View Full Version : Not Just Another Day In Pattaya

Manforallseasons
August 27th, 2021, 19:11
https://youtu.be/7hGGh-0dCQw

https://youtu.be/7hGGh-0dCQw

goji
August 27th, 2021, 21:00
Ref: Floods

It's remarkable how many times they dig the road up for resurfacing, drainage works etc, yet the floods are still horrendous.

gerefan2
August 27th, 2021, 22:23
How many were killed? None?

230 killed last month, mainly in floods in Germany...

Dodger
August 28th, 2021, 08:36
I had the pleasure of navigating this flood yesterday in a failed attempt to meet with my insurance agent.

Fortunately I was driving my Ford Ranger which was able to make it in-and-out of this mess. It was like driving down the middle of the Nile River on Pattaya Tai, and I ended up getting trapped by stalled vehicles and road barricades while attempting to drive through Soi Day/Night. I finally made it out without my truck stalling...would have made a great commercial for Ford Rangers.

Whenever you see them doing repairs to the underground pipes in South Pattaya you will notice that the pipes they commonly use are 10 cm diameter blue plastic pipes, which, according to standard practice, are used for internal plumbing, or external plumbing of controlled water flowage like residential water tanks, etc. - not for underground sewerage systems in major cities.

My guess for years has been that the majority of the money that was approved and allotted for the City sewerage system ended up in somebody's pocket, and those cheap plastic pipes (which are suitable for the toilet in your hung nam) is all they could afford. What you would expect to see being used for an underground piping system in a city the size of Pattaya would be 50 cm diameter concrete castings. Not anywhere close to what they've been using.

Welcome to Thailand!

Gaybutton
August 28th, 2021, 13:37
I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared. I haven't seen any news about it, so I'm guessing it did not flood. However, I wouldn't want to be stuck in that tunnel when the rest of Sukhumvit does flood.

Dodger
August 28th, 2021, 13:42
I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared. I haven't seen any news about it, so I'm guessing it did not flood. However, I wouldn't want to be stuck in that tunnel when the rest of Sukhumvit does flood.

I was a bit south of the tunnel yesterday but that section of Sukumivit leading up to the tunnel wasn't too bad at all. Maybe an inch of water on the surface at best. Understanding that the tunnel is at a lower level it's anyone's guess how much water accumulated. If it were me I'd avoid the tunnel entirely just to be safe or they may have to do another "cave rescue".

Manforallseasons
August 28th, 2021, 15:24
I was a bit south of the tunnel yesterday but that section of Sukumivit leading up to the tunnel wasn't too bad at all. Maybe an inch of water on the surface at best. Understanding that the tunnel is at a lower level it's anyone's guess how much water accumulated. If it were me I'd avoid the tunnel entirely just to be safe or they may have to do another "cave rescue".

Just a guess but the tunnel has been in the limelight so much that there is a good chance the drainage was done properly and there is so many opportunities to make money elsewhere on bad construction, why not tear up the sidewalks on beach road another 2 or 3 times?

goji
August 28th, 2021, 16:00
I didn't go out in that storm. I'm wondering how Pattaya's Sukhumvit tunnel fared.

Doesn't the tunnel slope downwards over it's entire length, with the north end lower ? That's my perception from looking out of the bus window, but such things can be misleading.

Dodger
August 28th, 2021, 16:54
Doesn't the tunnel slope downwards over it's entire length, with the north end lower ? That's my perception from looking out of the bus window, but such things can be misleading.

Believe it or not, even with a slight slope, they found that the tunnel floods in moderate to heavy rainfalls. This was discovered almost immediately after the tunnel was completed. (A project I called the "tunnel to nowhere"). To MFAS's point, with all the attention that drew the drainage problem has probably been corrected.

Thais aren't the best tunnel builders....but it sure looks nice.

Nirish guy
August 28th, 2021, 17:53
Thais aren't the best tunnel builders....but it sure looks nice.

They should have brought their Vietnamese neighbours in to build it as they have a lot of experience of building very successful tunnel networks it seems - only trouble is you have to be 5 foot 5 or under to fit in them all it seems !! ;)

goji
August 28th, 2021, 19:27
A quick look at the map confirms suspicions that much of Pattaya, including many areas in the flood video is 30~50 ft above sea level.
So if they put in large enough drainage canals/tunnels & holding ponds, gravity ought to do the rest.

arsenal
August 28th, 2021, 20:23
Pattaya floods. The reservoir, Lake Mabrachan was less than a quarter full last time I was there. If only there was some solution to both problems.

dinagam
August 28th, 2021, 21:05
Mark my words.
In a few months the officials will be talking about low water levels and the effects of drought on the water supply...

jimnbkk
August 28th, 2021, 21:57
I had the pleasure of navigating this flood yesterday in a failed attempt to meet with my insurance agent.

