PDA

View Full Version : What's the score on masks?

Old git
October 26th, 2021, 05:50
I don't like wearing a mask - it's not just a simple matter of personal choice - my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.

Looking at recent YouTube videos. I note that almost everyone walking down the Soi in the LoS is wearing one still - so what's the current legal situation?

dab69
October 26th, 2021, 06:47
Usually required on airlines...

How are you planning on arriving?

Gaybutton
October 26th, 2021, 09:47
In Thailand, wearing the mask is still legally required. You are not allowed to be anywhere in public without wearing the mask. Even if it wasn't required, I believe most Thais would still continue wearing the masks. Thais have been very cooperative about it and generally favor wearing the masks for the foreseeable future. Despite the numbers of Covid cases going down, the people are still frightened and are still taking all the precautions.

If you don't wear the mask, along with the hostile stares and people avoiding being anywhere near you, you also will be denied entry into a great many venues. You can't get into a grocery store, a shopping mall, immigration, or virtually anywhere without wearing the mask. Even 7-Elevens will deny you entry without the mask. You also won't be able to take a bus or taxi - and that includes baht buses and motorbike taxis - without wearing the mask. Even hospitals will deny you entry unless it is a true emergency - and then when you get there the first thing they'll do is put a mask on you anyway.

If you cannot wear the mask, I'm sorry, but I think you are going to have to wait quite some time before traveling to Thailand is a good idea.

Patanawet
October 26th, 2021, 12:36
- my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.

Shop around.
I have a 3 layer cloth mask that makes breathing and speaking easy. Bought in Tops but of course that's not an option till you arrive.

Oliver2
October 26th, 2021, 13:18
Yes...I have BP issues too but my worry is that it is more likely to be raised by anxiety caused by those who may be spreading the virus unwittingly by not wearing one! After all, they are there to protect others as much, if not more, than ourselves.

Plenty of options for different masks on ebay. Try some- they aren't expensive- and see which style is the best for you. And if you can find one that doesn't mist-up my spectacles, please let me know.

goji
October 26th, 2021, 14:06
After all, they are there to protect others as much, if not more, than ourselves.

There was a UK report published last year that shows wearing an FFP3 mask dramatically reduces the probability of the wearer catching covid in hospital wards.
They should give more publicity to this, since in the UK, why would anyone wear a mask "to protect others" if 90% of others are already not wearing a mask ? If people were told that a good mask also protected themselves, then wearing a mask makes sense.

I suspect that for many people, objections to wearing a mask are mainly psychological. If we climb up to high altitude (say 3500m or more), the lack of oxygen is really noticeable and can slow one down. However, the body adapts to this.

Even wearing an FFP2 mask, the effect is much less than climbing to altitude. I don't notice any lack of oxygen and don't even notice any increase in breathing rate. Last year, the hotel I stayed in at the end of the trip had a gym, often empty. On some visits to this I was on the exercise bicycle and forgot to take the FFP2 mask off, as it was barely noticeable.

Those far less effective surgical masks must offer almost no obstruction to air flow at all.

I can't comment on people with severe breathing difficulties and have sympathy for the very small percentage of people who might be genuinely unable to wear a mask. However, for the much of the population, I suspect objection to masks must be mainly psychological.

In the UK, lots of people were claiming they were unable to wear a mask, whereas almost everyone manages to wear a mask in Thailand. I doubt that is due to differences in the gene pool.

I'll be wearing FFP3 masks when traveling to Thailand, as I don't want to fail the covid test on arrival. Once that test is passed, I'll probably use FFP2 masks indoors & maybe decorative surgical masks outdoors, just to comply with the rules.
Although a good mask also has the benefit of filtering out PM2.5 particles.

Gaybutton
October 26th, 2021, 15:07
sympathy for the very small percentage of people who might be genuinely unable to wear a mask.

