PDA

View Full Version : Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya..

catawampuscat
October 8th, 2021, 15:12
Pikkys Pub is a new boybar on Pattayaland soi 2. It will open when the bars are allowed to open
Someone has confidence in the viability of the Boyztown area ..

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2021, 15:49
….

Brad the Impala
October 8th, 2021, 15:55
On the one hand complaining of the the shrinking gay scene(and prior to Covid also), on the other hand mocking someone who is investing in it!

Old git
October 8th, 2021, 15:56
Someone announcing that now deserves patronage when they open..

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2021, 16:10
On the one hand complaining of the the shrinking gay scene(and prior to Covid also), on the other hand mocking someone who is investing in it!

Old wise one would you put your money there?

Moses
October 8th, 2021, 16:15
Half-empty glass...

News: we will have new place to visit soon.

Reaction type 1: Hurrray!!!
Reaction type 2: they all will die soon

Brad the Impala
October 8th, 2021, 16:33
Old wise one would you put your money there?

I would wish them good luck(sincerely) but say that it's not for me.

vnman
October 8th, 2021, 16:56
I spoke to a mamasan who is now in her hometown, but who is thinking about reopening a small bar in Boystown.

arsenal
October 8th, 2021, 17:03
If it was up to you MFAS we'd all still be living in caves and chasing after gnu's with sticks and rocks.

catawampuscat
October 8th, 2021, 17:14
It is a leap of faith to open a new boybar on Pattayaland soi 2, and there is a fairly high probability of failure and loss of money.
My personal view is it’s short sighted and foolish but I’m glad someone has the conviction that it will succeed. Optimism trumps
pessimism but can still be foolish. Time will tell.

snotface
October 8th, 2021, 17:26
I remember being at Dongtan beach long ago, when Covid wasn't even a glimmer in a Chinese bat's eye, and overhearing a conversation between two farangs seated in the row in front of me. They were talking about owning gay bars and the risks involved. Finally one of them indicated the sea with a vague sweep of his arm and said something like, 'I'd rather throw my money out there, at least there's a chance that the tide might send some of it back to me.'

Old git
October 8th, 2021, 17:37
I remember being at Dongtan beach long ago, when Covid wasn't even a glimmer in a Chinese bat's eye, and overhearing a conversation between two farangs seated in the row in front of me. They were talking about owning gay bars and the risks involved. Finally one of them indicated the sea with a vague sweep of his arm and said something like, 'I'd rather throw my money out there, at least there's a chance that the tide might send some of it back to me.'

It has some appeal as a final business venture after a life of dreary graft - especially if you've had a nice little inheritance or other windfall to play with, that exceeds your retirement needs - money to play with.

As a get rich quick scheme - forget it..

Patanawet
October 8th, 2021, 17:39
….

Is this a new bar or an old bar refurbished and renamed? They have been pushing it's 'opening in a few days' for months every day on Facebook.
Whatever --- good luck to them. They really don't need uninformed advice from armchair experts on running a business in Thailand.

arsenal
October 8th, 2021, 17:57
And yet Zac has expanded his bar in Jomtien and Cockatoo also does very well. In Sunee, Winner Bar does good business as does Nice Boys. And Boyztown, X-boys has been there for about 15 years and Toy Boys is going strong.

The moral here is if you get it right there's no reason your venture will fail.

Old git
October 8th, 2021, 18:26
The moral here is if you get it right there's no reason your venture will fail.

Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted..

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2021, 18:33
Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted..

Average 50, maybe in BKK closer to 65+ in Pattaya/Jomtien.

Moses
October 8th, 2021, 19:25
It is a leap of faith to open a new boybar on Pattayaland soi 2, and there is a fairly high probability of failure and loss of money.
My personal view is it’s short sighted and foolish but I’m glad someone has the conviction that it will succeed. Optimism trumps
pessimism but can still be foolish. Time will tell.

It is "short sight" only if someone wants to make money there. But if it is his/her "new toy", why not then? May be his motivation is just "boooooooring!!!"

arsenal
October 8th, 2021, 19:59
"Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted.."

Quite frankly Old Git they could play Russian funeral music at top volume if it meant that after 19 months away I could sit in Nice Boys with one of em draped naked all over me.

catawampuscat
October 8th, 2021, 23:17
Heavy duty ear plugs may be a solution oldgit

Gaybutton
October 8th, 2021, 23:53
with one of em draped naked all over me.

