PDA

View Full Version : Change to inbound testing foreshadowed

StevieWonders
November 26th, 2021, 06:33
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2221675/antigen-tests-plan-for-visitors

This brings Thailand into line with Cambodia except for the slightly ominous "follow up tests"

Brad the Impala
November 26th, 2021, 13:07
That's good news for visitors and, depending on the process decided upon, as results from antigen tests are almost immediate should mean the end to the requirement to wait in hotels for the results.

Oliver2
November 26th, 2021, 13:38
A huge step forward for prospective travellers. The arrival in BKK has for years been an exciting moment; I love exiting the terminal to get a taxi, feeling the heat and smelling the Bangkok fumes....it means exciting times are ahead.
The present arrangements replace those positive feelings with anxiety and the prospect of imprisonment. And the loss of a precious night and a precious day of enjoyment.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

pong
November 26th, 2021, 18:11
Its true!
Just read-as its my usual order to do, that as per 16/12 (but NOT misquoted 1/12) the arrival test will be replaced by a fast-test and the obligatory Hotelbooking will be scrapped. BUT this is TIT and all kinds of contradictory and confusing rules are also there: you will still have to book Transportation to a chosen hotel-where this test will take place. The general forum advises to hence choose the next to airport NOvotel hotel, which to me seems a wise advice.
Buit again-TIT, so just wait and see what other twists and turnarounds will appear till that day.
There was also some note about possible re-opening of boozing places as per 1./12-or maybe again 16./12.

Blueskytoday
November 26th, 2021, 19:55
That's good news for visitors and, depending on the process decided upon, as results from antigen tests are almost immediate should mean the end to the requirement to wait in hotels for the results.

So they would give all arriving passengers the antigen test at the airport, wait 30 min for results,,,then on your way OR I guess, still need transportation to the hotel, and half to pay for the first night anyway.....what about the transportation from the airport?? Take any taxi or have to book that also with the hotel...far too many IF"s....

vnman
November 28th, 2021, 21:40
Just an FYI for outbound:

I did an Antigen test in a hospital in Bangkok and paid 1100 baht. A guy I met on the plane told me he did it at the airport for only 500 baht. If I would have known, it would have saved me half a day.

gerefan2
November 28th, 2021, 22:08
December 16 is 13 working days from today. 1 December is even less.

What on Earth are they thinking of trying to introduce a brand new arrival system at the peak of the “high season!,” with so few days left?

I can see there being another fiasco, as there was with the introduction of the Thai Pass. It won’t be simpler, easier or quicker. Nothing in Thailand ever is.

Thailand... Leave things alone until after the “high season” , or what little is left of it that you you haven’t already destroyed.

Manforallseasons
November 28th, 2021, 22:10
Its true!
Just read-as its my usual order to do, that as per 16/12 (but NOT misquoted 1/12) the arrival test will be replaced by a fast-test and the obligatory Hotelbooking will be scrapped. BUT this is TIT and all kinds of contradictory and confusing rules are also there: you will still have to book Transportation to a chosen hotel-where this test will take place. The general forum advises to hence choose the next to airport NOvotel hotel, which to me seems a wise advice.
Buit again-TIT, so just wait and see what other twists and turnarounds will appear till that day.
There was also some note about possible re-opening of boozing places as per 1./12-or maybe again 16./12.

Until this is posted in the Royal Gazette it is speculation, I hope it is true however, I wouldn’t be surprised if the new South African variant freaks the government out and this is put on hold.

goji
November 28th, 2021, 22:20
Lateral flow tests at the airport are probably fine when everyone has delta, including in Thailand.

However, surely they now want to sequence a high proportion due to omicron ?

Moses
November 28th, 2021, 23:15
Lateral flow tests at the airport are probably fine when everyone has delta, including in Thailand.

However, surely they now want to sequence a high proportion due to omicron ?

At first steps situation with omicron looks like the best what can be with humans now. As per doctor from South Africa omicron looks like easy flu with "extremely mild symptoms". If it will substitute Delta, then life will be very easy. Few days of be tired + headache.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-59450988

gerefan2
November 28th, 2021, 23:22
First it was the UK variant and some people panicked.
Second it was the Delta variant and more people panicked.
Now it is the Omigod variant and the whole world is panicking.

Manforallseasons
November 29th, 2021, 00:30
At first steps situation with omicron looks like the best what can be with humans now. As per doctor from South Africa omicron looks like easy flu with "extremely mild symptoms". If it will substitute Delta, then life will be very easy. Few days of be tired + headache.

It will take a couple of weeks to see how the new variant will respond to antibodies from previously infected people and what effect vaccines will have in the variant.

Dodger
November 29th, 2021, 07:16
I don't know who's ejaculating more over this new variant - the news media, or the pharmaceutical industry. But in any event, it's definitely not something worth panicking about...at least I'm not.

The world is in a lot better position to combat these virus's than it was 19 months ago - with vaccine manufacturers and global supply-chains fully developed...increased testing and treatment capacities...and a good percentage of people already fully vaccinated.

They don't know how effective the vaccines we have now are against this new variant, but all indications are, at least from comments coming from some of the leading scientists and epidemiologists, we're probably on pretty safe ground.

Looking at the covid death rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated people, it's clear (at least to me) that unless you're in a "very high risk" category, you really don't have too much to worry about.

Example - England:

England reported 51,000 deaths due to covid between the months of January and July 2021. Of those, there were only 256 people who died (0.5%) who had been fully vaccinated, and the majority of those were ranked in the "Very High Risk" category. In-other-words - 99.5% of all reported deaths were people who were not fully vaccinated.

Unless you're in a very high risk category, or an anti-vaxer, the worst thing that's going to happen is you may get sick for a week or so if you contact the virus. Who in the hell is going to lose any sleep over that - let alone start panicking and changing vacation plans?

Gaybutton
November 29th, 2021, 14:52
you really don't have too much to worry about.

While that may be correct, that is not the problem. The problem is how the Thai powers-that-be will respond. So far, when they do respond it is often knee-jerk reactions that have not been thought through and include more difficulties for international tourists, more delays in permitting the bars to open, more imposed restrictions, etc. We've been through quarantines, lockdowns, curfews, sandbox schemes, restrictions, and closings.

I hope this new variant won't inspire more of the same.

Dodger
November 29th, 2021, 17:00
The problem is how the Thai powers-that-be will respond. So far, when they do respond it is often knee-jerk reactions that have not been thought through and include more difficulties for international tourists, more delays in permitting the bars to open, more imposed restrictions, etc. We've been through quarantines, lockdowns, curfews, sandbox schemes, restrictions, and closings.

Totally agree.

I can hear their knees-jerking as we speak.

goji
November 29th, 2021, 19:46

I'd be wary of quotes from doctors based on small sample sizes. Most people also get mild symptoms with delta and some only know they have it after failing tests.