PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Update: From the Trenches

Dodger
August 26th, 2021, 15:37
I noticed a few surprising changes in Pattaya during my motorbike tour around town this week:

Many of the businesses which are supposed to be closed under the lockdown restrictions are now finding creative ways to keep operating - at least the best they can in the current climate.

Many are doing this by placing the products they sell outside the business on the sidewalks versus allowing customers to enter their businesses. I drove along the soi next to TukCom and saw several tables set up along the outside of the building displaying smart phones and accessories which were apparently carted down from one of the floors inside TukCom. This has been going on at TukCom for several weeks now.

I also noticed many other retail shops in various paces around town who had opened their front doors and placed a ribbon across the doorway. This way customers can order what they want from the seller without entering the business proper. Businesses all over town seem to have adopted this creative method of doing business which serves the public well and allows the businesses to at least make a little money. My hat's off to them all.

Many of the homeless people who could be seen along Jomtien and Pattaya beach fronts are now almost all gone. The Pattaya Mayors program to transfer the homeless to a Home for the Destitute in Banglamung appears to be working.

One exception is one of the homeless boys I mentioned in the post entitled "Homeless Boys" who seems to be refusing to relocate. I spotted an old blanket fashioned into a make-shift hammock with somebody sleeping inside near Dong Tan Beach. There was someone sleeping inside this contraption which was dangling between two trees, with an empty water bottle and a pair of sandals lying on the ground nearby. I had my suspicions who it was. I called his name, and out pops a head with messy hair appearing like a chicken that had just been hatched from an egg. It was him,,,smiling as if he didn't have a care in the world. I asked him what in the hell he was doing, and his response was..."they told us we couldn't sleep on the sidewalk anymore." After complimenting the lovely ocean view from his new dwelling, I handed him some food money and told him better days are ahead.

As hard as things are in Pattaya right now, it just refuses to go down. The businesses are ordered shut - but not all are. The massage parlors are ordered shut - but a massage can still be found. Restaurants are ordered shut - but food can still be had. The boy bars are ordered closed - but even that can be had too.

This is the greatest test of Pattaya's resilience - and I'm still betting on Pattaya.

Manforallseasons
August 26th, 2021, 20:35
As hard as things are in Pattaya right now, it just refuses to go down. The businesses are ordered shut - but not all are. The massage parlors are ordered shut - but a massage can still be found. Restaurants are ordered shut - but food can still be had. The boy bars are ordered closed - but even that can be had too.

This is the greatest test of Pattaya's resilience - and I'm still betting on Pattaya.

Resilience or adaptation? I believe like so many places in the world people are learning to adapt to a world with Covid there is no other choice. We all adapt from cooking at home to ordering delivery for food and use online retailers like Amazon or here in Thailand Lazada. Adaptation will lead to permanent changes. You mentioned massage places but even vaccinated are you comfortable going with someone knowing they might carry the virus, I am sure you realize the living conditions these workers live in like multiple customers and many sleeping crowded in one room surly the same applies to the boys left here that frequent hornet etc. I have a few regulars but don’t think for a moment that I am not concerned even about them.

christianpfc
August 26th, 2021, 22:59
...people are learning to adapt to a world with Covid there is no other choice...
The activities reported by Dodger are not adaptations to Covid, but to government-imposed restrictions of public life.

From the point of view of these people, and mine as well, the problem is not Covid, but how governments react to Covid. If Covid were the problem, you would not have to impose curfews and lockdowns, people would to so themselves for fear of getting sick.

Dodger
August 27th, 2021, 08:22
Resilience or adaptation?

I used the term "resilience" because to me this represents peoples positive reactions to a negative circumstance.

People reacting in a negative manner to negative circumstances would probably be an indication that they were lacking the resilience needed to adapt successfully.

I agree with the risks associated with having sex with the boys right now, but without some "risk" what fun would life be?

francois
August 27th, 2021, 10:48
I agree with the risks associated with having sex with the boys right now, but without some "risk" what fun would life be?

Dodger, you have written you only have sex with your boyfriend. Who are these others boys you are risking with?:devilsh:

Manforallseasons
August 27th, 2021, 11:16
Dodger, you have written you only have sex with your boyfriend. Who are these others boys you are risking with?:devilsh:

You have to envy Dodger he is the consummate optimist even refers to his 30 year old b/f as a boy, all this as he is sitting on the dock of the bay.

Khor tose
August 27th, 2021, 12:31
The activities reported by Dodger are not adaptations to Covid, but to government-imposed restrictions of public life.

