PDA

View Full Version : Bars to Open on December 1st ???

Dodger
October 12th, 2021, 09:47
According to what the PM announced on TV last night, the bars and entertainment venues are being considered for reopening on December 1st. Fully vaccinated tourists from low risk countries don't have to quarantine: Low risk countries include the UK, USA, Germany, and others.

Hopefully these plans will become official in time for tourists to book their trips during the holiday season.

Lets' all make the sign of the cross...wai to Buddha...or whatever else it takes for this to happen.

Story below:

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-lifts-quarantine-nov-1-alcohol-in-bars-and-restaurants-dec-1-375347

Patanawet
October 12th, 2021, 14:40
As I said in another thread.
These are the dictators suggestion to be put to the CCSA meeting on Thursday.
Also he didn't mention the curfew -- or did he?

Old git
October 12th, 2021, 15:12
The timeline is faster than I had dared to hope for. I had expected an element of 'wait and see' after reducing the quarantine period, not least because the ASQ regime had the sticky finger marks of senior government members on the make all over it, who would, I assumed, want to milk it for as long as possible.

One assumes that with the resumption of normal tourism on the cards, the airlines will want to restore their services again. I have a contact who has strong family links to Thai - am making some enquiries..

Edit: Word from Thai is that they are so short of funds they will wait to see the booking numbers on other airlines before pledging to restore those flights that are currently not operating.

Gaybutton
October 12th, 2021, 16:11
As I said in another thread.
Also he didn't mention the curfew -- or did he?
I didn't see anything about it, although it would be pointless to let the bars and entertainment venues open if they all would still have to close by 9:00pm to meet a curfew deadline.

But before everyone gets all excited and immediately starts making bookings, I wouldn't expect much bar action all that soon. It is one thing if the bars can reopen. It is quite another as to how soon and how many will reopen. Some bar owners might want to wait to see how many foreigners really will go to Thailand right away. They also will have to recruit staff. Again, most of the boys returned to their home provinces long ago and have been virtually without money ever since. Just to go to Pattaya and work in the bars means they need bus fare to get to Pattaya, money to rent a room, money to eat, money for necessities, etc. I don't know where that money is supposed to come from. Don't forget how it works in Thailand. They work a full month before getting paid a single baht.

And we don't even know yet how many bars survived to be able to reopen at all.

Once the bars reopen, I hope customers will take the boys off and tip them very well. This won't be the right time to go to Thailand and then try to save money by being cheap with the boys. I hope we're not going to see much of nursing the same drink for two hours and then leaving without even a tip.

I suggest keeping your flies zipped until we have some answers. Especially with more expensive airfare, I wouldn't want to make a major holiday trip until I am sure the reasons why I am going are open and running smoothly.

Before packing your bags, I suggest reading Barry Kenyon's October 12 article: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/happy-thai-christmas-to-vaccinated-tourists-but-entry-hurdles-remain-in-place-375351

Old git
October 12th, 2021, 16:18
I suspect Issan families will have a whip round for the bus fares - they need the bar revenue desperately..

vnman
October 12th, 2021, 16:55
Lets' all make the sign of the cross...wai to Buddha...or whatever else it takes for this to happen.

Well, I hope for those that want to go that it all works out. I'm going to give Thailand a hard pass for now. I can do without Thai food for another 6 months. I'll be back when I get the all-clear from friends who experienced it.

Oliver2
October 12th, 2021, 21:03
Yes...one of the reasons I'm waiting a few months( God-willing, not as many as six!) is that I want to read detailed (OK, and sexy) reports from intrepid travellers.

After they've returned home safely and virus-free.

arsenal
October 12th, 2021, 21:13
Well if everyone has the same attitude as vnman and Oliver then it will still be the same six months from now won't it.

goji
October 12th, 2021, 21:35
Well if everyone has the same attitude as vnman and Oliver then it will still be the same six months from now won't it.

Thankfully different people have different attitudes.
Some board members intend to arrive in Thailand within the next 2 months, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Also, deleting quarantine ought to see some kind of increase in numbers from last winter.

Is anyone who didn't go last year up for it this time ? [If they have (for example) Phuket style 7 day sandbox, the 7500 baht covid insurance and a few incidental testing costs. If it's like last year, some of the extra expenses would be partially offset by some good hotel rates.]

vnman
October 12th, 2021, 22:12

It's interesting that you think that our attitude is what's slowing down improvement. Personally, I think it's the Thai government and how they handled this COVID nightmare. There is a whole big world out there where you can go without any bureaucratic hoops to jump through, so why would I take the risk to go to Thailand?

Even opening up the country has to be as complicated as can be. Vaccinated people from 10 countries... are you serious?

They have broken their own system with a lot of unnecessary restrictions. To the Thais, I have never been more than a customer, and as such, I'd like to purchase a good product. At the moment they cannot produce this and until they can, I have other places I can go.

I assume you and Goji will be there in December or January?

arsenal
October 13th, 2021, 00:05
Hopefully. In my mind I'd like to be able to go by Feb 28th. That's exactly 2 years since I left. The problem I have is that as it stands, foreigners are not allowed to enter China so until that changes I'm stuck.

DonMuang
October 13th, 2021, 02:38

Au contraire!
If everyone had this attitude, it would end this nonsense much quicker

Dodger
October 13th, 2021, 12:17
Yes...one of the reasons I'm waiting a few months( God-willing, not as many as six!) is that I want to read detailed (OK, and sexy) reports from intrepid travellers.

