PDA

View Full Version : Is F*** Pattaya Official Policy ?

goji
November 23rd, 2021, 00:59
Picture 1 shows 7 days worth of covid infections by province (source: Thaiger).

I calculated a total and checked the population of Bangkok and Chonburi provinces on Wikipedia. This allows a 7-day infection rate to be calculated. See table.

It's worse in Bangkok. Yet, the bars in Bangkok are open already whilst Pattaya has to wait TWO whole months.

It seems some provinces are treated more harshly than others ? From what I recall, it was similar back in early 2021.

Dodger
November 23rd, 2021, 08:37
Picture 1 shows 7 days worth of covid infections by province (source: Thaiger).

I calculated a total and checked the population of Bangkok and Chonburi provinces on Wikipedia. This allows a 7-day infection rate to be calculated. See table.

It's worse in Bangkok. Yet, the bars in Bangkok are open already whilst Pattaya has to wait TWO whole months.

It seems some provinces are treated more harshly than others ? From what I recall, it was similar back in early 2021.

goji,

Scrutinizing data which is as skewed as what you find reported in Thailand is really a fruitless exercise. Not enough accurate data...too much uncontrollable variation...and, in some cases, intentionally flawed data. You'll just end up with "analysis paralysis".

Analyzing data in Thailand for the purpose of making predictions about the future has never worked for anyone. You'd be better off talking to a monk.

cdnmatt
November 23rd, 2021, 09:54
goji,

Scrutinizing data which is as skewed as what you find reported in Thailand is really a fruitless exercise. Not enough accurate data...too much uncontrollable variation...and, in some cases, intentionally flawed data. You'll just end up with "analysis paralysis".

Analyzing data in Thailand for the purpose of making predictions about the future has never worked for anyone. You'd be better off talking to a monk.

For someone who can't stop himself from trashing Thailand at every chance he can, you sure seem to love living there.

Dodger
November 23rd, 2021, 11:22
For someone who can't stop himself from trashing Thailand at every chance he can, you sure seem to love living there.

Yeh, you're right. I wonder why this is.

Maybe it has something to do with the half-naked Thai boy who just walked in the bedroom with a cup of freshly brewed Belgium coffee...or the early-morning sounds of the macaws and canaries singing outside the balcony...or waves crashing on the shoreline...or aroma of freshly chopped coriander and green onions coming the kitchen...or the plans we have to go splish-splashing in the ocean a bit later, so he can fill his little plastic bucket with clams and snails....and I can submerse myself in the harmony and timelessness of the moment.

Maybe...just maybe this has something to do with it.

StevieWonders
November 23rd, 2021, 11:59
I’m assuming Amazing Dodgems will providing similar hospitality for his daughter

Moses
November 23rd, 2021, 12:57
========I calculated a total and checked the population of Bangkok and Chonburi provinces on Wikipedia. This allows a 7-day infection rate to be calculated. See table.

You forgot to take in account deaths per 100K and vacant beds in hospitals per 100K, also probability of street disorders. I think last one is most important.

Manforallseasons
November 23rd, 2021, 14:39

Everyone looks at the world as they see fit. Dodger most always had a need for companionship so if he refers to his 30 year old b/f as a boy it is his prerogative as well as the way he views anything else.

Dodger
November 23rd, 2021, 15:38
......so if he refers to his 30 year old b/f as a boy it is his prerogative as well as the way he views anything else.

Thank you for offering that clarification.

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I've been partnered for the last 8 years with an adolescent.

goji
November 23rd, 2021, 15:58
it is his prerogative as well as the way he views anything else.

It his his prerogative to view most things in a positive light. Certain other members ought to try it, even if just occasionally to begin with.

Analyzing data in Thailand for the purpose of making predictions about the future has never worked for anyone.
At no point have I used the data to make predictions.
However, isn't it rather odd that the Junta already think they know enough to keep Pattaya locked up for 2 months into the future, whilst the 7 day covid infection rate in Chonburi is already below that of Bangkok ?

Oliver2
November 23rd, 2021, 16:09
Anti-Pattaya prejudice. The gleaming new malls and the (allegedly) re-formed beaches are not enough to hide the fact that the sex-industry and Pattaya continue to be bed-mates. And military juntas through history have always been distinctly puritanical, even when their members maintain a mia noi. Or two.

gerefan2
November 23rd, 2021, 21:03
, also probability of street disorders. I think last one is most important.

A very valid point.

Maybe (actually very unlikely) they have looked at the demonstrations around Europe. The police actually opened fire on protesters in Rotterdam the other day seriously injuring three. Just imagine if they had been killed.