From the point of view of these people, and mine as well, the problem is not Covid, but how governments react to Covid. If Covid were the problem, you would not have to impose curfews and lockdowns, people would to so themselves for fear of getting sick.

You majored in science. Wow. You should move to Florida where people believe as you do. You can see first hand how smart people are when left to their own devices. I sort of believe the leaders who listen to science and impose restrictions, and employers who refuse to let idiots work that are unvaccinated, and infecting those who are vaccinated. Like the leaders of Germany, I DO believe in science.

Dodger
August 27th, 2021, 14:25

Right now (fortunately) I don't have to risk it with anyone.

If I were unhitched I'm sure I'd be sampling the goods during these lockdowns. Maybe not as many boys...maybe not as often...but I would still have to be having some fun.

Dodger
August 29th, 2021, 10:24
......I am sure you realize the living conditions these workers live in like multiple customers and many sleeping crowded in one room surly the same applies to the boys left here that frequent hornet etc. I have a few regulars but don’t think for a moment that I am not concerned even about them.

You're "concerned" but you're still doing it.

a447
August 30th, 2021, 17:06
Posts unrelated to this thread have been moved here :

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22349-personal-finances

A447

dab69
September 2nd, 2021, 23:09
Home for the Destitute in Banglamung does not sound fun...

Can they still travel home?
Paying rent for a friend of a friend is getting expensive.
Trying to talk him into going home to his mother and stay for free.

Manforallseasons
September 3rd, 2021, 01:12
Home for the Destitute in Banglamung does not sound fun...

Can they still travel home?
It is the same one I am thinking of I know a couple are living in thr remnants of nice boys he should stay there he also asked me for money I declined.

goji
September 3rd, 2021, 04:38
...he also asked me for money I declined.

Based on my very limited observations, I conclude that some of those who ask for money ask every farang they know for money. Particularly if encouraged by some successful requests.
The only one who's asked me for money in the last year definitely has multiple donors, as revealed by some careless talk earlier in the year. I'd made one modest contribution prior to him letting that slip.

Meanwhile, none of the other regulars have asked or even dropped hints.

gerefan2
September 3rd, 2021, 05:35
Meanwhile, none of the other regulars have asked or even dropped hints.

Lucky escape!

dab69
September 3rd, 2021, 08:34
I have to delete my Facebook.
They take 30 days to actually delete the pages but becomes inaccessible immediately.
Then reactivate before the 30 day deadline.

I had reactivated after friends birthday anniversary.
Last night with my phone turned off I see I got 21 calls from him.
Deleted again today. Might last longer this time.
But I know he has money to last a while again.

cdnmatt
September 3rd, 2021, 08:43
What kind of friends do you guys have? There's one guy I'd say I'm taking care of, and a second who knows I'll help instantly if he ever asks for it but never does. I recently forced $250 on him, because I felt as though he mind was going to a dark place, and he was very grateful. He never asks though, or accepts when I ask.

The one I am helping on a consistent basis though never asks for money. I have to keep asking him if he needs any money, and most times the answer is no. Once in a while he'll reply with something like, "I have 200,000 kip left" (~$25), at which point I know to send, but that's the closest he'll ever come to asking for money.

Dodger
September 3rd, 2021, 12:52

Stop paying his rent and you'll make his decision to go home much easier.

Nirish guy
September 3rd, 2021, 17:24
I have to delete my Facebook.

You DO know that without your facebook setting you can just block the one person right ? Or you can keep them active so they cant still message you etc if you wish but you can block them from seeing your posts / pics etc (so they can't stalk you and hit you up for money if they see you out enjoying life on our facebook page etc - although if it gets to THAT stage that's when I'd block them anyway after their second message if they try that! )

That might be less hassle than deleting your entire Facebook page / app which cuts you off from other people that you may wish to keep in contact with maybe ?

christianpfc
September 3rd, 2021, 22:32
re birthday. One of my Thai friends had his birthday recently, and messaged me repeatedly the days before and after for a birthday present. But I had sent him money last month, and not refer to that as his birthday present. He is one of those who can run out of money any time, and I should stop sending money to him altogether.

re 21 calls. I think my record is 18 calls and 15 messages from one boy that I didn't answer. It's common sense, or lack of manners, that if I don't pick up a second call, I'm either busy or don't want to talk to him now and all further calls are futile.

Blueskytoday
September 3rd, 2021, 23:07
Just BLOCK him on facebook,,he cannot contact you at all...

dab69
September 4th, 2021, 07:37
Seven new openings in Nakhon Sawan for police officers
and he's good at getting money!