If I were in the same situation this is probably the same approach I would take, for the mere fact that you just can't believe anything the powers-to-be release in the media..

As long as there were no quarantines, and at least the beaches and massage parlors were open, it would work for me. The apps are loaded with available boys, and there's always boys around even with the bars being closed. Beats a stick in the eye.

When they do actually allow the bars to reopen it will be a gradual process for the obvious reasons, but my bet is that at least a dozen boy bars in Jomtien Complex will reopen almost immediately, which could be the spark that reignites the gay nightlife in Pattaya. Could be wrong...could be right.

Many bar owners are remaining positive - why don't we remain positive along with them.

Gaybutton
October 13th, 2021, 14:05
Many bar owners are remaining positive

They are? I don't know that. Where are you getting that from?

Dodger
October 13th, 2021, 15:36
They are? I don't know that. Where are you getting that from?

I'm getting this first-hand by talking to bar staff and several bar owners during my frequent visits to the gay areas. I was just in the Complex this morning and had a nice conversation with the staff at Home Bar, as well as a boy who works at M2M. I'm hearing the same thing I've been hearing for months now: The majority of bar owners in the Complex are definitely geared to reopen as soon as the green light is given, thus the reason these bars are constantly being cleaned and maintained in a state-of-readiness.

I had a long conversation with the owner of Green Chairs Bar/Sunee last Wednesday who has the same plans. (deleted) Bear and Mak at Nice Boys have told me they plan to do the same. I talked to 3 boys who were cleaning inside Winner Bar/Sunee last week as well and they said the same thing.

I visit these areas frequently just for this very purpose and speak directly to the people involved.

I have had no direct communications with staff or bar owners in Boyztown in quite some time.

Gaybutton
October 13th, 2021, 15:47
I'm getting this first-hand by talking to bar staff and several bar owners during my frequent visits to the gay areas.

Excellent. First hand knowledge is always the most reliable. If they do reopen as hoped and do well, I think that would encourage other bar owners to go ahead and reopen rather than wait to see which way the wind blows.

Have they said anything about what kinds of restrictions are going to be imposed?

Dodger
October 13th, 2021, 15:59
Have they said anything about what kinds of restrictions are going to be imposed?

The reason I have never asked anyone this question, is because there is no way that they would know that at this juncture.

Of course, everyone is hoping for the best, but the way the government works (as you well know) it's anyone's guess right now.

My guess, for the plug nickel it's worth, is that the bars will probably have to follow the same safety protocol as all other businesses, e.g. safe distancing, masks, etc., and possibly "vaccination certificate verification" at some point. Just a wild guess.

Old git
October 13th, 2021, 16:32
I'm getting this first-hand by talking to bar staff and several bar owners during my frequent visits to the gay areas. I was just in the Complex this morning and had a nice conversation with the staff at Home Bar, as well as a boy who works at M2M. I'm hearing the same thing I've been hearing for months now: The majority of bar owners in the Complex are definitely geared to reopen as soon as the green light is given, thus the reason these bars are constantly being cleaned and maintained in a state-of-readiness.

I do hope that optimism spreads elsewhere - I had a report from Hua Hin yesterday - the main Bintabaht bar area is looking totally abandoned. No maintenance, no preparation and weeds in the street..

Dodger
October 13th, 2021, 17:19
I had a report from Hua Hin yesterday - the main Bintabaht bar area is looking totally abandoned. No maintenance, no preparation and weeds in the street..

As much as it pains me to say this, the Boyztown area looks much the same as you're describing.

Many of the bars and other small businesses on Pattayaland sois 2 and 3 have been vacated and/or boarded up. Very depressing to say the least. Hard to see what the future holds for them.

goji
October 13th, 2021, 17:37
Just for comparison:

In the UK, pubs and bars were allowed to open for outdoor service back in April.
If I remember correctly, indoor service with restrictions was on 17 May.
Full opening for indoor and outdoor service was on 19 July.

For calibration, Thailand has now delivered almost 62 million vaccine doses, which is where the UK was on 25th May.

Obviously there's a slight difference in government attitude to bars.

Oliver2
October 13th, 2021, 20:49
I suspect that there will be consolidation; and it is quite possible it would have happened- more slowly of course- without Covid. The JC is in the process of taking over from Boyztown and Sunee. That's where the MBs and punters will end up.

Recent Youtube footage provides a pointer; JC is empty but apparently habitable (with its new roof) while BT is boarded-up and disfigured by rubbish. Even the sign near Panorama is covered. Very sad. Happy memories.

Manforallseasons
October 13th, 2021, 21:37
I have gotten over mourning the lose of Sunee several years ago and also Boystown a couple of years ago. I occasionally walk through the complex but rarely if ever do I sit anywhere as it is really not my cup of tea. I have some interest in seeing what becomes of nice Boys and quite less interest in Wiinner. Nice Boys began to lose some of its allure as hardly if ever in recent years did any new faces appear as the regular boys got long in the tooth. I would like to believe that if N.B. reopens they will have some new boys as many of the old timers have moved on and the bar has a poor history of recruiting new talent.

Old git
October 13th, 2021, 22:33
Nice Boys began to lose some of its allure as hardly if ever in recent years did any new faces appear as the regular boys got long in the tooth. I would like to believe that if N.B. reopens they will have some new boys as many of the old timers have moved on and the bar has a poor history of recruiting new talent.

This often happens with straight bars as well - the 'working' staff gain effective control of a bar and form a close gang that stays together for years - gradually aging and taking less care of the clientele as they do so.

