PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Antigen Tests Required for Restaurants in Chonburi

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 11:44
The Chonburi Governor released a new order late last night requiring rapid antigen tests for customers and restaurant staff.

Note, this story was first posted by Stevie - but seeing as most of the veteran and senior members have him on "ignore" I thought it best to re-post it here.

It looks like Jai and I will be dining in more often for a while.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/02/chonburi-governor-releases-late-night-updated-orders-around-covid-19-and-food-and-beverage-establishments/

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 11:52
I guess the penalty for failing a test is being sent to quarantine. Therefore I won't be visiting any "restaurant" enforcing testing or checking in.

No sign of enforcement yet and I deliberately decided to have lunch at a location likely to follow the rules.
If this IS enforced, I shall be on a bus to Bangkok within a few days.

The danger here is not the latest mild COVID strain meeting a vaccinated population, but the unelected regime imposing more excessive restrictions on people.

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 12:09
I guess the penalty for failing a test is being sent to quarantine. Therefore I won't be visiting any "restaurant" enforcing testing or checking in.

If I'm reading this right, any person who dines regularly in restaurants would have to take a rapid antigen test every 72 hours to stay within the 72 hour window. The fact that the reliability of these tests is still widely in question presents risk of quarantine even for some people who don't have the virus.

The prospects of attracting tourists to come to Pattaya just got dumped down the tubes. And I feel sorry for those like yourself who made the mistake of coming here.

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 12:50
Below is a PattayaOne update which pretty much says the same thing.

There you have it - another unenforceable knee-jerk requirement that some will follow - and some won't.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/all-pattaya-restaurants-now-require-customers-to-show-negative-covid-19-test-385022

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 12:58
There you have it - another unenforceable knee-jerk requirement that some will follow - and some won't.

Also, it's probably just another excuse for the mafia in brown to collect more bribes.

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 13:25
Also, it's probably just another excuse for the mafia in brown to collect more bribes.

Yep.

Manforallseasons
January 2nd, 2022, 13:50
Enough fucking around! Close all bars, restaurants and shopping malls and restrict travel to and from Chonburi for a month.

dinagam
January 2nd, 2022, 14:04
This is the outcome of the devious schemes of the political elites of the Faschist USA, Britain, the Neo Faschist Germany, Hitlerian Austria and other European countries and five eyes alliance go about twisting the arms of weaker governments in forcing vaccine mandates and unscientific testing of even asymptomatic people and the population in general. Dominance and profit is their motto.

StevieWonders
January 2nd, 2022, 14:30
This is the outcome of the devious schemes of the political elites of the Faschist USA, Britain, the Neo Faschist Germany, Hitlerian Austria and other European countries and five eyes alliance go about twisting the arms of weaker governments in forcing vaccine mandates and unscientific testing of even asymptomatic people and the population in general. Dominance and profit is their motto. Settle down peasant

dinagam
January 2nd, 2022, 14:49
Go ahead and bury your dickhead in the sand...

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 15:03
Another useful topic descends into farce. What is the point ?

StevieWonders
January 2nd, 2022, 15:48
Another useful topic descends into farce. What is the point ?
But goji darling you spent months telling everyone of the delights of ignoring posters who offend your sensitivities. Why the change of policy? Or are you back into Full Bookburner mode, seeking to ban all and sundry?

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 16:08
Enough fucking around! Close all bars, restaurants and shopping malls and restrict travel to and from Chonburi for a month.

That's exactly what the Governor of Buriram did in 2019 right after covid arrived, and they ended up being the safest province in Thailand with the lowest reported cases. The difference being, Buriram wasn't promoting tourism at the same time as they were fighting the virus - or relying on tourist dollars to stay afloat,

Happy New Year!

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 18:09
Chonburi Public Health setting up three major Covid-19 screening points in Pattaya for free Covid-19 rapid testing for restaurants that sell alcohol.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/02/chonburi-public-health-setting-up-three-major-covid-19-screening-points-in-pattaya-for-free-covid-19-rapid-testing-for-restaurants-that-sell-alcohol/

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 18:35
Chonburi Public Health setting up three major Covid-19 screening points in Pattaya for free Covid-19 rapid testing for restaurants that sell alcohol.

So 2 out of 3 screening points are about a 5 minute walk apart, both off Soi Bukhao.

Admittedly the location isn't a problem for me. The big question is do we get sent to some dismal quarantine hospital if we fail ?

