PDA

View Full Version : New Travel pass:

Blueskytoday
October 19th, 2021, 20:30
I will be curious to know what will be required when applying for the travel pass, i.e. NOT having to purchase airline ticket before approval. Just giving the desired travel dates and other information, passport page photo etc....

goji
October 19th, 2021, 20:49
The CCSA briefing yesterday gave some clues. https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/videos/860439061329793

Reading the top left corner of the slide and listening to the commentary, it seems 6 documents will be required to get the pass.
So from memory, that's about the same number of documents as required for the COE.

So perhaps flight booking is not needed ?

The reference to ASQ/SHA booking makes it look rather like the "Quarantine Free" travel might actually be "Quarantine or Restrictions Until Covid Test is Passed".
Which is not Quarantine Free, but a hell of a lot better than previously.

That would be a missed opportunity, as it would be much more attractive to offer rapid PCR tests.
Or better still, for popular tourist origin countries, have an "approved" test service to swab all the passengers before boarding, so the results are ready before arrival.

Oliver2
October 19th, 2021, 20:57
......but it is still a damn nuisance. My journey usually lasts eighteen hours or so, doorstep to Reception. Now I must add extra time spent in the airport for tests, plus at least twenty four hours somewhere awaiting results and then transport to my hotel. Some may laugh but this is no joke for those of us who are getting-on in years.

I'm not moaning- progress has been made- but I'm a little disappointed.

pong
October 22nd, 2021, 01:27
Its still all completely unclear and spokepersons are all talking different things on different days. IF interested, follow a normal mainstream news site or thai forum.
But the main guy from the TAT=tourist office told that it now means 1 day of quarantaine in a prebooked place-so that the big govmt. can contact you and apparently do their thing.
Even if for myself would have booked in normal times I simply wait and see what the final word will be.
Interestingly tourist-packages are still big on the market here again-the tipical flight+14 days HTL for 999 eur (PHuket or HuaHin) and other reports tell that airlines will not give away free frequent flyer bonus seats to BKK as they want to sell as much/as expensive/ as can do asap.

Manforallseasons
October 22nd, 2021, 01:41
As hopefully some venues will be allowed to reopen sometime in December the requirements are likely to change so you’re be best served to wait till you have an assurance you will have something worthwhile to return to.

Moses
October 22nd, 2021, 01:51
List of countries for ThaiPass has been extended to 46
https://www.facebook.com/prayutofficial/posts/1205627049932908

Allowed destinations in Thailand:

Phuket
Surat Thani
Bangkok
Samut Prakan (Suvarnabhumi airport)
Krabi
Phangnga
Prachuap Khiri Khan (Nong Kae, Hua Hin)
Phetchaburi (Cha-am)
Chon Buri (Pattaya, Bang Lamung, Jomtien, Bang Sare, Koh Sichang, Si Racha)
Ranong (Koh Payam)
Chiang Mai (Muang, Mae Rim, Mae Taeng, Doi Tao)
Loei (Chiang Khan)
Buri Ram (Muang)
Nong Khai (Muang, Si Chiang Mai, Tha Bo, Sangkhom)
Udon Thani (Muang, Na Yoong, Nong Han, Kumphawapi, Ban Dung)
Rayong (Koh Samet)
Trat (Koh Chang)

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2201875/thailand-welcomes-visitors-from-46-countries-from-nov-1

goji
October 22nd, 2021, 03:26
As hopefully some venues will be allowed to reopen sometime in December the requirements are likely to change so you’re be best served to wait till you have an assurance you will have something worthwhile to return to.

December in Thailand: Warm, sunny, boys on Grindr. Shops, restaurants & coffee shops probably open. Massage open. Bars TBC
December at home: Cold, dark & nothing of interest on Grindr

I think travel is worthwhile.

gerefan2
October 22nd, 2021, 04:18
Why is it that expats are so anti visitors?

Its not just this board, but others as well ...

What is the problem??

cdnmatt
October 22nd, 2021, 05:16
In other words, as per-usual, nobody has any clue whatsoever as to what's going on.

Dodger
October 22nd, 2021, 08:37

Its not just this board, but others as well ...

What is the problem??

Some of the expats I talk to over here (not all) are not thrilled with visitors returning for several reasons: Risk of more covid, heavier traffic, higher levels of air and water pollution, return of the monster smoke-belching tour buses, public places that will become more crowded increasing the risk of covid, etc., etc.