Dodger
October 14th, 2021, 10:29

The JC is in the process of taking over from Boyztown and Sunee. That's where the MBs and punters will end up.

Recent Youtube footage provides a pointer; JC is empty but apparently habitable (with its new roof) while BT is boarded-up and disfigured by rubbish. Even the sign near Panorama is covered. Very sad. Happy memories.

Yes, the consolidation (migration) you see towards Jomtien Complex (JC) really started back in 2016 - at a time when we started seeing increase in Chinese tourists frequenting Boyztown, and Sunee Plaza was on a downhill spiral.

I used to live in JC (above what is now M2M Bar) back when both Boyztown and Sunee were in full swing, and rarely, if ever, visited the JC bars. Now, with this consolidation we're talking about being almost complete, JC will most likely be the center hub for gay nightlife in Pattaya as you eluded to, at least for the foreseeable future.

Interesting that the roof and gutter installation, misc. infrastructure investments, and the renaming of the Complex, all occurred after the pandemic started and businesses were down. The fact that the majority of bars in JC remain poised to reopen ASAP should come as no real surprise to anyone.

The next major challenge facing the bar owners is drawing enough customers to support the operations. i.e., re-staffing of personnel, building (rebuilding) of inventories, and possibly paying back-rent (if required). Obviously, this will be a long incremental process completely dictated by tourist-flow until they are all fully operational again. At least that's the way this thing seems to be unfolding.

Oliver2
October 14th, 2021, 13:38
Employing Thai guys? or is that a thing of the past? We occasionally have a drink in JC and everyone seems to be from Cambodia or Laos. Nothing wrong with them, of course but are Thais MBs now restricted to massage and the apps?

a447
October 14th, 2021, 14:14
I wonder whatever happened to the Bamboo Bar just down from JC near the beach.

I have offed some hunky masculine guys there over the years. We went around the corner to a short time hotel rather than go back to the Ambiance Hotel in Boyztown.

Dodger
October 14th, 2021, 14:39
The Bamboo Bar is still there - and will hopefully reopen in Dec if the Gods are with us.

There was a boy there named Ball who was more my type....a bit mince (don't ask). Tall for a Thai...a real doll...nicest ass this side of the Mississippi...and switched from baritone to soprano in bed.

Moses
October 14th, 2021, 15:09
The Bamboo Bar is still there - and will hopefully reopen in Dec if the Gods are with us.

There was a boy there named Ball who was more my type....a bit mince (don't ask). Tall for a Thai...a real doll...nicest ass this side of the Mississippi...and switched from baritone to soprano in bed.

I make stops in Bamboo quite often - owner fluently speak Russian

goji
October 14th, 2021, 15:18
are Thais MBs now restricted to massage and the apps?

On the last trip, I offed just 2 guys from the bars, both were Thai and worked at Winner.

Much more trade was done on line, as has been the case in recent years. Back in 2015, all my meet ups were with lads working at bars, but now I get better results on the apps.

Considering apps, bars and massage combined, the nationalities met on the most recent trip were: Lao 27%, Khmer 35 % and Thai 38% (approximately). That was with border restrictions in place.
I do tend to choose slim lads & that is likely to influence the result, as the first thing I notice when crossing the border into Cambodia or Laos is how slim their people are.

0% from Vietnam, Myanmar and the Philippines.

Old git
October 14th, 2021, 15:36
There is a YouTube video, said to have been made last Friday, showing a few girl bars open in Hua Hin's Soi 80 area, replete with girls and beer. Early curfew seems to be observed however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rder9H-cw

Patanawet
October 14th, 2021, 17:43
I make stops in Bamboo quite often - owner fluently speak Russian

Is that Bamboo himself who can speak Russian or his boyfriend/partner whom I assumed was Icelandic or Dutch but could well be Russian.
The boyfriend, I wish I could remember his name, was always very friendly and generous with drinks.
Bamboo also owned various premises around Jomtien and in another life had a girly bar in Bangkok's Soi Cowboy.
I look forward to going back when he can re-open.

cdnmatt
October 15th, 2021, 01:15
Isn't this the same government that said Pattaya will be open Oct 1st?

I'm planning mid 2022 myself for Laos.

Dodger
October 16th, 2021, 08:50
I received more feedback yesterday from some of the gay bars.

I spoke with a well-dressed Thai man who had just exited Dorothy's Show Bar in JC (not sure if he was the owner or not) and asked him the golden question. He said they hope to reopen as early as next month but may have to wait until December to serve alcohol. No surprise there. He said the new establishment will have nightly cabaret shows similar to M2M and The Venue.

I spoke with the waiter at Home Bar again just because he was sitting there alone (and he's cute as hell). He said they (Home Bar) will revert back to a bar with host boys as soon as they receive the green light.

I heard from the owner of Green Chairs Bar/Sunee, as well as a friend who lives in the area, that Mama Lek also plans to reopen on December 1st.

So far so good, at least for Jomtien Complex and the skeleton that's left of Sunee.

I still have no direct information regarding Boyztown bars, but the place is looking more dilapidated every day. Hard to predict what the future has in store...Not a pretty sight.

Nirish guy
October 16th, 2021, 16:33
Boyztown bars......the place is looking more dilapidated every day....Not a pretty sight.

Maybe grab a pic or two when next passing and share with us, just to let us see too......hmm or maybe such a sad sight maybe not ! But yeah, go for it.....

arsenal
October 16th, 2021, 17:12
Well actually Boyztown looks dilapidated and deserted even in normal times during the day. 24 hours maximum to be up and running again whenever the demand is there. This is Thailand and on this occasion that's a good thing.