Unfortunately, I think most of you probably know that in Thailand, that won't make any difference. I suppose this is a harsh way of putting it, but it's true - in Thailand either wear the mask or F.O. - even if the police don't catch you without a mask. You can also get in trouble even if you're wearing the mask, but improperly. Some people pull the mask down below their nose. That is a definite no-no. Sometimes they get away with it and sometimes they don't, but either way it's against the rules and that has been specifically stated by the powers-that-be. You're expected to wear the mask properly.

I don't know what people in Old git's situation can do other than find a suitable mask, as suggested in posts above. Either that or take chances with blood pressure - and I doubt anyone needs me to tell that is not a good idea.

I know of no provisions Thailand makes for people unable to wear a mask. What I do know is they are not going to take kindly to farang not wearing a mask, no matter what the reason.

By the way, in Thailand if you wear those cheap blue masks (like I do), you might want to carry 1 or 2 extra with you. The straps easily break.

snotface
October 26th, 2021, 15:40
After a year and a half of the pandemic I still sometimes leave my condo forgetting to put on a mask. Usually I realise within a few seconds and go back. A few days ago I got halfway to Foodmart and then the long hard glare I got from a farang told me something was wrong. I popped into the 7/11 I was passing, hand over mouth, and apologetically explained the situation. The girl assistant produced a pack of three (not that kind of pack) for I think 12 baht and I was back in business. Gaybutton is right: you won't get far in Thailand currently without a mask.

Dodger
October 26th, 2021, 15:49
I don't like wearing a mask - it's not just a simple matter of personal choice - my blood pressure is volatile at the best of times, and wearing a mask sends it into the red zone, so I really need to avoid them.

Looking at recent YouTube videos. I note that almost everyone walking down the Soi in the LoS is wearing one still - so what's the current legal situation?

Good advice from others to find a mask with less resistance which may help.

In the UK people suffering from pulmonary hypertension do not have to wear a mask. But, unfortunately, Thailand isn't sophisticated enough to recognize these factors.

Read about it here:

https://www.phauk.org/support/coronavirus-pulmonary-hypertension/mask-exemption-notice/

Patanawet
October 26th, 2021, 16:08
I don't know what people in Old git's situation can do other than find a suitable mask, as suggested in posts above. Either that or take chances with blood pressure - and I doubt anyone needs me to tell that is not a good idea.

I know of no provisions Thailand makes for people unable to wear a mask. What I do know is they are not going to take kindly to farang not wearing a mask, no matter what the reason.

By the way, in Thailand if you wear those cheap blue masks (like I do), you might want to carry 1 or 2 extra with you. The straps easily break.

I live in central Bangkok and travel by sky train and go into malls several times a week.
In a year or so, I've ever only seen one person without a mask; that was on a sky train and he was accompanied by a member of staff.

Advice now if you're wearing paper masks is to wear two.

As a by the by, I was in 7-11 today and they are selling test kits at 99 Baht.

goji
October 26th, 2021, 16:44
Unfortunately, I think most of you probably know that in Thailand, that won't make any difference. I suppose this is a harsh way of putting it, but it's true - in Thailand either wear the mask or F.O.

I reckon Thailand has got this policy 100% right. Wearing a mask is much easier and more pleasant than catching covid.

I expect the people who are genuinely unable to wear a mask are well below 1% and the widespread compliance in Thailand kind of proves it.
Meanwhile in Britain, for the entire pandemic, people have been allowed not to wear masks if they are "unable to", without needing to provide any proof. So the feckless have been not wearing masks the whole time, in addition to the minority who are genuinely unable to wear one.

If someone has genuine breathing problems when wearing a mask, simply look for the thinnest and most badly fitting mask possible.
A surgical mask without the nose band adjusted ought to do it, although one might need to wear contact lenses, rather than glasses, in order to avoid steaming up.

Wearing a surgical mask with the nose band left straight, I can stick 2 fingers in the gap either side of the nose, which means it's far bigger than the nostrils and not an airflow obstruction.
That might cause steaming for glasses wearers. Putting the mask on upside down creates an airflow path out of the bottom, but of course there is no nose band at the top. The obvious move is to modify a mask by gluing a nose band on the bottom.