Kenny
January 2nd, 2022, 19:08
And I feel sorry for those like yourself who made the mistake of coming here.
Dodger you are so funny. I think you have gone over to the darkside!
I am halfway through my holiday here and I am having the time of my life.
Restrictions on bars and restaurants? I haven't had a drink yet this year and I certainly didn't come here for the restaurants.
Concerned that us tourists will have nothing to do? Well here's 10 suggestions just for a start:
Now, if you'll excuse me, the sun is setting off Dongtan Beach, which means it's time to go fishing...

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 19:14

The big question is do we get sent to some dismal quarantine hospital if we fail ?

I wouldn't want to find out: Just order food to your room...go to bed with the delivery boy...and let others find the answer to your question.

Dodger
January 2nd, 2022, 19:17
Dodger you are so funny. I think you have gone over to the darkside!
I am halfway through my holiday here and I am having the time of my life.
Restrictions on bars and restaurants? I haven't had a drink yet this year and I certainly didn't come here for the restaurants.
Concerned that us tourists will have nothing to do? Well here's 10 suggestions just for a start:
Now, if you'll excuse me, the sun is setting off Dongtan Beach, which means it's time to go fishing...

I like your style Kenny. Keep it rolling.

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 19:53
It's for real..

Kenny
January 2nd, 2022, 20:06
I'm at a bar in the Jomtien Complex. The bar staff tested me and recorded it. I am good for 3 days.
Not a big deal.
Cost 60 baht.

Blueskytoday
January 2nd, 2022, 20:25
This getting a test each and everytime you want a restaurant, a bar, a department store is toooo much..taking a test every 3 days...come on..

goji
January 2nd, 2022, 20:35
Passing a test is no big deal, whether it is free on Soi Bukhao or costs 60 Baht for patrons of gay bars.

Failing and being sent to quarantine for 14 days and then getting billed for it would be less amusing.

At Tree Town, people had to show ID before being tested. So quietly sneaking off home for a few days after failing won't work, since immigration know where we live. Obviously I didn't get tested, as I just went to check it out on a "dry" night.
The testing people were doing a little trade at 20:50, but weren't exactly busy. 200m down the road, the other free test centre at LK seemed to have no customers when I went past.

How does it work in Jomtien ? Do you need to show ID before the test ?

Also, I don't know what the specificity of their tests are. I just looked at one US paper and they ranged from 92% to 100%. So the lowest quality has almost a 1 in 12 chance of a false positive result. That would be rather high for my liking, if testing every 3 days and a getting a "Go to Jail" card for failing.

Kenny
January 2nd, 2022, 20:44
All that happened here was that I was tested when I entered the bar and my name and contact number were recorded.
I was encouraged to photograph the test result as it would be good for entry to other bars for 3 days.
I am not an authority on this!
Just reporting my experience.

Manforallseasons
January 2nd, 2022, 22:32
Passing a test is no big deal, whether it is free on Soi Bukhao or costs 60 Baht for patrons of gay bars.

Failing and being sent to quarantine for 14 days and then getting billed for it would be less amusing.

At Tree Town, people had to show ID before being tested. So quietly sneaking off home for a few days after failing won't work, since immigration know where we live. Obviously I didn't get tested, as I just went to check it out on a "dry" night.
The testing people were doing a little trade at 20:50, but weren't exactly busy. 200m down the road, the other free test centre at LK seemed to have no customers when I went past.

Also, I don't know what the specificity of their tests are. I just looked at one US paper and they ranged from 92% to 100%. So the lowest quality has almost a 1 in 12 chance of a false positive result. That would be rather high for my liking, if testing every 3 days and a getting a "Go to Jail" card for failing.

All things considered, I don’t think people will be running to bars and restaurants which will further devastate what business is left.

Nirish guy
January 2nd, 2022, 22:48
All things considered, I don’t think people will be running to bars and restaurants which will further devastate what business is left.

Or another way of looking at it would be that "untested people, who may well be asymptomatic may just decide to stay home over the next week or two while this is in place rather than getting "caught", rather than them being out every night possibly spreading the virus ( even more than they already possibly are). If so Im sure the authorities would be thinking "great, job done" either way there then perhaps.

DoubleDutch
January 2nd, 2022, 23:27

Why? What happened?

DoubleDutch
January 2nd, 2022, 23:36
It's for real..

That is the rapid testing site at Tree Town on soi Bukhao, next to my favorite kebab stand, it's for people who wish to test, so what? It was there Saturday night and tonight, what's the harm, if people volunteer to test, all Thais btw, let them.

There is more testing staff there in NASA costumes than people being tested. No foreigner is forced to test, nor would anyone in their right mind be willing. No bar, no restaurant has been asking anyone for test today, I 've been out all day. Why are you guys freaking out?