Dodger
October 17th, 2021, 07:42
Maybe grab a pic or two when next passing and share with us, just to let us see too......hmm or maybe such a sad sight maybe not ! But yeah, go for it.....

I had my camera sitting next to the door with battery charged to address your request, but, unfortunately, it's been raining cat n' dogs non-stop all morning. I avoid buzzing around the bay on my motorbike in the rain - so I'll try again tomorrow morning.

If there's any particular shots you'd like me to capture just let me know. I'll try to get a few shots in each of the gay areas at a minimum.

Patanawet
October 17th, 2021, 17:38
I still have no direct information regarding Boyztown bars, but the place is looking more dilapidated every day. Hard to predict what the future has in store...Not a pretty sight.
I can't imagine Boyztown without David Kerridge.

francois
October 17th, 2021, 20:31
I received more feedback yesterday from some of the gay bars.

I spoke with a well-dressed Thai man who had just exited Dorothy's Show Bar in JC (not sure if he was the owner or not) and asked him the golden question. He said they hope to reopen as early as next month but may have to wait until December to serve alcohol. No surprise there. He said the new establishment will have nightly cabaret shows similar to M2M and The Venue.

I spoke with the waiter at Home Bar again just because he was sitting there alone (and he's cute as hell). He said they (Home Bar) will revert back to a bar with host boys as soon as they receive the green light.

I heard from the owner of Green Chairs Bar/Sunee, as well as a friend who lives in the area, that Mama Lek also plans to reopen on December 1st.

So far so good, at least for Jomtien Complex and the skeleton that's left of Sunee.

A well dressed Thai man; a waiter; and Mama Lek; very reputable sources of information on the reopening?
Until there is an official announcement, all their opinions are wishful thinking although I do hope their thinking is correct.

Dodger
October 18th, 2021, 11:47
A well dressed Thai man; a waiter; and Mama Lek; very reputable sources of information on the reopening?
Until there is an official announcement, all their opinions are wishful thinking although I do hope their thinking is correct.

I’m not sure I can totally agree with you.

The bars being discussed have been making concerted efforts to stay afloat, and doing so by maintaining their bars even when closed and remaining poised to reopen, are doing so by making decisions, and acting on those decisions based on conviction, which is Positive Thinking. In contrast, wishful thinking is just believing in belief.

I also wouldn’t be so quick to discard opinions coming from people who work in these bars. I can usually get more useful information from a taxi driver than I would if I were talking to the owner of the taxi company.

Manforallseasons
October 18th, 2021, 14:24
Some bars maybe taking steps to reopen in December however, the infection rate will dictate wether or not they reopen not wishful thinking.

Dodger
October 18th, 2021, 14:54
Some bars maybe taking steps to reopen in December however, the infection rate will dictate wether or not they reopen not wishful thinking.

Everyone, including bar owners, staff, patrons, TAT, the city council, etc. are all hoping for the same thing - that the infection rates can be controlled so these businesses can reopen and stay open. No argument there.

Covid has had 20 months to rule-the-roost and I think it's time for people to start putting things back into motion. I just wish a higher percentage of people over here were vaccinated, but, it is what it is.

Old git
October 18th, 2021, 16:01
Everyone, including bar owners, staff, patrons, TAT, the city council, etc. are all hoping for the same thing - that the infection rates can be controlled so these businesses can reopen and stay open. No argument there.

Covid has had 20 months to rule-the-roost and I think it's time for people to start putting things back into motion. I just wish a higher percentage of people over here were vaccinated, but, it is what it is.

The easiest way to reduce the infection rate is to stop counting them. Quietly, unofficially, I'm pretty sure a lot of countries are not proactively counting cases now.

arsenal
October 18th, 2021, 16:40
"The easiest way to reduce the infection rate is to stop counting them. Quietly, unofficially, I'm pretty sure a lot of countries are not proactively counting cases now."

Yep. Not a bad idea. The UK had 40000 cases the other day and just carried on as normal.

goji
October 18th, 2021, 17:26
The easiest way to reduce the infection rate is to stop counting them. Quietly, unofficially, I'm pretty sure a lot of countries are not proactively counting cases now.

If Thailand is still running the policy of sending everyone who fails a covid test to a "field hospital", then that is proactively discouraging people from getting tested.
If you're vaccinated & have very mild symptoms, are you going to stay at home or get a test and risk incarceration in a hospital ?

bkkguy
October 18th, 2021, 19:49

if we are going to start "living with COVID" then new infections is probably not the best metric to focus on anyway - new hospital admissions and new ICU/ventilator numbers are a much better indicator of how well a country is coping, and if vaccination rates and social measures are working these figures should be decoupled from new infection rates anyway.

Old git
October 18th, 2021, 20:21
if we are going to start "living with COVID"

So few people are getting it a second time, it may not be able to remain endemic in the human population, and may well die out. The trouble with that is that sets in store a possible re-run in fifty years time. With a bit of luck it will become endemic in the animal kingdom, occasionally breaking out amongst children, mostly asymptomatically.

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:13
As promised, pics taken this morning around the gay venues in Pattaya. Will show on separate posts.

Below:

Soi Day/Night Massage (next to Tukcom)
Green Chair Bar Owner (Sunee Plaza) - poised to reopen.
Guy Guy Boy Bar - Jomtien Complex - poised to reopen.

