PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya is Back - and Ready to Rock!

Dodger
December 5th, 2021, 14:25
Pattaya is flooded with tourists right now which is a sight for poor eyes to put it mildly. It appears as if the vast majority of visitors are Thai nationals, with a small percentage being foreigners.

After spending 5 hours cruising the coastline (from Hat Nong Ram in the South - to Wong Amat in the North) I'm dam glad to be home - because the traffic is heavier than it's been in the past 18 months.

This being a holiday weekend surely contributes to this - but I have a strange feeling that the alcohol bans being lifted in restaurants and many bars also has something to do with this phenomenon.

Traffic along the beach fronts in Pattaya and Jomtien is moving at a snails pace with not an empty parking space in sight. Throngs of people can be seen visiting the small shops and restaurants...the beach concessions are filled to the max...and all you see is people smiling from ear-to-ear - adding to the jubilant atmosphere.

It was still early (1:00 PM) but there was a lot of activity in Jomtien Complex with boys setting up chairs...cleaning table tops...and unloading what seemed to be supplies at several of the bar locations (opps, sorry...I meant Cafe's)

I just returned home...tired of combating all the traffic...but glad I made the journey. In my diary, this will go down as the Day the Rainbow Returned.

A special thanks should go out to each and every bar owner who struggled to survive this past 18 months of Hell. And that includes our brothers in Bangkok like Pride, Balcony, Circus, Connections, and all the others who hung in there and weathered the storm.

Hopefully this will mark the new beginning and we don't have to suffer another round of setbacks, but at least there's a glimmer of hope shining brightly from the Gay Venues letting everyone know that the Rainbow in Thailand still stands.

I haven't ventured over to The Complex during the evenings for a while, but from what I've heard from several locals, the scene has been busy just like the old days for the past 2 evenings...the chairs are loaded...smiling boys...alcohol flowing...and plenty of SMILES to go around.

I plan a night out in The Complex after this holiday weekend and will look forward to thanking and congratulating each and every bar owner, followed by a round of drinks for his/hers staff and any customers who are in the bar at the time. I look forward to repeating this at every gay bar (cafe) in Pattaya that I visit. This will be my way of showing my gratitude - as well as a good excuse to party my ass off and get smashed.

Hope to see you there.

dinagam
December 5th, 2021, 17:16
Don't take off the mask even if you have the strong urge to sniff someone.

francois
December 5th, 2021, 22:00
Yes, friends who visited Jomtien Complex last night reported it was quite busy. Many of the bars reopened, serving food and drink and were packed with older gentlemen enjoying the revitalized scene.

Nirish guy
December 6th, 2021, 01:10
Yes, friends who visited Jomtien Complex last night reported it was quite busy.

Dont be telling GB - he'll be having a fit as according to him all the bars are closed and it's definitely not worth anyone's time even considering travelling to Thailand just now !

Manforallseasons
December 6th, 2021, 09:38
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/chon-buri-and-pattaya-bar-scene-get-good-news-but-at-what-cost

goji
December 6th, 2021, 10:09
Jomtien was not the only place with gay bars open last night.
I'd better not name the bar, since I doubt they have a restaurant license. However, apply some Winning logic to figure it out.

As for visiting Pattaya, it's warm and sunny. The phone apps are busy and the bars are open. Lots of businesses have closed, but my favourites seem to survive.

catawampuscat
December 6th, 2021, 12:04
Jomtien complex felt like old times last night. Many boy beer bars reopened, serving alcohol. Many many elderly expats and relatively
few lads in proportion to number of expats.
Sun bar open and few seats available. Reportedly, they can get away being a restaurant and you can order food
from restaurants there. Cockatoo also open but less blatantly as well as several other that have been shuttered for a long time.
More boys clustered around the boy massage parlors, which have open for a while already.
No idea about Boyztown area bars Or Sunee Plaza boy bars..I’ve heard Winner boys partially open with 2 or 3 lads. No Gogo though.
Saturday night was also busy in Jomtien complex.
One issue, if the bars stay open are the boys. Many came from Cambodia .Doubtful they can easily return.

Dodger
December 6th, 2021, 12:11
Jomtien was not the only place with gay bars open last night.
I'd better not name the bar, since I doubt they have a restaurant license. However, apply some Winning logic to figure it out.

That is correct. And by applying the same logic, there are others around the same circle.

The Boys are serving Hot Dogs...but you have to bring your own buns.

Dodger
December 7th, 2021, 14:57
Removing the ban on Booze has had an immediate impact on business and tourism in Pattaya.