Fortunately I was driving my Ford Ranger which was able to make it in-and-out of this mess. It was like driving down the middle of the Nile River on Pattaya Tai, and I ended up getting trapped by stalled vehicles and road barricades while attempting to drive through Soi Day/Night. I finally made it out without my truck stalling...would have made a great commercial for Ford Rangers.

Whenever you see them doing repairs to the underground pipes in South Pattaya you will notice that the pipes they commonly use are 10 cm diameter blue plastic pipes, which, according to standard practice, are used for internal plumbing, or external plumbing of controlled water flowage like residential water tanks, etc. - not for underground sewerage systems in major cities.

My guess for years has been that the majority of the money that was approved and allotted for the City sewerage system ended up in somebody's pocket, and those cheap plastic pipes (which are suitable for the toilet in your hung nam) is all they could afford. What you would expect to see being used for an underground piping system in a city the size of Pattaya would be 50 cm diameter concrete castings. Not anywhere close to what they've been using.

Welcome to Thailand!

I saw on one video of the floods where water was erupting from one of the street drains, probably up on 2nd Road. The Pattaya Beach project was allegedly supposed to improve the drainage at the beach so more water could get to the sea. The videos and Dodger's words demonstrate that the 'project' did not achieve any goals along those lines.

Sen Yai
September 2nd, 2021, 21:13

Do they use those same 4" plastic pipes for storm water drainage in NYC too?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/01/weather/ida-flooding-tornado-forecast/index.html

Dodger
September 3rd, 2021, 12:45
[QUOTE=Sen Yai;282140]

Do they use those same 4" plastic pipes for storm water drainage in NYC too?

I think it's obvious that the size of the pipes in NYC didn't have anything to do with the floods caused by IDA.

latintopxxx
September 3rd, 2021, 13:50
explain...

goji
September 3rd, 2021, 14:57
Comparisons of flooding in Pattaya v NYC, Germany etc are not really like for like.

Pattaya has regular reports of flooding and these should be prevented by proper drainage. If, instead of the resurfacing perfectly good roads and putting in mickey mouse drains, they decided to put in some large drains and holding ponds, the problem would be solved.

NYC etc are freak occurrences and are more difficult to plan for.

Dodger
September 3rd, 2021, 15:33
explain...

I'll let you do the work...just read:

https://www.usgs.gov/news/usgs-responding-high-water-caused-ida-across-multiple-states

dinagam
September 3rd, 2021, 16:26
The wrath of God is undoubtedly very terrifying for the Muslim haters of the USA and Germany whereas the pacifist Thais are being spared much hardship.

Manforallseasons
September 3rd, 2021, 17:51
The wrath of God is undoubtedly very terrifying for the Muslim haters of the USA and Germany whereas the pacifist Thais are being spared much hardship.

As are the majority of Muslim countries.

arsenal
September 3rd, 2021, 17:53
I've experienced a few floods in Pattaya. A river in Soi VC that threatened to come over the steps of Nice Boys. A torrent, inches high running down the main drag of Jomtien Complex, flooding so bad that Boyztown was ungettoable. These floods have always been tremendous fun which wouldn't be the case at all if I lived there.

a447
September 3rd, 2021, 18:05
I remember being caught in a flood when I was enjoying an evening in Krazy Dragon.

I heard a commotion outside and went out to see what was going on, only to find water lapping at the door. I waited for half an hour but it just got worse. I thouggt I'd be spending the night in the bar with the guys. (What a horrible predicament! Lol).

I ended up walking back to the Ambiance Hotel in water up to my knees. My only worry was the amount of sewage I was wading through! Yuk!!!

I spent a loooong time scrubbing my legs in the shower.

Oliver2
September 3rd, 2021, 21:13
My memories of Pattaya floods include watching two guys catch a fish outside Funny Boys. I don't know whether they were brave enough to eat it. And the bizarre experience of being caught by a flood while we were in Central. Beach Road was was out of action under more than a foot of water.

P had the bright idea of trying to escape via the Second Road entrance, running back to tell me that the water was manageable there....and that taxis were available.

