PDA

View Full Version : Music Volume: When will they ever learn ?

goji
January 21st, 2022, 20:17
I made a brief visit to Boyztown on Friday.
Just 3 bars were open: Castro, Serene and BBB.

The noise level in the soi was rather high, so I did a quick survey and picked a seat at BBB away from the loudspeaker.
They had a show with 3 handsome young men, smartly dressed, a lady boy and then a couple of lady men. Good of them for continuing to make an effort and having the 3 smartly dressed lads.

I counted a maximum of 43 customers across all 3 bars. That's counting everyone at a table as a customer, so this may include some staff.
As the music was too loud, I decided to make it 42 customers. Walking away, the volume was reasonable by the time I got to the entrance to The Penthouse and it was still audible 2 sois away. Now I can't claim the volume was ridiculous, but it was certainly unpleasant, even after I made sure I wasn't in front of the speaker. I suspect that if they cut the volume by 30%, they would lose no customers and gain quite a few.
Or do the expats and the handful of long term tourists like loud music ?

gerefan2
January 21st, 2022, 20:37
Or do the expats and the handful of long term tourists like loud music ?

Most of the expats who write on the boards often tell us they do not frequent (sorry!) the gay areas, so there’s no point is asking them the question.

As the night goes on the lights go down and the music goes up. TIT. These bars are staffed by younger people and they just don’t understand older people’s preferences. They think it’s a disco!

I remember sitting in Funny Boys a few years ago at the beginning of its decline. The music got louder and louder and eventually I was the only one left. I asked the Cashier if he knew why everyone had left. He didn’t.

At the end of the conversation he knew exactly why they had gone.

A year later I bumped into him in his new job at Panorama and during the chat he asked me if the music volume as okay. The previous conversation had obviously worked.

By the way I used to consider BBB was the worst offender. Now I have changed my mind and as far as I’m concerned it is now The Palace (think that’s the name) in Jomtien. It’s 2 doors up from @Home bar and sitting in that nice bar it is sometimes almost unbearable.

The noise is so bad that other bars nearby must be losing a lot of trade because of it. If I was the owner of an adjacent bar I would be having words.

Oliver2
January 21st, 2022, 20:53
I climb back on my hobby-horse. I shall never forgive the owners of the bars, particularly the new one (well, it was new at the time) that drove us to abandon Ambiance (in my case after twenty years and nearly seventy visits) because they insisted on playing loud music at 0300 for a dozen customers.

And we are not the only people who departed..

cdnmatt
January 21st, 2022, 23:03
Then stay at home and crochet a sweater.

Geez... god forbid you allow the guys who are tasked with providing you with pleasure to be comfortable in their workplace.

gerefan2
January 21st, 2022, 23:31
Geez... god forbid you allow the guys who are tasked with providing you with pleasure to be comfortable in their workplace.

Absolutely. We TASK them. We pay them. We employ them. We feed them. We keep their business afloat.

So WE make the rules as would any other paying customer in any other type of transaction.

cdnmatt
January 21st, 2022, 23:37
Absolutely. We TASK them. We pay them. We employ them. We feed them. We keep their business afloat.

So WE make the rules as would any other paying customer in any other type of transaction.

Yeah, except that's not how the world works -- at all.

That's just called being an asshole. Try working with people instead of above them -- you'll get far better results.

gerefan2
January 21st, 2022, 23:41
Never seen he expression “you pays your money and take your choice”?

Sorry, In your case, heard it.

dab69
January 21st, 2022, 23:52
We just can't be happy that the bar was open and they were making money?

Manforallseasons
January 21st, 2022, 23:54

Take your sorry old fat ass and go elsewhere!

StevieWonders
January 22nd, 2022, 03:49

So WE make the rules as would any other paying customer in any other type of transaction.Why I will never go to Pride nor that other place in Soi 4 because of the owner’s insistence that a “gay” bar is one full of fag hags

Brad the Impala
January 22nd, 2022, 04:00
Old men whingeing. 'Twas ever thus!

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2022, 05:40

Again, that's not how the world works. If I try treating anyone under my employ in that manner, even the $8/hour Filipinos, I will quickly find myself spending time on the job boards looking for new people who want to work for me, and rightfully so.