Just further proof that this is a Party Town, regardless of how they want to dress it (or, re-dress it).

No Booze/No Bars = No Tourists.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/revoking-alcohol-ban-a-boon-to-pattaya-hotels-and-restaurants-381787

goji
December 7th, 2021, 17:55
One issue, if the bars stay open are the boys. Many came from Cambodia .Doubtful they can easily return.
Some never left and were messaging me on Grindr before I got to the hotel room !

However, of course many have left. To return, I guess they have the options of arriving like I did, with the cost of an ASQ hotel and insurance added. So several clients are needed just to pay for that. Or arriving illegally, as at least one is known to have done.

gerefan2
December 7th, 2021, 18:40
No Booze/No Bars = No Tourists.

No booze/ No bars = No Tourists = NO PATTAYA

vnman
December 8th, 2021, 02:04
Some never left and were messaging me on Grindr before I got to the hotel room !

However, of course many have left. To return, I guess they have the options of arriving like I did, with the cost of an ASQ hotel and insurance added. So several clients are needed just to pay for that. Or arriving illegally, as at least one is known to have done.

Ohh, you are already in Thailand?

gerefan2
December 8th, 2021, 02:23
Ohh, you are already in Thailand?

I also noticed fewer boys than expected in Jomtien on Sunday. That's not something I complain about, since there were enough boys to brighten up the experience.

Amongst many posts...!

vnman
December 10th, 2021, 08:40
Amongst many posts...!

I had not noticed and realized with that post. My question was more rhetorical of nature but I could have probably made that clearer.

goji
December 10th, 2021, 23:33
The police appeared at one of the bars at the top end of the complex early on Friday evening, around 7:30, or for all I know, beforehand. All the bars closed, although I got the impression there was at least one upstairs "private party".

Manforallseasons
December 10th, 2021, 23:46
The police appeared at one of the bars at the top end of the complex early on Friday evening, around 7:30, or for all I know, beforehand. All the bars closed, although I got the impression there was at least one upstairs "private party".

This is surprising, though I avoid the Complex friends told me many bars were openly selling alcohol.

Obviously the police are being somewhat selective as this video shows people drinking openly enjoying the Music Festival. https://youtu.be/5WavdGrJYmc

goji
December 11th, 2021, 09:52
This is surprising, though I avoid the Complex friends told me many bars were openly selling alcohol.

Obviously the police are being somewhat selective as this video shows people drinking openly enjoying the Music Festival. https://youtu.be/5WavdGrJYmc

They were openly selling alcohol in the complex on Thursday. On Friday the police changed that.

I was surprised by the size of the police presence at the music festival in the afternoon, long before it opened up. Also the army were present.
Perhaps they have their fingers in that pie.

Dodger
December 11th, 2021, 10:04
I'm not surprised by any of these tight controls we're witnessing at all, considering the level of fear and apprehension the government's faced with right now regarding the "Reopening"'.

They're facing huge risk and they known it, the same as all other countries who are trying to jump-start their economies and make people happy again.

So far I don't disagree with any of the actions we're seeing. The onus is on the bars and restaurants to make sure they are SHA Certified, have the appropriate license(s), and are following covid-safe protocol. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting hassled or busted who was following these requirements.

goji
December 11th, 2021, 13:27
This morning I was walking up Soi Bukhao and noticed a number of bars and restaurants with prominently displayed SHA+ certification.
I guess some of the Jomtien businesses might need to chase after this. I don't know what the cost is, but it would be very unfair to burden small businesses with fees at a time when they are already struggling. Also, it wasn't immediately obvious what a SHA+ business has to do differently. The table spacing seemed normal.
I later wandered into the food court at Terminal 21. This had none of the daft social distancing measures that were in place early in the year. I guess big businesses, with the right connections can do what they like

Dodger
December 11th, 2021, 14:52
Also, it wasn't immediately obvious what a SHA+ business has to do differently.

From what I understand, SHA = 70% of staff fully vaccinated. SHA+ = 100% of staff fully vaccinated.

goji
December 11th, 2021, 15:06
From what I understand, SHA = 70% of staff fully vaccinated. SHA+ = 100% of staff fully vaccinated.

Well that's easy enough. If they can't do it in Pattaya, hire a minibus to drive them to Bangkok for walk in appointments. They seem to do anymore who shows up, including farang.
Then fire the ones who refuse vaccines.