I won't be doing this, but it's a solution for those GENUINELY inconvenienced by airflow restrictions & prepared to take the increased risk of catching covid.
I'd expect that is good enough for everyone, but if a mask with no airflow restriction still isn't good enough, then it's probably a mindset issue. In most cases.

Dodger
October 26th, 2021, 17:28
As a by the by, I was in 7-11 today and they are selling test kits at 99 Baht.

Yeh, and if it shows you test positive, throw the fucking thing in the garbage and buy an ice cream cone like everyone else...LOL

Gaybutton
October 26th, 2021, 17:41
Yeh, and if it shows you test positive, throw the fucking thing in the garbage and buy an ice cream cone like everyone else...LOL

I agree. Those cheap test kits are notorious for false positives - false negatives too. Would anyone reading this really rely on the results you get with a 99 baht test kit as accurate?

If you want to test yourself to see if you're sick, you don't need one of those cheap test kits. You need a thermometer . . .

Patanawet
October 27th, 2021, 01:32
If you want to test yourself to see if you're sick, you don't need one of those cheap test kits. You need a thermometer . . .
To see if you have a fever.

Those kits are 40 Baht at GPO pharmacies.

christianpfc
October 27th, 2021, 22:46
Interesting to hear that compliance in Thailand is close to 100%, whereas here in Cambodia 50% estimated. Recently I attended an event for foreigners in Kampot and of about 50 participants, nobody was wearing a mask (neither did I, I only carry one to put on when required or in crowds).

In travels in Vietnam I counted 99% of mocy drivers were wearing helmets, long way to go for Thailand.

From my time in the army, or was it from reports going back decades?, there were stories of partially un-screwing the filter for gas masks to allow air to pass on the side. A filter for a gas mask is indeed a noticeable resistance to air flow. There might be ways to tweak a face mask to look like it's properly working, but allowing all air to flow in and out unfiltered?

francois
October 27th, 2021, 23:46
There might be ways to tweak a face mask to look like it's properly working, but allowing all air to flow in and out unfiltered?

Why would anyone want to negate the effects of a mask?

Manforallseasons
October 28th, 2021, 00:04

Look who you’re asking. Lol

latintopxxx
October 28th, 2021, 01:50
unfortunately in the west we are so aware of our peresonal rights to the detriment of the greater good...if i was king of the world I'd "encourage" the maskless ones to work in a covid ward.

Gaybutton
October 28th, 2021, 07:22
if i was king of the world I'd "encourage" the maskless ones to work in a covid ward.
Very well said. The same ought to be "encouraged" for the anti-vaxers.

Dodger
October 28th, 2021, 08:02
I like wearing my mask.

Sound crazy?...it's the truth.

I go everywhere on my motorbike, and the mask helps block some (not all) of the unspent carbon monoxide fumes from these unmaintained jalopies they drive over here from entering my lungs. Now, before anyone charges to google to see if these masks are 100% effective at blocking carbon monoxide fumes, I'll save you the time and tell you they don't. But the fact that they block some of it is a benefit. My mask also prevents bugs from flying into my mouth when I'm driving at high speeds. Laugh if you want to, but I've swallowed many a strange creature in my years of motorbike riding over here. Come to think of it, I've swallowed many a strange creature when not riding on a motorbike too, but there are just some situations in life where wearing a mask simply doesn't work.

In the past 2 years since I started wearing an N95 mask I have never once even caught a common cold. Very unusual for me, because for years I would routinely catch at least one cold a year, especially around flu season, and I also suffered from sinus infections at least once per year which required prescription strength nasel spray to treat. Since wearing the mask (knock of wood) my annual colds and sinus infections are a thing of the past, and I've never once experienced even a hint of a flu symptom.

