PDA

View Full Version : The future of the board

Zebedee
August 9th, 2021, 14:46
No disrespect to the OP, but this board has "done it's dash", there is nothing left to post about that has not already been done to death .
SP is indeed dead, so too is this board, it just needs to be buried. Its over. The virus has killed off any new "material " which was the life blood of the gay boards, Moses pull the plug from the life support machine and let it slip away with a little dignity. Sad but true.

Dodger
August 9th, 2021, 15:44
No disrespect to the OP, but this board has "done it's dash", there is nothing left to post about that has not already been done to death .
SP is indeed dead, so too is this board, it just needs to be buried. Its over. The virus has killed off any new "material " which was the life blood of the gay boards, Moses pull the plug from the life support machine and let it slip away with a little dignity. Sad but true.

We're on the verge of recovery from a pandemic that completely altered the demographics of Gay Life in Thailand, and one thing there won't be any shortage of in the near future, and that's interesting topics on this forum. We'll be talking about things like; which bars and other gay venues reopened, what the new staff is like, which boys returned from exile, what's becoming popular, what's not, as well as updates on what will hopefully be the reemergence of places like Sunee Plaza and Boyztown, which, as dark and dismal as they appear right now, just may surprise all of us when the dust settles.

Gay travelers who have been banned from returning to Thailand during this pandemic will want to know about these changes, and it's up to those of us who are here to provide that information. Regardless of which gay area becomes the most popular, Boyztown, Sunee, the Complex, or possibly a new area, the bar owners will rely on us to help promote their businesses and get the wind back in our rainbow sails where it belongs.

goji
August 9th, 2021, 15:57

1 This is off topic

2 I hope you keep posting, but if you really have had enough, it might be more reasonable to delete your own account than request the board to be closed.

3 This reminds me of past statements allegedly suggesting everything that could be invented has been invented (below). Whilst Thailand might be quiet at present, for obvious reasons, who knows what excitement the future will hold ?

"A comment by Ellsworth about the increased workload at the patent office, taken out of context and embellished, was apparently the source of an urban legend that a patent office official (Charles H. Duell in some versions) claimed that everything which could be invented had already been invented.[15] In his 1843 report to Congress, Ellsworth stated: "The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end."

4 I wouldn't want to see the gay forums close and the members subjected to the policy whims of Fűhrer Zuckerberg.

Oliver2
August 9th, 2021, 16:14
I found the criticism of the forum surprising. Most of us are marooned either in Thailand itself or thousands of miles away. Apart from Covid news (which I avoid), what else is there to comment on, other than issues like this? Perhaps it's my age but I enjoy recollections of the past, the Good Old Days, and reflections on the scene and what it may be again one day.

In fact, it is more important for me now than it ever was in that it keeps my links with Thailand alive.

Other gay forums are facing similar issues; if I'm fed-up with one or more, I stop reading them.

arsenal
August 9th, 2021, 16:25
Universal condemnation of evil Dr Moaning aka Zebs. Hahaha. A momentary lapse of reason I'm sure.

Zebedee
August 9th, 2021, 17:08
Nah, it is no longer fit for purpose. I know people do not want to hear that, but they are in denial.
Ok Moses, put her to sleep.

Nirish guy
August 9th, 2021, 17:19
The board as a "thing" works perfectly well so no reason ( technically) to scrap that.

A need for the board ( as others have already said ) is probably MORE in need now than ever as it is providing a source for holding people with a shared in interest, whether that be guys, Thailand or both together in some loose way and keeping our interest alive. Without that one by one as interest could wane we could fall away, go to other places or just "forget" about Thailand, the board helps to keep that interest ( and community dare it use the word) together.

In fact perhaps Moses should be writing to TIT and asking for some form of grant or special funding to help pay his hosting costs for the "service" he / the board is providing in keeping our interest alive and current in Thailand and the many things we all share interests in there.

So, I'm guessing at a time when Thalland needs all the help it can get in the months ahead and many peoples interest in returning is still current ( once allowed) I'm guessing your view that "the board should be gently put to sleep" view will be quite limited in its support I would think?

Zebedee
August 9th, 2021, 17:36
Nothing new, because there is nothing happening, not any poster's fault... even all the old memories of days long gone are exhausted and exhausting at this stage. Last man out, please turn off the lights.

Nirish guy
August 9th, 2021, 17:59
Alas thanks to Covid I fear that most of us could say the same about many other parts of our lives too, but that's still no reason to "give up and turn out the lights" on life, I prefer to be more of a glass half full man and whilst we're all on somewhat of a hibernation mode ( here on the board and in life in general) I like to believe that in time spring will come, lambs will be frolicking in the fields once more and life will return to someone close to what we hopefully all knew before, or if different then at least in a good and interesting way - as if we dont think that, then whats the alternative - throw a rope and give up? I think now - keep smiling and BUGGER ON I say - quite literally in most of our cases at least ! :-))

christianpfc
August 9th, 2021, 21:30
We're on the verge of recovery from a pandemic...
I would say we are at best in the middle, maybe just at the end of the beginning. Once the virus is under control (in one or two years?), it will take many more years for governments to reduce restrictions and for tourism industry to recover. We might never reach the level of tourism pre-Covid .

goji
August 9th, 2021, 23:35
Also, if anyone wants to close the board, I suppose they could make Moses an offer he can't refuse to buy it, then close it.