To be brutally honest, the only people who seem delighted about tourists returning are those who want their $$money$$.

francois
October 22nd, 2021, 09:37
Without tourists Pattaya is a dead zone and will only get progressively worse.

arsenal
October 22nd, 2021, 09:45
"Some of the expats I talk to over here (not all) are not thrilled with visitors returning for several reasons: Risk of more covid, heavier traffic, higher levels of air and water pollution, return of the monster smoke-belching tour buses, public places that will become more crowded increasing the risk of covid, etc., etc.

To be brutally honest, the only people who seem delighted about tourists returning are those who want their $$money$$"

As has been proven. No tourists equals no.Pattaya. Besides, there are loads of other quieter beach towns in Thailand to retire to.

Oliver2
October 22nd, 2021, 13:48
The antipathy predates Covid. I remember one expat blaming us for driving-up the price of a MB. That was enough to make us unwelcome in his eyes. Oddly enough, he had a financial interest in a bar....

goji
October 22nd, 2021, 14:23

Have to say, even as a visitor I didn't miss the Chinese tour buses belching out black smoke etc.

No tourists equals no.Pattaya. Besides, there are loads of other quieter beach towns in Thailand to retire to.
Now that's a key point.
Any Pattaya resident who doesn't like hordes of tourists can move to a quieter town. Plenty of choice.
I suspect the residents choose Pattaya because of all the facilities, but it needs tourists to sustain those facilities.

Getting back to the thread topic: The travel pass is supposed to be ready for people arriving on 1 November. The website is still not open for applications, just 9 days before the pass is needed by anyone arriving on 1 Nov.
Apparently it is supposed to be: www.thailandpass.go.th

Dodger
October 22nd, 2021, 17:09
Any Pattaya resident who doesn't like hordes of tourists can move to a quieter town.

Not really an issue for Pattaya residents, because they'll never see hordes of tourists again in their life times.

Personally, I'd be satisfied just to see a moderate flow of tourists - just enough to keep the gay scenes active and boys around. I imagine a lot of other expats feel the same. We all want to see our friends again, so don't get me wrong, but those tour buses and flocks of Chinese are detested by everyone.

For the expats (including me) this is our home, and you'll find that the majority who live here are just as concerned about the safety and well-being of their home environment as the tourists are about their home environments. This is just human nature.

arsenal
October 22nd, 2021, 17:33
Top 6 reasons to hate the tour busses.
1. Take up.huge amounts of space.
2. Responsible for the decision to destroy Bali Hai to build a car park.
3. Slow the traffic down to a standstill.
4. They disgorge pond life with screaming and megaphone.
5. They spend virtually nothing locally.
6. The occupants behaviour is considered disgusting by the rest of the world.

goji
October 22nd, 2021, 18:00
Top 6 reasons to hate the tour busses.
1. Take up.huge amounts of space.
2. Responsible for the decision to destroy Bali Hai to build a car park.
3. Slow the traffic down to a standstill.
4. They disgorge pond life with screaming and megaphone.
5. They spend virtually nothing locally.
6. The occupants behaviour is considered disgusting by the rest of the world.My main reasons to hate them are belching out black smoke, often when idling to keep the aircon running whilst their customers are doing the tour. Oh, and the buses are always never more than half full, which is inefficient.

Regarding the occupants, if they are that objectionable, I'd be interested to hear comments on what it's like living in the country which they typically originate from ?
What I do know is the students China sends abroad seem to be quite well behaved, however that population sample has some quality filters.

Apologies to the moderators for taking this off topic. The Travel Pass is an important topic for travelers, once it is up and running. Therefore deserving a thread of it's own.

For the expats (including me) this is our home, and you'll find that the majority who live here are just as concerned about the safety and well-being of their home environment as the tourists are about their home environments. This is just human nature.I would say some tourists are more concerned about these issues than the locals.

arsenal
October 22nd, 2021, 18:48
There's a whole thread on that question Goji.

Dodger
October 23rd, 2021, 08:14
I would say some tourists are more concerned about these issues than the locals.

Yes, but there's not much we can do about that.

I've spent a hell of a lot more time coming here as a tourist than living here as a resident, and all I can tell you is that the only thing on my mind when I arrived here on holiday was SEX, e.g. Beer...Bars...Boys, not necessarily in that order. That last thing I was concerned with was problems related to Pattaya's infrastructure and/or environment. Now that I live here these things matter a bit more.