PDA

View Full Version : Curry And Borscht Needed to Reopen Pattaya

Manforallseasons
September 24th, 2021, 09:53
https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/22/when-pattaya-opens-to-foreign-tourists-city-plans-to-focus-on-indians-and-russian-visitors-first/

The Pattaya Business and Tourism Association (PBTA) plans to focus on Indian and Russian tourists first when the city is open to vaccinated foreign tourists.
Mr. Boonanan Pattanasin, the president of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association, (PBTA) told The Pattaya News yesterday afternoon, September 21st

latintopxxx
September 24th, 2021, 14:28
indians????

dinagam
September 26th, 2021, 10:47
Indians are indeed spicy!
It's an acquired taste...

a447
September 26th, 2021, 11:06
It's an acquired taste...

It's a taste I acquired very quickly!

Many employees at convenience stores in Japan are Indian, as there are not enough locals willing to work there. They are invariably young, slim, handsome guys who welcome customers with their beautiful smiles.

There's lots of hot Indian eye-candy wandering around Pattaya - or at least there was - Walking Street was a great place to go to a admire them.

Gorgeous!

Gaybutton
September 26th, 2021, 11:26
As long as it isn't hordes of Chinese tour buses and the middle eastern morons who plague the Sunee Plaza area speeding around on their motorbikes without giving a damn about other people, then anyone else who wants to go to Pattaya is fine with me.

Of course another consideration is even if Pattaya reopens, it's the city that reopens. That doesn't mean anything else such as the bars or other venues are going to open any time soon, or whether serving alcohol will be permitted.

Even if Pattaya reopens, I'm wondering how many people will even want to go right away. Even the TaT is predicting only 20% of pre-Covid tourist numbers will go to Thailand during high season this year. And my own prediction is fewer than that, depending on what is actually open to attract people. And if serving alcohol is still prohibited, good luck getting many tourists, especially singles.

I also hope they won't actually go through with this nonsense about proving you've been vaccinated twice just to be able to eat in a restaurant. Who's going to go to Thailand if they can't even eat in a restaurant without a hassle - and along with it still can't have their drink or wine with dinner? If tourists can't produce whatever is needed as proof, where are they expecting tourists to eat?

And don't be surprised if by November they delay reopening yet again. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm actually expecting that to happen. Already people are seeing that Thailand is not reliable about when things will reopen. I wonder how many people started planning their holiday, started making arrangements with their work, and spent hours working on their holiday plans only to find out Thailand isn't going to reopen as expected after all. Because of that, if it were me, I wouldn't even be beginning to do my planning until Thailand actually does reopen and my reasons for going to Thailand in the first place are also open.

Thailand, you want high tourist numbers? You better start doing things and opening things that will attract them. From where I sit, what I see going on ain't it . . .

Keith
September 26th, 2021, 15:25
In Paris, you need a vaccine passport to go into a restaurant, as well as on long distance trains, and that does not seem to be causing problems.

gerefan2
September 26th, 2021, 21:56
Gaybutton’s post above describes exactly my situation. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Many, like me, are probably looking for alternatives because of all this procrastination.

christianpfc
September 26th, 2021, 23:07
I also hope they won't actually go through with this nonsense about proving you've been vaccinated twice just to be able to eat in a restaurant. ... If tourists can't produce whatever is needed as proof, where are they expecting tourists to eat?
Double vaccination (or quarantine) is a requirement for entry to Thailand. The proof of vaccination is with immigration, but it wouldn't come as a surprise if yet another form of proof of vaccination is required to be admitted to restaurants.Can you enter a 7-Eleven or supermarket without proof of vaccination? The microwaved meals in 7-Eleven is something that can come in very handy once or twice a month (hungry after disco, or other situations where no other food is available).

latintopxxx
September 27th, 2021, 09:38
if i had my way any unvaccinated twit would be beaten with a baseball bat in the middle of the street ...taliban style encouragement to get jabbed

Gaybutton
September 27th, 2021, 12:55
The proof of vaccination is with immigration, but it wouldn't come as a surprise if yet another form of proof of vaccination is required to be admitted to restaurants.Can you enter a 7-Eleven or supermarket without proof of vaccination?