Manforallseasons
December 11th, 2021, 15:10
Well that's easy enough. If they can't do it in Pattaya, hire a minibus to drive them to Bangkok for walk in appointments. They seem to do anymore who shows up, including farang.
Then fire the ones who refuse vaccines.

They do it right here in Pattaya on the east side at the sports stadium every day….Moderna/Pfizer

bkkguy
December 11th, 2021, 19:53
I'm not surprised by any of these tight controls we're witnessing at all, considering the level of fear and apprehension the government's faced with right now regarding the "Reopening"'.

They're facing huge risk and they known it, the same as all other countries who are trying to jump-start their economies and make people happy again.

So far I don't disagree with any of the actions we're seeing. The onus is on the bars and restaurants to make sure they are SHA Certified, have the appropriate license(s), and are following covid-safe protocol. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting hassled or busted who was following these requirements.

while not meaning to pick you out specifically Dodger, this response and others on this thread confuse me having just come from reading threads like "What a difference a week makes" where everyone was liking posts and encouraging visitors breaking SHA+ Test & Go requirements and visiting venues obviously operating beyond current license, SHA/SHA+ and Covid restrictions

the SHA and SHA+ requirements go far beyond just vaccination of staff, but the feeling here is obviously that circumventing this is all just part of the game of getting back to the fun we want to have

the operation of gay venues in Thailand has always only existed because of creative enforcement of the licensing and other laws, but with Covid how far do we need to draw back from our gay abandon of compliance with government restrictions? your first few paragraphs seem to be significantly at variance with many of the posts on this and other threads here - as residents and tourists here how Covid safe do we really want to be?

oh god, I feel like I am channeling Gaybutton on the Silom Soi 2 thread - I will just shut up and go away!

goji
December 11th, 2021, 21:16
as residents and tourists here how Covid safe do we really want to be?

As I see it we are all vaccinated.
The Thais also have had the opportunity of vaccines, including, it seems, mRNA boosters.

So that's as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future and they should remove all restrictions and get on with it.

Of course, this should be a matter for the Thai people to decide, ideally via a democratically elected government. In practice, they have an imposed government and there is no logic to some of their repressive decisions. Chonburi has harsher restrictions than Bangkok, yet last time I saw data, Chonburi had the lower infection rate

DoubleDutch
December 11th, 2021, 22:43
As I see it we are all vaccinated.
The Thais also have had the opportunity of vaccines, including, it seems, mRNA boosters.

So that's as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future and they should remove all restrictions and get on with it.

Exactly, we are vaccinated! Life will likely not get better than now, and we have simple choice; to live or not live, there is no point in waiting, Most people here don't have luxury of time, we lost close to 2 years.

I got to Thailand Saturday morning, test in hotel came in negative; I'm staying for winter as always, and I intend to live.

Sad about Jomtien Complex news. Current Junta is very much like Taliban, nothing we can do about that, but there are always places in Pattaya and Bangkok to party.

vnman
December 11th, 2021, 23:01
Exactly, we are vaccinated! Life will likely not get better than now, and we have simple choice; to live or not live, there is no point in waiting, Most people here don't have luxury of time, we lost close to 2 years.

I got to Thailand Saturday morning, test in hotel came in negative; I'm staying for winter as always, and I intend to live.

Sad about Jomtien Complex news. Current Junta is very much like Taliban, nothing we can do about that, but there are always places in Pattaya and Bangkok to party.

I agree with you that we have to choose to live. However, it is up to us to find a place where this is possible. That comparison with the Taliban might be in poor taste for those who have really suffered their regime. But I do agree with you, time is ticking for all of us and I am not willing to sit at home either.

Enjoy your winter!

DoubleDutch
December 12th, 2021, 15:53
That comparison with the Taliban might be in poor taste for those who have really suffered their regime.

Enjoy your winter!

Current regime's disliking of foreigners is readily apparent, they don't even bother to hide it any more, we all remember Minister of Health's putting saying it out loud. I get that they don't like us, they tolerate us, but regime's attitude towards alcohol is truly bizarre, can't think of any country that relies on tourism income so heavily, yet works actively against tourism. Generals may not like happy foreigners, but their restrictive, puritan laws are doing most damage to locals, their own people, for us it is just mild inconvenience.

