PDA

View Full Version : What if on Day 1 under Test&Go you get a positive PCR test?

AsDaRa
February 6th, 2022, 19:01
I am reading worrying news. I hope it is fake news, but it has me worried because I do see Thais capable of it. The news is that some private hospitals fake that you have a positive corona test so they can earn on you because then you need to do 10 days quarentine there at 10.000 baht a day.

I have the following questions:
1) Say in the Test&Go plan on Day 1 I get a positive test. Can I then get a second opinion at another hospiral and the negative test wins?
2) If the result is positive, do I - under Test&Go - then really have to quarentaine at a hospital which is very expensive? Can I not just stay at the hotel?
3) How long is the quarentine? A few days and then I am still free to start my holiday?
4) Does in general the travel insurance also pay out when you have to quarentine because of a positive test or only when you really have symptons and need treatment for that?

christianpfc
February 6th, 2022, 19:34
Similar subject here, should answer some of your questions:

Warning against traveling to Thailand February 3, 2022
Scandasia Nordic News and Business Promotion in Asia
https://scandasia.com/warning-against-traveling-to-thailand/

AsDaRa
February 6th, 2022, 20:11
My God. I am scared now. I booked everything already. Had to pay hotel upfront. I am afraid I will be catched in a scam or so.
But I did not read any small letters that you have to stay in hotel when you are tested positive. I didnt get any paper or mail from the hotel that said this are the rules.
Can they enforce this on me when they didnt make these rules aware to me?

goji
February 6th, 2022, 20:19
Can they enforce this on me when they didnt make these rules aware to me?

When you apply for the Thai Pass, you agree to follow the Thai Government disease control measures.
So you are advised to familiarise yourself with the measures.
Failing the test means being sent to hospital, or if you are lucky, quarantine.

There is an obvious conflict of interest if the hospital processing the tests also profits when you fail the test. However, the probability of failing still seems low and for most people, everything is OK.

Anyone planning to travel needs to spend time reading the rules, reading their insurance policy and so on. Or accept a few risks.

AsDaRa
February 6th, 2022, 20:29
Do you know of an insurance that covers all the costs when you test positive? So also the quarentine in hospital?

Moses
February 6th, 2022, 20:40
Do you know of an insurance that covers all the costs when you test positive? So also the quarentine in hospital?

Most insurances should cover quarantine in hospital if they have "COVID-19" section in policy, but most of them will not cover your quarantine in hotel. At past it was 14 days, I don't know for how long it takes now.

Just for to compare: Russia from Feb 6 shortened mandatory quarantine for sick people (tested positive) to 7 days instead of 14, and dropped test at the end of quarantine for them, since latest study here shows what omicron lasts usually 3-5 days and at 7th day there is no live viruses in formerly sick bodies.

AsDaRa
February 6th, 2022, 21:00
Most insurances should cover quarantine in hospital if they have "COVID-19" section in policy, but most of them will not cover your quarantine in hotel. At past it was 14 days, I don't know for how long it takes now.

Just for to compare: Russia from Feb 6 shortened mandatory quarantine for sick people (tested positive) to 7 days instead of 14, and dropped test at the end of quarantine for them, since latest study here shows what omicron lasts usually 3-5 days and at 7th day there is no live viruses in formerly sick bodies.

Thanks. In that case the rule that you have to quarentaine in the hotel is better. Because my costs would be covered. I just hope that the system works fair and they dont fake a positive test result.

christianpfc
February 7th, 2022, 10:43
There were statistics that showed which percentage of arriving people, sorted by country, tested positive. Range was from 0.1% to 10%. Let's say the average is a 1% to test positive. If they rounded up a group of people in Thailand and tested all of them, probably the same. But once in Thailand, you can be asymptomatic positive and go on with you life, but to enter, you have to test.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/2258347/phuket-issues-alert-on-infected-arrivals

Phuket is asking the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to improve Covid-19 screening measures for international visitors, following an alarming number of tourists testing positive on arrival.

This is suspected to have largely stemmed from fake negative results from pre-departure testing or inaccurate testing that's only been detected after travellers arrive.

pong
February 7th, 2022, 12:15
Dont want to worry you, but there seems to be yet another possible snag to fear:
as you have to provide all details to the ´system´ they also know which airline/flight/seat you took.
If they then find a positive person and you were sitting too close by, you will be searched for and also have to stay in self-imposed prisonship/quarantaine, even if your test was negative. I´ve read several of such cases in general mainstream fora, but it may be possible the same story repeated over&over again. Though one was of a farang man married to a Thai lady who were returning home in TH/north/village and local police put some guardians in front of their house!
More comforting seems to be, that what measures will be taken after a positive test may also depend on your actual state of being sick or not.
I more and more get the impression that all the tests must have also quite a big rate of random failure or perhaps many laboratories are not fine tuned enough to distinguish between pass/fail.
But TIT;this is Thailand-every and all things where someone is able to make money out will sooner or later be pointed at they make a profit!

goji
February 7th, 2022, 12:34
Whilst the likes of Richard Barrow have referred to the rule on people sitting nearby, I haven't seen a definition of what is counted.
Also, I haven't seen numerous people complaining. And they would have every right to complain, as being detained after passing your own COVID rest would directly contradict the terms we agree to when applying for the Thai Pass.
However, I made sure I booked a window seat as far back as possible, to improve my odds. Booking the back row was not allowed.

AsDaRa
February 7th, 2022, 14:57
I booked a seat totally upfront in economy near the window. Only my neighbour can reasonable give me covid. And if he does it won’t be detected on the Day 1 test will it? Doesn’t the virus need a few days to be detected ?

Above I meant by the way: good we have to quarantine at the hospital because I understand this improves the chances you will get your money back. But if I won’t get my money back I prefer to quarantine at the hotel. Much cheaper

gerefan2
February 7th, 2022, 15:58
There were statistics that showed which percentage of arriving people, sorted by country, tested positive. Range was from 0.1% to 10%. Let's say the average is a 1% to test positive. If they rounded up a group of people in Thailand and tested all of them, probably the same. But once in Thailand, you can be asymptomatic positive and go on with you life, but to enter, you have to test.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/2258347/phuket-issues-alert-on-infected-arrivals

The table shown also exactly coincides with the level of corruption in each country!
https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021?gclid=CjwKCAiAo4OQBhBBEiwA5KWu_zv66YyrgPgQWx3 RXWnAxSg_K0BDWXf28oqB7YguGG5runBkiCVV2hoCytMQAvD_B wE