I can hardly wait to see how this is going to be enforced. It isn't only foreigners who eat in restaurants. Whatever the proof will be, I hope it is written in Thai. Somehow I don't expect the average Thai to be able to read and understand English. And if the fact that a foreigner entered Thailand, given the rules for entering Thailand, then he must have been vaccinated twice. Correct?

Very good. And if immigration is the way to prove you are a foreign holiday maker who has been vaccinated twice, what are you supposed to do - carry your passport with you whenever you want to eat so that some Thai guy posted at the entrance can check your entry stamp? I don't know how else. Maybe you'll have to find a copy shop and have your entry stamp copied so you'll have something to show - if anyone is even bothering to check.

If they do go through with this beginning in October, I suspect this will last as long as Thailand's other absurd rules usually last - maybe as much as a week or two before the restaurants get sick and tired of the hassle and stop complying. For example, if there are two restaurants I like, one complies and checks but the other doesn't - guess which of the two will be where I eat.

How would such a rule be enforced? I'm picturing a police raid in the middle of dinner and having to show a police officer my proof of vaccination - after already having had to show it to some Thai kid at the restaurant entrance. Is there anyone here who thinks the police actually have the manpower or even the inclination to be checking for compliance at the multitude of restaurants in Pattaya?

To answer christianPFC's question - you don't need to show proof of vaccination to enter a 7-Eleven, at least not yet. But you do have to be wearing a mask, check your temperature, and some make you use the hand sanitizing solution.

As for 7-Eleven's microwave meals, good luck getting me to try one - ever.

goji
September 27th, 2021, 16:32
I can hardly wait to see how this is going to be enforced. It isn't only foreigners who eat in restaurants. Whatever the proof will be, I hope it is written in Thai. Somehow I don't expect the average Thai to be able to read and understand English. And if the fact that a foreigner entered Thailand, given the rules for entering Thailand, then he must have been vaccinated twice. Correct?

In the UK we get a paper vaccination certificate and a phone app. If vaccination or testing is mandatory for any event, all they need is someone checking documentation before entering premises.

As for foreigners, well clearly those already in Thailand are not necessarily vaccinated twice.

christianpfc
September 27th, 2021, 22:04
From a vaccination point of view, there are three types of foreigners: Phuket sandbox (double vaccinated), quarantine (not required to be vaccinated by immigration, but how about airlines? - if all airlines flying to Thailand accept only fully vaccinated passengers, those ASQ foreigners are all fully vaccinated), Foreigners in Thailand since before Covid.

Remotely related to the subject:

goji
September 27th, 2021, 23:35
From a vaccination point of view, there are three types of foreigners: Phuket sandbox (double vaccinated), quarantine (not required to be vaccinated by immigration, but how about airlines? - if all airlines flying to Thailand accept only fully vaccinated passengers, those ASQ foreigners are all fully vaccinated), Foreigners in Thailand since before Covid.

Vaccination is a non-issue for most members who have been or will soon be double vaxxed. Obviously we have some potential exceptions.

poshglasgow
September 28th, 2021, 01:30
Gaybutton’s post above describes exactly my situation. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Many, like me, are probably looking for alternatives because of all this procrastination.

Any suggestions as to alternative warm, sunny destinations with the same 'attractions' as Pattaya but without too many of the ambiguities?

goji
September 28th, 2021, 01:38
Any suggestions as to alternative warm, sunny destinations with the same 'attractions' as Pattaya but without too many of the ambiguities?