And vice versa. If someone I'm taking care of treats me in that manner, they quickly find themselves on the job boards looking for someone new to take care of them.

You do realize the happier and more comfortable you make the boys, the happier and more comfortable they're likely to make you, right? Or has that little concept escaped you?

Gaybutton
January 22nd, 2022, 06:20
But if the music volume is that loud, how are the boys supposed to hear the sounds their smartphone games make while they are busy playing and ignoring the customers . . . ?

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2022, 08:24
Take your sorry old fat ass and go elsewhere!

That's just called being an asshole. .

Why I will never go to Pride nor that other place in Soi 4 because of the owner’s insistence that a “gay” bar is one full of fag hags

Wow a bullseye. A Direct Hit even.

This from the three wise men (sorry crackpots) of the Board. Between them they could produce enough material for an Annual Convention of Phycologists!

StevieWonders
January 22nd, 2022, 08:39
Between them they could produce enough material for an Annual Convention of Phycologists!A “phycologist”? Is that the sort of person who gives a phlying phuck?

Dodger
January 22nd, 2022, 13:23
Most of the expats who write on the boards often tell us they do not frequent (sorry!) the gay areas, so there’s no point is asking them the question.

As the night goes on the lights go down and the music goes up. TIT. These bars are staffed by younger people and they just don’t understand older people’s preferences. They think it’s a disco!

Most of the gay expats I know do in fact frequent the gay areas (when they're open). That's why most of them are here.

As far as the music volume goes:

Lights going down and music going up (as you stated) is to be expected in bar scenes run by younger people. If you want a quiet more subdued environment - then it would probably be best if you went to bar scenes which cater more to older people. The Pattaya Marriott has a small piano bar on its lower level - accompanied on occasion by a string quartet which comes to mind.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to party and have sex with young people you need to learn how to accept the generational differences. If you think your money can change any of this, you're sadly mistaken.

Oliver2
January 22nd, 2022, 14:01
What's wrong with walls and doors? when Boyztown was thriving and didn't even have enforced closing times, the music was contained within the bars and did not disrupt those who wanted to chat with the guys and with friends. Or sleep at 0300.

Now, the bars are open to the world; no walls, no doors.. The fashion for letting the music take over the soi is relatively new and began after Thob closed.

The enclosed bars entertained hundreds (BBB, Cockpit/Throb et al). The open bars were entertaining a couple of dozen when I was last there.
At the same time, three gay hotels were being affected to their detriment. Something, by the way, the managers complained about. And were ignored.

goji
January 22nd, 2022, 15:41
You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to party and have sex with young people you need to learn how to accept the generational differences. If you think your money can change any of this, you're sadly mistaken.

We've been having our cake and eating it for years, as the majority of bars catering to mature farang keep the music at a sensible level. The working boys will show up anyway, as good pros do.
Also, it's very much a mistake to think all young people like loud music. Some have far more sense.

In Sunee, none of the bars play loud music.
Jomtien Complex has just one bar which is a regular offender, which can be avoided by moving a few bars away.
Unfortunately when BBB play loud music outside, it screws up the ambience for the whole soi. But I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Gaybutton
January 22nd, 2022, 15:49
it's very much a mistake to think all young people like loud music. Some have far more sense.

That is true. Many boys complained about it, but the volume was kept at that range anyway. I think it is not only mistaken, but insulting to one's intelligence to try to pass off customers who don't like music volume at a level that blasts eardrums and is actually physically dangerous as old farts who just don't understand young people. Maybe it's the people saying that who really are the ones who don't understand young people, no matter how much they've convinced themselves that they do.

The music volume debate is certainly nothing new. Long before Covid for years we were debating it. As far as I know, nothing changed.

At go-go bars where the music volume is excessively loud, are the boys dancing any better than at go-go bars playing music at a sensible level? Are they making more eye contact with customers? Are they doing any more to get customers to take them off? I've never noticed better boy behavior at bars playing excessively loud music, certainly no better than at bars playing music at a sensible level.

I have no idea why some are actually trying to justify music volume being played at such levels. I, for one, will not be among those who think excessively loud music is a great idea. And it will also be difficult to convince me that many on this board truly enjoy it. Some might be pretending to enjoy it or are trying to convince themselves they truly enjoy it, but I believe that's as far as it goes.