DoubleDutch
January 2nd, 2022, 23:46
The prospects of attracting tourists to come to Pattaya just got dumped down the tubes. And I feel sorry for those like yourself who made the mistake of coming here.

As of 0.40 AM Monday morning nothing has changed, that includes Starbucks, places most likely to obey every stupid law, and unless bars and restaurants start asking for test tomorrow, you are panicking for no reason. Calm down, guys; nothing has changed, lets keep our outrage and panic buttons for when something actually happens.

DoubleDutch
January 3rd, 2022, 00:07
By 1 AM Monday morning I had entered four bars and several restaurant during the day, no one asked me anything, we were sitting with friends on steps at Tree Town on soi Bukhao 'testing center' where staff outnumbered the testees 10 to 1, it was funny to observe all the excitement.

I nor any foreigner in their right mind will submit to this test if ID is required, there will always be ton of places here that will never follow this idiocy. This law is very likely forgotten before it's even enforced.

But panic away if you must.

riverdee
January 3rd, 2022, 01:51
totally agree certainly feels like that in Scotland ((not England) we couldnt even celebrate our famous Hogmany,here and the world renowned Edinburgh shows were cancelled,Thailand may have dictators but Scotland going down the same road and thats no joke

Andaman!
January 3rd, 2022, 05:26
Thailand may have dictators but Scotland going down the same road and thats no joke

Hardly surprising when your leader’ name is an anagram of a leading brand of seasickness tablet. She certainly makes me feel nauseous.

StevieWonders
January 3rd, 2022, 07:12
Hardly surprising when your leader’ name is an anagram of a leading brand of seasickness tablet. She certainly makes me feel nauseous.
Part of the prime minister of Thailand's family name ("Ocha") translates as "tasty". Are there any inferences you'd care to make in the context of restaurants and COVID?

Dodger
January 3rd, 2022, 08:45
Or another way of looking at it would be that "untested people, who may well be asymptomatic may just decide to stay home over the next week or two while this is in place rather than getting "caught", rather than them being out every night possibly spreading the virus ( even more than they already possibly are). If so Im sure the authorities would be thinking "great, job done" either way there then perhaps.

Funny you should say this, because this is exactly what my partner Jai said to me last night.

His opinion is that the governor did this for several reasons; 1) As a way to discourage some (not all) patrons from going to restaurants if they suspect they could potentially have the virus, 2) As a means of reducing the number of people going to these public venues during the Omicron surge, thus lowering the risk, and 3) getting more positive tests on the books to use as justification for additional countermeasures which may be necessary in the near future.

Just so you know, Jai may have been raised in a jungle village where he had to climb trees to find insects for dinner, but he also graduated from one of the highest ranked Universities in Thailand with a 4.0 grade average. Rarely is he wrong - about anything.

Manforallseasons
January 3rd, 2022, 09:27
This was posted yesterday on Facebook by a restaurant in the complex it is both in German and English:

goji
January 3rd, 2022, 11:13
Testing of customers at bars is likely to reinforce the illusion of a higher infection rate amongst Farang.

Of course Omicron arrived with inbound travellers, including the 28(?) Thais who were infected whilst visiting Mecca.

However, once it's here, it's likely to spread amongst Thais and Farang. So far, Thais have been able to dodge testing, whilst Farang arriving now have 2 PCR tests. So on a per capita basis, more cases will be detected among Farang, purely due to a higher testing rate.

Dodger
January 3rd, 2022, 12:32
Testing of customers at bars is likely to reinforce the illusion of a higher infection rate amongst Farang.

In all fairness to the Governor, I just can't see where creating any illusion at this point would serve the Provinces best interest.

Chonburi desperately needs tourists which has been front-and-center to all efforts up till this point, but keeping the virus from becoming a wildfire has to take precedence. Everyone losses.

I take the liberty of casting stones at the government whenever I think it's warranted, but in this case it's Mother Nature we're up against - and casting stones at the wind only works if you're a pitcher on a baseball team practicing for your next game.

StevieWonders
January 3rd, 2022, 13:03
I take the liberty of casting stones at the government whenever I think it's warranted, but in this case it's Mother Nature we're up againstThey can sleep easy in their beds tonight - what a relief they won't have to worry about your vote until the next election. Oh wait, you're a non-resident alien and they don't give a rat's arse about your opinions anyway

goji
January 3rd, 2022, 13:03
keeping the virus from becoming a wildfire has to take precedence.

With vaccines and a milder virus variant, they have the option of doing nothing at all.
So far, as far as I can tell, that's pretty much what Boris Johnson is doing in England. In London, Omicron infections have increased rapidly, Delta infections have decreased and the number of people in hospital for COVID has been decreasing. So it seems to be working fine at present.

