PDA

View Full Version : I am bored and diving in!

vnman
November 3rd, 2021, 17:00
I've spent a few days now trying to find an option for a 4 or 5-day trip. It was my intention to stay within a max 4-hour flight from Amsterdam, but nothing seems to get me excited.

The following reason made me decide to extend the trip for a few days and go to Thailand.

I'm not looking for nightlife activities.
Weather
Amazing deals on premium lodging.
a €414 economy flight including hand and checked luggage. This flight is with Singapore Airlines and they seem to have the best economy product at this time.
No need for a business ticket.
Very reasonable 1st-night hotel+ package including transportation.
The Thailand pass registration seems pretty straightforward.

My thoughts about Thailand have shifted a couple of times and are admittedly not always consistent. Earlier this year I wanted to come to Thailand and experience some places without the normal influx of tourists. But Thailand kept moving the goalpost so that never materialized. This might be ( hopefully it is) the only/last time to experience Thailand under these conditions.

I'm making reservations now and I'll keep you posted.

DoubleDutch
November 3rd, 2021, 20:35
I've spent a few days now trying to find an option for a 4 or 5-day trip. It was my intention to stay within a max 4-hour flight from Amsterdam, but nothing seems to get me excited.

The following reason made me decide to extend the trip for a few days and go to Thailand.

What!?

What happened to Mexico plan? I was counting on you!

Speaking of Amsterdam, on recent trip to Marrakech, I met a guy from Amsterdam, we became friends and he showed me good spots in the city, we were whoring around quite extensively despite annoying police presence in parks, was that you by any chance?

vnman
November 3rd, 2021, 22:58
Haha, no that wasn't me in Marrakech. But I would love to hear some details, I've never been there.

My trip to Mexico is all set. This time of year you have to book trips like that in advance. Mexico City, and Mexico in general is not as cheap as Thailand when it comes to accommodation. We had to book in advance to get what we wanted.

This Thailand trip is just a little snack. :-)

I wouldn't want to let the December holidays depend on the whims of some Thai bureaucrats.

vnman
November 3rd, 2021, 23:22
The application for the Thailand pass was very straightforward. Sadly you have to start the process at min. 7 days before travelling because I actually want to go this Friday. I'll go next Friday instead.

Finding a "test and go" hotel was not as straightforward. I used the website https://asq.in.th/bangkok-test-and-go-hotels and that is not as simple as booking and paying. After you enter your details, you get an email verifying that your request has been sent to the hotel. They ask you to reply to the email with some documents and information.

I did that but after 2 hours had not heard from the hotel. When I called the hotel, a lady told me that it was busy with requests. She asked for my email address and that she would look for it. After 5 minutes I got a message via line saying that she found my email. After that...silence. After an hour, I asked her via line how to proceed. She asked me to check my email:

Dear Mr "entered the wrong name here,"

If our hotel matches your criteria and you would like to stay with us. Kindly make a transfer and we will issue you the prepayment letter for Thailand Pass. I have enclosed some more details on the Thailand Test and Go program and Thailand Pass. Thailand is just reopening the country and new protocols are applied. Kindly contact me if you have any questions.

Here are our payment options,
1. Bank transfer
Bank: Siam Commercial Bank PCL
Account Name : The Elegant Bangkok Co., Ltd
Account number : XXXXXXXXXXX
Swift code: SICOTHBK
Account Branch and Address : Tesco Lotus Town in Town
1 st. FL. Tesco Lotus Town In Town 1329/10 Soi Latphrao 94 (Panchamit) , Wangthonglang, Wang Thong Lang, Bangkok 10310

2. Paypal : You can transfer us through paypal via : XXXXXXXXXX.

3.Credit card : Our credit card link for payment is under the recovery process. We have lost it after covid. It might take a couple days to recover. I do apologize and we will get back to you if you choose this option.

We look forward to welcoming you back home soon ka :)

Warmest regards,
XXXXX

I decided to pay with PayPal. This whole process was very fraud sensitive in my opinion. Luckily, payments with PayPal are protected and that's the only reason I went ahead with the booking. I was already searching for an alternative but I am happy we got this done.

This hotel is cheap and near the airport. It's the perfect location because I'm not yet sure what to do after receiving the expected negative COVID test. I might take a domestic flight, stay in Bangkok or rent a car and drive to Pattaya.

It took 2 hours before the hotel sent me the document I needed for the Thailand pass. And here comes the kicker... wait for it...

After I uploaded the documents for the Thailand pass, I got approved within 5 seconds and received the QR code.

gerefan2
November 4th, 2021, 03:36
I have also just finished the requirements for the Thai Pass.

The application is a little long winded but actually quite simple once you have your ducks in a row.

The final item was Hotel ASQ. My chosen hotel is in Pattaya and I completed their application form, completed the credit card details and had a confirmation in minutes. It included all the details required for the Thai Pass.

HINT for Thai Pass application.

When it asks for copies of documents just take a photo and hit use. It accepted them all, no fuss but obviously you will have to print them out first. I had done that anyway to take them with me.

Like vnman I got my Thai Pass in SECONDS. I then got an email saying my application had been received and could take 7 days!

TiT.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 04:20
Like vnman I got my Thai Pass in SECONDS. I then got an email saying my application had been received and could take 7 days!

TiT.

Hahaha, indeed. In that order.

But how on earth do they check those details so quickly?

It's also true that you cannot upload PDF files. You will have to make a screenshot from the documents and send them in jpg or png format.

@gerefan2, when are you going and why did you choose Pattaya?

I haven't made up my mind yet but Pattaya might come in last on my list. Obviously, I've lived there and visited for so many years that this might be the perfect time to look elsewhere. Nightlife might not be on the table, I would still love to have a drink or two during dinner. As I understand it, that is possible in Bangkok. I've also been invited to come to Ubon, but I need a little more information before I commit to that.