You say comparing them to Taliban is out of line, but what other regime in the world is so much against alcohol, bars and nightclubs? There are really only handful of such restrictive places, and they are all Islamist regimes.
I don't drink, unfortunately these laws affect everyone here, buzz and typical Thai liveliness is missing now.

vnman
December 12th, 2021, 16:10
Current regime's disliking of foreigners is readily apparent, they don't even bother to hide it any more, we all remember Minister of Health's putting saying it out loud. I get that they don't like us, they tolerate us, but regime's attitude towards alcohol is truly bizarre, can't think of any country that relies on tourism income so heavily, yet works actively against tourism. Generals may not like happy foreigners, but their restrictive, puritan laws are doing most damage to locals, their own people, for us it is just mild inconvenience.

You say comparing them to Taliban is out of line, but what other regime in the world is so much against alcohol, bars and nightclubs? There are really only handful of such restrictive places, and they are all Islamist regimes.
I don't drink, unfortunately these laws affect everyone here, buzz and typical Thai liveliness is missing now.

Yes, I hear what you are saying. Sadly the Taliban are a whole lot more than party-poopers when it comes to nightlife :-)

Dodger
December 15th, 2021, 17:15
FINALLY!

The news that open-air bars in Pattaya will be allowed to reopen tomorrow (Dec 16) is flooding the streets.

It would have been nice to see this covered in the news - but who's complaining.

Now the drum roll for Jomtien Complex bars begins. We should know the outcome 24 hours from now.

Fingers crossed!

Manforallseasons
December 15th, 2021, 19:19
FINALLY!

The news that open-air bars in Pattaya will be allowed to reopen tomorrow (Dec 16) is flooding the streets.

It would have been nice to see this covered in the news - but who's complaining.

Now the drum roll for Jomtien Complex bars begins. We should know the outcome 24 hours from now.

Fingers crossed!

I suspect there is a reason there is no news story about this!

Dodger
December 16th, 2021, 07:40
I suspect there is a reason there is no news story about this!

I suspect you're right...LOL

Dodger
December 16th, 2021, 15:38
Confusion still reigns as some of the Walking Street bars opened yesterday with music blazing and crowds of people partying, but still no official word on what's happening with all the rest of Pattaya's bars. (see video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v81p3cfiDWE

A high level meeting was also held yesterday which included the cities Mayor and new Police Chief but it sounds like no final decision was made. It's still up to the CCSA. I wonder why a representative of the CCSA wasn't at this meeting? (story below)

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/business-and-government-leaders-meet-to-reopen-pattaya-bars

This has all the ear-marks of a high-level power struggle.

goji
December 16th, 2021, 15:57

Or start rumours so more bars open, then send the BIB around to collect the money ?

I get the impression the prohibition rules exist merely so tea money can be collected and have absolutely nothing to do with COVID 19. Why else would they allow some bars to be packed full of customers, whilst closing others ?

Gaybutton
December 16th, 2021, 16:42

Seems likely to me, with the bars and customers caught in the middle.

I wish they would just stop this nonsense, let the bars open according to safety rules, forget about this SHA certification which I believe isn't helping anything, let customers go to the bars without having to worry about getting caught up in a raid, and let life start getting back to normal and bar workers making a living again.

If we all have to learn to live with Covid, then let us live with it.

Dodger
December 16th, 2021, 17:35

Why else would they allow some bars to be packed full of customers, whilst closing others ?

It all depends on who the owners are. Half of Walking Street is owned by people of influence. Use your imagination.

goji
December 16th, 2021, 18:36
Walking Street has been one place that's almost entirely shut down day and night.

Last week, I saw just one bar open, in one of those alleys leading onto walking street.
The busiest area seems to be Soi Bukhao and the streets off it. Also there are quite a few bars open north of Central (near the police station), near the post office and a couple near to Boyztown

DoubleDutch
December 16th, 2021, 20:33
Most small bars on Beach Rd are open tonight, they were closed 2 nights ago.

Pattaya fireworks tonight on the beach, across Central Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YYyWFy2aU

goji
December 16th, 2021, 21:00
Sunnee had 2 "host" bars open, but being diplomatic, these were rather quiet, with one member of staff manning each.
I had one beer, 80 Baht, plus a tip. One other customer arrived.
The bar across the road on the corner was open, with no customers.
Outdoor service was available at a gogo bar, which was probably the best option.

Boyztown was completely closed, although some staff were drinking outside BBB.

colmx
December 17th, 2021, 05:04
Walking Street has been one place that's almost entirely shut down day and night.n

Stone house on Walking Street announced on their FB that they will open on December 18. So perhaps that's the day that WS will reawaken?

For those that don't know Stone House it's the first live music venue on the left as you enter walking street, highly recommended if you are into loud music and a fun atmosphere, used to get quite a few gay boys after the bars closed or with their farang du jour pre-covid.