I kind of hate to bring this up, but some of you may remember that a city ordinance exists prohibiting the music volume to exceed 90 decibels, a volume level they compared to the volume level of a passing motorbike. So, any venue playing music exceeding 90 decibels is breaking the law.

I recall when this ordinance was first enacted the police were out there vigorously enforcing it. I think the enforcement lasted nearly a full week . . .

StevieWonders
January 22nd, 2022, 15:55
We've been having our cake and eating it for years, as the majority of bars catering to mature farang keep the music at a sensible level. I'm with Boris on this one: “My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it."

Dodger
January 22nd, 2022, 16:03
At the same time, three gay hotels were being affected to their detriment. Something, by the way, the managers complained about. And were ignored.

During my early visits to Thailand Boyztown was my home-away-from-home. I loved it...spent every night there...and didn't mind the loud music at all. BUT, I never once considered staying in one of the hotels you're referencing because I wanted peace and quiet when my head hit the pillow. I never could figure out why guys who are bothered by loud music, (which would bother me too if I was trying to relax or sleep), would stay in these places. Go figure!

I made the mistake during my first visit to Phuket buy staying in a room right above a bar in Paradise Complex. The bass speakers were so loud that the pictures on the walls in my room were tilted...I kid you not. The boy I had with me that night just sat in the bed laughing. I checked out the next morning and found a B&B a few blocks away which worked out fine.

As my mind wanders...I remember sitting with a small group of boys in the old Butterfly Karaoke (Soi Day/Night - behind the old Hollywood Disco) listening to a ladyboy lip-syncing a Thai pop song which was playing at full volume. The place was packed...drinks were flowing...everyone was having a great time. Then, in walks a farang with a few boys in tow who sat in the circular sofa right next to ours. The minute the waiter walked up to his table he started making these strange facial expressions while simultaneously holding both ears. He then abruptly demanded that the waiter have the music volume lowered. The boys who were with him just looked down at the ground in embarrassment, as did the waiter. The music played on...as did the farangs continuous complaining, until the manager (a stocky ladyboy mamasan) finally came to his table - handed him his bin - and asked him to leave.

cdnmatt
January 22nd, 2022, 16:16
What a stupid debate this is. It's like going to a swimming pool then complaining to the lifeguard there's too many women in bikinis and you think they should be wearing one piece's instead.

It's just dumb.

Dodger
January 22nd, 2022, 16:22
We've been having our cake and eating it for years, as the majority of bars catering to mature farang keep the music at a sensible level.

If the music volume at the majority of bars is acceptable to you - then where's the problem?

Dodger
January 22nd, 2022, 16:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ElYaWug9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ElYaWug9A

StevieWonders
January 22nd, 2022, 17:09
What a stupid debate this is. It's like going to a swimming pool then complaining to the lifeguard there's too many women in bikinis and you think they should be wearing one piece's instead.

It's just dumb.You should feel right at home

Oliver2
January 22nd, 2022, 21:32
There are numerous medical reports that identify loud-noise as being detrimental to health. Some of the guys who work in Boyztown will pay the price of reduced hearing in middle-age and beyond.

By the way, this danger includes professional musicians who play in orchestras, hence the changes that are being made to ensure that those who sit directly in front of the brass section are protected.

And what we are talking about here is electronically- produced sounds emanating from huge speakers that can be heard, not just in Boyztown, but in surrounding areas.

Why?

As a twelve-year old I sang in the boys' choir in a Royal Albert Hall performance of Mahler's Eighth Symphony- the "Symphony of a Thousand", and even that number of performers couldn't compete with the array of massive loud-speakers we see nowadays, piled on top of one another.

Keep the d****d things behind closed doors if you have to have them. Throb, by the way, had a superb system- the best I've ever heard and I'm a hi-fi enthusiast- immeasurably superior to the home made stuff we see on the streets. And inoffensive to the community.

christianpfc
January 22nd, 2022, 21:42
This discussion has been on the forum since I joined (2009). I don't like loud music, and before I enter a gogo bar, I take a look if there are enough boys on stage to make it worth my time and money, and I judge the music volume and if too high I tell staff "too loud" and leave.