The mask has become a very useful tool and will stay with me forever, regardless of what direction covid takes. I'll continue wearing it when I'm riding my motorbike, especially in heavy traffic, and may even continue wearing it when around large crowds of people, especially during flu season...who knows.

dinagam
October 28th, 2021, 08:08
Very well said. The same ought to be "encouraged" for the anti-vaxers.
Caveat emptor

arsenal
October 28th, 2021, 09:45
Mr Dodger.
Far be it from me to disparage your mask success. However I should point out that perhaps the reason you've escaped your annual cold/sinus is because you haven't been around many people and that's because there aren't any people there.

gerefan2
October 28th, 2021, 09:55
I'll continue wearing it when I'm riding my motorbike, .

Me too. I learnt a few years ago to keep it on whilst on the bike.

Have you ever tried using the same mask on the bike for say 3 days? Try it and then have a good look at it.

All that black shit you see would be down your throat...and that’s just 3 days worth!

I too find I don’t get ill so much in Thailand as I used to. Although only a three month millionaire I thought I had become immune to their bugs...but it may be using the mask on the bike that’s helped.

Manforallseasons
October 28th, 2021, 10:24
I know a lot of foreigners that should always wear a mask Covid or not.

snotface
October 28th, 2021, 10:37
In the past 2 years since I started wearing an N95 mask I have never once even caught a common cold. Very unusual for me, because for years I would routinely catch at least one cold a year, especially around flu season, and I also suffered from sinus infections at least once per year which required prescription strength nasel spray to treat. Since wearing the mask (knock of wood) my annual colds and sinus infections are a thing of the past, and I've never once experienced even a hint of a flu symptom.

Dodger in a post of 31st July talking about his exercise and health-supplement regime:

'The last time I was sick (from anything) was when I contacted the flu during our hockey teams last game of the season in 1972. Since then I have not even had a nose snivel. I credit the acidoplulis (probiotic) I was taking for preventing any cases of diarea, urinary track infections, stomach problems, etc. as well as contributing to my strong immune system.'

Manforallseasons
October 28th, 2021, 11:07
They say that giving a couple of drops of bourbon to a parakeet with a cold will also help.

Dodger
October 28th, 2021, 11:24
Mr Dodger.
Far be it from me to disparage your mask success. However I should point out that perhaps the reason you've escaped your annual cold/sinus is because you haven't been around many people and that's because there aren't any people there.

Valid point.

What really throws me is the sinus problem disappearing that I've dealt with since birth. There must be something in the air causing this that the mask blocks.

Anyway, I plan to keep wearing it when I think it's going to be helpful. Air pollution over here is a real problem, especially during the Feb-March timeframe when the farmers do their burning, and it will always be useful when riding the motorbike.

Dodger
October 28th, 2021, 11:47
Dodger in a post of 31st July talking about his exercise and health-supplement regime:

'The last time I was sick (from anything) was when I contacted the flu during our hockey teams last game of the season in 1972. Since then I have not even had a nose snivel. I credit the acidoplulis (probiotic) I was taking for preventing any cases of diarea, urinary track infections, stomach problems, etc. as well as contributing to my strong immune system.'

Fortunately, I've remained just as healthy after this pandemic hit than before it came to town. Yes, I still take a daily probiotic and will continue doing so. The sinus infection that has bothered me since birth is now gone. I attribute this (right or wrong) to wearing a mask. plus the fact that 2 more years have passed without a sniffle.

Dodger
October 28th, 2021, 11:55
Have you ever tried using the same mask on the bike for say 3 days? Try it and then have a good look at it.

All that black shit you see would be down your throat...and that’s just 3 days worth!.

Yes, I noticed the very same thing just a few days after wearing the mask 20 months ago and was shocked.

Now I know why so many Thai policemen who stand around guiding traffic, or ride their motorbikes all day, wear these...well before covid.

And that's just the "black shit" we can see with our eyes. What about the germs (bacteria/viruses, etc.) we can't see?

christianpfc
October 28th, 2021, 20:37
I was providing a possible solution to the OP's dilemma.