Enough is enough. We have to just get on with it.

It’s not the “Spanish” Flu or Bubonic Plague ffs.

goji
November 23rd, 2021, 23:30

Agreed. Covid is now well down the list of causes of death in many countries.
Pneumonia or flu appear on death certificates more in the UK than covid & we abolished pretty much all restrictions 4 months ago.

With 89 million vaccine doses delivered, the Thai government should be doing the same.

StevieWonders
November 24th, 2021, 04:28

christianpfc
November 24th, 2021, 22:10

Exactly! During the Plague, the death were lying in the streets.
For Covid, you have to test to see if someone is infected!

Manforallseasons
November 25th, 2021, 00:31

Covid:

francois
November 25th, 2021, 02:42
Over 5,000,000 people have died from Covid so far, but since they are dead, they cannot tell their side of the story.
During the Black Death/Bubonic Plague and the Spanish Flu there were no vaccines to stop the
spread and the deaths; consider ourselves lucky to be alive.

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2021, 04:05
Over 5,000,000 people have died from Covid

That's the official number as reported by hospitals around the world. There's news interviews out there for example, of folks who own property along the Ganges river in India who for a while there morning chore was to pickup all the dead bodies that floated up to their property during the night.

Another I remember is a girl / young lady in Bangkok pleading on Youtube that she is unable to find a hospital bed for her mother who had Covid. Kept calling all the hospitals everyday, and they always told her don't come because there's no room. She was fortunate enough that a volunteer organization dropped off a bottle of oxygen to their house, but they could only give her one canister because oxygen was in such high demand at the time.

Plus tons and tons of other stories like that.

I think it's pretty safe to say Covid has claimed more than 5 million lives. Not that it really matters any, because if the weather keeps going the way it has been in the past couple years, we're all in for a rude awakening.

goji
November 25th, 2021, 04:24
With a vaccine, COVID makes hardly any difference to our odds of dying in the next year.

So get rid of all restrictions, so those who want to enjoy life may do so. Those who don't like it can still choose to hide at home, looking at pictures of body bags in trenches and finding other ways to be miserable.

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2021, 04:39
With a vaccine, COVID makes hardly any difference to our odds of dying in the next year.

So get rid of all restrictions, so those who want to enjoy life may do so. Those who don't like it can still choose to hide at home, looking at pictures of body bags in trenches and finding other ways to be miserable.

I'm with you on that one. It's at the point that if you're too stupid to get the jab because you think Bill Gates wants to microchip you or whatever the
bullshit conspiracy theory of the day is, then it's kind of on you. I'd go as far as to put in laws saying if you're unvaccinated and end up in the hospital with Covid, then the medical bills are on you. Apparently, it's costing over $100k per-patient in Canada to treat someone with Covid, and the vast majority aren't vaccinated. Idiots.

Nonetheless, we as a society unfortunately seem to have to cater to the weakest link.

StevieWonders
November 25th, 2021, 06:40
I'm with you on that one. It's at the point that if you're too stupid to get the jab because you think Bill Gates wants to microchip you or whatever the bullshit conspiracy theory of the day is, then it's kind of on you. However, Matt, goji's stupidity is that of the ideologue - that vaccination makes no difference. See this article for a rebuttal - https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2021, 07:12
However, Matt, goji's stupidity is that of the ideologue - that vaccination makes no difference. See this article for a rebuttal - https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

Well, I've come to the realization that you can't fix stupid, and instead just need to wait for Darwin's theory to work its magic, so not much I can do about that one.

The science is pretty black and white now, and we have data to backup everything as according to the New York Times at least 54.6% of us humans on this planet have had at least one jab now. We're not all flopping dead, so it's safe, and it's also very very well proven to be effective.

arsenal
November 25th, 2021, 13:02
"The majority of people in intensive care units are the unvaccinated,"
Robb Butler
WHO Europe.

DoubleDutch
November 25th, 2021, 14:02
Spanish Health Minister Carolina Darias: "unvaccinated elderly 25 times more at risk of dying from Covid-19"

The breakdown of coronavirus data by vaccination status also highlighted the vaccines’ effectiveness in preventing infection and serious cases of Covid-19. Between September 20 and November 14 of this year, the population aged 60 to 80 was eight times more at risk of contracting the virus, and 18 times more likely to be hospitalized if they were unvaccinated.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-11-24/in-spain-elderly-25-times-more-at-risk-of-dying-from-covid-19-if-unvaccinated.html

It seems that for vaccinated, living normal life, with precautions, makes sense. What is there to wait, zero infections? That day will never come.