Thailand has the same choices.

StevieWonders
January 3rd, 2022, 13:07
With vaccines and a milder virus variant, they have the option of doing nothing at all. Exactly (not) - the effectiveness of the Chinese vaccines most Thais have received is the reason why arsenal is locked down in China - the Chinese government doesn't even believe its own vaccines are any good

DoubleDutch
January 3rd, 2022, 13:23
10am coffee at Central Festival Starbucks, no testing, no signs regarding test, no change of any kind.

Downstairs to Central food court, no testing, everything same as it ever was.

Around 1 PM walked down Beach Rd to Mike's Shopping Mall, outside there is a new, popular cafe, Pasha's Cafe, where Coffee Bean And Tea Leaf used to be. It is nearly always packed until late evening, probably because regular black coffee is 50 baht, large ice latte 60 baht, Starbucks prices 120 and 135 baht for same, Pasha's has table service. Again no testing, no signs informing about testing. Here (warning, 8 Mb file size):

https://i.imgur.com/jRVxp50.jpg

Walked toward Royal Garden, entered both Burger King and newly opened Taco Bell, no testing. Here:

https://i.imgur.com/1z4sURz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8HJYp7U.jpg

Walked to The Avenue on Second Road, entered both McDonalds and Starbucks, no testing. The Avenue:

https://i.imgur.com/cfnZ3NB.jpg

Mr. Dutch:

https://i.imgur.com/PHaLtqQ.jpg

So far, late last night, and this morning, nothing has changed. We'll see how the evening goes.

StevieWonders
January 3rd, 2022, 13:27
I don't regard Starbucks as "a restaurant" and a food court probably doesn't count as one either (no waiters, for example)

gerefan2
January 3rd, 2022, 14:02
Double Dutch:I do t think those places you list serve alcohol.

It’s alcohol that the are after (again). Bars and “restaurants”.

goji
January 3rd, 2022, 14:29
Yes, the initial reports were that all restaurants are affected by the diktat, but then later reports said this was places serving alcohol only.
Whether this was down to the clown not defining the rules properly, or mistranslation, I don't know.

StevieWonders
January 3rd, 2022, 15:21
Meanwhile on Fantasy Island, plans for memorable events for Pattaya in 2022 are progressing - https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/03/pattaya-mayor-says-regular-events-will-continue-despite-omicron-concerns-planning-begins-for-chinese-new-year-valentines-march-music-festival-songkran/

Dodger
January 3rd, 2022, 18:36
With vaccines and a milder virus variant, they have the option of doing nothing at all..

Agree, but apparently they're not taking that option.

The only thing any of us can do is just go-with-the-flow. It sounds like most of the restaurants are still operating without these new restrictions anyway.

Just enjoy your holiday...find a bar that's open and get a buzz on...a restaurant that doesn't require tests...and a boy that says "Up2U".

Manforallseasons
January 3rd, 2022, 20:03
Agree, but apparently they're not taking that option.

The only thing any of us can do is just go-with-the-flow. It sounds like most of the restaurants are still operating without these new restrictions anyway.

Just enjoy your holiday...find a bar that's open and get a buzz on...a restaurant that doesn't require tests...and a boy that says "Up2U".

These signs are beginning to appear in restaurants in town:

gerefan2
January 4th, 2022, 01:18
The Caddy Shack is my favourite restaurant. Ops normal Monday evening.

I’ll advise if I go there tomorrow.

StevieWonders
January 4th, 2022, 07:11
Chonburi Public Health Office is reporting 499 new cases today, the highest since 12th October 2021, and no deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (16), Si Racha (94), and Bang Lamung/Pattaya (336). There are 3,235 patients in care

AFAIK these are PCR tests; ATK/RAT results are not necessarily recorded

Gaybutton
January 4th, 2022, 09:21
​The good news is, according to a report in today's - January 4 - Pattaya Mail, restaurants outside the city part of Pattaya at least so far are ignoring the edict.

The last paragraph of the article says:

While places checked by police and the media were following the rules, there were copious reports online Monday from Pattaya residents who visited restaurants and bars in Jomtien Beach, Naklua and elsewhere away from the media spotlight that, as expected, weren’t bothering with the onerous new rules without any authorities bothering to check or enforce them.

Full article: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-opens-4-free-screening-points-to-meet-covid-19-test-mandate-385101

Newbie99
January 4th, 2022, 09:28
The real question is whether there is Covid in Jomtien Complex, as there is in many bars in Pattaya.