Blueskytoday
November 4th, 2021, 04:49
HI:
what did you mean "just take a photo and hit USE??? Poor me...I am not great with this "uploading" documents for the
Thailand Pass.....I will probably fail...

gerefan2
November 4th, 2021, 05:40
Vnman...going at the end of November, hoping that entertainment opens in December. Failing that there’s Bangkok as you say.

Blueskytoday...I printed all documents first.
When you get to a question which requires a document (say a copy of your passport) there will be a symbol which says “browse file”. Click on it and there are 3 choices. See below.

Select take photo and your device will automatically go to camera. Take a pic of your passport (or document) and the camera will then say ‘Use’. Hit use and hey presto ...the form accepts it.

Blueskytoday
November 4th, 2021, 06:57
THANKS...Since I have photo's already in my photo library, I can just click that one in to download it..Thanks again...OH must one purchase the airline ticket BEFORE applying for the thailand pass, or can we just put the travel dates in,,,make the hotel resv, etc.....I hope on can wait until actually departing/making the trip to buy the ticket...THANKS..

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 07:17
I hope on can wait until actually departing/making the trip to buy the ticket...THANKS..

Yes, you only need to pay the hotel, insurance and get confirmations. They will ask you for your itinerary so you should have that handy. This includes the flight number. You can buy your ticket at any time you see fit.

Oliver2
November 4th, 2021, 15:39
Can you clarify that, please? You choose a flight, enter the flight number but not actually buy the ticket?

pong
November 4th, 2021, 20:16
other thing:remark from general fora:
There have been reported issues with some passprts: add blanks at the end, it seems-as usual with Thai govmt. sites, they cannot think out of their own box that other countries may have different nrs.
all documents canNOt be pdf-only jpeg or other things
First reports were-as could be expected from any Thai govt site- disappointing- all refused or struck somewhere online. But apparently this has been resolved now.
Also you MUST download the socalled Mochana app on your fone so they can follow you with the test results when inland (or maybe to follow you 1948 style?)
Eagerly awaiting first reports from on earth in TH-what is open and how much fun can be had?
thanks about tip on SQ-this airline never shows up in the general skyscan or googleflite search machines

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:08
Can you clarify that, please? You choose a flight, enter the flight number but not actually buy the ticket?

You can decide when you want to go and look for a ticket. When you find a ticket you like, note the flight number and arrival time. That information you need for the application process. Then, when you are ready, you buy that ticket. I hope that makes sense.

Oliver2
November 4th, 2021, 22:10
Thanks. If however, after the pass has been granted, you find that the flight is fully-booked; do you have to make a second application?

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:17
Also you MUST download the socalled Mochana app on your fone so they can follow you with the test results when inland (or maybe to follow you 1948 style?)

Thanks, I downloaded the MorChana app. I had not heard of it. But honestly, I don't think that they need this specific app to follow us around like it's 1984. Sometimes I check my google account on my phone and I get a precise readout of where I was on what date. It goes so far that they even produce some pictures I had taken from those locations and dates.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:23
Thanks. If however, after the pass has been granted, you find that the flight is fully-booked; do you have to make a second application?

Good question! I was thinking about this. I followed the QR code link they sent me and the certificate is valid until February first. Let me know if you know what I mean otherwise, I will show you my certificate. The problem is that I have to redact a lot so only if needed.

But like I said, you will get your QR code within seconds so you can book your ticket immediately after.

gerefan2
November 4th, 2021, 22:23

When I applied for the pass it did NOT require a copy of the actual ticket, just the flight number and arrival time.

I assume the pass is only valid for the flight in question so I would assume that if it’s full (extremely unlikely) then yes you would probably need a new pass.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:29

As you can see it is valid for almost 3 months.

christianpfc
November 4th, 2021, 22:44
Congratulations and all the best for your trip! I might go in December.

Somewhere else it was mentioned that hotels on Agoda offer SHA packages. That would eliminate having to deal with the hotel (problems as in OP) but would that be accepted for Thailand Pass?

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 22:54
Congratulations and all the best for your trip! I might go in December.

Somewhere else it was mentioned that hotels on Agoda offer SHA packages. That would eliminate having to deal with the hotel (problems as in OP) but would that be accepted for Thailand Pass?

I've seen that too, but no idea how to book it on Agoda. When I tried, I got quoted a normal room rate and not a package. I know that there are other hotels with much easier processes directly via their website, but I really wanted this specific hotel.

The package that you are talking about is called "test&go," and it is especially for the Thailand Pass. I would be shocked if it's not going to be accepted.

Also, I advise everyone to check the refund policy of the hotels before booking. Many give you a refund if you don't succeed in getting a Thailand Pass, but some don't.

goji
November 5th, 2021, 01:18

There are AQ hotels in Bangkok offering one night quarantine packages.
My hotel told me the Agoda booking confirmation is accepted for the Thai Pass.

gerefan2
November 5th, 2021, 01:52
Also, I advise everyone to check the refund policy of the hotels before booking. Many give you a refund if you don't succeed in getting a Thailand Pass, but some don't.

Good point.

I booked my 1 night quarantine directly with the hotel and carefully read the small print. It said no refunds, cancellation or amendments.

However when I got the email confirmation there is a box which you can click to change the booking date, make changes etc.

TiT!

colmx
November 5th, 2021, 06:39
Does anyone know how far in advance you can apply for the TP?
I won't be travelling until late December, but would prefer to have an approved TP in hand before booking my flights.

Incidentally I am finding that the available flight inventory to Thailand around Dec 27-29 is pretty poor. Unless you are prepared to travel on KLM with their prototype B777 from 1994 or on Luftwaffe in their A340 which should also have been canned years ago

goji
November 5th, 2021, 06:52
Incidentally I am finding that the available flight inventory to Thailand around Dec 27-29 is pretty poor. Unless you are prepared to travel on KLM with their prototype B777 from 1994 or on Luftwaffe in their A340 which should also have been canned years ago

Alternatively fly with the Taliban ?