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:20
Pic's continued:

Dorothy's Show Bar - Jomtien Complex - poised to reopen
Sun Bar - Jomtien Complex - poised to reopen
Home Bar - Jomtien Complex - poised to revert back to beer bar and reopen

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:27
Pics continued:

The Venue - Jomtien Complex
Jomtien Complex Massage - Open
Salt & Pepper - Bordeaux Restaurants Soi Day/Night - Open

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:41
Pics continued:

Jomtien Complex
Little Planet Restaurant - Soi Day/Night
Nice Boys Gogo - Sunee Plaza
Winner Boys Bar - Sunee Plaza

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:53
Pics continued:

Sun Bar - Jomtien Complex - poised to reopen
Boyztown - status unknown
Panorama/Boyztown - status unknown
Ambiance Restaurant - Boyztown - status unknown

Dodger
October 19th, 2021, 17:57
Note, that in the pics above, the covered signs in some of the Boyztown bars is not an indication that they are closed for good. Signs in certain jurisdictions in Pattaya must be covered by the owner(s) by law to prevent being taxed.

a447
October 19th, 2021, 18:46
Great photos, Dodger.

Thanks for making the effort for us.

Seeing all those empty venues is really sad, but I live in hope that things will improve by April next year, in time for the border in and out of Western Australia to be open.

Oliver2
October 19th, 2021, 20:50
Much appreciated.

Incidentally, I've just received an email from The Agate saying that they expect to open on 15th November. Other hotels likewise, perhaps?

Dodger
October 20th, 2021, 08:14
Correction to Post # 47.

I entered the name "Guy Guy Bar" in error. The bar in the pic is "Adonis" which is next door to Guy Guy.

Dodger
October 20th, 2021, 08:19
Much appreciated.

Incidentally, I've just received an email from The Agate saying that they expect to open on 15th November. Other hotels likewise, perhaps?

I haven't spoke with any hotel owners and don't know.

I assume others will be reopening during this fourth quarter as well, but you would be best to check with them directly (if possible).

Manforallseasons
October 20th, 2021, 09:53
Mosaic never closed they only have a few rooms occupied by long term expats, it was always popular as it was well situated to Sunee and Boystown however, I imagine for the few brave souls attempting to come hotels near the complex would be preferable.

homeseeker
October 22nd, 2021, 07:03
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2201875/thailand-welcomes-visitors-from-46-countries-from-nov-1

So have i understood this correctly:

Bars(and alcohol sales) not allowed before 1st December. but Thailand to open the tourist floodgates on 1st November?

Dodger
October 22nd, 2021, 08:19
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2201875/thailand-welcomes-visitors-from-46-countries-from-nov-1

So have i understood this correctly:

Bars(and alcohol sales) not allowed before 1st December. but Thailand to open the tourist floodgates on 1st November?

Yes, floodgates open Nov 1. Bars open/alcohol sales hopefully after Dec 1 - but not confirmed.

Nirish guy
October 22nd, 2021, 15:49
Yes, floodgates open Nov 1..

Based on where the rest of the world is at too just now you might find that that is perhaps more of a trickle than a flood, certainly that the start at least perhaps. I wouldn't be going and popping any champagne corks JUST yet maybe.

vnman
October 22nd, 2021, 23:55
I just wish a higher percentage of people over here were vaccinated, but, it is what it is.

Our vaccination rate is 83% in the Netherlands. We have 20% of Thailand's population but 50% of their daily new infections.

When I look at the different countries in the world and how they handle this pandemic, I can honestly say that I've lost the plot.

dab69
October 23rd, 2021, 08:25
https://www.pattayamail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Farang-Affairs-Thailand-Reopens-No-Alcohol-No-Go-Go-Bars.jpg

Dodger
October 29th, 2021, 16:56
It doesn't look good for Pattaya.

Jai just translated the PM speaking on TV at a news brief this afternoon where he apparently unveiled the plan.

Only four areas in Thailand (coded blue) will have alcohol bans lifted and Pattaya isn't one of them. Jai said the PM mentioned Phuket, Bangkok (certain districts), Pang nga and Krabi.

I hope Jai was misinterpreting this.

aot871
October 29th, 2021, 18:42
It's OK with opening the bars but unless the tourists start returning in large numbers , the expats cant keep them all going

Gaybutton
October 29th, 2021, 19:49
Only four areas in Thailand (coded blue) will have alcohol bans lifted and Pattaya isn't one of them.

Let's see - the Pattaya bars can open December 1, but can't serve alcohol? Really?

If they actually do this, is anyone having any trouble figuring out the next item to be placed on my "I Don't Get It" list?

I don't suppose there was any word on why the alcohol ban won't be lifted, was there - or when it will be lifted?

If it actually does happen this way - I would think every bar owner in all of Pattaya plus their employees will be raising holy hell.

I find it very difficult to believe this really is going to happen. It makes no sense. In my opinion, from among the most incredibly inexplicable decisions I've ever seen Thailand make, this one would definitely have a place in the top ten.

gerefan2
October 29th, 2021, 20:50

Jai just translated the PM speaking on TV at a news brief this afternoon where he apparently unveiled the plan.

Only four areas in Thailand (coded blue) will have alcohol bans lifted and Pattaya isn't one of them. Jai said the PM mentioned Phuket, Bangkok (certain districts), Pang nga and Krabi.

I think we need to make sure exactly what the position is from a trusted source, like Richard Barrow, before hyperventilating.(No offence Dodger)

gerefan2
October 29th, 2021, 21:51
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/curfew-alcohol-ban-to-be-lifted-in-bangkok-other-provinces-from-nov-1/

Seems you can drink in EATERIES ONLY from 1 NOVEMBER, but, as Dodger says, Pattaya is not on the list.