StevieWonders
January 4th, 2022, 10:12
​The good news is, according to a report in today's - January 4 - Pattaya Mail, restaurants outside the city part of Pattaya at least so far are ignoring the edict. That's definitely something to celebrate

arsenal
January 4th, 2022, 10:24
"The real question is whether there is Covid in Jomtien Complex, as there is in many bars in Pattaya."

Yes.
The bars/restaurants in Thailand are opening and closing like a Walking Street walkers privates. On the surface this seems like a bollocks to buggery half baked policy. And yet it brings in lifeline money for the bars and workers even for a short while so maybe not so hslf baked.

goji
January 4th, 2022, 10:57
There was no testing required in the complex on Monday night. I did see some bars with test kits stacked up by the entrance, but I didn't see anyone taking tests.

I guess the rules will be ignored for a while, then it remains to be seen if the BIB show up and shut the bars for a night.

colmx
January 4th, 2022, 11:11
Sinlapin issan had been operating until yesterday in their new outdoor area. Closed now for a week due to Covid.

Similarly some stores in terminal 21 have closed (notably h&m) due to Covid

aussie
January 5th, 2022, 08:03
There was no testing required in the complex on Monday night. I did see some bars with test kits stacked up by the entrance, but I didn't see anyone taking tests.

I guess the rules will be ignored for a while, then it remains to be seen if the BIB show up and shut the bars for a night.

Coqtaile Bar was asking customers for proof of covid testing. Most bars were not. Bar owners are meeting soon to discuss having the entrances to the Complex blocked to screen customers.

There have been reports of covid infections at various Complex locations. Some close contacts of those infected are still attending the Complex showing photos of their negative tests which does not convince me. They should be isolating with their partners.

Ruthrieston
January 5th, 2022, 09:00
And now there are almost no test kits to be found, all sold out. I tried many places yesterday, including the big Fascino shops, and all were sold out. How can they possible expect to test all customers in restaurants and bars when there are no test kits for sale.

After hearing from friends that there have been many infections among staff and customers in the Complex I have no intention of going there for a few weeks now.

a447
January 5th, 2022, 09:17
After hearing from friends that there have been many infections among staff and customers in the Complex I have no intention of going there for a few weeks now.

A sensible decision, IMHO.

Some of us - including myself - are so desperate to hop into bed with a hot Thai guy that we are in danger of throwing caution to the wind. Keeping a cool head in these circumstances is very difficult, at least for me.

I was ready to fly up to Thailand the moment Western Australia opened its borders. Now I'm not so sure. I've given up on my planned April visit and will wait a bit longer to see how things pan out.

I wouldn't be surprised if I don't make it there anytime this year, even if rapid antigen tests are widely available.

Newbie99
January 5th, 2022, 09:28
Omicron will come and go quickly.

But, while it’s here, I suspect that the infection rate for those who go to bars will be very, very high.

StevieWonders
January 5th, 2022, 10:04
Omicron will come and go quickly.

But, while it’s here, I suspect that the infection rate for those who go to bars will be very, very high.
Quickly? What are you basing that on? 6 weeks from trough to peak in South Africa and London. Then there's the decline from the peak to negotiate. Two to three months is much more likely

goji
January 5th, 2022, 10:28
Omicron is supposed to be mild, so I would think anyone under (say) 80, in good health and with good vaccines shouldn't be sat at home in fear.
For as long as I'm allowed to, I intend to carry on visiting Jomtien and other places. But I won't be taking any COVID test that will have the result shared with the authorities. I'm not being sent to a quarantine hospital.
On that topic, there was an article in the Bangkok post today, saying Phuket has assigned about 500 rooms in quarantine hotels, as tourists are refusing to go to quarantine hospitals and refusing to pay the hospital deposit.

Thanks to stupid quarantine policies, I expect Thailand has no clue about how many people have COVID. After all, who will share test results if they will be sent to a COVID jail ?

There are quite a few people coughing around South Pattaya at present. That includes me, but I passed a lateral flow test, bought from the UK. I need to preserve my stock of those, as the supply of new tests may be tight for a few weeks.

Brad the Impala
January 5th, 2022, 15:49
[QUOTE=goji;286079 But I won't be taking any COVID test that will have the result shared with the authorities. I'm not being sent to a quarantine hospital.
On that topic, there was an article in the Bangkok post today, saying Phuket has assigned about 500 rooms in quarantine hotels, as tourists are refusing to go to quarantine hospitals and refusing to pay the hospital deposit.

