PDA

View Full Version : Drum Beats to Legalize Prostitution

Dodger
December 25th, 2021, 14:39
Who knows if there will ever be any forward progress on legalizing prostitution in Thailand - but at least the drums are beating.

The PattayaOne article below provides a thumb-nail sketch of the efforts being made - for what it's worth:

https://pattayaone.news/thai-government-party-legalizing-prostitution/

goji
December 25th, 2021, 15:25
If anything, the current trend is to increase the number of petty restrictions, which will be ignored.
Hence restrictions on bar opening and so on, despite widespread vaccination of the Thai population.

One would almost think these restrictions exist purely to allow the establishment to collect tea money.

Oliver2
December 25th, 2021, 16:27
Has there ever been a military junta, anywhere in the world, that relaxes laws involving social conduct rather than making them more stringent? I'm surprised that there haven't been more attacks on our community, as well as on these women trying to make an honest living. I suspect that women have two roles in junta ideology; firstly as wives, cooks and mothers and secondly as mia nois.

Gaybutton
December 25th, 2021, 20:13
Considering that prostitution in Thailand might technically be illegal, I think everyone reading this knows the real story. Legalizing it almost seems superfluous.

In my opinion, if they simply legalize it and then leave it alone, fine. No problem. But if they legalize it and then start trying to put in controls, rules, setting prices, and restrictions, that could spell trouble. Personally I'd rather just leave the status quo as it is and just ignore it. I see it as an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If there really is a necessity for legalizing prostitution in Thailand, I don't see it.

What I do see, however, is I believe it is high time that the age of consent be lowered from 18 to 17, or in this day and age, even 16.

latintopxxx
December 26th, 2021, 01:49
u want to make prostitution legal.....ok...but [Deleted text] ...really?!?! thought my moral compass was wonky...but yours is missing

Some text was deleted under rule 3.2.3 (1).

Jellybean

gerefan2
December 26th, 2021, 02:02
u want to make prostitution legal.....ok...but [Deleted text] ....really?!?! thought my moral compass was wonky...but yours is missing

That’s not what he said....

StevieWonders
December 26th, 2021, 02:41
u want to make prostitution legal.....ok...but [Deleted text] ....really?!?! thought my moral compass was wonky...but yours is missingArguably there are some who prefer Asian prostitutes because they look [Deleted text] There’s one poster here who makes no secret of his dislike of any evidence of adult characteristics such as body or facial hair in his partners

StevieWonders
December 26th, 2021, 02:45
Considering that prostitution in Thailand might technically be illegal, I think everyone reading this knows the real story. Legalizing it almost seems superfluous.

In my opinion, if they simply legalize it and then leave it alone, fine. No problem. But if they legalize it and then start trying to put in controls, rules, setting prices, and restrictions, that could spell trouble. Personally I'd rather just leave the status quo as it is and just ignore it. I see it as an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If there really is a necessity for legalizing prostitution in Thailand, I don't see it.

What I do see, however, is I believe it is high time that the age of consent be lowered from 18 to 17, or in this day and age, even 16.The age of consent in Thailand is only 18 where there is a presumption of prostitution

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2006/05/the-age-of-consent-in-thailand/

arsenal
December 26th, 2021, 07:43
"thought my moral compass was wonky."
My moral compass is in the same cardboard box as the Space Hopper, Flight Deck and Pop Tarts. A good idea that didn't work..

Dodger
December 26th, 2021, 08:57
The average punter in Thailand (gay or str8) prefers having sex with prostitutes who are less than half his age. That's just a fact. And, If anyone's moral compass was fully calibrated they wouldn't be coming to Thailand to have sex with prostitutes to begin with, so let's leave "morals" out of this.

I agree with Gaybutton: It's probably best to allow Prostitution to operate the way it always has in Thailand. Legal, or illegal, is of little interest to anyone.

How would the Prostitutes benefit from having their profession legalized? No one in the Kingdom received any meaningful financial support from the government when becoming unemployeed during this pandemic. A lot of promises were made, but the farmers I know, who have some of the hardest jobs, haven't received more than a few thousand baht in the past 20 months from the government. So who's kidding who?

The average Sex Worker makes a hell of a lot more money than the average Thai wage earner...have flexible work schedules...and spend less than 2 hours a day actually delivering the service they're selling. Not bad, considering they make more money than the Mayor.

If they really cared about the welfare of the Prostitutes they would just reopen the bars and nightly entertainment venues and get out of the way. The Prostitutes know how to do the rest...and that's all the tourists are concerned about.

goji
December 26th, 2021, 09:06
Why there would be a moral problem with prostitution between consenting adults?

Before anyone even tries, there is no reason to accept explanations that have their roots in immoral religions which are just a money making racket.
The morals need to be based on fundamental principles.
Since no third party is harmed by what goes on between consenting adults in private, I don't see the problem.

Dodger
December 26th, 2021, 09:21

Personally I don' see a problem with it, but where it gets sticky is when one of the adults is 60 years old - and the sex worker is 20 years old. Both consenting adults...yes, no question about it. Moral misconduct on the part of the much older adult?...Up2u.

To me, both are truly "consenting" if they are enjoying sex with each other for reasons other than $$money$$...where the poor country boy is servicing the wealthy punter from the West solely because of the hardships he's facing in life.

StevieWonders
December 26th, 2021, 10:11

Before anyone even tries, there is no reason to accept explanations that have their roots in immoral religions which are just a money making racket.
The morals need to be based on fundamental principles.
Since no third party is harmed by what goes on between consenting adults in private, I don't see the problem.