Travel pass applications can go in several weeks in advance. At least 3 weeks, probably more.

vnman
November 5th, 2021, 13:15
Does anyone know how far in advance you can apply for the TP?
I won't be travelling until late December, but would prefer to have an approved TP in hand before booking my flights.

I would say that you have to go (and maybe leave the country again) within 3 months. As you can see in the screenshot of a previous post, that's how long the certificate is good for. But that is logic speaking and not the Thai authorities.

Blueskytoday
November 5th, 2021, 20:17
I've seen that too, but no idea how to book it on Agoda. When I tried, I got quoted a normal room rate and not a package. I know that there are other hotels with much easier processes directly via their website, but I really wanted this specific hotel.

The package that you are talking about is called "test&go," and it is especially for the Thailand Pass. I would be shocked if it's not going to be accepted.

Which do you think is better, dealing directly with a hotel, or going thru Agoda or other booking sites???

goji
November 5th, 2021, 20:24
Search for a hotel in Bangkok on your preferred date.
Select quarantine hotels in the filter drop down.
Make sure you look at quarantine offers.

Prices seem to be increased from when I booked.

vnman
November 5th, 2021, 21:41
Which do you think is better, dealing directly with a hotel, or going thru Agoda or other booking sites???

Personally, I would use https://asq.in.th/bangkok-test-and-go-hotels to find a place. They have some good filters for searching. Then, you can book or try directly via the hotel's website.

You can always compare prices with Agoda or booking.com

Oliver2
November 5th, 2021, 21:59
I looked at Agoda's Pattaya selection; there was only one available for my January dates.

gerefan2
November 5th, 2021, 22:35
I looked at Agoda's Pattaya selection; there was only one available for my January dates.

I have booked my one day directly with this place in Pattaya and they still appear to have many vacancies in January.

https://www.greenparkpattaya.com/

Have you tried looking directly at hotels websites. It may be that Agoda’s allocation has been used up.

Brad the Impala
November 6th, 2021, 01:58
Personally, I would use https://asq.in.th/bangkok-test-and-go-hotels to find a place. They have some good filters for searching. Then, you can book or try directly via the hotel's website.

You can always compare prices with Agoda or booking.com

Curiously the hotel quotes in Bangkok and Pattaya include vaccination and transport, but those in Phuket do not.

Dodger
November 6th, 2021, 11:12
Curiously the hotel quotes in Bangkok and Pattaya include vaccination and transport, but those in Phuket do not.

I think you meant to say..."tests and transport", not "vaccinations".

vnman
November 6th, 2021, 12:42

Indeed!

But with hotel prices like this, it stays the same from a costs perspective.

vnman
November 8th, 2021, 18:35
Not sure when and where I am supposed to take the COVID test in Thailand, I asked the hotel. They told me that I will take the test at the hotel. If I make it to the hotel before 10:00 AM, I will get the result the same night at 08:00 PM. The second round of test results will come in at 04:00 AM.

My plane lands at 08:40 AM so I will need a small miracle to make the first cutoff.

goji
November 8th, 2021, 18:48
My plane lands at 12:05
I get tested at 18:00 at the hotel in Bangkok
The result is due by 14:00 next day and I've seen evidence of someone else getting the result by 13:00 in the same hotel.

This seems to be slow, however at least I have a nice room in a well reviewed hotel.

I'd rather be out by 8:00~9:00 am, but to exercise my rights to free cancellation for the quarantine hotel, I'd need to identify a genuinely better alternative AND be confident that the Thai Pass would be processed promptly.

vnman
November 8th, 2021, 19:37
My plane lands at 12:05
I get tested at 18:00 at the hotel in Bangkok
The result is due by 14:00 next day and I've seen evidence of someone else getting the result by 13:00 in the same hotel.

This seems to be slow, however at least I have a nice room in a well reviewed hotel.

I'd rather be out by 8:00~9:00 am, but to exercise my rights to free cancellation for the quarantine hotel, I'd need to identify a genuinely better alternative AND be confident that the Thai Pass would be processed promptly.

It must be hospital-specific. You arrive a bit later than me, but wouldn't you rather get the result early in the evening? What I like so much about flying east is the lack of a jetlag. My flight starts early morning Dutch time and I'll arrive at the beginning of the night Dutch time. This means I can easily sleep 6 or 7 hours in the hotel and wake up at 4 or 5 PM and will be good to go.

If you are out at 08:00 AM, can you check in somewhere else that early?

If I am lucky enough to get the results the same day, I can check in at Tarntawan immediately, because I booked an extra day. If I don't make the cut, I can check in first thing in the morning and enjoy the breakfast there.

goji
November 8th, 2021, 21:19
It must be hospital-specific. You arrive a bit later than me, but wouldn't you rather get the result early in the evening? What I like so much about flying east is the lack of a jetlag. My flight starts early morning Dutch time and I'll arrive at the beginning of the night Dutch time. This means I can easily sleep 6 or 7 hours in the hotel and wake up at 4 or 5 PM and will be good to go.

If you are out at 08:00 AM, can you check in somewhere else that early?

I have more of a jet lag problem flying east than west.
When flying home, all I have to do is force myself to stay awake until about 10:00 pm, take some herbal sleeping tablets and I sleep through to after 5:00 am. The following day is even easier.
Flying east to Thailand, it takes a good 4 days or so to adjust.

As for the covid result, getting it at 8:00 am gives me options & is preferable to being confined until 13:00. This "Quarantine Free" arrival will involve almost 24 hours of quarantine.

vnman
November 11th, 2021, 19:57
I know that someone was interested in flights with Singapore Airlines (SQ) but I cannot find the comment. The following is something to consider when flying with SQ:

It is something that I had not considered, but luckily my country falls within the scheme. That makes going home a lot easier and also cheaper. If presented with the choice of testing before flying home with SQ or not testing flying with Qatar, I would have chosen Qatar.