If you are the type that misses listening to "puff the magic dragon" in New Moonlight house then it's definitely not the place for you!

Dodger
December 17th, 2021, 11:27
Stone house on Walking Street announced on their FB that they will open on December 18. So perhaps that's the day that WS will reawaken?

Stone House rocks. It was the only place on WS that I really cared to visit - when I was in the mood for loud music.

Here's more on the emerging scene:

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-walking-street-is-back-in-business-383057

Dodger
December 17th, 2021, 18:18
With most of the bars in Jomtien Complex now reopened (again), as well as a few in Boyztown, Sunee Plaza, and Walking Street, the fuse is lit.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Manforallseasons
December 17th, 2021, 21:23
….

arsenal
December 18th, 2021, 05:03
If and when the new variant arrives and stops everybody's sexual fun can we rename it omnicondom?

Dodger
December 18th, 2021, 08:38
HOT OFF THE PRESS.

I just received word from a reliable source that Nice Boys Gogo reopened last night - with a half-dozen boys inside - shirtless - sitting on the stage.

Doesn't the fat lady who's been singing the Sunee Swan Song for the past 10 years know when to shut up?

ROCK-ON SUNEE!!!

arsenal
December 18th, 2021, 09:31
"Doesn't the fat lady who's been singing the Sunee Swan Song for the past 10 years know when to shut up?"
I understand the fat lady works as MFAS housekeeper and sings Time to Say Goodbye every morning.

Just kidding.

Dodger
December 18th, 2021, 10:14
"Doesn't the fat lady who's been singing the Sunee Swan Song for the past 10 years know when to shut up?"
I understand the fat lady works as MFAS housekeeper and sings Time to Say Goodbye every morning.

Just kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVfbylUU-M

Oliver2
December 18th, 2021, 14:03
How dare you mock the greatest composer who ever lived, Richard Wagner, and the finest opera ever composed, Gotterdammerung?

Manforallseasons
December 18th, 2021, 14:08
HOT OFF THE PRESS.

I just received word from a reliable source that Nice Boys Gogo reopened last night - with a half-dozen boys inside - shirtless - sitting on the stage.

Doesn't the fat lady who's been singing the Sunee Swan Song for the past 10 years know when to shut up?

ROCK-ON SUNEE!!!

Dodger, I hope you go there with or without the seamstress and report back soon, without doubt you are a ‘reliable source “. You sing the praises of “rock on” but do you actually go in the evenings to any of these places where “rock on” happens as you have appointed yourself the head of the Pattaya gay venue chamber of commerce?

goji
December 18th, 2021, 14:24
You sing the praises of “rock on” but do you actually go in the evenings to any of these places where “rock on” happenes?
How about you MFAS ?

Some of us tourists have managed a drink (or more) in Jomtien, Sunee and Boyztown. I've not yet seen a Gogo bar open for indoor service yet, but the last evening visit to Sunee was 2 nights ago.

I note that at least 3 of the bars at the bottom of Jomtien have SHA certification. In one case, I heard the police came by a couple of days ago, checked the SHA certification, checked the restaurant license and were satisfied.

Manforallseasons
December 18th, 2021, 14:37
How about you MFAS ?

Some of us tourists have managed a drink (or more) in Jomtien, Sunee and Boyztown. I've not yet seen a Gogo bar open for indoor service yet, but the last evening visit to Sunee was 2 nights ago.

Frankly, without a good reason as I am not a tourist I have all the time in the world to come and go when and where I chose however, I have an excellent idea of what to expect in the complex and Nice Boys, neither which at this point have reason enough to go…..The complex has always been on my no go list, if I want to see geriatrics and fem gay boys the streets around Tukcom have no shortage but Nice Boys if things remain somewhat lax could after a month or so depending on the owner’s ability to get some fresh meat be of great interest though, sadly getting new boys has never been their strong point.

Dodger
December 18th, 2021, 18:02
Dodger, I hope you go there ......

Well thank you...I hope I go there too.

DoubleDutch
December 18th, 2021, 19:44
Nice Boys open, with 4 guys at the moment.

Sunee Plaza, 3 spots open, Winner among them with few Thai guys and several expats sitting outside with drinks. Eros closed.

https://i.imgur.com/evALS4A.jpg

DoubleDutch
December 18th, 2021, 20:56
Boyztown open, Oscars, Panorama, Serena, Boyz Boys, basically all except smaller go go bars, everything back to life, every place customers on patio.

https://i.imgur.com/t69eePG.jpg

thaiophilus
December 18th, 2021, 21:35
Nice Boys open, with 4 guys at the moment.