...and the mask helps block some (not all) of the unspent carbon monoxide fumes ...But the fact that they block some of it is a benefit.
These masks don't block any carbon monoxide. ZERO! Carbon monoxide goes through these masks like water through a sieve. Anyway, carbon monoxide is not a big problem, it goes in and out of your blood and unless you reach a toxic concentration doesn't cause lasting damage or has an accumulative effect.

Those masks don't block any gases, only particles.

When I was young, I had allergy to pollen that caused me running nose. Sometimes I wore a gas mask (from military, with a filter that is designed to filter out gases, but in this cases I used it just to filter out particles), and my situation improved!

goji
October 28th, 2021, 20:45
The health benefit from wearing a PROPER mask is blocking particles such as PM2.5, which tend to be way above peak levels in the dry season in Thailand. I was sometimes wearing a valved FFP3 mask in Bangkok before covid, when out and about.

Dodger
October 29th, 2021, 08:43
These masks don't block any carbon monoxide. ZERO!!

I understand...N95 masks weren't designed to block any gases at all, but unspent carbon monoxide contains particulates which are not a gas because of inefficient burning in an engines combustion process. And these particulate can be blocked by these masks to some degree. That's where all the "black shit" that gerefan2 and I are describing comes from.

Below is a link to a recent study showing the advantages of wearing an N95 mask relative to the effectives of CO. The conclusion was that of all three types of masks being tested, such as surgical mask, N95 mask, and carbon mask, were effective to reduce CO levels from air pollution - with the most significant being the N95 and carbon mask. Fabric mask has the poorest protection from CO levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7780759/

Manforallseasons
October 29th, 2021, 10:11
Put your money where your mouth is!

https://www.canbuyornot.com/reviews/lg-puricare-wearable-air-filter-2nd-gen-review-price/

Dodger
October 29th, 2021, 10:39
Put your money where your mouth is!

https://www.canbuyornot.com/reviews/lg-puricare-wearable-air-filter-2nd-gen-review-price/

Honestly, for people in a high-risk category, especially those suffering with upper respiratory diseases such as COPD, etc., wearing a filtration system like this would probably be a good idea.

I imagine trying to talk with one of these on would make you sound like Darth Vadar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaBlw1gNWdg

goji
October 29th, 2021, 14:46
unspent carbon monoxide contains particulates which are not a gas because of inefficient burning in an engines combustion process

Carbon monoxide contains one atom of carbon linked to one atom of oxygen and nothing else. It is a gas, with no particulates.

Now whilst exhaust emissions, particularly from Thai vehicles, will also contain particulates, it does not mean that carbon monoxide contains particulates.

A good FFP2 or FFP3 face mask will remove most of the particulates, but none of the carbon monoxide.

latintopxxx
October 29th, 2021, 15:02
..this is like being trapped in a room full of science nerds...help...

Dodger
October 29th, 2021, 16:30

Now whilst exhaust emissions, particularly from Thai vehicles, will also contain particulates, it does not mean that carbon monoxide contains particulates.

It doesn't matter to me where the particles are coming from - as long as they don't get in my lungs.

goji
October 29th, 2021, 18:45
It doesn't matter to me where the particles are coming from - as long as they don't get in my lungs.

On that subject, do you have any air filters in your residence ?

I sort of acquired one in the UK after an ex-tenant abandoned it. Now whilst the air quality here rarely needs it, when there is a problem, such as after the neighbour tried to burn something in the garden, it rapidly reduces the PM2.5 count in the house. As verified by a pocket PM2.5 meter I picked up in Bangkok.

Dodger
October 29th, 2021, 19:07
On that subject, do you have any air filters in your residence ?

No, not yet anyway,

The air quality here in Bang Saray is actually pretty good. It's Jai's cooking with all those chilies that gets to me sometimes

bkkguy
October 29th, 2021, 19:47

that is all well and good for you, but it may make a difference for others, and the helpful nerds are not giving you this information to show off their knowledge, they are trying to stop the spread of miss-information

do you understand and accept the point being made or have the nerds failed in their quest and will you keep saying that carbon monoxide contains particulates and the masks filter out some of this carbon monoxide?