Edit: come to think of it. The SQ rules are complicated as well. I will just get tested again before flying home because going true their website is torture.

DrewSpz
November 11th, 2021, 22:22
Are any of the massage places / Bars / gogo discreetly open (okay maybe not gogo as that doesn’t seem possible)?

I’ve booked my trip for the week of December leading into XMas. Just hoping there’s some action

Manforallseasons
November 11th, 2021, 22:56
Are any of the massage places / Bars / gogo discreetly open (okay maybe not gogo as that doesn’t seem possible)?

I’ve booked my trip for the week of December leading into XMas. Just hoping there’s some action

Massage places…

vnman
November 13th, 2021, 09:12
Weird, I just wrote something but the post doesn't show.

I landed at 08:43 AM and was at door number 10 around 09:05. That went fast. The longest wait was for the taxi. I arrived at the hotel at 09:45 and that was on time to get the test result later today.

I am tired and will go to sleep. I'll write about the experience and procedures a bit later.

Oliver2
November 13th, 2021, 14:05
Good luck; I hope the rest of the trip is successful.

Did you change your currency before being whisked off to your hotel? and did you buy a SIM?

Dodger
November 13th, 2021, 14:51
I am tired and will go to sleep. I'll write about the experience and procedures a bit later.

We don't care about the procedures. We want to see some pictures of the first boy you bag...including some closeups.

Congratulations on your successful and long awaited journey.

Tell us everything!

Brad the Impala
November 13th, 2021, 15:15
We don't care about the procedures.

You may not care about the procedures but there quite few board members travelling in the near future who are keen to hear about every possible wrinkle in the process!

Dodger
November 13th, 2021, 17:32
You may not care about the procedures but there quite few board members travelling in the near future who are keen to hear about every possible wrinkle in the process!

It was an attempt to be humorous. I guess it didn't work...LOL

vnman
November 13th, 2021, 17:50
To start with some information that might not be interesting to many, but if you decide on staying in a hotel near the airport in Amsterdam, I suggest you look at the Hampton by Hilton in Hoofddorp it's reasonably priced below 70 Euros (inc breakfast) and a few minutes by foot from the train station. There is a train leaving to Schiphol every 5 minutes and the trip also only takes 5 minutes.

A few days before my flight, Singapore Airlines asked me to provide all documents electronically i.e. QR codes. No problem for anyone with a smartphone but I also printed my documents. Good thing that I did, because the paper version of, Hotel reservation, PCR test, Insurance and Thailand Pass were requested for inspection at check-in. I had 2 copies of each but they only wanted to make sure I had the copies and could keep them.

I arrived 2 hours and 15 minutes before departure, and there was only one person before me at the check-in counter. The process takes longer and when I was done, there was a line for economy passengers but the line for business passengers was just as long. For me, this would have been unacceptable. When you pay a premium, you should get premium service. Anyway, my flight was in Economy so I couldn't care less.

From there, everything went smooth. The plane left on time and was only at 20% capacity...but that's really my best guess.

The first 4 rows were free so I established a little nest at the 3rd row. After take-off, I was blessed with two kids who decided that the row behind me was good enough for a playground. To be honest, they were very quiet but They left their overhead light on most of the flight. After a few hours, I noticed that they weren't wearing a mask. I asked the stewardess about this and she said that children up to 6 didn't need to wear a mask. So on a flight with only vaccinated, mask-wearing and recently tested people, I got the two behind me who were none of the 3.

Flying over Bangkok was weird. it was still 2 hours to Singapore and of course, I had to come the same way back. Stopovers in Qatar, Dubai etc. make a lot more sense. They break the trip perfectly in half and you don't have to double back. What I did like was the fact that Singapore Airlines offered a morning flight. I just felt fresh, even flying in economy. The food was not that great and they were very stingy on a 12+ hour flight. The legroom is very generous.

In Singapore, they announced a 15-minute delay 45 minutes before boarding, and we pushed back exactly 15 minutes delayed. Because I really wanted to be at the hotel before 10 so I could get the COVID test result back today, that was a little worrying.

In Bangkok, we arrived at an E gate. I assume that all international planes land there because it has been set up to accommodate their document procedure. A picture would have explained it better but they basically have a line (50 meters) of chairs. There are two chairs next to each other and you just go sit in a free chair that is most to the front. A staff member will come to you and you will be asked for your passport, boarding card, immigration card (which we got before boarding the plane), PCR test and Thailand Pass.

If you have all of this they will tell you to walk to the first available desk and present these documents. They will check it and give you a little stamp on your immigration card and you can walk to immigration.
This was at the beginning of the E pier so you know it is not far from there to immigration. At immigration, they only want your immigration card, passport and boarding card. After that get your checked-in luggage and head to the exit.

The whole process from deboarding to exit took 20 minutes or so. But consider that I was the first out of economy class and the plane was not busy.

After customs, you will see many desks and people hoovering. Normally I ignore everyone there but this time you really need to tell them who you are. They might ask for your name or the hotel you are staying in. They seem to have many different systems but I had to wait for a car, which took only me to the hotel.

They would not allow you to get a sim card (the path to that section is taped off) and I didn't see an ATM I could reach. I probably could have changed some money before I went through customs, but I only had that COVID test deadline in mind.

My Hotel is not that good. The food is very primitive but most annoyingly, the air system makes so much noise. I'm happy to sleep in the centre of town tonight.

Tomorrow I'll be at Balcony. I have a boy coming over from Pattaya but I am not sure how long he will be staying. I thought it would be nice to eliminate the need for hunting the first few days and concentrate on fun stuff to do and see.