Eros closed.

https://i.imgur.com/evALS4A.jpg

I believe Eros had already closed back in 2019.

goji
December 18th, 2021, 23:32
On Saturday Nice Boys had 3 ? boys in Jeans when I went past. I had other matters to attend to, so could not stop.
Unlike previous nights, there was no outdoor service at Winner. Leaving The One and the place across the road open.

Jomtien was doing better, although there were plenty of available seats.

Manforallseasons
December 22nd, 2021, 10:07
With most of the bars in Jomtien Complex now reopened (again), as well as a few in Boyztown, Sunee Plaza, and Walking Street, the fuse is lit.

….

goji
December 22nd, 2021, 11:06
I believe Eros had already closed back in 2019.

Agreed. Sunee was already down to just 2 gogo bars before COVID, which were Winner and Nice Boys. Power Boys had also closed. Out of the two remaining Gogo bars, one has reopened recently and the other is waiting until they are permitted to reopen, having had some outdoor bar service on certain dates.

Sunee needs something to draw the customers in, as it's sometimes had just a couple of bars open, with typically 1~2 customers and a lack of cute hosts to draw them in.
Without Sunee gogo bars, going to Jomtien Complex makes much more sense.

Dodger
December 22nd, 2021, 11:33
I heard from a reliable source that the bars that were open in Sunee Plaza last night included the following:

Nice Boys, Winner Boys, Mama Lek's, Euro Boys, Green Chair Bar, and Diamond Bar - with a scattering of boys and customers around.

goji
December 22nd, 2021, 12:44
I heard from a reliable source that the bars that were open in Sunee Plaza last night included the following:

Nice Boys, Winner Boys, Mama Lek's, Euro Boys, Green Chair Bar, and Diamond Bar - with a scattering of boys and customers around.

Whick is Mama Lek's ? Would that be the lady bar opposite Eros ? Whatever that's called, I exclude it from my count.

I've seen all the others on your list, plus "The One" open at some time or other. Just not all open at once, so sometimes very quiet. Also the Winner service was outdoor, so as you can imagine, rather different to normal.

Manforallseasons
December 22nd, 2021, 13:48
One Bar is Lek’s bar.

goji
December 22nd, 2021, 22:22
Well, on Wednesday, the bars open in Sunee were Nice Boys, One and what I presume you call the Green Chair bar. Winner was padlocked shut.

For the first time in a few years, Nice Boys actually had one nice boy amongst the collection, or at least he looked cute. However, he spent the entire time engrossed in a game on his phone. Experience tells me not to disturb them from matters of such great importance. Both a colleague and I noted that the staff didn't seem that interested and they all eventually migrated to drink together, which I think was their main objective for the evening.
Beer 200 Baht. Jeans worn. Commendably low music volume.

Boyztown was quite busy, with probably over 100 people in the soi and the bars making the effort to put on a show in the street. Presumably Jomtien bar closures helped customer numbers. Sat outside Boyz Boyz Boyz. Beer 90 Baht, so good value and well done to them for trying to restart trade.

Dodger
January 4th, 2022, 13:00
Regardless of the recent setbacks, e.g., Test & Go suspended, periodic bar closures, antigen test mandates for restaurants, etc., Pattaya is still showing more signs of life now than it has in nearly 2 years. Things are moving again!

Today was my first visit to PTY since before the holidays and it was great to see the obvious elevation in the city's tempo in general. The beaches have gone from being practically deserted - to bustling scenes, where tourists and residents are filling the beach concessions, visiting the local shops and dining in the restaurants. Note, I didn't see any signs of rapid antigen testing going on during my travels, and have to assume that some of the restaurants have side-stepped this mandate...at least at this juncture.

The only down-side for me personally was the noticeable increase in traffic, but in all honestly, I'll learn to live with it as long as life can return to normal over here. One blessing is that the monster tour buses loaded with Chinese won't be polluting the environment in the foreseeable future. And just to be clear on this, I have nothing against the Chinese at all - it's the monster buses that have to go.

With more tourists...more business reopening's...and more boys starting to appear in-and-around the scenes, I think it's fair to say that we can finally see a light at the end of this very looooooong dark tunnel.

The best part of my recon mission today was being able to enjoy a few taco's at Taco Bell on Beach Road - which now opens at 8:00 AM versus 10:00 AM. There is a God!

arsenal
January 4th, 2022, 13:24
"And just to be clear on this, I have nothing against the Chinese at all - it's the monster buses that have to go."