My preferred alternatives would be Cambodia, Myanmar & The Philippines, all of which currently have worse entry restrictions than Thailand, AFAIK. Plus a change of government in Myanmar.
Out of this group, Cambodia leads the way with vaccinations, but there is no date for opening up, so far. I'm kind of hoping Hun Sen will just open the country up, with no messing about.
No need to make a decision just yet, but I will have to be looking much more seriously by mid-November. Has anyone found a better option ?
There are plenty of warm countries, but the offer on Grindr & other phone apps is not so interesting.

christianpfc
September 28th, 2021, 16:31
Two friends who used to spend their winter holidays in SEAsia. One is looking at Egypt, another at Greece. Both warm weather and cheap living, but neither are attractive to me boy-wise.

goji
September 28th, 2021, 16:41
Two friends who used to spend their winter holidays in SEAsia. One is looking at Egypt, another at Greece. Both warm weather and cheap living, but neither are attractive to me boy-wise.

For me, Egypt is out of the question for a long holiday for various reasons.

As for Greece, the average daily maximum temperature in, for example, Mykonos in January is under 14C, minimum just over 8C. That's not so warm, but better than at home.
I am tempted to take a short holiday somewhere in southern Europe in Oct/Nov, then go somewhere else in December or worst case, January.

Oliver2
September 28th, 2021, 21:31
The Nubian guys who work the feluccas on the the Nile are the most attractive I've seen anywhere. And that includes Thailand. I have some stories of my experiences there that I shall not be sharing.... but gogi is correct. Sadly.

Diec
September 29th, 2021, 03:20
if i had my way any unvaccinated twit would be beaten with a baseball bat in the middle of the street ...taliban style encouragement to get jabbed

Are you the one who claims to sit on a boy's head then shit on him because you are the 'master' and paying him?

latintopxxx
September 29th, 2021, 08:44
no thats scotty...im not into scat

Diec
September 29th, 2021, 10:36
no thats scotty...im not into scat

Oh, ok, so you're the other one who is into humiliation and degradation of the boy you 'paid' for.

Dodger
September 29th, 2021, 13:28

Several friends from the UK used to holiday in Spain and Tunisia occasionally and always had good things to say about them.

I know colmx is heading to Spain pretty soon, but haven't heard Tunisia coming up in any conversations for a while and wonder if the boy-action is still good there.

goji
September 29th, 2021, 18:00
Several friends from the UK used to holiday in Spain

Picking a southerly location, the average peak daily temperature in January in Malaga is just over 16C. Better than the UK, but not exactly shorts and T-shirt weather like Thailand.
Looking on Grindr, there are only 2 boys that look of interest, although the Grindr Travel feature can describe boys hundreds of miles away as "near Malaga". Secondly, in Pattaya, well over 50% of the boys are "available" to people like us, whereas in Spain it's a long way under 5%. So possibly no available boys of interest. Going to Barcelona or Madrid would improve the odds slightly, but Madrid can be quite cold in the winter. See picture.

Spain is the kind of place I go to for a week or so in the summer.
If Thailand were totally closed, maybe 2~3 weeks in the winter. However, I think Thailand will be the better option this winter.

latintopxxx
September 30th, 2021, 02:53
diec...looks like u r getting off on this....

colmx
September 30th, 2021, 18:14
I know colmx is heading to Spain pretty soon, but haven't heard Tunisia coming up in any conversations for a while and wonder if the boy-action is still good there.

Travelling tomorrow! And have extended my stay from 9 days to 16. I know it will be nothing like thailand but it's better than holidaying at home.

My annual leave is on a "use them or lose them" basis. So I sure as hell am gonna use them!

I was looking at travelling by fast ferry from Spain to Tangiers in Morocco for a few days, but looks like the Covid situation there is not great with provincial lockdowns, curfews etc. So will be skipping it

Dodger
September 30th, 2021, 18:33
Travelling tomorrow! And have extended my stay from 9 days to 16. I know it will be nothing like thailand but it's better than holidaying at home.

Have a great time!

If you can't speak any Spanish, just remember this line: "quiero chuparte la verga ".

Nirish guy
October 1st, 2021, 01:41
just remember this line: "quiero chuparte la verga ".

