PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Cancels New Year’s Celebrations

Manforallseasons
December 24th, 2021, 09:56
https://pattayaone.news/bangkok-metropolitan-administration-cancels-all-of-its-2022-new-year-celebration-events/

Dodger
December 24th, 2021, 10:21
Just for clarification:

Bangkok has canceled it's New Years celebrations, but, from all accounts, the New Year itself won't be cancelled.

We're still expected to be entering 2022 at the strike of midnight on Dec 31st until further notice.

In the event that the CCSA does in fact cancel the New Year, provisions will be made to refund any money spent by people on 2022 calendars.

Oliver2
December 24th, 2021, 14:03
A huge relief; if there's ever been one year in my life that I do not wish to continue, it's 2021.

a447
December 24th, 2021, 14:37
Up until Covid struck I rarely spent New Year in Australia; in fact, I think I've only remained in Perth twice since I returned from Japan.

I've been in Bangkok 3 or 4 times and although I enjoyed the celebrations outside Central World, they were nothing to write home about.

Other than that, I've spent NY in Tokyo or various places in Europe.

But one of the best New Years Eves ever was spent in Pattaya, down on the beach with my regular guy (at the time). We sent dozens of lanterns into the sky and then went back to the hotel to enjoy what the Japanese call "yarizome" - the first fuck of the new year.

It's a shame that this year the celebrations in Bkk have been cancelled, but I think that's the case in other cities around the world, too.

Anyway, while I'm at it, here's wishing you all a safe and very merry Christmas! And a much, much better 2022.

That's the least we can ask for!

pong
December 24th, 2021, 19:07
Indeed, as such the celebrations for 1/1 are not that special. PLus that its a plus that BKK empties out the days before and traffic is a breeze-for those 2-3 days/yr.
I always found it quite amusing that most of the MBs had high expectations of 1/1-somehow the Thai superstitious belief was that many of those ´yarizomes´ could be expected and the rewards were or should be ample. Even more from the female ditto ladies. It most of times however did not really materialise in that amount-but next yr hopes were same-same or even higher.
Fondly remember some of the New/Old Year ´pahtees' or celebrations in some bars-alas, all of those wild ones seem to have closed.
Special congratulations to the happy few that were able to sneak in TH during that short opened window of opportunity with that Green/TH-Pass-like der christian and vinapu. Await their reports with happy anticipations!
And for all the other : in Thai: Melly KLissemes! That many bells may jingle and even more Rudolphes may bring lots of presents!

bkkguy
December 24th, 2021, 19:29
A huge relief; if there's ever been one year in my life that I do not wish to continue, it's 2021.

at the end of 2019 the panel on a BBC news comedy/satire program were hoping for a new news topic to replace Brexit
at the end of 2020 the same panel were regretting even thinking this
at the end of 2021 the same panel felt that next year would be deja vu all over again because it will just be 2020 too (2022)

I am not a fan of British politics, but if you need some light relief Mock the Week is still one of my favourite BBC programs, with Have I Got News for You a close second - YouTube is your friend

Brad the Impala
December 24th, 2021, 19:32
But one of the best New Years Eves ever was spent in Pattaya, down on the beach with my regular guy (at the time). We sent dozens of lanterns into the sky and then went back to the hotel to enjoy what the Japanese call "yarizome" - the first fuck of the new year.

Bless them, surely only the Japanese could have a name for the first fuck of the new year!

a447
December 25th, 2021, 14:35
Bless them, surely only the Japanese could have a name for the first fuck of the new year!

Yep. Don't you just love 'em?

They have a word for everything, many of which (like yarizome) don't appear in the dictionary.

Oliver2
December 25th, 2021, 16:31
"Yarizome" is irrelevant to me. What's the Japanese word for the first one since God-knows-when?

a447
December 25th, 2021, 17:40
"Yarizome" is irrelevant to me. What's the Japanese word for the first one since God-knows-when?

YATTA!!!

See? They do have a word for everything! Lol

Old git
December 29th, 2021, 19:15
Some of the Covid data emerging in the UK is looking really encouraging, but also creating a good argument for a radical policy change in countries where Omicron has not yet taken off.

1) Evidence on how severe Omicron is as an infection suggests that it is like a mild cold, and typically short lived, rarely symptomatic for more than two or three days. Hospitalisation as a direct consequence of Omicron is rare - a report today indicates that 80% of those testing positive when admitted to hospital were admitted for other reasons.

Any bug can be life threatening when someone is on their death bed, but the mortality risk for those in average health appears to be effectively zero.

2) Omicron is displacing Delta. A key question has been whether Omicron would infect alongside Delta or displace it. Data published last night indicates that over 90% of Covid cases in the UK are now Omicron, and that the number of Delta cases is falling rapidly. Displacement is clearly at play.

3) Omicron seems to be a bit picky about where it takes off. The most intense outbreaks are countries that have either black African genes prevalent in the population or the genes that can cause red hair. Where neither are common it's being slow to gain traction.

However, in the UK, the displacement of Delta suggests that it is not picking and choosing who it infects, which implies the genetic element may determine who the most effective vectors of the bug are, rather than those most vulnerable to it.

Logic now dictates that Omicron should be welcomed as a tolerable variant of Covid that displaces Delta. To that end, countries like Thailand should now throw their doors open to tourists and remove all testing, restrictions and mask requirements, so that Omicron can now be seeded by tourists in the local population to drive out Delta.

However, I wonder how long it will take for such logic to sink in..?

dinagam
December 29th, 2021, 19:44

Old git
December 29th, 2021, 20:10
Some people are enjoying their day in the limelight too much - and don't want the Covid party to end..