[/QUOTE]

Link to that article in the Bangkok Post. https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2242283/phuket-preps-hotel-guest-isolation

Manforallseasons
January 5th, 2022, 15:53
I bought several tests online from Lazada and happily have tested negative, I take a screenshot of the test result with the date and time of the test and keep it on my phone as this is adequate proof for 72 hours as I too am leery of using the 3 official test sites. I enjoy dining out but frankly I have seen little or no enforcement of the required test of customers. I spend no time in the Complex and doubt if every bar/restaurant is following testing protocol.

goji
January 5th, 2022, 16:13
Theoretically, I believe we are either supposed to test on the premises that we visit or use the official test centres, where they firstly take details off our ID cards.

Photographing a test proves nothing as I could photograph the same test result every day.

Manforallseasons
January 5th, 2022, 17:10
Theoretically, I believe we are either supposed to test on the premises that we visit or use the official test centres, where they firstly take details off our ID cards.

Photographing a test proves nothing as I could photograph the same test result every day.

In the above left corner is the date and time of the of the result pic.

Dodger
January 5th, 2022, 17:35
I bought several tests online from Lazada and happily have tested negative, I take a screenshot of the test result with the date and time of the test and keep it on my phone as this is adequate proof for 72 hours as I too am leery of using the 3 official test sites.

That's the best plan I've heard yet.

I'll be connecting to Lazada tomorrow to do the same thing.

Great tip!

Manforallseasons
January 5th, 2022, 18:03
That's the best plan I've heard yet.

I'll be connecting to Lazada tomorrow to do the same thing.

Great tip!

I Thai friend told me if you have a Thai iD you can go to 7/11 and buy a kit for 49baht of course if there are any left.

goji
January 6th, 2022, 00:06

That proves when the photo was taken (if we overlook the possibility of editing file properties).

How does it prove when the test was taken or who took the test ?

gerefan2
January 6th, 2022, 01:28
I’m sorry but that proves nothing.

You could have taken a pic of any test..maybe the test was taken weeks ago.

Anyway the good news is that in JC tests and signing in are available. They are being “sensible” about it.

Manforallseasons
January 6th, 2022, 07:44

You could have taken a pic of any test..maybe the test was taken weeks ago.

Anyway the good news is that in JC tests and signing in are available. They are being “sensible” about it.

Under the new mandate it is perfectly exceptable as for JC you say they are available, that’s nice but are the being used or are a few prominently on display should there be a raid?

Gaybutton
January 6th, 2022, 08:45

Does it really have to? From what I'm hearing, very few venues have been asking for test results in the first place and the ones that do want to see test results have been accepting whatever they are shown.

The only way I know of to prove the results would be to do the test right there at the venue with a staff member witnessing you do it. Even then, you could be keeping one in a pocket that shows a negative result and you can do a switch if the one you do at the venue results in a false positive.

However, if the test does result positive and you can't be sure whether you are truly positive or not, I'd say to get to a doctor and find out. If you legitimately are ill and need to be quarantined, I'd say to do it for your own good. I take Omicron or any other variant seriously and I'm not going to play games. If you do have to be quarantined, it may not be so bad or so expensive. My understanding is unless your symptoms are severe, they are letting people self-quarantine at home.

Of course, if you are in Thailand for a holiday and test positive, that could be a completely different story. If you are not already staying in one, you might have to move to a "hospitel".

I am among those who think having to do the test just to in a restaurant is absurd and overkill. But doing the test on your own every so often - to me that's a good idea.

goji
January 6th, 2022, 09:59
The only way I know of to prove the results would be to do the test right there at the venue with a staff member witnessing you do it. Even then, you could be keeping one in a pocket that shows a negative result and you can do a switch if the one you do at the venue results in a false positive.

However, if the test does result positive and you can't be sure whether you are truly positive or not, I'd say to get to a doctor and find out.

I thought the diktat required us to either test at one of the official centres or at the actual venue we are visiting. The official tests are presumably documented, but we have to show ID first, so they can forget that!
In practice, so far, none of the restaurants are requiring a test, so I can't comment on their procedures.

If I fail a COVID test, there is zero chance of me voluntarily going anywhere near a doctor, unless I were seriously ill. Which could happen, but is very low probability.
The plan would be to isolate in my room.

Dodger
January 6th, 2022, 12:19
To each his own.

The approach that Jai and I are taking is very simple; We're avoiding going to restaurants, or anywhere else for that fact, where a lot of people are gathering until this wave of Omicron has passed. If by chance either of us starts to feel ill we will take test(s) ourselves at home. If either of us were to test positive we would immediately self-quarantine to keep others safe. We wouldn't report this to anyone.

End of story.

aussie
January 7th, 2022, 08:28
Another Jomtien Complex bar/restauarant has been closed for the last two nights with a member of staff testing positive for Covid. With the lights out it is getting very dark at that end of the soi near the Thrappaya road entrance..