Ten minutes later, we were in Boyztown and it was bone -dry.

The vagaries of Pattaya weather. How I miss it!

gerefan2
September 3rd, 2021, 22:05
Undersize pipes???
Surely you haven’t forgotten this already?
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19565-Boyztown-13-Feb&highlight=Boyztown
Reminder...

goji
September 3rd, 2021, 22:20
Undersize pipes???

I haven't forgotten that. Those pipes are probably adequate for draining Boyztown and a small section of second road. The next two streets have something similar.

However, if we're designing a drainage system to prevent floods in ALL of South Pattaya and if we make the assumption that gravity requires the drains to flow to the sea, in the event of extreme rain, then by the time we get to this part of town, they would need some major drains, several metres in diameter. That's because they are moving water from further inland.

The photos of flooding and occasional reports of one new drainage system merely moving the water to flood another area seems to be proof that they don't have any suitably sized drainage for storms.

I presume it can't be that difficult to consider worst case flood depths and take into account the duration of rain to get that, which gives us a volume ow water per hour to be drained off. Then calculate the required size of drains and holding ponds to deal with that, plus a safety margin. Civil Engineers specializing in drainage ought to be all over that, otherwise there is no point in having experts.

francois
September 4th, 2021, 00:27
Undersize pipes???
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19565-Boyztown-13-Feb&highlight=Boyztown
Reminder...

Are they the 4 inch plastic pipes that Dodger recently reported that were being used for drains? :devilsh:

goji
September 4th, 2021, 02:11
Are they the 4 inch plastic pipes that Dodger recently reported that were being used for drains? :devilsh:

I would have thought the smaller drains ought to flow into something like this. Then they might stand a chance of avoiding regular deep floods.

Brad the Impala
September 4th, 2021, 06:11
Then calculate the required size of drains and holding ponds to deal with that, plus a safety margin. Civil Engineers specializing in drainage ought to be all over that, otherwise there is no point in having experts.

And your expert qualifications are ..................?

Dodger
September 4th, 2021, 08:49

Huh?

Dodger
September 4th, 2021, 09:32
Undersize pipes???

Those are exactly the type of concrete castings you would expect to see being used throughout the City. My guess (could be wrong) is that the farang business owners in Boyztown may have helped finance this.

The entire water management system in Thailand needs to be modernized. They've been kicking this around for years with input from experts from around the world. Not only have they been dragging their feet on this massive project, but Thais (in general) don't know what "preventive maintenance" is, and I would guess that the water pumps in Pattaya are both outdated (under capacity) and poorly maintained.

I hate to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but it actually is a mountain. The lack of investment in infrastructure improvements in Pattaya over the past 50 years, coupled with the fact that the funds needed to support improvement projects disappear into thin air, has contributed to Pattaya completely imploding. The population (in normal times) has exceeded the capacity of the city's infrastructure, i.e., electric systems, water drainage and purification, roads and highways, as well as the buildings themselves, many of which are falling apart due to lack of preventive maintenance. Generally speaking, Thais don't fix anything until it breaks. Well the City is now broken.

Their solution to this problem was to choose the only option available to them, and that was to abort thoughts of investing trillions of baht in Pattaya's infrastructure, and start investing in expanding tourist destinations farther down the eastern seaboard (from Na Jomtien to Rayong). Thus you have the EEC Project (Eastern Economic Corridor), which has been in full swing for the past 5 years.

The town where I live (Bang Saray) is the first town on the southerly path of the EEC. Three years ago I watched them dig up all of the drainage pipes along the ocean (which were those cheap small diameter plastic pipes), and replace them with those large concrete castings. This was done under the supervision of the Navy. Even during the most brutal torrential rain storms we don't even get a puddle filled with water on our roads - yet Pattaya (at least South Pattaya) is completely under water. According to what I was told before making a decision to invest in Bang Saray, this is all part of the EEC expansion. The work I just described has continued south along the coast in Sattahip and now making its way towards Rayong.

arsenal
September 4th, 2021, 10:24
I doubt the business owners of any ethnicity financed this Dodger. They did it during high season so getting to the bars involved walking along mud covered planks of wood. Didn't stop me though. A line of Taliban sub-humans wouldn't stop me getting to the boys.

