PDA

View Full Version : Bolt

gerefan2
January 6th, 2022, 01:47
Why havent any of you expats posted on here about Bolt??

We sex pats have never heard of it.

It is an internet taxi service.

Twice in the last few days I have had to travel from Jomtien to Pattaya Tai to my condo. The first time with 2 big cases and a “carry on” bag.

On the first occasion the ever so helpful Chris at The Venue suggested “Bolt”. What’s that I said....

Well within 5 minutes a taxi arrived and for 67 baht took me to Pattaya Tai with all my luggage.

The second time was tonight at about 2 a.m. and a friendly ladyboy called “bolt” for the same journey.

Another 67 baht.

I usually use motor bike taxis and they charge 60 baht for the same distance.

No comparison when you have luggage or been out for a beer.

StevieWonders
January 6th, 2022, 03:29
Usain? Or you could just pull your finger out (© HRH The late Prince Philip) and google it

https://forums.pattayatalk.com/topic/71715-bolt-ride-sharing-app/

francois
January 6th, 2022, 04:05
gerefan, no one told you about Bolt! It truly is great service at a cheap price although they do appreciate tips. I have used it when I was in Pattaya and very fast response.

arsenal
January 6th, 2022, 06:56
Gerefan2. You sayin' Bolt is fast? Thanks.

Ruthrieston
January 6th, 2022, 07:10
Sorry, I ought to have been raving about Bolt before. I have been using them for many months now, a very cheap and good service. I used to rent a car every month or so to do my big shopping but don't need to do that at all now. Just being able to get an airconditioned car for the same price I used to pay for a motorbike taxi is really great.

Manforallseasons
January 6th, 2022, 09:34
All locals I know use Bolt hopefully until the tourists come back their rates will remain low.

snotface
January 6th, 2022, 09:52
It is indeed an excellent, fast service. To use the old advertising slogan, 'I don't know how they do it at the price.' I'm a bit less keen on the follow-up email messages I get, which always end 'Thanks for being amazing' - yuk, yuk, and thrice yuk.

Blacktouch
January 6th, 2022, 20:13
Bolt is similar to Uber.

You book the taxi service via an App on your phone.

The fare is calculated by the App, so there is no chance the driver can rip you off.

It's generally much cheaper that all other taxis.

bkkguy
January 7th, 2022, 18:59
It's generally much cheaper that all other taxis.

so was Grab when it first started taxi service in Pattaya, but now for many reasons that is no longer the case - but I am not in any way suggesting that this is in any way related to the actions of local authorities or the baht bus and meter taxi operators and drivers :)

gerefan2
January 8th, 2022, 01:04
Now that I have managed to download Bolt I tried it for the first time from a Jomtien to Pattaya Tai this evening.

Stood at the entrance to to JC and the assigned car arrived in 2 minutes and off we went. New car and courteous driver.

Excellent service and only 60 baht (30 each).

Amazed. What’s not to like?!

christianpfc
January 8th, 2022, 13:15
No personal experience, but a friend from Bangkok used Bolt in Pattaya and recommended it highly. Only because I get around entirely by walking and baht-bus I haven used it yet.

When I checked grab two years ago, prices were similar as you would pay by direct negotiation with driver, about 200 THB for 5 km as far as I remember.

goji
January 8th, 2022, 14:46
I took a Bolt ride in Pattaya for 60 Baht.
I checked the cost of going in the opposite direction by Grab and it was 210 baht.

For comparison purposes, I just compared to the cost of exactly the same journey in Pattaya with the 2 apps:
Bolt 63 Baht
Grab Car 296 Baht. After digging further, Grab seem to have some car options for about 118 Baht.

I've never used Grab in Pattaya, but have used it in Chiang Mai, where some quite attractive fares were offered.

dab69
January 13th, 2022, 07:06
CB Media takes Bolt to Nong Prue Airport Pataya 108 baht + big tip
00:31-2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8DWWX4Zf8

aussie
January 13th, 2022, 08:47
Unless it is a very short trip, I give the Bolt driver100 baht whatever the quoted fare is less than that. They are not making much if anything on some of those low fares.

gerefan2
January 13th, 2022, 13:31
Bolt is a typical Loss Leader. Use it while it lasts!

Moses
January 13th, 2022, 13:51
Unless it is a very short trip, I give the Bolt driver100 baht whatever the quoted fare is less than that. They are not making much if anything on some of those low fares.

By fact Bolt pays to drivers more than you pay to Bolt in cases when fares are low. Bolt now "eats market" - grows own market share by damping and pays for it by unprofitable fares. It is typical strategy on taxi's market. Didi and Grab did the same on many markets. Uber also.

jvt22222
January 14th, 2022, 08:12
Moses, I really wish you could give more explanation to your post … I would really like to understand it better.

Moses
January 14th, 2022, 14:47
Moses, I really wish you could give more explanation to your post … I would really like to understand it better.

When taxi company enters to local market they do it by damping - keep prices very low, make strong promotion, earn loyalty of new clients. But for to have enough drivers company pays extra to driver for each order because drivers want normal price or they will switch to serve clients of another company.

Usually exists "minimal compensation" - amount of money what driver will get after serving one client. For example: somebody made short ride and paid 30 Bahts, but driver will receive from company 100 Bahts because it is minimal compensation by agreement. That why all taxi companies have negative profitability at first 1-2 years on new markets - they pay own money to drivers for each client for to compensate low fares.

After 1-2 years of damping company will have enough loyal clients and will rise fares step by step for to get profit.

goji
January 14th, 2022, 15:42
I'm currently in a smaller Thai town. Just one driver shows up on Bolt. They quoted 53 baht for a ride of abour 2 miles, but the only Bolt driver didn't take the job.

Grab quoted 73 baht. Their driver accepted the job. So it's worth having more than one of these apps on the phone.

jvt22222
January 15th, 2022, 07:49
Thanks Moses,… I have become somewhat addicted to BOLT … convenient, dependable, inexpensive, professional … 15-20 times I have BOLTed and never yet had a problem … short trips to Immigration, longer trips to T HE BEACH CLUB in Bang Saray … under your scenario they will eventually get more expensive step-by-step … by that time I will be even more addicted.

Manforallseasons
January 15th, 2022, 10:24
Grab began the same way now they priced themselves out of the market.....now they have become basically a motorbike food delivery service.

goji
January 15th, 2022, 15:20
Grab began the same way now they priced themselves out of the market.....now they have become basically a motorbike food delivery service.

I think it depends on where you are. Grab fares in Pattaya seem a bit steep, but on the other hand, out in the sticks, I just got a 2 mile ride to my hotel for 63 Baht with Grab. Bolt do not operate here.
I've also found Grab to be fairly priced in Chiang Mai.