PDA

View Full Version : Standby airfares

August 19th, 2006, 22:22
This may seem like a dumb question, but do mainstream airlines still do "standby" fares both internationally and domestically. I know that with the advent of budget/cut price airlines esp in SE Asia, this would most probably be pointless.
For that matter, do budget airlines do it - not talking about internet deals, just the old trick of waiting at the ticket counter.

travelerjim
August 19th, 2006, 22:31
You have asked about "Standby Airfares" available at the airport ticket counters - last minute ticketing...

I doubt that these are available...Especially in light of increased security issues and measures in place....especially if you are flying to the USA and Europe...( USA Homeland Security requires 24 hours advance notice from the airlines of passengers names to be on the flights to the USA)...

May I suggest you contact a local ticket broker...who may have access to last minute fares on day advance notice....Northwest Airlines makes the "H" fare available to ticket brokers/agents - adjusting their availability on the website...as they view their load factors for flights....can change moment to moment...as computers work their "yield management" software and instructions from the programmers seeking to sell every seat available.

Maybe some posters can suggest Bangkok based ..or elsewhere in Thailand - ticket brokers who may have availability to last minute ticketing offers of airlines...availability of electronic tickets would be a factor...as hard copy tickets usually take a one or two days time or more to issue.

TravelerJim
www.tjinsurance.com (http://www.tjinsurance.com) .