Now hang on manners cost nothing so I think it should at the least be..... Si tienes un momento, me encantaría chuparte la verga. :)

latintopxxx
October 1st, 2021, 02:57
..silly boys...dont u know the WHOLE universe speaks english...or at least enough to peddle their wares...

christianpfc
October 1st, 2021, 22:51
That's not true. You can get enough boys in Thailand without speaking Thai, but beside speaking Thai making traveling much easier, it gives access to boys who don't speak English, or greatly simplifies communication. With Thai I can get a boy in every province, with English I cannot. In Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam I can get around in English, but in Brazil you won't get far.

Dodger
October 2nd, 2021, 10:16
I always have a translator with me:

dinagam
October 2nd, 2021, 10:45
A private bitcoin wallet is equally useful in El Salvador...

latintopxxx
October 3rd, 2021, 02:53
...dodger....so true...universal language..especially when accompanied with body language/hand signals

Gaybutton
October 3rd, 2021, 07:18
The ability to speak Thai has been an enormous help to me over the years. It is probably much greater benefit to expats living in Thailand than to holiday makers whose interest is not much beyond arranging a one night stand.

I have never even tried to learn to read Thai. It has never been necessary. Nearly everything except the smallest mom-and-pop shops usually include English. It may not always be correct English, but you'll understand. The one aspect of this on my "I Don't Get It" list is why many business and government signs are not proofread by a native English speaker. How hard can that be? The result often leads to mistakes such as my favorite example. This was an actual sign from a barber shop that used to be on a corner near Center Condo. They're long gone now. But when they were in business I couldn't resist taking the photo:

https://i.ibb.co/m9Z7V77/barbersign.jpg

If you do try to learn to speak some Thai, make sure you try to get the tones right. Often the tone is as important as the word itself. Wrong tone and they don't understand what you're trying to say.

When trying to speak English to a Thai, speak slowly, pronounce your words very clearly, use simple words, and do not use slang. You might be surprised at how often their ability to understand English is much better than you might expect. Most of the time they can understand more than they can speak.

There are also translation apps for your smartphone - both written and spoken. There are apps on which you can speak English, sometimes full sentences, and it will be voice translated into Thai. Usually, with the same app your Thai friend can speak Thai and it will be voice translated into English.

I use two such apps when necessary: CM Thai Dict and VoiceTra(Voice Translator). There are plenty more to chose from too, but these two work very well for me. And most of these apps are free.

For translating written Thai into English, try Google Lens. It works through your phone's camera. Select the translate option, then hold the phone up to the thai writing. Now English will appear on your screen rather than the Thai. It takes a little getting used to, but it works quite well. That app is also free.

Dodger
October 3rd, 2021, 09:02
When trying to speak English to a Thai, speak slowly, pronounce your words very clearly, use simple words, and do not use slang

Excellent advice.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a farang speaking to a Thai so fast that I can't even understand him.

What really gets me is when a farang uses words and phrases that only someone who either majored in English in a university somewhere, or worked part time as a Shakspearean actor would understand. In any event, the result is always the same. The boy sits there staring at the idiot nodding his head as if he understands...and practicing Jai Yen by not telling him to slow down and just speak simple English.

Oliver2
October 3rd, 2021, 14:38
I find communication with P straightforward when I'm with him because communication is more than an aural and oral process. However, by telephone or LINE is more difficult. Is this a problem others have?

arsenal
October 3rd, 2021, 16:21
"I find communication with P straightforward when I'm with him because communication is more than an aural and oral process. However, by telephone or LINE is more difficult. Is this a problem others have?"

Dunno. I've never spoken to P by telephone or LINE. Hahaha.

Oliver2
October 3rd, 2021, 21:08
That's odd. He's often threatened to leave me because he's found a more generous and good-looking falang. It must have been someone else. Good....I didn't want to lose such a valued friendship,

Nirish guy
October 3rd, 2021, 21:32
Going back to GB's beauty salon sign above for a second and thinking back to the famous "no money no honey" saying I dread to think then what the 500 Baht "honey fumigate" treatment might entail !!! :)