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 08:35

...... will you keep saying that carbon monoxide contains particulates and the masks filter out some of this carbon monoxide?

Based on what I've been reading on the subject the past few days, I actually I think it's best to say it this way..."Breathing carbon monoxide can kill you, and the N95 (or carbon masks) can help reduce the CO you're getting in your lungs". How does that sound?

Now remember, I'm not a chemist by any stretch, but I do know when my mask is turning black there's a reason behind it. Do I really care what that reason is? Not particularly (no pun intended). What is my primary concern? Stopping a deadly contaminant from entering my lungs.

Read the link below if you wish to learn more about this topic yourself. .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7780759/

NitNoi
October 30th, 2021, 11:37
I thought Dodger's CO claim was BS but it contains some truth.
Old style gas masks use activated carbon. Soot in exhaust gas would similarly absorb CO that can be released in the lungs.
This is why the quoted article talks about "EXPIRED" CO.
Sorry for doubting you Dodger :-(

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 11:41
I thought Dodger's CO claim was BS but it contains some truth.
Old style gas masks use activated carbon. Soot in exhaust gas would similarly absorb CO that can be released in the lungs.
This is why the quoted article talks about "EXPIRED" CO.
Sorry for doubting you Dodger :-(

Couldn't have said it better myself...LOL

goji
October 30th, 2021, 15:22
Based on what I've been reading on the subject the past few days, I actually I think it's best to say it this way..."Breathing carbon monoxide can kill you, and the N95 (or carbon masks) can help reduce the CO you're getting in your lungs". How does that sound?

Still inaccurate. There is no "active carbon" in an N95 mask.

The N95(~FFP2) masks are usually made out of polypropylene and are designed to filter particles. The N95 masks do not filter out CO, CO2,O2 or N2.

I'm no expert on this, but even if the mask had activated carbon (which it does not), I'd be very surprised if it removed CO.
Explain that one CO + C = ????

To remove CO, you probably want a platinum catalyst at a few hundred degrees, to oxidize the CO into CO2.

Much better to ignore the CO and wear your N95/FFP2 or better still, N99/FFP3 mask for covid and PM2.5.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 16:27
(Correction: N2 should read N3)

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 19:46
Still inaccurate. There is no "active carbon" in an N95 mask.

Who said there was?

According to what the experts are saying, both the N95 masks and carbon masks can help reduce the CO you're getting in your lungs. No one is saying that N95 masks contain active carbon. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying.

The important point as far as I'm concerned is the fact that N95 masks can in fact help reduce the CO you're getting in your lungs. That's what matters to me.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 19:50
According to what the experts are saying, both the N95 masks and carbon masks can help reduce the CO you're getting in your lungs.

The experts do not say that. If you have evidence of that, please post links.

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 20:34
The experts do not say that. If you have evidence of that, please post links.

The link was already provided in post # 41. Did you bother reading it?

From the words of the experts:

"Conclusion"

"All three type of masks such as surgical mask, N95 mask, and carbon mask were effective to reduce CO levels from air pollution with the most significant was N95 and carbon mask. Fabric mask has the poorest protection from CO levels".

If you have an issue with what the experts are saying then take it up with them,.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 21:04
That report is measuring EXPIRED CO.

We are discussing INHALED CO, which is not the same thing.

The also don't give enough detail to establish if the experiment method is robust or offer any theoretical explanation for the expired CO change measured.

christianpfc
October 30th, 2021, 22:40
Now remember, I'm not a chemist by any stretch,...
But I am a chemist.

The article you quoted is dubious. "Expired CO", do they mean exhaled? I would rather take the article as proof that you can find proof for or against anything on the internet (flat earth, holocaust, aliens, moon landing, you name it).

Activated charcoal works by absorption which is mostly a physical process and works well for some pollutants, but not for CO.

To remove CO at room temperature, there are very specialized filters with complicated metal oxides that oxidize CO to CO2.