Armando
September 4th, 2021, 11:42
Three years ago I watched them dig up all of the drainage pipes along the ocean (which were those cheap small diameter plastic pipes), and replace them with those large concrete castings.
Until around 2009 my soi in Bangkok would regularly flood during monsoon rains. Usually the depth was nearly a meter making even wellington boots a waste of time. That year, the BMA raised the level of the soi and replaced all the drainage pipes in our and adjoining sois with the large concrete ones Dodger mentions. Since then we have had absolutely no flooding, not even during the dreadful 2011 floods.

dab69
September 4th, 2021, 15:42
All the size queens here worried about the size of the pipes...

Thais have made major improvements in Bangkok and Pattaya on sanitation.
The major feature of Bangkok when I first arrived in 1997
was noticing the "stench of sewer" everywhere.

goji
September 4th, 2021, 16:45
I would have thought a drainage system ought to be like a river basin.
Small streams feeding into larger streams, then into small rivers which feed into large rivers.

So by the time we have collected all the water from Sukhumvit, third road, soi Bukhao etc, then by the time the piping gets to second road, the main drains ought to be much larger to accommodate the water from further inland.

Dodger
September 4th, 2021, 18:57

......Didn't stop me though. A line of Taliban sub-humans wouldn't stop me getting to the boys.

LOL...same, same.

I remember being in Sunee Plaza one night during a flood that was so bad that some of the seat cushions in Violet House were floating on water. I took my sandals off and started slushing around that knee-deep water from bar-to-bar without a care in the world.

One of our forum members was sitting in Violet House that night as well...and I remember him yelling out..."you're a crazy bastard" when I started splashing in the water with the boys. I wonder if he remembers that night?

christianpfc
September 4th, 2021, 22:10
... the BMA raised the level of the soi...
I noticed that wherever is refurbishment of roads or sidewalks, the new level is higher than before, as if they are trying to out-raise the sinking of Bangkok, or trying to get an advantage in case of flood over their lower-lying neighbors.

In case of roads, that means in some places the roads, after two new surfaces, are at same level as sidewalk. You can still see the two new surface levels at what used to be the curb/kerb, but is now just a gap between sidewalk and road.

But those on ground floor, who cannot raise their floor level because there is a ceiling, have to install walls to prevent water from sidewalk/road now being higher than their floor level from flowing into their house.

francois
September 5th, 2021, 01:11
I remember being in Sunee Plaza one night during a flood that was so bad that some of the seat cushions in Violet House were floating on water. I took my sandals off and started slushing around that knee-deep water from bar-to-bar without a care in the world.

Dodger, you must have been mau! Walking barefoot in knee deep water is a prescription for an unwelcome surprise.

goji
September 5th, 2021, 01:39
But those on ground floor, who cannot raise their floor level because there is a ceiling, have to install walls to prevent water from sidewalk/road now being higher than their floor level from flowing into their house.

Ideally regulations would require a high ceiling on the ground floor of all new builds.

Dodger
September 5th, 2021, 09:06
Dodger, you must have been mau! Walking barefoot in knee deep water is a prescription for an unwelcome surprise.

I think that's the reason my friend yelled out "you're a crazy bastard".

Sunee Plaza...in the middle of the night...definitely mau.

I never worried about where my feet were stepping - it was where my tongue was going to end up that gave me nightmares.

Dodger
September 5th, 2021, 09:20
I noticed that wherever is refurbishment of roads or sidewalks, the new level is higher than before, as if they are trying to out-raise the sinking of Bangkok, or trying to get an advantage in case of flood over their lower-lying neighbors.

According to reports that have been circulating for years, Bangkok, which was built on swampland, is 0.5–2 meters above sea level, and is sinking at a rate of 2–3 centimeters each year . It's predicted that a large part of the city will be underwater by 2030, 2050, or the conservative estimate of 2100.

Pretty soon they'll have to start constructing more elevated roadways - with escalators feeding down to the rooftops of the buildings. Either that, or relocate the capitol city elsewhere.

Personally I think they should just convert Bangkok back into the floating bordello it once was, and relocate the government to a remote military installation in the mountains somewhere, where all the Generals belong anyway.

Manforallseasons
September 8th, 2021, 19:34
Late last night and early this morning: https://youtu.be/k7h3sBYT09Y

Dodger
September 9th, 2021, 08:55
Wow!

Zero flooding around the bay in Bang Saray - but a shit load of garbage washed up on the beach this morning from the Pattaya Floods.

Looks like I won't be having coffee with my friends on Soi Yensabai today.

mr giggles
September 12th, 2021, 14:29
My memories of Pattaya floods include watching two guys catch a fish outside Funny Boys.

I just don't understand why there are extra fluids around the gay areas.... ;)