If you are interested in going out the night of arrival and you are able to come to this hotel before 10 AM, staying here might be an option. When you get back your results, you can immediately take a taxi or even a plane to anywhere. I would prefer this over test&go in Pattaya, if it means I have to wait until the next day.

goji
November 13th, 2021, 19:03
Thank you for the report.

I also printed my documents. Good thing that I did, because the paper version of, Hotel reservation, PCR test, Insurance and Thailand Pass were requested for inspection at check-in. I had 2 copies of each but they only wanted to make sure I had the copies and could keep them.

Last year I also had 2 identical sets of printed documents, in separate A5 folders in separate compartments in my hand luggage.
Plus copies on my phone, tablet and google drive.

When the documents could be checked a couple of times before arriving in BKK, having back ups reduces the stress.

Jellybean
November 13th, 2021, 21:35
Weird, I just wrote something but the post doesn't show.

I landed at 08:43 AM and was at door number 10 around 09:05. That went fast. The longest wait was for the taxi. I arrived at the hotel at 09:45 and that was on time to get the test result later today.

Congratulations vnman on 'diving in' and arriving safe and sound in Thailand. But I see that you travel light, just like arsenal. I’m guessing - one spare pair of pants (extra large), one spare white T-shirt XXL, one spare pair of white socks, toiletries, lube and condoms, extra large of course. Would that be about right? ;)

Uranus
November 13th, 2021, 21:41
In Bangkok, we arrived at an E gate. I assume that all international planes land there because it has been set up to accommodate their document procedure. A picture would have explained it better but they basically have a line (50 meters) of chairs. There are two chairs next to each other and you just go sit in a free chair that is most to the front. A staff member will come to you and you will be asked for your passport, boarding card, immigration card (which we got before boarding the plane), PCR test and Thailand Pass.

If you have all of this they will tell you to walk to the first available desk and present these documents. They will check it and give you a little stamp on your immigration card and you can walk to immigration.
This was at the beginning of the E pier so you know it is not far from there to immigration. At immigration, they only want your immigration card, passport and boarding card. After that get your checked-in luggage and head to the exit.

The whole process from deboarding to exit took 20 minutes or so. But consider that I was the first out of economy class and the plane was not busy.

After customs, you will see many desks and people hoovering. Normally I ignore everyone there but this time you really need to tell them who you are. They might ask for your name or the hotel you are staying in. They seem to have many different systems but I had to wait for a car, which took only me to the hotel.

Thanks a lot for useful information.

vnman
November 13th, 2021, 22:09
[QUOTE=Jellybean;284479]Congratulations vnman on 'diving in' and arriving safe and sound in Thailand. But I see that you travel light, just like arsenal. I’m guessing - one spare pair of pants (extra large), one spare white T-shirt XXL, one spare pair of white socks, toiletries, lube and condoms, extra large of course. Would that be about right? ;)

Are you or have you ever been a member of the Paparazzi? Hahaha, well done!

I called the hotel nurse at 20:00 and she said that I had tested negative. I wonder how long she has been sitting on the information. After checking out I hailed a Grab taxi and went to Silom. Checked in the hotel and went for a walk. Some massage places left and right but not too many touts, which I actually wish were there :-)

I've never been to the soi where the boys' gogos are but I'll have a look there tomorrow. I know that they are closed but you never know what might be lurking outside.

Around 21:30, Soi 4 looked very lively still. I didn't walk in the soi but took a picture from the main street. Tomorrow I will try to get some better shots.

The place at the beginning of the Soi on the right was packed. Sorry I didn't capture that. The system doesn't let me upload a picture with a higher resolution. That means that our GoFundMe for Arsenal is off.

Manforallseasons
November 13th, 2021, 22:20
G’s restaurant in the pic has really good food and 100’s of different beers, air conditioning inside, tables outside for people watching.

goji
November 13th, 2021, 23:23
The system doesn't let me upload a picture with a higher resolution. That means that our GoFundMe for Arsenal is off.
The system limits us to 800 pixel width, which is not exactly 4k.
If you have any particularly nice shots of lads, crop off excess areas firstly. Then if the width is still over 800, resize the width down to 800. The system seems to accept heights far in excess of 800.
However, it does seem pointless crowdfunding a 100 Mp Hasselblad camera for Arsenal.

dab69
November 14th, 2021, 07:34
Had no clue you could get a Sim card at the airport...
Went without one my last trip in 2019...

Probably can't be without this next time.

colmx
November 14th, 2021, 08:39
G"s is a place I have always felt welcomed and at ease. I wouldn't mind spending a few nights in the "embassy of beers" and checking out what Guido has hidden behind the counters!

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures VNMan. Can you please share the name of your Quarantine hotel?

goji
November 14th, 2021, 15:25
Had no clue you could get a Sim card at the airport...

Once you have a SIM card, it's possible to extend the validity.
In the case of True Move, via a few SMS codes, I can get year for just over 30 baht, which means it's good to go when I arrive on the next trip. I think topping up the balance extends it further.

Much less hassle than getting a new SIM card.

Oliver2
November 14th, 2021, 17:29
Thanks....I don't wish to be without a mobile while I'm in prison.

gerefan2
November 14th, 2021, 23:41
In normal times you used to be able to stop at the SIM card booth on your way out of the airport.

Nowadays, when you need to into quarantine,I didn’t think they let you stop anywhere.

Maybe they do with the magic one day quarantine...

goji
November 15th, 2021, 02:24
Thanks....I don't wish to be without a mobile while I'm in prison.

Even with no SIM, the hotel wifi should work, which gives you Line, What's App, a lot of phone apps and if you really need it, Skype could be used for phone calls.
These days, I make more "phone calls" by What's App than using the phone as a phone.