You don't even need to go to a bar at all for that. I'm with Old git. Unless the bars do things to attract customers - and for sure not do things that will drive them away - then once they reopen it will be "deja vu all over again" - meaning it won't take long for the bars to be in the same boat they were in before Covid when it was bars closing right and left and very few customers in most of the ones that were still surviving. I don't think that's what any of us want.

While we're all talking about how we hope the bars soon can open again, once they do reopen now it becomes the bar owners' responsibility to see to it that they stay open - rather than a repeat of the pre-Covid situation. I don't think any of us want that to happen again either.

Old git
October 8th, 2021, 23:59
Heavy duty ear plugs may be a solution oldgit

Fine - but I still won't be able to hear what anyone is saying..

The noise element massively deters me from indulging the scene in Pattaya - I can't be the only one..

gerefan2
October 9th, 2021, 02:24
Where is it going to be in Soi 2?

goji
October 9th, 2021, 03:01
I remember being at Dongtan beach long ago, when Covid wasn't even a glimmer in a Chinese bat's eye:D

'I'd rather throw my money out there, at least there's a chance that the tide might send some of it back to me.' Certain Pattaya bar owners are so generous in buying customers drinks, I suspect they don't have any interest in making more money. As long has they have enough stashed away to look after their own needs, good for them !

I detest excessive music volume and that has been the case since I was in school. I remember getting to the door of that "Happy Place" bar near Boyztown and making it very clear to the doorman why I wasn't going any further.
In recent years, it's less of a problem. Winner Boys has music so quiet you can hear the conversation on the next table, whether you like it or not.
The only exception might be when some ignorant outdoor bar in the middle of Jomtien has a party with the speakers blaring.

Quite frankly Old Git they could play Russian funeral music at top volume if it meant that after 19 months away I could sit in Nice Boys with one of em draped naked all over me.
Is Russian funeral music that bad ?

riverdee
October 9th, 2021, 03:08
wish them the very best of luck and hopefuly I will be paying a visit next year .........cant bloody wait to visit again

Jellybean
October 9th, 2021, 03:45
. . . I detest excessive music volume and that has been the case since I was in school. I remember getting to the door of that "Happy Place" bar near Boyztown and making it very clear to the doorman why I wasn't going any further . . .

Was he a rather portly gentleman by any chance? ;)

goji
October 9th, 2021, 05:10

The noise from in the bar was so excruciating, I didn't even notice the doorman.

These days, if a noisy new gogo opened, the choice of other bars is so thin I'd buy a some LARGE ear defenders from Mr DIY and go in the bar anyway. This would make the point:

Gaybutton
October 9th, 2021, 06:21
Fine - but I still won't be able to hear what anyone is saying.

That could be advantageous when approached by an annoying mama-san . . .

gerefan2
October 9th, 2021, 08:16

Haha, I wondered if this new bar was going to be in the same premises. The old Happy Place !!

a447
October 9th, 2021, 09:18
I didn't even notice the doorman.

He was very hard to miss! Lol

He ran a great bar - always listened to customer suggestions and continually tried to improve the bar.

As is often the case, or so it seems, he was let down by the guys who worked there. His acerbic personality also didn't assist.

Let's hope the new owner is also open to new ideas. No ladyboy lip-sync shows would be a good start.

catawampuscat
October 9th, 2021, 09:38
Prior to COVID-19 outbreak, the older Western farangs were a small minority in the boybar customer base.
The Asian men and Women, mostly Chinese were the life blood of the bars, especially the show bars. Bars like Boyzboyzboyz were
packed with Asian customers and nary an older farang in the mix.
The Asian customers are more accepting to louder music than most older western farangs and the bars gear themselves
to where the money is and not the tiny minority of older farangs. It’s a business and the reality is we are not a force to be
reckoned with. The show boy bars would die without the Asian customers and not even notice if the elderly farangs stayed away..
The same goes with lady men lip syncing and flamboyant mamasans. Most Asians accept and it’s all part of Thai culture.
Many older farangs think of boybars as gay bars. They are not gay bars, they are boy bars!
There are exceptions but boy show bars cannot survive on older gay men.

Dodger
October 9th, 2021, 09:45
I wish the new Boy Bar the best of luck. I'll be there when it opens to gladly make my donations...and could care less about the music volume.

Old people have a tendency to bitch and complain too much, and sometimes expect the world to rotate around their very needs. I told myself that I would never allow myself to get like this. So far, so good.

You've placed yourself in a city know for it's wild nightlife, and have the choice of either adapting to your environment, or going somewhere else where the environment is more conducive to your tastes.

