeah... they've been good friends for... I don't know how many years, but far longer than I've known either of them. The one guy introduced me to the other.Those who may be offended by my occasional reference to the supposed colour of money boys might care to consider other for a new bar in Bangkok I’ve heard about - Cocoa Boy. I’m not yet certain of a more specific location

cdnmatt
March 27th, 2022, 11:41
Still no idea what's going on in Laos. Apparently, phase 2 is happening in 5 days but there's absolutely no news about it due to the Omnikron variant.

Hmmmm.....

Mancs
March 27th, 2022, 18:15
I have never owned a bar. But will the problem be the variable tea money, as it might be in Thailand?

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2022, 00:08
I have never owned a bar. But will the problem be the variable tea money, as it might be in Thailand?

No idea, have to figure out how to get into the country first, then will figure the rest out. Again, won't be a gogo bar or anything like that. Think Hooters, but with gay Asian twinks instead of big boobed blonds, and more of a relaxed and calming atmosphere. That's what I'll be aiming for, and see what happens.

StevieWonders
March 28th, 2022, 01:52
No idea, have to figure out how to get into the country first, then will figure the rest out. Again, won't be a gogo bar or anything like that. Think Hooters, but with gay Asian twinks instead of big boobed blonds, and more of a relaxed and calming atmosphere. That's what I'll be aiming for, and see what happens.Remember Matt believes all Immigration rules should be acceptable to him

Lao Immigration will have a record that someone same name, same date of birth, has previously been denied entry on the basis of his recorded Thai black listing. Equally Thai immigration will have a record of him being deported

What’s a reasonable risk assessment say?

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2022, 02:04
Remember Matt believes all Immigration rules should be acceptable to him

Lao Immigration will have a record that someone same name, same date of birth, has previously been denied entry on the basis of his recorded Thai black listing. Equally Thai immigration will have a record of him being deported

What’s a reasonable risk assessment say?

You let me worry about that little problem. Due to April 1st reopening seemlingly not happening, I'm trying to make contacts as we speak.

StevieWonders
March 28th, 2022, 02:37
You let me worry about that little problem. Due to April 1st reopening seemlingly not happening, I'm trying to make contacts as we speak.

What’s that old Seeker’s song - “I live in a world of my own” ??? You can always fly into Cambodia and find someone to smuggle you across a land border I guess

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2022, 02:39
What’s that old Seeker’s song - “I live in a world of my own” ???

heh, again.... you let me worry about that little problem.

You misunderestimate me.

gerefan2
March 28th, 2022, 08:29
No idea, have to figure out how to get into the country first, then will figure the rest out. s.

Well the best thing you can do is take some of your own, very useful, advice....

Fake ID? It's pretty easy to come by on the dark net.

cdnmatt
March 28th, 2022, 09:31
That advice was for a quick torist trip to bang some hookers.

I'm planning permanent move. Hang on, working on it...