Oliver2
November 15th, 2021, 13:42
Yes, I'd forgotten all that. And if you have a friend in Thailand, he can top-up on line for you.

goji
November 15th, 2021, 13:50
Yes, I'd forgotten all that. And if you have a friend in Thailand, he can top-up on line for you.

I just topped up my Thai SIM from here in the UK, using a UK credit card (with 0% forex fees).

Oliver2
November 15th, 2021, 20:50
I'm glad I mentioned it!

colmx
November 16th, 2021, 04:20
I too have got bored of waiting and have dived in. Got some bargain flights on KLM this evening that I simply couldn't say no to!

Now just hope that they don't cancel between now and December 28, and that the Thai authorities relax some restrictions earlier than then mooted Jan 16 date!

Dodger
November 16th, 2021, 07:29
vnman,

Our man on the streets.

You're report of your arrival details is greatly appreciated.

We haven't heard from you since your rendezvous with the boy you summoned from Pattaya. Can we assume you're preoccupied and experiencing total bliss at the moment?

Have a great time...you earned it.

Cheers

vnman
November 16th, 2021, 12:51
Boys and girls I just woke up and I am hungover. I didn't read your comments yet but I will and write a report today. I might even have taken some good pictures. I went to an underground party with boys and booze.

Oliver2
November 16th, 2021, 13:15
You win the prize for Great Explorer of the year, our very own Captain Kirk, going to places where no man has gone for two years. And making it much easier for we lesser mortals to follow.

Dodger
November 16th, 2021, 15:00
......I went to an underground party with boys and booze.

BOYS...BOOZE...PARTY...HANGOVER... immediately after completing your solo journey!...YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

One small step for man, one giant leap for a horny homo from Neptune.

I just love adventure, and have the greatest respect for people like you who aren't afraid to live life on their own terms - and not get deterred by other peoples opinions.

Have a great time.

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 15:05
I too have got bored of waiting and have dived in. Got some bargain flights on KLM this evening that I simply couldn't say no to!

Now just hope that they don't cancel between now and December 28, and that the Thai authorities relax some restrictions earlier than then mooted Jan 16 date!

Don’t count on it!

Dodger
November 16th, 2021, 15:20

Have you considered lodging in BKK until the bars in PTY are open?

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 15:25

I really don’t understand what you geniuses think? You must know there is fuck all happening here…..Wake up!!!!

a447
November 16th, 2021, 15:32
I really don’t understand what you geniuses think? You must know there is fuck all happening here…..Wake up!!!!

Not according to vnman.

I went to an underground party with boys and booze.

There's obviously fun to be had somewhere!

goji
November 16th, 2021, 15:42

You keep telling us to stay away & have been at it for years.

You even attempt to question the intelligence of people planning to visit, whilst still living in Thailand yourself. Genius ?

Other countries are opening up. When are you leaving ? No one is going to take this constant whinging seriously until then.

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 15:42
Not according to vnman.

There's obviously fun to be had somewhere!

I think you should definitely use this as an excuse to come…..Lol

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 15:45
I know gogi is not the sharpest knife on the rack but frankly I expected more from AK47.
This is an excerpt from a message I received from a friend this afternoon on Facebook messenger:

“ Unfortunately I arrived in Pattaya yesterday. I was in Canada then London for the past six weeks. I didn’t want to do the 7 day quarantine in Cambodia so came to Thailand with the one night quarantine. My luck - the day I arrive here they dropped the quarantine in Cambodia.

I can’t believe how sad it is here.

Will probably head back to PP this weekend.

Let me know if you’d like to get together for a coffee”

colmx
November 16th, 2021, 15:59

My understanding is that there is plenty happening in Pattaya, Phuket and BKK. You just need to knock on the right doors and know the right people

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 16:04
My understanding is that there is plenty happening in Pattaya, Phuket and BKK. You just need to knock on the right doors and know the right people

Please be kind enough to share with the members here which are the right doors.

goji
November 16th, 2021, 16:35

One does not have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.

Gaybutton
November 16th, 2021, 16:40

I would appreciate that too. Both Manforallseasons and I, along with several farang friends all live in Pattaya. How come none of us know "the right doors"?

"One does not have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out." Really? Great! If anyone has this figured out, I'd love to know just what you figured out. One-liners and riddles are not much help to those of us incapable of figuring it out.

Gents, wishful thinking is only going to lead to bitter disappointment. Do what you want and listen to who you want, but those of us who live here are trying to provide an honest, realistic picture of what is going on and what you can currently expect. If that's not good enough or not telling what you want to hear, very sorry.

a447
November 16th, 2021, 17:46
deleted

a447
November 16th, 2021, 17:50

In other words mfas, you have to get off your arse and make an effort if you want to find some fun. It's no good just sitting back expecting the guys to appear on your doorstep.

At least, that's the message I'm getting.

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 17:53
"One does not have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out." Really? Great! If anyone has this figured out, I'd love to know just what you figured out. One-liners and riddles are not much help to those of us incapable of figuring it out.

Gents, wishful thinking is only going to lead to bitter disappointment. Do what you want and listen to who you want, but those of us who live here are trying to provide an honest, realistic picture of what is going on and what you can currently expect. If that's not good enough or not telling what you want to hear, very sorry.

Here is my one liner: You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

Gaybutton
November 16th, 2021, 18:18
Here is my one liner: You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

That's assuming there's any water around for the horse to be led to . . .

Gaybutton
November 16th, 2021, 18:21
It's no good just sitting back expecting the guys to appear on your doorstep.

Actually, that is one of the few things that is good these days for "liaisons" with the guys. The bars are still all closed, so using the apps the guys appear on your doorstep.