There are plenty of bars that play soft music - you can't have your cake and eat it too.

arsenal
October 9th, 2021, 10:18
A bar that gears itself to the oh so picky lickerty cliquey stingy wingie moaning miseries groaning gizzards humpety grumps that make up the expat community is sure to fail.

a447
October 9th, 2021, 10:26
The show boy bars would die without the Asian customers and not even notice if the elderly farangs stayed away.

The bars themselves would not notice but the guys sure would.

Afterall, we off them, whereas the Chinese clientele only sit with them and buy them some drinks. They rarely off them.

A lot of guys would probably earn enough to make ends meet but if you want big bucks you actually have to "make ends meet" back in the hotel room.

Old git
October 9th, 2021, 10:36
Prior to COVID-19 outbreak, the older Western farangs were a small minority in the boybar customer base.
The Asian men and Women, mostly Chinese were the life blood of the bars, especially the show bars. Bars like Boyzboyzboyz were
The Asian customers are more accepting to louder music than most older western farangs and the bars gear themselves
to where the money is and not the tiny minority of older farangs. It’s a business and the reality is we are not a force to be
reckoned with. The show boy bars would die without the Asian customers and not even notice if the elderly farangs stayed away..
The same goes with lady men lip syncing and flamboyant mamasans. Most Asians accept and it’s all part of Thai culture.
Many older farangs think of boybars as gay bars. They are not gay bars, they are boy bars!
There are exceptions but boy show bars cannot survive on older gay men.

Well - fine

Let that gullible demographic enjoy the 3-3-3 regime..

3" dick
3 minutes to cum
3000 baht

- Everyone else wants a good deal..

a447
October 9th, 2021, 10:56
Let that gullible demographic enjoy the 3-3-3 regime..

3" dick
3 minutes to cum
3000 baht

I think you mean the 5-5-5 regime. Or hâa-hâa-hâa in Thai.

Dodger
October 9th, 2021, 14:32

to where the money is and not the tiny minority of older farangs.

In the words of Kevin Quill back in the early 2000's: "Old people are going to complain. It's just their nature, but as a bar owner you have to know which side of the bread the butter's on, and focus on the needs of ALL the customers".

The atmosphere he wanted in "Throb" required full-bodied music to accompany his shows, but it wasn't blasting so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. But even then, there were older customers who would occasionally complain. It was inevitable.

catawampuscat
October 9th, 2021, 14:47
I think you mean the 5-5-5 regime. Or hâa-hâa-hâa in Thai.

In general, the Asian are out to have a good time, often with many friends. They spend a lot of money.

Manforallseasons
October 9th, 2021, 15:11
In the words of Kevin Quill back in the early 2000's:.

I received a message from a friend that K.Quill has gone to that big GoGo in the sky. R.I.P.

Gaybutton
October 9th, 2021, 19:02
it wasn't blasting so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. But even then, there were older customers who would occasionally complain. It was inevitable.

I hope the information that Kevin Quill has died turns out to be a false alarm.

Meanwhile, Kevin Quill was not the wise old man of the go go bar scene, so I don't necessarily agree with his idea of how loud the music should be. "Old people are going to complain. It's just their nature"? Is that so? I was complaining about excessively loud music long before I would likely have been anyone's idea of 'old people'.

Old people complained about the music being too loud. I'll bet he never got complaints from anybody that the music wasn't loud enough. Play the music at a reasonable level, I'll be glad to be your customer. Play it excessively loud, I'll be glad to be somebody else's customer.

Dodger
October 9th, 2021, 19:42

"Old people are going to complain. It's just their nature"? Is that so? I was complaining about excessively loud music long before I would likely have been anyone's idea of 'old people'.

And you're still complaining now.

If there's a place that's playing music louder then you prefer - just cross it off your list and go somewhere else. Why should bar owners, and patrons who don't mind the music volume, be inconvenienced by your complaining?

Oliver2
October 9th, 2021, 21:13
This became a problem only when some bars dispensed with doors. Kevin's Throb had them. So did Jim's BBB; no complaints. I never understood why some new bars in BT decided to open-up; was it something to do with competition? If so, it didn't work as we all (more or less) decamped to Jomtien and the number of punters they attracted rarely exceeded a dozen. This was painfully obvious with no doors to hide the bars' failure.

Gaybutton
October 9th, 2021, 23:49
Why should bar owners, and patrons who don't mind the music volume, be inconvenienced by your complaining?