Only BKK Phuket Krabi and Phang-Nga.

No mention of bars.

Jellybean
October 29th, 2021, 21:55

This is the latest update from the Bangkok Post confirming the above information posted by Dodger . . .

Bangkok booze ban to be lifted

'Blue zone' tourism designation for four provinces means alcohol can be sold in restaurants from Monday

published : 29 Oct 2021 at 17:39 writer: Online Reporters

Restaurants in Bangkok will be allowed to sell alcohol starting on Monday, as the capital has been designated a "blue" tourist zone with fewer Covid restrictions, alongside Krabi, Phangnga and Phuket.

But even as authorities prepare to ease up on some Covid rules, they are taking steps to keep anti-government protesters at bay as the reopening to international visitors approaches.

An announcement published on the Royal Gazette on Friday bans any public gathering "in a manner that could spread the virus". Violators face two years' imprisonment and/or a fine of not more than 40,000 baht. The announcement, signed by Gen Chalermpol Srisawasdi as head of a Covid-19 team, takes effect on Monday . . .

For the full article see: Bangkok Post (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2206323/bangkok-booze-ban-to-be-lifted)

Nirish guy
October 29th, 2021, 21:56
Let's see - the Pattaya bars can open December 1, but can't serve alcohol? Really?.

Perhaps we're all missing the point and the Thai government aren't so daft after all as perhaps they're working off that well trotted out "fact"? that there's MUCH more profit on soft drinks than there is on alcohol and in fact bar owners would and should be delighted if we were all sitting drinking nothing but Coke all night ( personally I doubt that whole more profit thing and who wants to drink 6 pints of coke on a night out .....but still)

So MAYBE this is their serious attempt at quickly and vastly increasing the profits in all of the tills in the bars they had to close right across Thailand !
( note my tongue is firmly lodged in my cheek as I type this as the phrase piss up and brewery and couldn't organise comes to mind quicker perhaps :) )

gerefan2
October 29th, 2021, 22:07
Maybe this explains it

goji
October 29th, 2021, 23:55
Why is Bangkok IN and Pattaya OUT of the "Blue Covid Zone"*.

Is there any fundamental reason, like higher per capita infection rates in Pattaya ? Or is it just that the powers that be dislike Pattaya and will keep the squeeze on for as long as possible ? From what I recall, Pattaya was treated more harshly than Bangkok with the red zoning earlier in the year, if looking at infection rates per capita.

Note: Here I am referring to "Blue Covid Zone" as in covid Pilot Tourism/Sandbox zones, based on the table posted by Gerefan. Which are apparently different to the 17 Blue Zone Sandbox destinations for tourists ? It would have been helpful had they come up with a different colour for the latter.

(which for avoidance of confusion appears to be different to the 17(?) Blue Zones for tourists on sansbox.

Brad the Impala
October 30th, 2021, 02:43
You guys are so getting your knickers in a twist dissecting and interpreting every announcement, statement and even the commentary by others on every statement and announcement. It can't be long before we hear the taxi driver's view on what the government's position will be, as if he has a hot line!

Chill, deep breaths, what will be will be. Don't blame Thailand for the uncertainty, the same absence of solid parameters exist worldwide. Let's see how it pans out and adjust accordingly.

As Pot, the partner of one of the best posters and previous owner of this forum advised, as they were heading for and delayed for a train departure. "You can't change which way the ball will bounce". That's life, any anyone who understand anything about Thailand, or life, will understand that.

Mancs
October 30th, 2021, 04:58
Can bars which decide to serve some food as a new promotion be classified as eateries? I recall being told to eat stew in a gay club in Manchester, uk, on Sunday nights in the 1980's for this reason. And it worked.

vnman
October 30th, 2021, 05:17
Don't blame Thailand for the uncertainty, the same absence of solid parameters exist worldwide. Let's see how it pans out and adjust accordingly.

I don't agree! There are many holiday destinations that don't change their policies every other week. Thailand is the most unreliable country on my list of countries I would like to visit. They seem totally incompetent in handling reopening their country that shouldn't have been this closed, to begin with.

It's easy to say "that's just Thailand being Thailand," but I rather call them out.

Gaybutton
October 30th, 2021, 06:55
According to the Bangkok Post, here is what is actually going on:
__________________________________________________ ________________

Pattaya booze ban stays, operators peeved

Resort city worried about diminished appeal to foreigners as tourism gears up

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

29 October, 2021

Local tourism operators are upset that the popular resort city has been left off a short list of places where alcohol sales will be allowed in restaurants starting on Monday.

Pattaya deserves to be included in a four-province cluster where restaurants will have permission to sell alcoholic beverages to patrons, said Boon-anant Pattanasin, president of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association.

He made the comment after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said that eateries in Bangkok, Krabi, Phangnga and Phuket would be the only places allowed to sell beer, wine and the like from Monday in line with the reopening of the country to travellers.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has said that authorities hope to be able to allow alcohol sales in restaurants and other venues nationwide from Dec 1, as the country gears up for the year-end festive season.

Pattaya risked losing an edge to compete with other tourism provinces, even though the city is among the leading destinations in the country for foreigners, Mr Boon-anant said.

He said Covid cases in Pattaya were fewer than Bangkok but the alcohol ban was being lifted in the capital. The spread of the virus in Chon Buri province also tended to be concentrated in factory clusters outside Pattaya, he added.