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2021, 14:11
Exactly. I think the majority of us have moved onto the endemnic phase of this whole Covi thing.

dinagam
November 25th, 2021, 20:36
Whatever phase you want to call it the British or Canadian data are not to be swallowed hook, line and sinker.
The latest Japanese trend shows a rapidly decline in infectious cases a few weeks after the health authorities approved the use of ivermectin in the prophylaxis and treatment of the Covid-19 virus. They have also observed that genetic factors in the population are preventing specific components of the virus from destroying the host cells. At the other end of the world, although the citizens of Gibraltar are almost 100% vaccinated, infection is still taking place. Other statistics have shown that the wearing of masks can reduce infection by more than 50%. In the end whether you easily succumb to the infection is partly due to your genes and the concomitant presence of other diseases of body and mind.

a447
November 25th, 2021, 21:24
The latest Japanese trend shows a rapidly decline in infectious cases a few weeks after the health authorities approved the use of ivermectin in the prophylaxis and treatment of the Covid-19 virus. They have also observed that genetic factors in the population are preventing specific components of the virus from destroying the host cells.

That's very interesting, dinagam.

I watch the Japanese news almost every day but have never heard any of that.

I'm not saying it is wrong, but I just wonder where you got that information from. It's quite possible that I may have missed it on the news.

Moses
November 25th, 2021, 21:35
========They have also observed that genetic factors in the population are preventing specific components of the virus from destroying the host cells.

This is mistake in translation, mistake of understanding or both. Viruses what destroy cell doesn't exists at all. Cell is home and castle of virus, nobody destroys own home. About genetic factor is also speculation.

Real fact is: in Japanese subline of Delta stamm occurred mutation of chain of molecules what prevents virus's replication. So Japan got virus-impotent, that can't replicate itself.

Unfortunately this "miracle" will not help to Japan for long time: when population of mutated viruses will die, that place will be taken by next one mutation from another region, unless Japan will tightly close it borders as China did.

christianpfc
November 25th, 2021, 21:46
Over 5,000,000 people have died from Covid so far...
That is far less than other causes of death, and while tragic for the individual, not even a dimple in the curve of population on earth.

gerefan2
November 25th, 2021, 22:05
That is far less than other causes of death, and while tragic for the individual, not even a dimple in the curve of population on earth.

What about road traffic deaths? Globally 1.35 million per year, EVERY YEAR, since god knows when. That’s probably about 33 million people in the last 25 years.

We live with it, hardly mention it.

Time to get on with life.

francois
November 25th, 2021, 22:33
In Sept 2021 the 2nd leading cause of death in USA was from Covid just below heart disease.
The point is that Covid is not to be ignored and quite possibly newer variants may arise.

I am not an alarmist and am all for a return to normal activities in Thailand however we all must be vigilant.

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2021, 23:42
Whatever phase you want to call it the British or Canadian data are not to be swallowed hook, line and sinker.
The latest Japanese trend shows a rapidly decline in infectious cases

Have you taken a look at Japan's vaccination rate? It skyrocketed, and they're at over 80% vaccinated now.

Maybe, just maybe that has something to do with the drop in cases and not the horse de-worming medication.

StevieWonders
November 26th, 2021, 04:07
What about road traffic deaths? Globally 1.35 million per year, EVERY YEAR, since god knows when. That’s probably about 33 million people in the last 25 years.

We live with it, hardly mention it.

Time to get on with life.The same is true of heart attacks and cancer - familiarity breeds contempt

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 04:53
Are we really back to comparing Covid to traffic accidents?

For fuck sakes...

gerefan2
November 26th, 2021, 05:15
Are we really back to comparing Covid to traffic accidents?

If you read the thread we are not just comparing Covid with traffic accidents but are also comparing it with:

Flu

Heart disease

Cancer

Spanish Flu

Bubonic Plague

Pneunomia

And finally, the weather (your post)!

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 06:08
I don't know, but the last time I checked, traffic accidents didn't threatn to shut down entire nation's health care systems because their hospitals were so overwhelmed.

Today, just look at Germany and Austria for an example of this.

Seriously, comparing Covid to traffic accidents or the flu is just stupid now, and is nothing more than an ostrich putting their head in the sand.

StevieWonders
November 26th, 2021, 06:36
I don't know, but the last time I checked, traffic accidents didn't threatn to shut down entire nation's health care systems because their hospitals were so overwhelmed.

Today, just look at Germany and Austria for an example of this.