Inevitable that goji in particular ignores the whole issue of potential exploitation, summed up by the phrase I've heard from many Thai "What else can poor people do?"

goji
December 26th, 2021, 10:30
Moral misconduct on the part of the much older adult?

Why ?

Incidentally, for much of the past decade, Thailand has had full employment, so it's not even like there was any coercion. There were plenty of alternative jobs on offer.

Gaybutton
December 26th, 2021, 11:36
If it is between two (or more) consenting adults and one is at the minimal legal age of consent and the other is in his 60s, 70s, 80s, or whatever age, I fail to see a problem - legally, morally, or anything else. Those whose opinion that "old on young" is immoral, I'd like someone to explain to me what the immoral part is. I am not aware of any age limit that says if you are this age, it is immoral to have sex with someone younger than that age. I'd also like someone to tell me who it is that gets to decide what is immoral about it or that it is immoral at all, even if the older gent has to pay for it.

Even if it really is immoral, fine with me - while someone else has been reduced only to masturbating to pictures, videos and remembering sex (if he was ever getting any in the first place) because of a morality issue, I'll be out there being immoral and getting the real thing.

"That's right, I'm a dirty old man. And I'm gonna be a dirty old man 'til I'm a dead old man".
- Redd Foxx

Dodger
December 26th, 2021, 13:11
If it is between two (or more) consenting adults and one is at the minimal legal age of consent and the other is in his 60s, 70s, 80s, or whatever age, I fail to see a problem - legally, morally, or anything else.

Even if it really is immoral, fine with me -

If you don't see a problem with it - then for you - there isn't a problem.

Gaybutton
December 26th, 2021, 13:15
If you don't see a problem with it - then for you - there isn't a problem.

Do you see a problem with it? If yes, what is it?

StevieWonders
December 26th, 2021, 13:32
Who is the better Ena Sharples impersonator? A poll maybe?

Dodger
December 26th, 2021, 13:38
Why ?.

There's no debate here, and I'm certainly not looking for any moral high-ground either...not with my past.

Like I mentioned to GB, If you don't see a problem with it - then for you - there isn't a problem.

Conversely, if a person does have negative feelings about this (bad karma) and considers this to be "exploiting", then that's his prerogative.

StevieWonders
December 26th, 2021, 13:55
There's no debate here, and I'm certainly not looking for any moral high-ground either...not with my past.

Like I mentioned to GB, If you don't see a problem with it - then for you - there isn't a problem.

Conversely, if a person does have negative feelings about this (bad karma) and considers this to be "exploiting", then that's his prerogative.

Dodgems is looking forward to a deep and meaningful discussion with his soon-to-be-visiting daughter about his use of prostitutes young enough to be his great-grandchildren. Who can doubt how supportive she'll be

Dodger
December 26th, 2021, 14:10
Do you see a problem with it?

If I did, it would only pertain to ME.

Oliver2
December 26th, 2021, 20:55
I'd be interested in the views of Dodger's boy-friend. And of the many who have travelled to Pattaya et al to better their lives. Many failed to do so, admittedly , some disastrously, but there are plenty who were successful and are now living lives which are beyond the imaginations of those who stayed in Isaan and so on.

One I know would have died had he not taken the chance on Pattaya after a succession of poorly-paid jobs

latintopxxx
December 27th, 2021, 00:49
first we need to define (a) "adult" and (b) "consenting". Possibly Im biased as my ideal MB is NOT a fem twink...its ideally a lightly muscled twenty something with a bubble butt. I don't believe that [Deleted text] has the mental capacity to make a decision when cash is flashed in his face...

Some text was deleted under rule 3.2.3 (1).

Jellybean

Dodger
December 27th, 2021, 07:26
I'd be interested in the views of Dodger's boy-friend.

I'm not sure if his views would contribute much to the topic at hand - as he was never a "working boy". He doesn't seem too impressed with the boys who are, but avoids being judgmental and seems to understand the various reasons why some choose to do this.

Buddhists don't freak out over too much of anything. Each person is responsible for his/hers own actions...what goes around comes around, and what others do with their lives is Up2Them. Where gaining good karma through their actions in life means everything.

maump
December 27th, 2021, 08:51
What I do see, however, is I believe it is high time that the age of consent be lowered from 18 to ...

US citizens should be advised that even if this was reduced it would remain illegal under US federal law with a zealous organization that has a preference to go after homosexuals. {18 U.S.C. § 1591}

Gaybutton
December 27th, 2021, 08:57
US citizens should be advised that even if this was reduced it would remain illegal

Very good point. You're right. I should have thought of that. Of course the chances that in the foreseeable future Thailand will lower the age of consent are quite remote, so I doubt anyone who sticks to 18+ has anything legal to worry about.

Dodger
December 27th, 2021, 18:11
History of Prostitution in Thailand.

Interesting read:

https://www.endslaverynow.org/blog/articles/history-of-prostitution-and-sex-trafficking-in-thailand

latintopxxx
December 28th, 2021, 00:30
thanks Dodger....had no idea re all the minor and slave wives...guess its just been reinvented under a different arrangement....the power of sex and domination is extraordinary

StevieWonders
December 28th, 2021, 03:11
thanks Dodger....had no idea re all the minor and slave wives...guess its just been reinvented under a different arrangement....the power of sex and domination is extraordinaryAs I was reminding my official consort just the other day, it’s a man’s world in Asia, none of this “Me Too” nonsense