Chon Buri on Friday reported 382 new cases, the provincial public health office reported. Sri Racha district had the most new infections with 90, while Bang Lamung, where Pattaya is located, logged 48.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2206355/pattaya-booze-ban-stays-operators-peeved

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 09:05
What the PM's announcement didn't make clear is if these "Code Blue" provisions would (or could) be expanded over time to include other provinces (or districts).

In Thailand, major decisions like this ALWAYS INCLUDE huge information gaps, which is actually by design. The fewer number of actual details and personal commitments in any proposal or plan limits the amount of accountability for the results of the actions taken. Creating knowledge gaps like this is used strategically to create chaos and confusion, which, for people who choose to operate this way, is the key to success: 1) Keep them confused . 2) Shield the true objectives. 3) Take credit if things work. 4) Blame no one at the top if they don't.

I imagine if enough tourists come during high season they'll keep the alcohol bans in Pattaya in place. If not, then it's back to the drawing board to think of new ways to create chaos and confusion to get the ball rolling again.

I guess I'll have to phone Tong the Taxi Driver to find out what's really going on.

Welcome to Thailand!

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 10:49
Why is Bangkok IN and Pattaya OUT of the "Blue Covid Zone"*.

If the PM's Council was using Risk Management tools when making these decisions (and one would assume they were), Pattaya, with only 5 hospitals, would end up being a much higher risk factor than Bangkok with it's 50 hospitals. Maybe this had something to do with their decision.

They already know that there's going to be an increase in covid numbers when tourists start arriving, but what has to be keeping them up at night is having the medical capacity to handle the increase.

arsenal
October 30th, 2021, 11:22
That is exactly it Dodger. Their fear is a Pattaya overrun with cases, the hospitals swamped and both Thais and foreign tourists dying in the streets.

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 12:05
Their fear is a Pattaya overrun with cases, the hospitals swamped and both Thais and foreign tourists dying in the streets.

Can you just imagine the impact that would have on future tourism in Thailand!!! I bet they can imagine it.

Asa Butterfield would never be stymied with such trivial nonsense. He would just grab a boy and a few bottles of Coka Cola and head to the beach for a fun day of frolicking under the sun.

cdnmatt
October 30th, 2021, 13:49
Looking at case numbers over the past while, I find it hard to believe bars will be open again in a month.

There were some encouraging signs there and looked like things were on the decline with multiple days dropping all the way into the 7000s. Now we're back into the 90002 and have been for a while.

Besides, I get my booster in January, so think I'll hang out here for that anyway.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2021, 15:11
Looking at case numbers over the past while, I find it hard to believe bars will be open again in a month.

There were some encouraging signs there and looked like things were on the decline with multiple days dropping all the way into the 7000s. Now we're back into the 90002 and have been for a while.

Besides, I get my booster in January, so think I'll hang out here for that anyway.

You said you were black listed?

Kenny
October 30th, 2021, 15:47
I have booked my flight for early December (KLM, just 460 EUR), and I'm really looking forward to getting away for my first holiday in a long time.

I hope the bars are open by then, but even if they're not it will be worth it just for the break.

I am following the news from Thailand like everyone else here and, to be honest, I have no idea why the government is even considering reopening bars and entertainment venues at this time when the vaccination programme is still at such an early stage.

A target of 70% of the population would still leave 21 million Thais unvaccinated. Currently just 30 million Thais have received two doses of vaccine, though the vaccination rate is higher in areas like Bangkok.

The delta variant is happily circulating among both vaccinated and unvaccinated people here at home in Ireland, despite a vaccination level of over 89% of people over the age of 12. Cases among the vaccinated here are generally much lest severe, but hospitalisations and infection numbers are rising rapidly all the same.
Bars reopened only recently, nightclubs only last week, and there was a lot of hesitancy about the decision to reopen these venues because, putting it bluntly, alcohol consumption during a pandemic only makes things worse.

I am concerned that reopening too quickly will force Thailand into another lockdown, if hospitals are overwhelmed by a sudden increase in infections.

Hopefully that won't happen, it will damage Thailand's credibility as a tourist destination if it does.

cdnmatt
October 30th, 2021, 17:49
You said you were black listed?

From Thailand, yes. As it turns out though, there's more countries in the world than just Thailand.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 18:49
The delta variant is happily circulating among both vaccinated and unvaccinated people here at home in Ireland, despite a vaccination level of over 89% of people over the age of 12. Cases among the vaccinated here are generally much lest severe, but hospitalisations and infection numbers are rising rapidly all the same.
This is the new normal. Covid will circulate & our resistance will be kept up by periodic infections, usually mild, or vaccine boosters.
If governments get their act together with booster programmes, the age adjusted mortality rate should be below the levels of 10, or maybe even 5 years ago.
We've had decades of improving life expectancy. Just because, with vaccines, covid winds the clock back and gives us life expectancy at 2015, or 2010 levels, it doesn't mean we should all be under restrictions for ever.

I am concerned that reopening too quickly will force Thailand into another lockdown, if hospitals are overwhelmed by a sudden increase in infections.
Hopefully that won't happen, it will damage Thailand's credibility as a tourist destination if it does.

Thailand should hit the 70% vaccination target in December. They have currently given out over 73 million doses, which is equivalent to the level in the UK back on 18 June.
England opened bars for outside trade back in April.
All domestic restrictions were abolished in England on 19 July, when 82.6 million doses were already delivered in the UK. Thailand will probably reach that number of doses sometime in the middle of November.