Seriously, comparing Covid to traffic accidents or the flu is just stupid now, and is nothing more than an ostrich putting their head in the sand.
You're missing the point entirely Matt. gerefan2 is saying that we are so used to the traffic accident statistics they don't register much any more whereas COVID is something shiny and new - a bright new bogey man

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 08:11
You're missing the point entirely Matt. gerefan2 is saying that we are so used to the traffic accident statistics they don't register much any more whereas COVID is something shiny and new - a bright new bogey man

I'll stick with what I said. I can't remember the last time I seen a documentary about a countries hospitals having to go on triage, putting doctors in the position of decising who lives and dies, while interviewing nurses and others who are totally burnt out from PTSD (except they haven't gotten to the "post" part of PTSD) due to traffic accidents.

If you could link me to that documentary / news cast, that would be great. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist though.

Again, comparing Covid to traffic accidents is simply retarded.

francois
November 26th, 2021, 09:31
In USA there was approximately 700,000 deaths due to Covid, in total. Traffic deaths about 70,000 for two years. So 10 times as many deaths due to Covid.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 09:49
In USA there was approximately 700,000 deaths due to Covid, in total. Traffic deaths about 70,000 for two years. So 10 times as many deaths due to Covid.

According to Worldometer right now, Covid has claimed 798,551 lives within the US. That tops the civil war, making Covid the single largest fatality event in the history of the US.

I don't think anything else needs to be said...

dinagam
November 26th, 2021, 10:04
Where is the data that shows you a direct cause of death attributed directly to the virus, apart from the co-morbidity factors. What they are churning out daily ad nauseum are anything but truthful and scientific.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 10:13
Where is the data that shows you a direct cause of death attributed directly to the virus, apart from the co-morbidity factors. What they are churning out daily ad nauseum are anything but truthful and scientific.

See that large 12 inch dildo sitting in the corner of your room? Can you kindly [Deleted text] with it?

Some text in this post was deleted under rule 4.7.

Jellybean

Dodger
November 26th, 2021, 10:24
Sucker punch thrown by dinagam in the third round:

"Where is the data that shows you a direct cause of death attributed directly to the virus, apart from the co-morbidity factors. What they are churning out daily ad nauseum are anything but truthful and scientific".

Below the belt counter punch thrown by cdnmatt just seconds later:

"See that large 12 inch dildo sitting in the corner of your room?" "Can you kindly [Deleted text] with it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eQ78HCGEA

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 10:45
Box gloves are on like a 10 year old Thai Muay Thai boxer. Let's do this! haha.

StevieWonders
November 26th, 2021, 12:07
Box gloves are on like a 10 year old Thai Muay Thai boxer. Let's do this! haha.A 10-year-old is how I usually sum you up

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2021, 13:20
A 10-year-old is how I usually sum you up

Want to compare monthly incomes, or something? Or which dick swinging competition would you prefer?

Brad the Impala
November 26th, 2021, 15:07
All these comparisons between the health impact of covid against road accidents or heart disease etc miss the point. This isn't an Either/Or scenario. What makes the impact of covid so meaningful is that the health issues/deaths are on top of all the existing health issues.

That's why the treatment of covid patients puts health services under strain, why we are still hearing in the UK about ambulances queuing outside hospitals where A&E are too busy to accept additional patients. This results in significant delays in ambulances reaching new emergencies, and increasing morbidity in the UK, excluding the Covid figures.

christianpfc
November 26th, 2021, 21:17
According to Worldometer right now, Covid has claimed 798,551 lives within the US. That tops the civil war, making Covid the single largest fatality event in the history of the US.

I don't think anything else needs to be said...
If you speak about unnatural death in the US, you cannot omit gun-related deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicides, and 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S.
About 1.4 million people have died from firearms in the U.S. between 1968 and 2011. This number includes all deaths resulting from a firearm, including suicides, homicides, and accidents.[13]

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is 25 times higher.

Comparing suicides with Covid-deaths is a bit twisted, however many who died of Covid were multi-morbid and would have died of something else anyway soon, and those who commited suicide by gun would have commited suicide by other means if they had not had access to a gun.

You have to distinguish death by Covid, death with Covid, and death due to Covid.

I was travelling with friends in Cambodia and they stopped at a traffic accident site, there was a fatality. My friend pointed out that the victim is first tested for Covid. Will a traffic accident victim, who happens to be positive, wind up in the Covid fatalities?

Recently in the news in Cambodia, about 7 people died and some more survived after drinking hand sanitizer mixed with fruit juice! But nothing new, every week an entire family is wiped out by methanol poisoning from moonshine.