Nirish guy
November 16th, 2021, 18:23
If I were a betting man and I'd to put a tenner on who could find a good night out ( even now) in Patts or BKK and it was between Colmx or GB or MFAS I think I know where I'd be putting my money !! ( pls that's on Colmx just in case there was any confusion re that :-)

So roll up roll up folks and place your bets, it's double or nothing, who's it going to be then ??!!! lol

a447
November 16th, 2021, 18:36
Actually, that is one of the few things that is good these days for "liaisons" with the guys. The bars are still all closed, so using the apps the guys appear on your doorstep.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. You have to be proactive and get on the apps and actively look for someone for fun.

Dodger
November 16th, 2021, 18:40
Honestly, anyone who lives in Pattaya who doesn't know how to find a good time needs to get out more.

Not as easy as just picking a number off the stage...so you may need to brush up on your communication skills...get out and around more...try to build a network (get connected)...more doors open ever time. That's the way it works. If that's too much of a task, either use the apps., or send a PM to vnman and he can tell you how to do it.

goji
November 16th, 2021, 18:47
I think I know where I'd be putting my money !!
That would be a crowded trade.

In the last 12~18 months there have been about 4~5 cases where I've led the horse to the water and suggested where to go for everything from massages to government offices.
Every time it's dismissed. "Must be closed". "It's definitely not there". Every time I've been correct.
In some cases I've posted a photograph as proof. In other cases another expat has visited later and confirmed the information.
Also, there are the businesses that I've used as a customer.

This nicely sums it up.

Honestly, anyone who lives in Pattaya who doesn't know how to find a good time needs to get out more.

Gaybutton
November 16th, 2021, 19:50

Why do I have a feeling that your idea of a good time and my idea of a good time are very different?

vnman
November 16th, 2021, 22:03
Saturday evening I ended on the apps. It's was around midnight and I was tired, but also in the land of milk and honey. One guy approached me and sent me some pictures. He was definitely my type. 20 yo Thai twinkie. He asked if I could pick him up, but he lived a bit too far for my liking. I offered to pay for his taxi. He didn't want that, then I offered to send a Grab so he didn't have to advance the money. He didn't want that either. He insisted that I came to his place and we have some fun there. I explained that I would only be interested if he would come to my hotel. Then he asked if maybe I was not alone. That wouldn't be a problem. I could bring a friend for some groups sex. I refused and had to a couple of times more because he kept insisting. No idea what he was thinking. Could have been serious or a scam.

Then got to chatting with another guy, I will show you his picture when I am home. He was handsome but his pics were edited a lot with photoshop, so I asked if he would like to facetime. That was OK for him. He opened his cam and he turned out to be very cute. No idea why he uses so much Photoshop. We agreed to meet on Wednesday after he finishes work, which would be around 22:00. Wish me luck because I think some of you might be drooling too with the prospect of meeting him.

Sunday, I wanted to get a few things out of the way. it started with a dentist appointment in Siam Paragon, and after that, I went to MBK to change some money. After that, I took the Skytrain to Silom and was expecting the boy (T) from Pattaya around 16:00. There was a lot lost in translation, and while I was waiting for him at the BTS station, he thought it was a good idea to walk to Suriwong rd. It was around 19:20 when we finally met. We quickly walked to the hotel, dropped his suitcase and went to Balcony.

This picture I took from Balcony looking at the Telephone bar. The contrast of Balcony having a full terras and Telephone being empty. A day later the door of the Telephone bar was open and I was able to take a picture inside while construction was going on. I have not seen any sign with the new name yet.

We decided not to sit outside but rather order some food inside. I had been outside most of the day and the aircon was very welcome. We ordered food and a nice cocktail. They make a great Whiskey Sour at Balcony.

I asked when they would close and the waiter told me 12. I was shocked. It means I could have gone there on Saturday too. I was under the impression that they would close at 22:00. They now close the terras at 23:00 and people can finish their drinks inside until 12.

At 23:00 people came inside and the bar was full. However, I didn't like it that much because they had stopped playing music. We decided to leave 20 minutes later. I must say that on Monday they stopped the music when they closed at 12. Which was much better in my opinion.

We walked to the hotel via Foodland and passed all the closed gogo bars. That was definitely a sad sight. You understand that we went straight to sleep when we got back to the hotel. hehehe

Monday started slow. I think we fell out of bed around 2 pm and went out to see some sights. In the evening we went to Oishi. I love Japanese food but as you can see, it's not like it used to be.

You have to order directly with the waiter and they will bring the plates to your table. The food is still good but it takes something away from the experience. if I had to guess, maybe 40% of the restaurants are open in MBK. There were hardly any people around 20:00.

After eating we took a taxi to Silom Soi 4. I must say, we mostly used Grab but the times we took a normal taxi, there were no problems with them not wanting to use the meter. I find myself tipping more than normal too. I know that everybody must be struggling. I can't save the world but an extra 20 or 50 here and there will also not kill me.

The waiter from the night before greeted us in Balcony where we sat down at the bar. T ordered some drinks for us and I went out to take some pictures of all the places.

Around 23:00 I spoke to someone about fun places to go. He told me that he knew a bar where we could get a table and drink all night. I told him that we wanted to go, so he called there and made the reservation. At midnight we left Balcony and went to the bar where we reserved a table.

The place seemed deserted going by how it looked from the outside. inside we had to walk through the building a bit until we got into a room that could hold about 50 to 75 people. There was a bar, disco lights and many tables. it was full and only the table I reserved was free. The girl-boy ratio must have been 25% girls and 75% boys.

I ordered a bottle of JW red for 2500 Baht mixers included. later I ordered a beer tap. Not sure how to call it. the price was 700 baht but I have no idea how many litres.

People were dancing to a mix of Thai and English music. Many boys were shirtless and I think I can include some pictures. Haha, we could post them in the tattoo section too. Ages ranged from 20 to 25. it was a very young crowd, so I fitted in perfectly. I didn't stand out at all LOL. Yeah, I was the only foreigner too.