So the relaxation timetable is if anything, more cautious in Thailand. Thailand will probably benefit from a warmer climate and continued mask wearing. However, at present, the vaccine mix is inferior.

I suppose there is a risk of further lockdowns. Of course, a lot depends on the attitudes of the politicians and population. Do they accept that covid will be continuing to circulate & that we should get on with life, now vaccines reduce the severity ? Or will they continue to be cautious ?

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2021, 19:11
If someone is coming here as a sex tourist if in fact the GoGo bars will reopen Nov.1 along with other venues serving alcohol there is little reason to come to Pattaya until things loosen up here.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 19:39
If someone is coming here as a sex tourist if in fact the GoGo bars will reopen Nov.1 along with other venues serving alcohol there is little reason to come to Pattaya until things loosen up here.

1 Not everyone comes to Thailand purely as a sex tourist. I suspect the majority have at least some other interests in life.

2 I'm told that some sex tourists have discovered Romeo, Grindr etc.

3 Where else would the "sex tourist" find gogo bars full of cute Asians ?

4 Given the lack of gogo bars in other countries, he can either give up on life, as some seem to have. Or pick the best available holiday option in 2021 and make the best of it.

5 Should a "sex tourist" have any expectations different to a "sex expat" ?

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 19:59
I have booked my flight for early December (KLM, just 460 EUR), and I'm really looking forward to getting away for my first holiday in a long time.

I hope the bars are open by then, but even if they're not it will be worth it just for the break.

I am following the news from Thailand like everyone else here and, to be honest, I have no idea why the government is even considering reopening bars and entertainment venues at this time when the vaccination programme is still at such an early stage.

A target of 70% of the population would still leave 21 million Thais unvaccinated. Currently just 30 million Thais have received two doses of vaccine, though the vaccination rate is higher in areas like Bangkok.

Bars reopened only recently, nightclubs only last week, and there was a lot of hesitancy about the decision to reopen these venues because, putting it bluntly, alcohol consumption during a pandemic only makes things worse.

What an incredibly intelligent outlook. Very refreshing to read.

Congratulations on booking your trip.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2021, 20:10
I am anxious to hear if the GoGo bars in BKK open Nov.1…..I haven’t been in a long time but if GoGo bars open there and remain closed here I will be in BKK very soon……can’t wait! :clapping: I have a feeling I won’t be the only one…….I wasn’t thrilled when the scene moved from Soi Twilight but anything is better than nothing.

Dodger
October 30th, 2021, 20:19
Not everyone comes to Thailand purely as a sex tourist.

I met an elderly bird-watcher from Barcelona back in 1998 who came to Thailand solely for the purpose of capturing pictures of the extremely rare Chestnut-Necklaced Partridge which was apparently spotted by some campers up in mountains of Chiang Mai. He made it very clear that this was his one and only reason for coming to Thailand.

Manforallseasons
October 30th, 2021, 20:26
I met an elderly bird-watcher from Barcelona back in 1998 who came to Thailand solely for the purpose of capturing pictures of the extremely rare Chestnut-Necklaced Partridge which was apparently spotted by some campers up in mountains of Chiang Mai. He made it very clear that this was his one and only reason for coming to Thailand.

Lol, too bad there isn’t a bird watching app. Call it HUMMINGBIRD

a447
October 30th, 2021, 21:13
I met an elderly bird-watcher from Barcelona back in 1998 who came to Thailand solely for the purpose of capturing pictures of the extremely rare Chestnut-Necklaced Partridge

If he can't find any partridges, there are a lot of common tits to be found in Soi Cowboy.

goji
October 30th, 2021, 21:18
Here....

dinagam
October 30th, 2021, 21:21

Others go to Thailand for devotional purposes according to their own beliefs ...

gerefan2
October 30th, 2021, 22:09
From Thailand, yes. As it turns out though, there's more countries in the world than just Thailand.
Yes, Malta wasn’t it???

Nirish guy
October 30th, 2021, 22:28
I met an elderly bird-watcher from Barcelona ..... He made it very clear that this was his one and only reason for coming to Thailand.

Please tell me the twist to that story is you were having that conversation with him in a go go bar ! :-)

Dodger
October 31st, 2021, 09:39
Please tell me the twist to that story ......)

Funny you should say that.

I ran into the same guy a few months later while trekking across the mountains in Chiang Mai and hardly recognized him. He came staggering out of a small shack in a village inhabited by a herd of those Indians with long necks and pot bellies.

Anyway, he was standing next to a young half-naked Indian girl who was wearing a chestnut colored necklace, while holding, what appeared to be, a sack of dead partridges. I asked him if those were the extremely rare partridges he had told me about, and he said "yes, and now they're even more rare." The last I heard he was running a bordello with a Spanish theme somewhere along the Mekong and apparently serves the best partridge stew this side of the Rockies.

francois
November 4th, 2021, 23:00
Apparently a couple establishments in Jomtien Complex acted hastily by serving alcohol and were caught and fined by the police.

vnman
November 4th, 2021, 23:03
Apparently a couple establishments in Jomtien Complex acted hastily by serving alcohol and were caught and fined by the police.

Ouch!

Dodger
November 5th, 2021, 08:22

The BIB (Boys in Brown) have been broke for 18 months now and will be like flies on shit during this transition period.

Beggars with Badges, hopping from bar scene to bar scene smelling out any small infraction so they can get a few baht dropped in their tin cans.

I mentioned earlier in this post that several of the bars in Jomtien Complex have the lights on with staff sitting around waiting for the starting gun. Can anyone blame them for getting a little over-anxious?