StevieWonders
November 26th, 2021, 22:41
Want to compare monthly incomes, or something? Or which dick swinging competition would you prefer?An arm-wrestle in a Soi 4 bar suits me except (boo hoo) you’re not in Thailand and I am and it’s going to be that way for a long, long time

Brad the Impala
November 27th, 2021, 00:39
Comparing suicides with Covid-deaths is a bit twisted.

You are right!

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2021, 01:15
An arm-wrestle in a Soi 4 bar suits me except (boo hoo) you’re not in Thailand and I am and it’s going to be that way for a long, long time

No desire to get back to Thailand. All I want is to get into Laos, but considering the recent spike in Covid cases, I'm probably stuck waiting a while.

I don't do physical altercations. I'm not that stupid, but thanks anyway. If you would like an arm wrestle, I'm happy to pay someone to sit in for me though. :)

StevieWonders
November 27th, 2021, 03:54
No desire to get back to Thailand. All I want is to get into Laos, but considering the recent spike in Covid cases, I'm probably stuck waiting a while.

I don't do physical altercations. I'm not that stupid, but thanks anyway. If you would like an arm wrestle, I'm happy to pay someone to sit in for me though. :)
Just don't mention the 12" dildo in the same sentence as disclaiming physical altercations I guess. Ten year old Matt's word of the day - "truculent"

Brad the Impala
November 27th, 2021, 05:01
See that large 12 inch dildo sitting in the corner of your room? Can you kindly [Deleted text] with it?

Some text in this post was deleted under rule 4.7.

Jellybean

By deleting part of the original suggestion it leaves your imagination to run riot with replacing the missing text!

See that large 12 inch dildo sitting in the corner of your room? Can you kindly take care of your mother with it?

See that large 12 inch dildo sitting in the corner of your room? Can you kindly choke yourself with it?

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2021, 07:16
Apparently, we have the Omnikron variant to worry about now.

I'm wondering who's in charge of naming these variants. What happened to Omega?

Also, it's only another year or so before we run out of letters in the Greek alphabet, so what happens then? Do we double up on letters, and get variants like Beta-Gamma or?

StevieWonders
November 27th, 2021, 07:36
Apparently, we have the Omnikron variant to worry about now.

I'm wondering who's in charge of naming these variants. What happened to Omega?

Also, it's only another year or so before we run out of letters in the Greek alphabet, so what happens then? Do we double up on letters, and get variants like Beta-Gamma or?
Whenever I hear the phrase "Send in the clowns" there's one poster who springs immediately to mind. EVERY news channel is reporting "The World Health Organization declared the recently-discovered B.1.1.529 strain of Covid-19, first detected in southern Africa, to be a variant of concern and renamed it Omicron"

dinagam
November 27th, 2021, 07:37
It would not be wrong to predict that by the end of the month the vaccine manufacturers will be coming out with the right vaccine against the new strain, and their agents will be making vaccination mandatory for the entire world, at the prospect of billions of dollars in profits.

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2021, 07:55
Whenever I hear the phrase "Send in the clowns" there's one poster who springs immediately to mind. EVERY news channel is reporting "The World Health Organization declared the recently-discovered B.1.1.529 strain of Covid-19, first detected in southern Africa, to be a variant of concern and renamed it Omicron"

I'm blind, apologies for getting some spellings wrong.

I was calling Covid Kovid for the longest while.

StevieWonders
November 27th, 2021, 07:55
It would not be wrong to predict that by the end of the month the vaccine manufacturers will be coming out with the right vaccine against the new strain, and their agents will be making vaccination mandatory for the entire world, at the prospect of billions of dollars in profits. Surely even in your socialist workers' paradise the announcement from Pfizer this morning that it will take "100 days" has slipped through the great firewall

Moses
November 27th, 2021, 13:26
Surely even in your socialist workers' paradise the announcement from Pfizer this morning that it will take "100 days" has slipped through the great firewall

Today Gamaleya made announce what after reading new stamm's structure they are sure - their nasal spray "Sputnik M" (vaccine) will be effective against Omicron. Sputnik M - new vaccine in form of nasal spray, that is in phase 2 testing including kids 5-16 yo. Few days ago Putin had "sniff" of Sputnik M.

Nirish guy
November 27th, 2021, 17:17
What happened to Omega?

I can already feel the Christian (rarely) right rising up in disgust / protest at the idea of using "Omega" - you know what with that that being one of their names for their favourite poster boy Jesus himself and all.