PDA

View Full Version : Gay bar news

christianpfc
September 7th, 2021, 20:57
A weird observation I made in Phnom Penh this year before the lockdowns: Blue Chili was usually full, with chairs and tables and customers standing on the street during their ladyboy lipsynch show, whereas Toolbox barely managed to get all seat occupied during their acrobatic dancing show by boys in swimwear/underwear.

Weird for me because I have absolutely no interest in ladyboy lipsynch, whereas for those who have it must be blatantly obvious that that place has more customers.

PapaBear
September 7th, 2021, 21:45
It's not weird. Blue Chili is always full on the weekends when their drag show is on. However, probably 70% of the crowd are straights and females. It is a go-to place for the backpacker crowd and the young hipster crowd on the weekends. The hostels even had organized pub crawls which took patrons to Chili to see the show.

You very seldom saw a woman or straight guys in Toolbox. Only gay guys who like to look at sexy guys in underwear. Of course, that market is a lot smaller. Not weird at all.

goji
September 7th, 2021, 21:45
A weird observation I made in Phnom Penh this year before the lockdowns: Blue Chili was usually full, with chairs and tables and customers standing on the street during their ladyboy lipsynch show, whereas Toolbox barely managed to get all seat occupied during their acrobatic dancing show by boys in swimwear/underwear.

Weird for me because I have absolutely no interest in ladyboy lipsynch, whereas for those who have it must be blatantly obvious that that place has more customers.

I noticed exactly the same thing in December 2019.
In recent years, the best stage show I've seen by twinks anywhere was in Toolbox. Even MFAS would probably like it.

Meanwhile Blue Chilli was full of people to watch the ladymen screeching. There really must be more demand for that sort of thing. Also, the days when one could easily find some freelancers in Blue Chilli are gone.

dinagam
September 7th, 2021, 21:46
... whereas Toolbox barely managed to get all seat occupied during their acrobatic dancing show by boys in swimwear/underwear.

Khmers are a tad too prudish to flash on the private parts during sexy shows unlike the nonchalance exhibited for instance in Sunee bars. If only they would lift up the skirt a little, I bet Toolbox would have a standing room audience and a regular following.

PapaBear
September 7th, 2021, 22:32
Ah, the good ole days of Toolbox before Covid. There were many nights when the skirts were lifted. Not full-on like Sunnee, but still sexy and a lot of fun.

a447
September 7th, 2021, 22:34
Any news about Space Bar?

PapaBear
September 7th, 2021, 22:37
Space was open, discreetly, until Saturday but after the Blue Chili raid closed their doors until the liquor ban is over.

goji
September 7th, 2021, 23:19
Ah, the good ole days of Toolbox before Covid. There were many nights when the skirts were lifted. Not full-on like Sunnee, but still sexy and a lot of fun.

Even in early 2020 pre-covid, nowhere in Sunee managed to offer the combination of cute lads and "full on", or should it be "full off" ?.
Rough trade & everything out in Nice Boys or cute lads and underwear kept on in Winner, except of course when they were sat with a farang i the corner.
Toolbox would be a very competitive proposition in Pattaya.

Brad the Impala
September 8th, 2021, 00:13
Equally Ram Bar in Chiang Mai was the same. Khatoey show in a "gay" bar, but really 70% of the customers seemed straight, although there were usually some interesting hangers on and cute staff.

colmx
September 8th, 2021, 03:39
Not forgetting that hardly any of the backpacker or FWC (Fat White Cow) crowd in Blue Chilli actually buy a drink. In addition the FWCs look down their noses at a farang that are in Khmer/Thai company. And heaven forbid they should hand out some tips!

I remember observing with a farang friend that they should really charge a cover charge, to at least get some revenue from those oxygen thieves!

They are even worse when they get to Heart Of Darkness and start robbing drinks from the Khmer tables (or mine!)

christianpfc
September 9th, 2021, 20:53
I haven't seen number of boys like that in my few visits this year. Maximum 5 boys.

Space Hair is still operating. Just before the April lockdown I had a look and liked what I saw (staff shirtless, dressed in Greek/Roman antiquity costumes), but the lockdown came before I could follow up, and since then now show, and the two times I went I think I was the only customer and the rest staff and friends.

One visit would have been enough for me, but a friend has a dog (Shitzu) and is looking for a mate. And I remembered there are three dogs at Space Hair, a brown sausage dog and two ??? (small dog, white long hair). So we went for a drink and a look at the dogs, but my friend didn't think they would be suitable as a mate. Else that would have been an interesting and unusual conversation "can I borrow your dog to mate with my dog?'. Instead of offing staff, offing a dog!

goji
September 9th, 2021, 21:23
I haven't seen number of boys like that in my few visits this year. Maximum 5 boys.
Presumably they have fewer customers, so need to keep staff costs down ?

One visit would have been enough for me, but a friend has a dog (Shitzu)

A man goes to a zoo. There was only one animal. It was a Shitzu.