Wouldn't that depend on how many patrons are complaining? Why do I think it is far from being just me? If a bar owner wants to lose customers for the sake of excessively loud music, that is what will happen. Do you think a bar owner will lose customers if he reduces the volume to a reasonable level? I don't. What would be the part that inconveniences anybody? I see no necessity for the music to be that loud. Do you?

Like I said, I'll bet no bar owner ever got complaints from anybody that the music wasn't loud enough. Play the music at a reasonable level, I'll be glad to be your customer. Play it excessively loud, I'll be glad to be somebody else's customer, just like you said.

My next complaint will be the strobe lights . . .

TaoR
October 10th, 2021, 03:40
This might be a little off topic but again it might signify the beginning of an advertising campaign for Boystown. If you go to Instagram.com (http://Instagram.com) there is a new account "boystownpattaya." I do not know anything about the account but they post pictures daily.

Dodger
October 10th, 2021, 12:10

My next complaint will be the strobe lights . . .

Good luck!

I can just imagine you walking into a bar, disco, karaoke, etc., and telling the waiter you want the music immediately turned down and the lights to stop flashing.

My guess is that the waiter would practice "jai yen" and just smile and walk away.

You must have been a lot of fun in your younger days when rock concerts were popular. I bet your ears still hurt from that Partridge Family concert.

dab69
October 10th, 2021, 12:44
Supposedly David Cassidy had a donkey sized dick...

Gaybutton
October 10th, 2021, 13:15
I can just imagine you walking into a bar, disco, karaoke, etc., and telling the waiter you want the music immediately turned down and the lights to stop flashing.
That's what you would have to do - imagine it. I would never do that. I would walk into the bar, glance to see if I spot any boys I just can't resist, then turn around and walk right back out. If any of the bar staff asks me why I am leaving so soon, that is when I would tell him my reason.

I never said I have a problem with loud music. I said I have a problem with excessively loud music. Please don't bother to insult my intelligence by trying to get me to explain what I mean by "excessively" loud.

This time are you going to explain how playing music at a reasonable volume inconveniences anyone?

I neither liked nor ever went to a rock concert in my life. Never was my thing. If you thought those were a lot of fun, good for you. I didn't know I have to enjoy the same things you do in order to avoid your criticism.

As for the Partridge Family concert, if you could hear them at all it was too loud for me . . .

Dodger
October 10th, 2021, 14:32
Supposedly David Cassidy had a donkey sized dick...

Yes, and when I was young I used to imagine it being inside my mouth.

Dodger
October 10th, 2021, 15:06
I neither liked nor ever went to a rock concert in my life. Never was my thing

I'm not criticizing you - just poking fun.

Here's what I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKZGBrAtxY

Gaybutton
October 10th, 2021, 16:03
I'm not criticizing you - just poking fun.

"Really? Why I had no idea . . ."
- Gregory Peck (Cleve Van Valen), 'How the West Was Won'

colmx
October 10th, 2021, 17:41
Getting back to the original topic, I believe that Pikky's bar is on Pattayaland Soi 3 (Boyztown) and not Soi 2.

It's in the old Oscars premises, between Copa and Serene

catawampuscat
October 10th, 2021, 19:21
Pattayaland soi 2 seemed a poor choice and Pattayaland soi 3 makes more sense.

goji
October 10th, 2021, 19:29
Pattayaland soi 2 seemed a poor choice and Pattayaland soi 3 makes more sense.

If the rents were the same for suitable premises, of course you go for Soi 3.
However, I don't think it was the location holding back A-Bomb and Wild West Boys on the next soi. Actually, AFAIK, A-Bomb remained open up to covid 19.

What type of bar would this be ? If it's a well managed gogo bar, given the lack of current competition, it would do well anywhere, just as soon as tourists are encouraged to return.

Jellybean
October 11th, 2021, 14:45
A copy of post #47 together with off-topic posts have been moved to the Sawatdee Gay World forum and given the new title, Who was your boyhood crush?

To contribute to the new topic, please click on the following link:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22419-Who-was-your-boyhood-crush

gerefan2
October 12th, 2021, 01:14
What type of bar would this be ? If it's a well managed gogo bar, given the lack of current competition, it would do well anywhere, just as soon as tourists are encouraged to return.

If it is going to be in the old Oscar Bar premisses, as mentioned above,then it will just be a beer bar.

It was too small to be a gogo bar. Shame!

