PDA

View Full Version : Songkran love it or hate it

Manforallseasons
September 13th, 2021, 15:03
I hope to be back in LOS as soon as travel restrictions, including ASQs, have been entirely removed. Hopefully that will be in January, if not, Songkran is a strong possibility.

If anything positive came from the pandemic it was not allowing Songkran hopefully the pandemic will fade away but ending Songkran would be wonderful.

a447
September 13th, 2021, 15:20
...but ending Songkran would be wonderful.

Not for the people for whom the celebration is intended.

Manforallseasons
September 13th, 2021, 15:33
Not for the people for whom the celebration is intended.
Unfortunately, what was meant to be a civilized religious/cultural time has become somewhat of a prolonged nightmare and has nothing to do with its original intent.

goji
September 13th, 2021, 15:55
Songkran looks like great fun. How could anyone not enjoy this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYHcO7lF4E

Oliver2
September 13th, 2021, 15:57
The "real" Songkran took place this year, at least in P's village. He participated in it as he always does. He visited his grandparents to anoint them (if that's the correct word) with water and his temple for the washing of Buddha effigies.

colmx
September 13th, 2021, 20:07
Thanks for the clip Goji really helped cheep me up! Especially spotting so many friends and my own self from a distance in the clip!

Dodger
September 14th, 2021, 08:45
I love Songkran - so don't get me wrong, but I was straining my eyes trying to spot a cute boy in the video posted above.

A few cuties in the crowd, but a lot of the guys looked like they were assembled to celebrate the Annual Song Teaw Drivers Awards Ceremony.

I spotted one cute boy at "counter 5:27" wearing a t shirt with the words "Malibu 55". He was squirting his gun...mmmm.

arsenal
September 14th, 2021, 10:27
Songkran. The opportunity for non Thai arseholes to parade about in gangs with water guns. The Mujahadeen Water Festival for cissies.

Oliver2
September 14th, 2021, 16:14
Receiving a bucket of iced water in the face while traveling back from Jomtien made me prejudiced. Never again did I go to Thailand in the period.

And yes, it hurts when you are traveling at 30mph.

My other memory of that ill-timed trip was being confronted by a very young child in Second Road , who pointed his hi-tec pistol in my face. I glared ferociously. "Don't you dare!" I said.

He did, and received smiles of approbation from his parents instead of a well-deserved smack.

arsenal
September 14th, 2021, 16:52
Little kid dressed as Rambo stood and pointed his gun at us while we were sat in the step in the thick of the Jomtien action but we were unarmed and so he didn't shoot. Delightful fun.

Several middle easterners blocked the way of a Thai lady pushing a cart on SoI VC so they could better splash her. Assault.

If one brings the other then better to have neither.

christianpfc
September 14th, 2021, 23:06
If anything positive came from the pandemic it was not allowing Songkran...
Looking at Covid numbers in Thailand, it was the travel for Songkran 2021 that set off the current wave.

...a prolonged nightmare and has nothing to do with its original intent.
In Pattaya and tourist areas of Bangkok. In the provinces, it's bearable. I spent many a Songkran in the provinces (to escape the madness in Pattaya and Bangkok) and it was okay. Except Bang Saen (seeside resort town in Chonburi popular with Thai) where I would like to see the sandcastles built for Songkran, but no way to get there, and to get a hotel. Traffic jams of biblical dimensions already kilometers away.

Songkran looks like great fun. How could anyone not enjoy this ?
Pictures and videos are treacherous. I participated in Songkran 2013 in Silom and spent most of the time squeezed sogging between oldies and fatties and women. The novelty of a foam party quickly fades and then it's just cold and wet.

...I was straining my eyes trying to spot a cute boy in the video posted above.
Exactly my experience in Songkran 2013 in Silom.

Dodger
September 15th, 2021, 09:27

I think the boy on the far right in the "Who I Really Meet" photo is a doll. Different strokes as they say.

You'll never hear me complaining about watching scantily-dressed boys with wet bodies working themselves into a frenzy. The atmosphere in Pattaya is a bit barbaric, but as long as I still have hair left on my head - it doesn't hurt to let it down once in a while.

Ruthrieston
September 15th, 2021, 10:17
My first visit to Pattaya in 1998 with a group of friends we arrived for the last couple of days of Songkran, but in those days things were still fairly civilised, and the water throwing stopped as the sun went down so you could still dress well and go out for dinner. In subsequent years it has descended into something I find simply offensive. In the ten years I have lived here now I always take refuge in my condo until 16th April and then I flee to Bangkok as the nonsense stops there on 15th, and stay there until 20th and Pattaya becomes safe again. Grump, grump, grumble, moan - blowing a loud raspberry noise!!

Oliver2
September 15th, 2021, 14:01
A year after my confrontation with Billy the KId, I recall reading in The Bangkok Post that the wife of a high-up Norwegian diplomat had been questioned by the police after she slapped a child who had sprayed her with a water pistol in the temple fair across the road from Boyztown during Songkran. I know where my sympathies lie.

Dodger
September 15th, 2021, 18:09
With Songkran being a "Non-Event" this past 2 years - 2022 will probably be a wash as well. If not, it will at least be much more subdued than in the past.

AdamKY
September 16th, 2021, 00:20
I enjoyed celebrating Songkran on the street, throwing water, a couple times before retreating to a temple or celebrating with a family in more sedate settings. For me, the water fighting wore thin pretty fast.

francois
September 16th, 2021, 01:03
A year after my confrontation with Billy the KId, I recall reading in The Bangkok Post that the wife of a high-up Norwegian diplomat had been questioned by the police after she slapped a child who had sprayed her with a water pistol in the temple fair across the road from Boyztown during Songkran. I know where my sympathies lie.

Not smart slapping someone else's child especially for squirting with a water pistol.

Blueskytoday
September 16th, 2021, 02:51
This is in my opinion one of the dumbest events ever..a holiday?? Spraying innocent people,,lets say tourists,,older folks, ruining their
clothes and day??? I can understand "friends" pouring water on friends, but strangers, tourists,,,etc. It is just stupid and silly...

DonMuang
September 16th, 2021, 05:02
I spotted one cute boy at "counter 5:27" wearing a t shirt with the words "Malibu 55". He was squirting his gun...mmmm.

Newtral from Laos
https://www.facebook.com/newtral.sihalath

Patanawet
September 17th, 2021, 20:07
I'm a long time resident so of course -- I hate it.