If the boys in gogo bar or disco justify spending time there, but music is too loud, I put in my earplugs or tissue. Rather be "the guy with the earplugs" now than "the hard-of hearing guy" later in life. I have seen boys with tissue in their ears for the same reason.

a447
January 22nd, 2022, 23:11
I don't mind loud music - I usually crank up the audio system at home and in the car, but only when I am by myself.

If someone is with me I turn it down, or off, so that I can enjoy conversation.

I go to a bar to talk to the guys so earplugs would be of little use. If the music is so loud as to prevent conversation, I will just go somewhere else.

The bar will miss out on my money (as will the guys) but that is not my problem.

goji
January 23rd, 2022, 00:18
If the music volume at the majority of bars is acceptable to you - then where's the problem?

When one Boyztown bar plays music so loud that it f***s up civilized conversation in the whole of Boyztown, that's a problem.
A problem, but not a major one, since I can go to Jomtien or Sunee.
Of course, since you don't go to the bars yourself, what's your problem when those of us who expect to hold a conversation at a bar complain about loud music preventing it ?

People go to bars to socialize. Loud music prevents social interaction. It also damages hearing, so no one gains.

Dodger
January 23rd, 2022, 07:25
I have seen boys with tissue in their ears for the same reason.

The tissue in their ears is probably to prevent listening to your complaining all night...LOL

Dodger
January 23rd, 2022, 08:02
People go to bars to socialize. Loud music prevents social interaction. It also damages hearing, so no one gains.

Gay bars all over the world are known for playing loud music in a club-like atmosphere. Nothing new here. People who don't like the loud music typically avoid these places and seek quieter venues which are also around. Thailand is no different. The choice is always yours.

When young Thais go out to party with friends they commonly end up in one of the discos or karaoke bars with music blasting so loud you have to shout in order for the person standing next to you to hear you. They are socializing in this manner the same way me and my friends used to party and socialize in the live-music bars, discos, rock concerts, etc., back in the day. Nothing different. Loud music lifts the spirits...unleashes a bit of "wild" in a person...revs up the engine...gets the blood flowing. That's why so many young people like it.

Not to be rude to you or anyone else here, but to be brutally honest, every time I see a bar full of older farang sitting next to host boys - the farang are entrenched in discussions with other farang that are so boring that I'm surprised the boys can even keep their eyes open. They just sit there with catatonic expressions on their faces bored to death - while their farang-for-the-night keeps babbling on about the price of tea in China...as if anyone gives a shit. There you have it: Farang so deeply saturated in "themselves" that they're totally oblivious to the fact that they have an interesting young man sitting next to them who is out to have a good time as well.

Maybe some of the boys turn the volume up just to block people like this out, and I wouldn't blame them if they did.

Comments about music damaging your ears reminds me of my dear old grandmothers very words - so thank you for that hint of nostalgia.

mr giggles
January 23rd, 2022, 13:15
could produce enough material for an Annual Convention of Phycologists!

Surely you meant Proctologists?

goji
January 23rd, 2022, 13:26
Not to be rude to you or anyone else here, but to be brutally honest, every time I see a bar full of older farang sitting next to host boys - the farang are entrenched in discussions with other farang that are so boring that I'm surprised the boys can even keep their eyes open.

One of the difficulties with the host bar format is language capability. The farang often doesn't speak much Thai or Khmer. Meanwhile, the boy often doesn't speak that much English (or whatever other language is needed). So sitting chatting for a couple of hours is often difficult.

There are exceptions, such as a young lad in Phnom Penh who could go on for hours telling stories in English.

Dodger
January 23rd, 2022, 14:26
One of the difficulties with the host bar format is language capability. The farang often doesn't speak much Thai or Khmer. Meanwhile, the boy often doesn't speak that much English (or whatever other language is needed). So sitting chatting for a couple of hours is often difficult.

There are exceptions, such as a young lad in Phnom Penh who could go on for hours telling stories in English.

No disagreement there.

Personally (just my preference, not necessarily anyone else's), I'd rather sit with a whole tribe of non-English speaking boys - then be trapped at a table talking to farang when I'm out having a good time. There's inevitably at least one boy who speaks English who serves as interpreter...and body language works like a charm, especially when you have your hand under the table stroking his cock.