PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Hotel, Bangkok CLOSED

snotface
December 13th, 2021, 11:40
Does anyone have recent experience of this hotel? I've been unable to contact Jimmy or the hotel itself. Going by the online booking agencies, there's been a big hike in room rates. I'm assuming it's no longer the good deal it was, but would appreciate confirmation of that.

goji
December 13th, 2021, 15:55
If they have had a big hike in room rates, whilst other Bangkok hotels are charging half their normal rate, I suspect there will not be many recent customers.

snotface
December 13th, 2021, 16:18
It certainly surprised me. When I saw the Agoda price of 3600B I assumed at first that it was for the whole three nights I was enquiring about. Nope - per night. It's so odd that I'm hoping someone here can shed light on the matter.

mark86
December 13th, 2021, 17:42
https://www.reservations.com/hotel/pinnacle-lumpinee-park-hotel?rc-ar=01-04-2022&rc-de=01-11-2022&rc-ro=1&rc-lo=Bangkok&rc-ppid=0&rc-rm=1

Just did a quick check on their website for a week in January

thaiophilus
December 13th, 2021, 17:52
Following that link I'm seeing room rates starting at £29 per night (YMMV) which doesn't seem unreasonable.

snotface
December 13th, 2021, 19:07
The prices in the reservations.com link are what I would expect. But they are for January. If you check the Christmas period, which is what I am interested in, the reservations.com site will offer you Annex Lumpini, close to Pinnacle but much smaller and with few facilities. I made my original enquiry through TripAdvisor.com and it is still showing an Agoda price of over 3000B per night (now 3052 instead of 3600) over Christmas. I suspect that Pinnacle is not functioning normally at the moment. It would be nice to confirm this with a call to the hotel, but none of the three numbers I have found is working.

thaiophilus
December 13th, 2021, 19:15
... and Agoda is offering me rooms at £27.
I have had trouble with Agoda confusing currencies in the past. It's possible that when you see "3052 baht" they really mean 30.52 pounds/dollars/euros.

but as the Pinnacle's own website is (mostly) down and booking.com is not taking reservations, I would tend to assume they are not operating at all.

Armando
December 14th, 2021, 08:29
Many hotels have raised prices substantially for the Christmas/New Year period. Checking just now on agoda for the period December 23 to 29 the Pinnacle room price rises from 25 but there is still one room left for those six night quoted at an average of 1,640 baht per night inclusive of tax and service, but with no breakfast.

mr giggles
December 14th, 2021, 13:07
Does anyone have recent experience of this hotel? I've been unable to contact Jimmy or the hotel itself. Going by the online booking agencies, there's been a big hike in room rates. I'm assuming it's no longer the good deal it was, but would appreciate confirmation of that.

Jimmy has not been well, so unsurprising. Try contacting the hotel directly.
Dealing with Jimmy can be tiresome, I found it easier to bypass him. (But I wish him well) My time is more valuable than a few shekels.
To Each Their Own

christianpfc
December 14th, 2021, 13:36
Pinnacle is closed! (I added CLOSED to thread title.)

I just walked past and checked: Main entrance door closed and locked, inside lights on but nobody to be seen. Medical equipment and construction material for interior decoration standing around reception area. Car park full of cars and and there I saw some people and got the information "closed" but no details (why and until when).

They must have forgotten to take their rooms off hotel booking websites. At best you get a cancellation, at worst you arrive and find closed doors and nobody there.

A year ago I was looking at rooms in Siem Reap and found the following (Hotel de la Renaissance for 0 EUR including breakfast). I called to check but nobody picked up. I found another place in Siem Reap (call to confirm they are open), and when I drove past Hotel de la Renaissance, I saw it all locked up (like all the other big hotels along the highway).

goji
December 14th, 2021, 14:26
That would not be the only example.

I recently checked a hotel in Boyztown on behalf of someone who had a booking. It was closed. I understand the booking agency then offered a very good deal on an alternative hotel.

I also noticed rooms offered at The Penthouse for last weekend. That's been closed for months and remains closed.

snotface
December 14th, 2021, 16:50
Thanks for checking, Christian. As it happens I just had a message from Jimmy (finally) to the same effect. He 'hopes' it will reopen in January. Mai bpen rai, I had already made very satisfactory alternative arrangements.

I've stayed at the Pinnacle many times over the years. An amusing memory comes back to me. I went up to the 15th (?) floor for a sauna one afternoon. An elderly farang was sitting in the small sauna room looking down sadly at his midriff. When he started to speak I thought for a moment he was addressing me, but no he was addressing his cock. 'We were born together,' he said. 'We grew up together. We had adventures in Thailand together. Why did you have to go and die before me.' I tried to cheer him up with some reflections of a philosophical nature. He looked to me like someone who could cope with life's vicissitudes.

Mancs
December 15th, 2021, 05:09
Pinnacle is closed! (I added CLOSED to thread title.)

I just walked past and checked: Main entrance door closed and locked, inside lights on but nobody to be seen. Medical equipment and construction material for interior decoration standing around reception area. Car park full of cars and and there I saw some people and got the information "closed" but no details (why and until when).

They must have forgotten to take their rooms off hotel booking websites. At best you get a cancellation, at worst you arrive and find closed doors and nobody there.

A year ago I was looking at rooms in Siem Reap and found the following (Hotel de la Renaissance for 0 EUR including breakfast). I called to check but nobody picked up. I found another place in Siem Reap (call to confirm they are open), and when I drove past Hotel de la Renaissance, I saw it all locked up (like all the other big hotels along the highway).

Hi Christian, When you're walking about can you check out if the situation is the same as Pinnacle at Malaysia Hotel and Pantip Suites not far away? The booking sites suggest so. I hope they can all reopen when things are better.

christianpfc
December 15th, 2021, 15:37
Status of hotels on Soi Nganduplee and Sathorn Soi 1, coming from Rama 4 road:

Pinnacle Lumpini CLOSED.

Malaysia Hotel main building closed. Side buildings operate as normal hotel 1200 THB/night.

Ibis Sathorn Hotel operates as SHA+ quarantine hotel and normal hotel. Breakfast buffet 6-11, but you cant' take food by yourself, have to order from staff.

Tungmahamek Privacy Hotel open, short time 2 h 300 THB, overnight 600 THB.

S1 Hostel open, 600-700 THB/night depending on room standard.

Panthip Suites Sathorn CLOSED.

Mancs
December 16th, 2021, 06:11
Status of hotels on Soi Nganduplee and Sathorn Soi 1, coming from Rama 4 road:

Pinnacle Lumpini CLOSED.

Malaysia Hotel main building closed. Side buildings operate as normal hotel 1200 THB/night.

Ibis Sathorn Hotel operates as SHA+ quarantine hotel and normal hotel. Breakfast buffet 6-11, but you cant' take food by yourself, have to order from staff.

Tungmahamek Privacy Hotel open, short time 2 h 300 THB, overnight 600 THB.

S1 Hostel open, 600-700 THB/night depending on room standard.

Panthip Suites Sathorn CLOSED.

Thank you for the update, Christian. Sad but that's the reality.