Dodger
January 7th, 2022, 09:03
If rapid antigen testing of staff members was mandatory in each and every business operating in Thailand at 72 hour intervals- each and every business in Thailand would be closed. That would include all airports, banks, government agencies, schools, recreational facilities, shopping malls, convenience stores, and the list goes on.

This mandatory testing at public venues appears to be TARGETED at select businesses. I'll leave it at that.

Kenny
January 7th, 2022, 12:21
Last night I went for a drink with friends in the Jomtien Complex.
Like them, I had tested negative on an antigen test.
As the bar staff had also tested negative I felt comfortable that I was in a covid safe environment.

I received a message from a friend who worked in a nearby bar. He was self-isolating after testing positive.
I hadn't seen him for a few days but it was good of him to contact me just in case.
He had lost his senses of taste and smell and surmised that he had the Delta variant.
This morning he contacted me again. His condition had deteriorated, fever and chronic fatigue, and he was being taken to hospital.

I went on an errand by Motorbike taxi up Thepprasit Road. We were overtaken by two police trucks carrying about 15 people each, all Thai as far as I could tell.
As they flew past with sirens wailing I asked the mototaxi driver what they were going to jail for?

"Covid" was the unsurprising reply, the consequence of testing positive was two weeks quarantine at the government's pleasure.

Things are getting a little bit serious...

goji
January 7th, 2022, 13:29
.I went on an errand by Motorbike taxi up Thepprasit Road. We were overtaken by two police trucks carrying about 15 people each, all Thai as far as I could tell.
As they flew past with sirens wailing I asked the mototaxi driver what they were going to jail for?

"Covid" was the unsurprising reply, the consequence of testing positive was two weeks quarantine at the government's pleasure.

If there's any perception of the government detaining people, the population will do the obvious and avoid testing.

According to the CCSA briefing today, the options for people with covid are 1 Hospital at your own expense, 2 Field hospital or 3 Isolate at home. They didn't explicitly say who chooses if we can isolate at home. So until that's clear, I don't trust them.

Dodger
January 7th, 2022, 18:20
I don't trust them.

Don't feel bad, nobody else trusts them either.

Can you imagine going out to dinner and end up getting tossed in the back of a police pickup truck and carted off to quarantine in a field hospital for 14 days. I'm sure the field hospitals in Thailand are really comfortable too. You go in with a mild case of Omicron, and get discharged 14 days later with Delta from the overcrowded conditions in the hospital and die a few days later from double pneumonia. Too much fun!

Manforallseasons
January 7th, 2022, 20:20
Don't feel bad, nobody else trusts them either.

Can you imagine going out to dinner and end up getting tossed in the back of a police pickup truck and carted off to quarantine in a field hospital for 14 days. I'm sure the field hospitals in Thailand are really comfortable too. You go in with a mild case of Omicron, and get discharged 14 days later with Delta from the overcrowded conditions in the hospital and die a few days later from double pneumonia. Too much fun!

I don’t know the current status of the bars/restaurants in the Complex simply because I don’t go there however, at lunch today 2 friends went to a bar there last night and they were asked to show their test, each carried one and had the date written on it as they did the test in their room, test kits that were given to them for free in the U.K. they were then allowed entrance and actually saw the bar owner refuse entry to a fellow who had no test.
Good on him!

goji
January 8th, 2022, 00:09
We visited a grand total of 4 bars this evening and were not asked for tests anywhere. Well done to the bars concerned.

Manforallseasons
January 8th, 2022, 00:24
We visited a grand total of 4 bars this evening and were not asked for tests anywhere. Well done to the bars concerned.

Since it’s well done please share for those interested which they are.

gerefan2
January 8th, 2022, 00:48
They could have been any bar.

They are all taking a “ realistic” approach.

Jellybean
January 8th, 2022, 01:01

Best left unsaid. See pic’ to follow ...

Manforallseasons
January 8th, 2022, 01:10
They could have been any bar.

They are all taking a “ realistic” approach.

I gather theses “realistic” approaches has lead to the closure of Boystown and will push the authorities to have no choice but to close these so called bar restaurants and will possibly curtail the ability to sell alcohol once again in restaurants, already as of today restaurants are ordered to close at PM. As Covid infections appear to be doubling almost daily the “realistic approaches” are destine to close any and all venues selling alcohol.

