PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Pattaya restaurants can sell alcohol - but bars, not yet

Gaybutton
December 4th, 2021, 12:09
The absurd 2pm-5pm ban on alcohol sales is still in place and apparently it also applies to restaurants, but for now I doubt any restaurant owners are complaining.

I think what most of us hope is if all goes well and if the Omicron variant doesn't cause problems in Thailand, maybe they will allow the bars to reopen in mid-January after all.

December 4, 2021

Chonburi the Blue Zone:

Chonburi, Thailand

The Chonburi Governor has released new orders through their Public Relations Facebook page this evening allowing (November 3rd) alcohol sales and drinks which are now allowed in the Chonburi ‘Blue Zone’ areas including Pattaya and Banglamung.

Chonburi ‘Blue Zones’ are Banglamung, Pattaya including Koh Larn, Si Racha, Koh Sichang, and for Sattahip only in Najomtien and the Bang Saray sub-district.

Only restaurants in the blue zone and with SHA certificates are allowed alcohol sales and drinks inside. Alcohol sales are allowed from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. and from 5:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. These restaurants must clearly show their certificates.

Nightclubs, pubs, bars, karaoke, soapies remain closed.

The order is effective NOW until further notice.

The order had been in place previously for almost eight months but rising pressure from many business owners and sectors helped lift the unpopular ban.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/12/03/pattaya-and-other-chonburi-blue-zones-officially-allowed-to-sell-alcohol-in-restaurants
__________________________________________________ _________________

Booze in Pattaya is still only semi-legal say police

By Barry Kenyon

December 4, 2021

Thailand’s favorite seaside resort has given a sigh of relief after the ban on alcohol was lifted for diners. Effective late December 3. The Chonburi governor’s office has decreed the liberalization in restaurants and cafes provided they display prominently the Safety and Health Administration Plus sticker. And you don’t need to prove you are eating a meal as you enjoy a beer. A restaurant is also a bar.

The certification is only awarded to businesses – which can be souvenir shops or transport companies as well as hotels and eateries – which demonstrate they are keeping strictly to the policies of the Ministry of Health, are observing social distancing and have fully-vaccinated staff. That should include ongoing self-antigen health testing, but that detail appears to have disappeared from recent official statements.

Meanwhile, local police are reminding the public at large that the new policy has restrictions. Booze can be served only from 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to 11 pm. These time restraints reflect a 1970s military junta proclamation which sought to ban afternoon intoxication and ensured you were safely in bed before midnight. The same rule was revived after the 2014 coup and still applies in supermarkets and convenience stores selling beer, spirits and wines.

Nobody seems sure how many Pattaya businesses are already approved by SHA. City Hall said that all hotels registered with Thailand Pass carried the quality assurance certification, together with some other hotels and high-class restaurants. An optimistic total might be in the region of 500 local businesses. Although a flurry of applications is now expected via the SHA website, many small operators such as street vendors or small cafes simply cannot afford the registration fees or pass the stringent health requirements.

The pre-Christmas announcement by the Chonburi Communicable Disease Committee was expected. The ban on the sale of alcohol in restaurants had become a farce by the end of November with many owners even allowing wine glasses and beer bottles on tables rather than faking with teapots and cups. Police checks were reserved for occasional raids on midnight parties in supposedly-padlocked clubs and private premises.

Granted for two years, SHA certification can be withdrawn at any time if health inspectors discover any backsliding. For example, a vaccinated employee might be replaced by an ant-vaxxer or a cockroach might be found in the beef stew. In practice, cancellation of certificates is a rare phenomenon. Maintaining standards over time isn’t one of Thailand’s strongest points.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/booze-in-pattaya-is-still-only-semi-legal-say-police-381588

Manforallseasons
December 4th, 2021, 13:45
At my lunchtime restaurant I was told they will go Monday to Siracha to get a SHA certificate and then they must post the certificate in an obvious place, I hope bars and GoGo bars are licensed differently and don’t ruin it for legitimate eateries.

Gaybutton
December 4th, 2021, 15:36
I hope bars and GoGo bars are licensed differently and don’t ruin it for legitimate eateries.

I read somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where) that some of the Bangkok venues that managed to open somehow arranged for "temporary status" as a restaurant. I was wondering how they were doing it. It doesn't exactly come across to me as on the up-and-up, but so far, whatever is going on, it's working.

I doubt the bars can get away with anything similar, or even if they are going to try. Who knows - maybe if they serve a cookie along with your drink, now they are a restaurant . . .

Dodger
December 6th, 2021, 12:47
I doubt the bars can get away with anything similar, or even if they are going to try. Who knows - maybe if they serve a cookie along with your drink, now they are a restaurant . . .

I know it seems crazy, but some of the bars have been doing this for the past few days and appear to be getting away with it.

The bars that I've seen doing this in Jomtien and Bang Saray aren't even putting up permanent signs. Instead, they just scribble the word "Hamburgers" on a small chalk board and call it a day.

Up until this last Saturday, we only had one beach bar in Bang Saray that served hamburgers, and it's actually named "Burger Bar" - and now there are two other beach bars within a hundred yards of each other who started serving "Burgers". All they need is a small 2 burner electric stove (the type you see at Big C for 500 baht) and a spatula, and they're in business.

How long this will last...who knows? But at least it's a start.

Gaybutton
December 6th, 2021, 13:17
All they need is a small 2 burner electric stove (the type you see at Big C for 500 baht) and a spatula, and they're in business.

I wonder what they're using for meat. Why am I thinking about Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd . . . ?

For some strange reason, I doubt any of their hamburgers can compare to the ones Thomas used to serve at Corner Bar. Oh well, gone are the days.

I'm glad they are coming up with "interesting" ways to open. I don't blame them after having had no income all this time. I hope it works and none of them will get into trouble. Don't forget, to at least be legal they not only need to serve food, but they also need the SHA approval certificate. Do any of them have it?

One piece of news has me very annoyed. 4 bar owners and managers were arrested for opening their bars in Bang Saen, about 45km north of Pattaya and within the Chonburi province. Apparently they thought all of Chonburi was allowed to reopen. Bang Saen is not yet among the areas permitted to reopen the bars. I think it would have been far more appropriate for the police to make them close and warn them that their area is not yet permitted to open. Then, if caught a second time after having been warned, that's when to arrest them.

Dodger
December 6th, 2021, 14:14
Don't forget, to at least be legal they not only need to serve food, but they also need the SHA approval certificate. Do any of them have it?

I've only seen one SHA certificate displayed at a bar in Jomtien Complex...zero at the other bars...and zero in Bang Saray as well. Rumor has it that the BIB are being lenient with the bar owners and giving them some time to obtain SHA, as long as they're operating within the designated Blue Zones.

A new Pattaya Police Chief was recently appointed which may, or may not, have influence on how this whole thing is rolling out. (see story below)

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/12/04/pattaya-welcomes-new-top-cop/