How naively sweet. Hahaha. Just joking Dodger. Let me tell you...All the Chinese on their tour busses is preferable to them running around unsupervised. I always smiled when ever I read complaints about Thai drivers and think 'you should have twenty minutes driving in China.' You wouldn't last that long, you'd have a crash of some sort and perhaps kill granny and her 7 year old grandson. Not because of anything you've done but she just rode out in front of your car without looking. Imagine that let loose in beautiful Bang Saray. Leave them on the busses.

christianpfc
January 5th, 2022, 20:44
...The beaches have gone from being practically deserted - to bustling scenes, where tourists and residents are filling the beach concessions, visiting the local shops and dining in the restaurants.

The only down-side for me personally was the noticeable increase in traffic,...

One blessing is that the monster tour buses loaded with Chinese won't be polluting the environment in the foreseeable future. And just to be clear on this, I have nothing against the Chinese at all - it's the monster buses that have to go.

I can't compare to the last two years (I was out of Thailand) but being in Pattaya now, I would describe it the following way: a few lost souls on the beaches, restaurants at 20% occupancy during meal times, very light traffic (a blessing for a pedestrian like me: look left, look right, cross; no waiting for minutes for a gap in traffic or at traffic lights). The one thing that is plentyful is boys, old acquaintances and new recruits from online.

Buses are the most economical (saving energy and space) way to move people around on roads. They are unsightly and block the view (compensated by a nice view when you are in the bus and have a window seat), but how else would you move these numbers of tourist around?

StevieWonders
January 6th, 2022, 05:18
You have to admire Dodgems' boosterism. A reality check is administered by a story in today's Bangkok Post: "The average hotel occupancy rate for Pattaya in January will not exceed 30% because of weak tourism sentiment"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2242951/high-season-ends-early

Dodger
January 6th, 2022, 12:03
......Buses are the most economical (saving energy and space) way to move people around on roads. They are unsightly and block the view (compensated by a nice view when you are in the bus and have a window seat), but how else would you move these numbers of tourist around?

Answer: You move these numbers of tourists around in buses that are well-maintained - that don't pollute the environment by leaving huge plumes of black smoke in their paths. That's exactly how it's supposed to be done.

goji
January 7th, 2022, 17:15
The following sign is on all the shuttered bars in Boyztown, including BBB, Panorama etc
Only Serene was an exception looking as though it is open

Dodger
January 8th, 2022, 15:37
According to CCSA's last meeting announcement - eating and drinking in Blue Zones is OK - but no dancing or fucking.

https://pattayaone.news/booze-can-be-served-in-blue-provinces-from-jan-16-but-no-dancing/

goji
January 8th, 2022, 16:12
no dancing

So if bars can open, but with "no dancing", surely most Gogo bars would be compliant if operating as they normally do?

Moses
January 8th, 2022, 16:22
So if bars can open, but with "no dancing", surely most Gogo bars would be compliant if operating as they normally do?

Dancing on the stage isn't dancing - it is performance.

Oliver2
January 9th, 2022, 14:42
Ah, but we oldies remember certain bars- usually the smaller ones- where the guys actually danced, energetically, photogenically and erotically. Joys denied to our younger contributors.

Manforallseasons
January 12th, 2022, 10:55
https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/for-the-moment-pattaya-nightlife-back-on-life-support-385853

Dodger
January 12th, 2022, 13:10
https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/for-the-moment-pattaya-nightlife-back-on-life-support-385853

All the bars have to do is open 4 hours earlier than normal until this restriction is lifted

Most of the punters right now are +60 years old and would probably prefer the earlier hours anyway.

Any port in a storm as they say.

Oliver2
January 12th, 2022, 13:56
A good idea. My early years in Pattaya, in which I was as free as a...well, a butterfly... were characterised by a four or five hour hiatus between the time spent on Jomtien Beach and my bar explorations. I'd noticed that the girlie bars were in full swing hours before our bars opened their doors and never understood why I should be denied sanuk at 1800 or 1900.

francois
January 12th, 2022, 23:09
All the bars have to do is open 4 hours earlier than normal until this restriction is lifted

Most of the punters right now are +60 years old and would probably prefer the earlier hours anyway.

Any port in a storm as they say.

There are only a few that I know that prefer early hours; not I.

Manforallseasons
January 12th, 2022, 23:54

Actually, there was a GoGo Top Man in Sunee that for a short time was run by 2 farangs that took over from the long time previous owner that tried it as an afternoon GoGo it didn’t last long.

poshglasgow
January 13th, 2022, 05:25
"And just to be clear on this, I have nothing against the Chinese at all - it's the monster buses that have to go."