StevieWonders
January 8th, 2022, 01:37
I gather theses “realistic” approaches has lead to the closure of Boystown and will push the authorities to have no choice but to close these so called bar restaurants and will possibly curtail the ability to sell alcohol once again in restaurants, already as of today restaurants are ordered to close at PM. As Covid infections appear to be doubling almost daily the “realistic approaches” are destine to close any and all venues selling alcohol.The evidence that restrictions “work” for Omicron can be inferred from the following:

gerefan2
January 8th, 2022, 01:37
already as of today restaurants are ordered to close at PM..

I do not understand that comment. Nothing is mandated as of today. What do you mean by “to close at PM”??

Bars (restaurants!) in Pattaya are permitted to sell booze without restriction until Sunday 9 January . Normal closing times apply.

Then they are to stop selling booze after 9 pm. I assume you can drink up, finish your meal, etc until later.

Boyztown bars have been totally closed “for your safety” since 6 January...see goji’s pic below.

I hope someone in the know can explain why they were totally closed 4 days prior to the ‘early closing’ date.

Manforallseasons
January 8th, 2022, 08:25
Frankly, I think as long as bars/restaurants that actually use testing results taken within the prescribed 72 hours should be allow to remain open as long as they want.

Done at home yesterday…..

Dodger
January 8th, 2022, 09:33
As Covid infections appear to be doubling almost daily the “realistic approaches” are destine to close any and all venues selling alcohol.

Yes, while the actual places where people are catching the virus remain open. It's like being at Disneyland.

They were setting up those huge bleachers for spectators again on Jomtien Beach last week to host another mega sporting event. No antigen tests going on there...but the bars and restaurants where all these spectators go after the event have to test people and are being forced to close as a result. Even Disney would be blown away be this level of creativity. It's similar to Fantasia!

Dodger
January 9th, 2022, 12:55
I bought several tests online from Lazada and happily have tested negative, I take a screenshot of the test result with the date and time of the test and keep it on my phone as this is adequate proof for 72 hours as I too am leery of using the 3 official test sites.

According to CCSA - Self-tests at home or “photos” of a negative test are no longer allowed.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/09/chonburi-public-health-chief-inspects-business-venues-with-previous-clusters-in-pattaya-amid-rising-covid-19-infections-locally/

goji
January 9th, 2022, 13:11
According to CCSA - Self-tests at home or “photos” of a negative test are no longer allowed.

I don't think it ever was allowed, as the originally announced requirement was for testing either on the restaurant premises or at an official centre.
MFAS being allowed in with his photo of a claimed self-test was no more legal than bars allowing me in with no test. Just a different way of turning a blind eye.

Manforallseasons
January 9th, 2022, 14:29
I don't think it ever was allowed, as the originally announced requirement was for testing either on the restaurant premises or at an official centre.
MFAS being allowed in with his photo of a claimed self-test was no more legal than bars allowing me in with no test. Just a different way of turning a blind eye.

I don’t deem this a problem as I have purchased a large supply of tests and if I am going somewhere that hopefully requires a test I can produce a new unused kit.
BTW one also should use common sense and avoid crowded places such as malls, supermarkets and bars/restaurants that flagrantly disregard testing.

goji
January 9th, 2022, 16:26
BTW one also should use common sense and avoid crowded places such as malls, supermarkets and bars/restaurants that flagrantly disregard testing.

It depends on personal circumstances and how one views the risk.
I'm not planning to spend the next 30 years hiding from covid and if I had some exposure to Omicron, after a recent booster, I'd probably survive. Although nothing is guaranteed.

Dodger
January 9th, 2022, 17:51
I

......BTW one also should use common sense and avoid crowded places such as malls, supermarkets and bars/restaurants that flagrantly disregard testing.

Common sense has led me to avoiding anywhere that's crowed since this pandemic started.

Most of those cheap test kits you guys are screwing around with are made in China...LOL The irony.

christianpfc
January 11th, 2022, 09:02
In one month being back in Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya), I haven't come across a crowded place. It seems half of Bangkok and Pattaya population are back in their hometown. Two nights ago on Soi Sribampen (the Soi leading away from Malaysia hotel), a dog was sleeping on the road.

Manforallseasons
January 11th, 2022, 11:27
Royal Thai Police join forces in Pattaya to insure 9 PM halt of alcohol sales and testing requirements are being followed.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/10/pattaya-officials-and-law-enforcement-give-stern-warnings-to-restaurants-to-ensure-no-alcohol-sales-are-allowed-after-9pm/

christianpfc
January 13th, 2022, 21:47
I have finally come across one restaurant that requires an ATK or vaccination or recovery within less than 3 months, and skipped eating there. Wallflower in Bangkok near Hua Lampong. I have eaten in over 10 restaurants in Bangkok or Pattaya that do not ask for test or vaccination or recovery.