PDA

View Full Version : We are not a gay hotel anymore

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 04:26
I came across these questions on booking.com about Tarntawan.

Read from the bottom up.

Confusing?

goji
November 4th, 2021, 06:00
Who needs a gay hotel in Thailand ?

I've stayed in gay hotels e.g. Ambiance or Two Guys (the latter was a dump)
I've stayed in gay friendly hotels.
I've stayed in regular hotels.
I've stayed in a hotel run by people who run the girly gogo bar downstairs in the same building.

As for the Tarntawan, for my first ever visit, I showed up there at about 10 am after being released from 15 nights quarantine in December 2020.
I wasn't expecting to check in that early, although I was aware that occupancy was low, so why not ?
My expectation was to quickly dump my bag and check in later.
But, NO, they processed my payment. Having handed over the cash, I expected the room key. Then they told me to come back and check in later !
When I did come back, I had to wave the receipt to expedite the process.
This does not create goodwill.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 07:26
Then they told me to come back and check in later !
When I did come back, I had to wave the receipt to expedite the process.
This does not create goodwill.

I guess that was a lesson learned. :-) But that place is good value for money, is it not?

My flight home is around 06:00 PM so I will need a late checkout. I'll make sure to arrange that before the payment becomes final.

Armando
November 4th, 2021, 10:12
Did I not read here some time ago that the Tarntawan had changed ownership?

Gaybutton
November 4th, 2021, 11:28
But, NO, they processed my payment. Having handed over the cash, I expected the room key. Then they told me to come back and check in later !

I'm curious. If occupancy was low, did they at least explain why they wouldn't let you into your room right away, especially since they had already take your money? And 10:00am is certainly not an unreasonable check-in time.

Dodger
November 4th, 2021, 12:27
I came across these questions on booking.com about Tarntawan.

Their response telling you that Tarntawan was no longer a gay hotel was as stupid as stupid gets. What the hotel representative should have told you is that the hotel is still "Gay Friendly". Duh!!!

Honestly, your question: "If it's not a gay hotel anymore will I feel safe there" is equally absurd.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 13:53
Their response telling you that Tarntawan was no longer a gay hotel was as stupid as stupid gets. What the hotel representative should have told you is that the hotel is still "Gay Friendly". Duh!!!

Honestly, your question: "If it's not a gay hotel anymore will I feel safe there" is equally absurd.

You make it sound like I asked those questions. LOL

Dodger
November 4th, 2021, 14:11
You make it sound like I asked those questions. LOL

Sorry, and I didn't mean to sound so gruff either.

I have to assume you'd enjoy your stay at Tartawan, and, as you know, the location can't be beat.

I switched from Tartawan to Pinnacle for my infrequent short stays in BKK which I really like. The buffet breakfast there is tops...sky train within walking distance...and great staff (gay friendly).

Enjoy your visit wherever you end up hanging your hat.

Oliver2
November 4th, 2021, 15:01
I was a regular at Tarntawan. Nothing changed in terms of its joiner policies when it changed hands.

What may have changed subsequently may be the quality of the English of some of the staff...the responses suggest the employee hadn't grasped the meaning of the question.

Manforallseasons
November 4th, 2021, 15:13
Who cares? The only reason to stay at that location is for it’s proximity to the bars…..before complaining first see if and when the bars reopen……Needless to say there are other hotels……wether they are open when you decide to come is somewhat up in the air. For me when going to BKK the Malaysia Hotel has always been gay friendly and about 900 baht with a 24 hour coffee shop and a pool.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 16:24
Sorry, and I didn't mean to sound so gruff either.

I have to assume you'd enjoy your stay at Tartawan, and, as you know, the location can't be beat.

I switched from Tartawan to Pinnacle for my infrequent short stays in BKK which I really like. The buffet breakfast there is tops...sky train within walking distance...and great staff (gay friendly).

Enjoy your visit wherever you end up hanging your hat.

haha, it's an internal struggle, but the location is hard to beat as MFAS says. W hotel has a great 2+2 offer and I wouldn't mind going premium for a week. I still have a couple of days to decide.

Is there another Pinnacle than the one near Lumpini? As I remember the nearest Skytrain is Sala Deang.

Dodger
November 4th, 2021, 16:50
Is there another Pinnacle than the one near Lumpini? As I remember the nearest Skytrain is Sala Deang.

That's the only Pinnacle I know of in Bangkok. The sky train (don't know the station name), is a short 5 minute walk from Pinnacle.

dinagam
November 4th, 2021, 17:14
Nearest to Pinnacle is the underground station.
The nearest skytrain station is Sala Daeng on Silom road.

goji
November 4th, 2021, 18:28
I guess that was a lesson learned. :-) But that place is good value for money, is it not?

In the covid era, there are plenty of good hotels with large discounts. When I returned to Bangkok later in that trip, I stayed at The Quarter Silom which was discounted all the way down to 500 baht (at the time).
New rooms, comfy bed, superb shower, large Android LCD TV, swimming pool and gym.
Only downside was compact rooms.
Guests can enter without going past reception, however I sent the first one through reception just to test & confirm policy.
Vastly superior to The Tarntawan.

Whilst The Quarter might not be discounted so far at present, there are other good deals around.
Also, when getting up the room options, for some hotels, the better rooms are currently offered at the same price as the basic ones. So do scroll down the page before selecting one.

Nirish guy
November 4th, 2021, 18:29
I wouldn't read to much into the hotels statement as I doubt it means they're "anti" gay, just merely are "open for everyone".

The hotel actually stopped becoming gay focused quite a while ago and on my last two stays there were noticeably more straight people in the foyer, BUT it's Thailand so it's not like the hotel care who you're bringing to your room and unless you were thinking of indulging in a spot of fisting at the breakfast buffet ( which wouldn't have been acceptable even when it was gay of course) I cant see how it makes any difference to ones stay.

I'll happily stay there again and walk through reception with my boy de jour and I doubt they or I will care as to whether they call themselves a "gay" hotel or not.

Dodger
November 4th, 2021, 19:00
Nearest to Pinnacle is the underground station.
The nearest skytrain station is Sala Daeng on Silom road.

Oh shit, you're right.

I walked down the stairs - not up...LOL.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:35
From their website:

christianpfc
November 5th, 2021, 22:16
I'm curious. If occupancy was low, did they at least explain why they wouldn't let you into your room right away, especially since they had already take your money? And 10:00am is certainly not an unreasonable check-in time.

It might be that the room was occupied the night before and room service hasn't cleaned it yet. I experienced or heard such thing once.

In my vast experience (I must have stayed at over 100 hotels all over Thailand), early check in (as early as 7 or 8 am coming by night train or bus) has never been a problem. But late check-out, be it just 1 or 2 pm, has always been like pulling teeth.

The smaller the hotel (low or middle class in my case), the easier the dealings. Record is 3 seconds for handing over the money and receiving the key, no name or other information exchanged. Whereas as the bigger or upscale hotels can take minutes to fill out forms and copy passport.