Most importantly, I have spoken to many boys and they told me that they worked in the now-closed gogo bars. They are waiting for the customers to come back. I could have taken 4 or 5 boys with me easily that night but of course, I was with T. I did get phone numbers and some boys have already contacted me online. I forgot the name of the bar but I will get it tomorrow. If you are a regular poster here and want to know the name and someone who can help you with a reservation, please ask me in a private message. I don't want to get them in trouble.

That brings me to the pictures. I made some nice pictures of the boys and even some videos. I am just not sure what I can show and what I can't. I'll try to use my best judgement, but let the moderators decide if pictures give away too much of the location. I might also be worrying too much.

Bangkok reminds me of the early days of Thaksin when bars had to close at 12. There are many other places that are open late with boys and booze, you just have to ask the right people.

Manforallseasons
November 16th, 2021, 22:38
Nice pics, seems like you found some interesting spots……Suggest U stay in BKK and enjoy as your options in Pattaya will be rather limited.

Jellybean
November 16th, 2021, 23:18
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report and for providing us with so many first-rate photos, vnman. I'm guessing it's just the sort of trip report many of us have been waiting on until we are able to be there in person.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment. :)

I forgot the name of the bar but I will get it tomorrow. If you are a regular poster here and want to know the name and someone who can help you with a reservation, please ask me in a private message. I don't want to get them in trouble.

Excellent advice, given the present circumstances.

francois
November 17th, 2021, 02:45

Not as easy as just picking a number off the stage...so you may need to brush up on your communication skills...get out and around more...try to build a network (get connected)...more doors open ever time. That's the way it works. If that's too much of a task, either use the apps., or send a PM to vnman and he can tell you how to do it.

Are you cheating on your boyfriend, Dodger, or are your posts based on other's experiences? :devilsh:
Afterall, you have said you only enjoy the company of the boyfriend or did I misinterpret your posts?

Gaybutton
November 17th, 2021, 06:28
either use the apps., or send a PM to vnman and he can tell you how to do it.
Why? Why a PM? Is there some secret involved that cannot be included in a post so that we all know what he knows? Is it just some sort of fun to keep it a secret? Is there something illegal involved?

If there is something available in Pattaya that I'm missing, I'd like to know what it is. I don't want to play games or have to figure it out.

vnman
November 17th, 2021, 06:42
Is there something illegal involved?

Are you really asking if a bar that serves alcohol till deep in the night is doing something illegal?

If there is something available in Pattaya that I'm missing, I'd like to know what it is. I don't want to play games or have to figure it out.

That's why you are probably not in the know.

a447
November 17th, 2021, 07:28
At last, a trip report!! Feels just like old times, albeit quite a different experience.

Word of mouth always pays off in these situations.

Well done, vnman.

Keep them coming!

arsenal
November 17th, 2021, 07:41
Wonderful post to read with my morning coffee in bed. Jealous.

Life here is easy, fun and interesting. Since moving to China I've never ached to be in Pattaya the way I did when I lived in the UK. You have a duty to try and change that. Get to it.

Dodger
November 17th, 2021, 11:03
Bangkok reminds me of the early days of Thaksin when bars had to close at 12. There are many other places that are open late with boys and booze, you just have to ask the right people.

Thanks so much for bringing Bangkok to us.

Soi 4 Silom certainly looks like life has returned, and it's so refreshing to see gays sitting together smiling again.

Your dinner at Oishi looks fabulous - and the boys in your pics look even more mouthwatering.

Hopefully the bars in Pattaya will open soon so the Rainbow can be expanded.

Enjoy yourself to the max...as if you need me to tell you that.

Cheers

Dodger
November 17th, 2021, 11:10
Why? Why a PM? Is there some secret involved that cannot be included in a post so that we all know what he knows? Is it just some sort of fun to keep it a secret? Is there something illegal involved?

I provided some advice in my last post which I'm hoping you found useful.

As far as broadcasting specific places to go on a public forum in the current climate, I think I'll take a pass.

You need to get out...connect with people...ask the right questions (like vnman did)...and start your networking.

Hopefully the bars will open soon and things will be easier for you.

Dodger
November 17th, 2021, 11:23
Are you cheating on your boyfriend, Dodger, or are your posts based on other's experiences? :devilsh:
Afterall, you have said you only enjoy the company of the boyfriend or did I misinterpret your posts?

I don't mind sharing my observations in Pattaya with you at all, but my personal life is none of your business.

StevieWonders
November 17th, 2021, 11:32
He can't wait for his daughter to arrive so he can show her his charity work with Pattaya's male prostitutes. Every night a different bar so he can demonstrate how many of them know him intimately.

Patanawet
November 17th, 2021, 12:27

He explained in his message -- he doesn't want to get anyone into trouble.
Do we really think that the authorities do not monitor these boards?
The closing times for restaurants is Bangkok is ten with alcohol sales stopped at nine.

arsenal
November 17th, 2021, 13:45
"He can't wait for his daughter to arrive so he can show her his charity work with Pattaya's male prostitutes. Every night a different bar so he can demonstrate how many of them know him intimately."

Dodgers daughter knows exactly who he is so yes, they'll probably load up on his bike, ride around to meet and discuss the boys and all their assets. Would that you had someone like that in your life and what a different person you might be.

Dodger. When the two of you go bike ridin' an a boy huntin'.....can I come?

Pleeeeaaaase.

Manforallseasons
November 17th, 2021, 13:53

We know each other well, all I will say is once you post about anything on a public forum it is no longer private!

Dodger
November 19th, 2021, 13:35
A List of Requirements for tourists to travel to Thailand is shown in the PattayaOne link below,

Two questions for anyone who may know:

1) What is a T8 Medical Form?
2) What is a Thailand Plus App?

https://pattayaone.news/ready-to-visit-thailand-heres-what-you-need-to-know/