Nitrogen in air is N2, oxygen in air is O2, ozone is O3.

Dodger
October 31st, 2021, 08:50
gogi and christian:

Thank you both for sharing your technical expertise on the subject.

Personally, from everything that I've experienced and learned along the way, wearing the N95 face mask in adverse and/or threatening environments pays dividends. As mentioned before, I plan to continue wearing this mask well after this pandemic is over when I feel it's necessary.

If you guys don't agree with the test results regarding the N95's ability to lower CO levels, than that's your prerogative. Maybe you guys are right and the test results are wrong...what the hell do I know.

Seeing as you both appear to be in question about what "Expired CO" is, I have to assume that the experts who use this term frequently in their technical journals and published test results are using this term incorrectly.

In any event, none of this matters to me either. The only thing that concerns me is the masks ability to block at least some of the contaminants in the air to help protect my lungs and prevent the spread of this virus.

In your expert opinions: Does the N95 mask help, or not?

francois
October 31st, 2021, 10:49

In my opinion, masks are of immense help.

Manforallseasons
October 31st, 2021, 10:51
gogi and christian:

Thank you both for sharing your technical expertise
If you guys don't agree with the test results regarding the N95's ability to lower CO levels, than that's your prerogative. Maybe you guys are right and the test results are wrong...what the hell do I know.

Obviously great minds think alike. :D

Dodger
October 31st, 2021, 16:07
When the bars do finally reopen you should consider putting your mask on before getting drunk.

Check out what could happen if you don't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvCe9az11Gc

goji
October 31st, 2021, 16:21

I'm not claiming to be an expert.

By definition, an N95 mask removes 95% of the particulates above 0.3microns, so it definitely helps with particulate pollution.

A coronavirus is apparently between 50 and 140 nM in size, so in theory, it can get through the masks. In practice, I gather they tend to be in the air on very fine droplets of water and can be effectively filtered out to an extent.

If we upgrade to N99/FFP3 masks, it should be even better. Cambridge University Hospitals did a trial and found them to be almost 100% effective. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360
[Search further and the paper can be found]

For my forthcoming trip to Thailand:

1 We get a covid test on arrival and are sent to hospital if failing. That is what I consider to be a bad outcome, when my probability of actually needing treatment is low. Therefore I will wear 3M FFP3 masks when traveling to Thailand & if going anywhere risky in the preceding days.

2 I'll probably mostly wear at least FFP2 masks after that.

3 I might wear the useless surgical masks in any outdoor situations, if pollution levels are low, just to satisfy legal reauirements.

I dislike waste and understand that sensible re-use of masks is just fine for people not working in covid wards. The virus doesn't survive in any quantity for long on the material. Particularly if left in direct sunlight.

As a reminder for anyone thinking of travelling, some airlines tend to specify valveless masks.

Dodger
October 31st, 2021, 17:46
For my forthcoming trip to Thailand:

1 We get a covid test on arrival and are sent to hospital if failing. That is what I consider to be a bad outcome, when my probability of actually needing treatment is low.

Thanks for the information you provided.

Failing the test on arrival would honestly be my greatest fear - all things considered. I imagine those who are fully vaccinated and fail the test would be placed in quarantine...but where?...and how long? What a nightmare scenario.

I, like you, would wear the best mask I could get my hands on during the trip over. I would also carry one of those spray disinfectants to use in the airports and on the planes themselves as an added safeguard. I'm not a paranoid person by nature, but I would take every possible precaution just to be on the safe side.

Oliver2
October 31st, 2021, 22:07
My level of pessimism increases with my age and so I have painfully replicated Dodger's nightmare. Frequently. Others too; but I'll save those for another occasion.

daydreamer
November 1st, 2021, 08:05
Also don't forget to remove your mask before eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HpJAG6ZKEc

Dodger
November 1st, 2021, 09:11
Also don't forget to remove your mask before eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HpJAG6ZKEc

LOL...Too Funny!!!