Oliver2
October 12th, 2021, 13:56
On my first visit in 1995, the premises that eventually became Oscar's was both host bar and go go bar. It was called Mandate. The go go was upstairs and tiny.....smaller than the living room in which I'm posting this message. I recall there being a handful of dancers. I only looked in once....anyone who remembers Gentleman's Club will understand why I didn't return..

Manforallseasons
October 12th, 2021, 15:06
On my first visit in 1995, the premises that eventually became Oscar's was both host bar and go go bar. It was called Mandate. The go go was upstairs and tiny.....smaller than the living room in which I'm posting this message. I recall there being a handful of dancers. I only looked in once....anyone who remembers Gentleman's Club will understand why I didn't return..

Gentlemen’s club was a university for up and coming GoGo boys….the mamasan as I remember was a hideous creature and the falang owner sat at the bar and just glared at you…2 visits were enough for me.

Gaybutton
October 12th, 2021, 17:48
anyone who remembers Gentleman's Club will understand why I didn't return..

Gentleman's Club was mild compared to the Amigo Pub. Remember that one?

Manforallseasons
October 14th, 2021, 00:51
The owner of Amigo was Guy who shot one of is boys and was asked to leave Pattaya and go up country, his horrific mamasan was left to run the place. The police often raided the bar and the boys would escape down the back stairs.

gerefan2
October 14th, 2021, 02:15
Gentlemen’s club was a university for up and coming GoGo boys….

Not a University. From what I’ve heard it was a Prep School!

Dodger
October 14th, 2021, 10:39
Not a University. From what I’ve heard it was a Prep School!

Not a Prep School, a Kindergarten.

Oliver2
October 14th, 2021, 13:33
I wish I hadn't raised the subject. Let's talk about how great Cockpit was.....best bar in Boyztown. Any other suggestions? or perhaps a new thread? History is so much better than today's events.

Dodger
October 14th, 2021, 15:15
My all time favorite on Soi Toyota (across Second Road from Boyztown).

Ruthrieston
October 15th, 2021, 09:07
Oh yes! Star Boys was a real favourite for me. Great memories.

arsenal
October 15th, 2021, 09:17
I went to Gentlemen's Club a few times. I have to say I didn't notice anything untoward in terms of the boys and their ages.

Rob, the owner was Swiss, a nice guy who unfortunately came to a bit of a sticky wicket.

At that time, 2004, I was considering a bar in Pattaya. It was Rob who explained the realities of it, the police, the too few customers etc.

For all its wonders Pattaya is also the graveyard of dreams.

Oliver2
October 15th, 2021, 21:16
As Ruthrieston says, Star was one of the best places in the Good Old Days....assuming you had the skill, courage and luck to cross Second Road successfully at night.

It was the only place I visited which had a menu and pricing for "offs" on each table. Dancers, bar -staff waiters all had their prices. But the most expensive and top of the bill was the Mamasan.

I suspect she didn't have many takers. Although, it has suddenly occurred to me that perhaps it was a joke. If so, it was also the only bar I visited that (collectively) had a sense of humour.

Jellybean
October 15th, 2021, 21:23
Several off-topic posts have been moved to the Everything Else forum and given the new title, Sticky end or sticky wicket?

To contribute to the new topic, please click on the following link:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22428-Sticky-end-or-sticky-wicket

scottish-guy
October 18th, 2021, 20:49
I received a message from a friend that K.Quill has gone to that big GoGo in the sky. R.I.P.

Good Lord, it’s almost as if there’s a pattern emerging!

Thanks to the old saying “You’re only as old as the people you feel”, I’m getting younger by the day

scottish-guy
October 18th, 2021, 20:54
My all time favorite on Soi Toyota (across Second Road from Boyztown).

Owned at one time by a de-frocked Irish priest who had also been involved in several armed robberies.

Ah, the good old days in Pattaya :mocking_mini:

Manforallseasons
October 18th, 2021, 22:14
Owned at one time by a de-frocked Irish priest who had also been involved in several armed robberies.

Ah, the good old days in Pattaya :mocking_mini:

If memory serves me right I believe his name was Mick.

CameronPride
October 20th, 2021, 22:41
I'm investing and I continue to do so.. I cant go wrong personally but I do know others that put money in and had nothing left to live on in the quiet months. Don't ever forget many of the Gay Bar owners are retired with a steady income coming in from outside Thailand. The bar / Restaurant etc is just for fun and to give the boys a job. Not all are in it to make money.

vnman
October 21st, 2021, 00:00
It was Rob who explained the realities of it, the police, the too few customers etc.

He told me the same in exactly that year, 2004.