How naively sweet. Hahaha. Just joking Dodger. Let me tell you...All the Chinese on their tour busses is preferable to them running around unsupervised. I always smiled when ever I read complaints about Thai drivers and think 'you should have twenty minutes driving in China.' You wouldn't last that long, you'd have a crash of some sort and perhaps kill granny and her 7 year old grandson. Not because of anything you've done but she just rode out in front of your car without looking. Imagine that let loose in beautiful Bang Saray. Leave them on the busses.

Ah, but the grandson will be spared the impact, the Jesuits having had a hand in his good fortune. "Give me the boy before he is seven and I'll show you the man..."
'Virgo intacta, Father?'
'No comment, my son, now go and wash your dirty mouth out and when you've done that, report to my colleague, Father Up! He'll be taking over confessions from the altar boys' least favourite colleague, Father Benny-dicked-us! '

I cannot hear God laughing, is this something to fear?

Dodger
January 13th, 2022, 09:56

Unfortunately, doing what we prefer is not an option right now. That being the case, you just take the best option available and roll with it.

Manforallseasons
January 13th, 2022, 13:11
Unfortunately, doing what we prefer is not an option right now. That being the case, you just take the best option available and roll with it.

Doing what you want is always an option, as Nancy Regan said “Just says no”.

Gaybutton
January 14th, 2022, 09:54
Unfortunately, doing what we prefer is not an option right now.

As far as I can remember, none of the gay go-go bars ever opened in the afternoon hours. I don't know if that was because regulations did not permit it or if it simply was never tried.

As for no go-go bars in Jomtien Complex, I've never really known for sure as to why. Supposedly there is some kind of ordinance forbidding it, but I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has. I assume the ordinance does exist or likely there would be go-go bars there. If that ordinance does exist, I'd like to know who issued it, by what authority, whether there is an expiration date, and most important - why. What would the bad part be about allowing go-go bars in Jomtien Complex?

a447
January 14th, 2022, 14:31
As far as I can remember, none of the gay go-go bars ever opened in the afternoon hours.

Bamboo Bar down by Jomtien beach used to be open but the guys there didn't really interest me.

There's always tons to do in Bangkok during the day - a visit to Golden Cock followed by a long sex sex session back in the room, a long lunch, a trip up the river, shopping at Siam Paragon, or just wandering around.

Pattaya is a different story. Until I found a regular friend, I'd go for a massage and then have nothing to do until the evening.

The way things are at the moment - and possibly into the future - it will be a while before bars attempt to open during the day.

StevieWonders
January 14th, 2022, 14:36
I’ve just heard of someone who may be very excited about the prospect of ready to rock in Pattaya - he might even consider residing permanently (although not as a Permanent Resident)

Dodger
January 14th, 2022, 17:18
Bamboo Bar down by Jomtien beach used to be open but the guys there didn't really interest me.

I parked my motorbike right in front of Bamboo Bar on Tuesday and saw more customers (and boys) seated inside then I've seen in years.

The boys there were never my type either, but this is what gave me the idea about more bars opening earlier in the day time during these 9:00 PM closures.

Manforallseasons
January 15th, 2022, 06:50
Police raid make believe restaurants:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/first-came-pattayas-easy-restaurant-licenses-now-comes-police-raids-386286

gerefan2
January 15th, 2022, 14:29
Police raid make believe restaurants:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/first-came-pattayas-easy-restaurant-licenses-now-comes-police-raids-386286

Meanwhile legal bars close at 9 pm, standing room only and crammed to the rafters with customers wanting a last drink before closing.

Customers “protected” by some idiotic unenforceable test and signing in procedure.

Just take a look down Soi Buckau any evening.

When will this madness end?

TIT

goji
January 15th, 2022, 15:23
When will this madness end?

Hopefully the Junta will observe the success of more liberal policies elsewhere in the world and eventually follow them, or be pressured into following

Meanwhile, are we to presume that venues "packed to the rafters" are the places most likely to remain open, as they can afford the tea money?

gerefan2
January 15th, 2022, 23:44
From what I have seen recently the ones that stay open are off the beaten track.

Dodger
January 16th, 2022, 12:12
They're holding the annual International Jet Ski Competition at Jomtien Beach today.

Sure glad it's the bars and restaurants that are causing the spike in Omicron cases - and not huge spectator sports like this.