If they are not prepared to do that, the closure request is rather cheeky.

Who knows how much such a buyout might cost ? Some people like expensive toys.

Zebedee
August 9th, 2021, 23:45
Buy the board??? Any other suggestions, maybe buy a bar in SP, or BT?? Or open a restaurant in walking street? LOL

Guys this board ...is now following the same trajectory as the other gay boards...I'm simply acknowledging that, thats all, nothing malicious.

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2021, 00:04
Any other suggestions, maybe buy a bar

That's my plan! Although thanks to Covid, that's probably a year out.

Won't be in Thailand anyway, and will be in Vientiane instead. And it won't be a bar, it'll be a "gentleman's club".

Nirish guy
August 10th, 2021, 00:08
That's my plan! Although thanks to Covid, that's probably a year out.
Won't be in Thailand anyway, and will be in Vientiane instead. And it won't be a bar, it'll be a "gentleman's club".

We can hardly wait for that next instalment I'm sure ! :)

goji
August 10th, 2021, 00:20
Buy the board??? Any other suggestions, maybe buy a bar in SP, or BT??

Well, surely you're not suggesting that having bought the board, Moses should close it, whilst being unwilling to do that yourself ?

Whatever next? Would one wander into random bars in SP or BT just to tell them they should close ? :)

You're correct to point out that all the gay boards have less content now. Some might be due to a quieter gay scene, with fewer stories.
Some of it might be due to other distractions. I suspect there is a decline in forums of all types far beyond the gay scene.
Maybe 10~15 years ago, if I had a technical problem with some IT device or whatever, there would often be a sub forum devoted to that exact model with someone reporting all the answers I ever need to the problem.

There also used to be Lonely PLanet and Travel Fish forums. If I wanted to plot an overland trip involving a bus and some obscure border crossings, someone would have done it and would offer a few tips. Even pre-covid, one of these forums was dead and the other nearly dead.

These seem much less common now. Perhaps people waste their time with Facebook, Instagram or something else now. Maybe they just post a video on You Tube ?

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2021, 01:20

Hey, if bitcoin keeps going the way it has been in the past week, should be a pretty nice bar. You'll need to come check it out. :)

Nirish guy
August 10th, 2021, 03:07
Ha if my Tesla stock keeps going the way it's going you might have to send me the airfare ! :-)

Andaman!
August 10th, 2021, 07:57
“Time for bed” said Zebedee but Dodger, Goji and Oliver2 didn’t agree. Neither did Arsenal but, undeterred, “Time for bed” again says Zebedee…………Boing, Boing, Boing.

Armando
August 10th, 2021, 10:36
Gay travelers who have been banned from returning to Thailand during this pandemic will want to know about these changes, and it's up to those of us who are here to provide that information. Regardless of which gay area becomes the most popular, Boyztown, Sunee, the Complex, or possibly a new area, the bar owners will rely on us to help promote their businesses and get the wind back in our rainbow sails where it belongs.
There seems to be an assumption that the gay travellers who used to flock to Pattaya (and Bangkok as well, for that matter) will start to return in droves once the pandemic is more under control and international flights become far easier. Only a rare visitor to Pattaya I do have some happy memories, although few in the years leading up to the pandemic.

I do wonder, though, which tourists are going to return. Those who contribute to this Board, certainly. But how many does that total? Those, like me, whose visits were more around 2005-2015? Not so many, in my view. They will want to return to what they remember as a thriving Sunee and Boyztown. How long will it take to get these back up and running - if ever? With so little on offer, casual readers of this and other Thai Boards will surely wonder can the experience ever be anything like that of even a few years ago? In my view it was the volume of gogo and other bars that made Pattaya. And to a certain extent the sleaze factor. Will the sleaze ever come back? Will the volume of bars ever come back? Which is the chicken and which the egg? Lots of bars reopening but with few visitors in the first year thereby making them even more uneconomic. Or lots of visitors desperate to find something that no longer exists and who vow then to move on to pastures new for their next vacations? Do we live in a dream world when we expect everything will return to normal after a gap of well over two years and a near total meltdown of the tourist economy?

Dodger
August 10th, 2021, 10:49

Guys this board ...is now following the same trajectory as the other gay boards...I'm simply acknowledging that, thats all, nothing malicious.

Zeb...you're just getting depressed.

Snap out of it...throw some cold water on your face...smoke a doobie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMbSOLyyic

GWMinUS
August 10th, 2021, 11:43
Nothing new, because there is nothing happening, not any poster's fault... even all the old memories of days long gone are exhausted and exhausting at this stage. Last man out, please turn off the lights.

So Good Bye and enjoy your nights in front of the TV... :rolleyes:

Dodger
August 10th, 2021, 13:58
There seems to be an assumption that the gay travellers who used to flock to Pattaya (and Bangkok as well, for that matter) will start to return in droves once the pandemic is more under control and international flights become far easier.

Most of the expats that I know seem to agree that the return of gay travelers will be a very slow and gradual process. I've honestly never heard anyone suggest that gay tourists would be returning in "droves" any time soon...even the bar owners.

I do know that of the handful of farang friends I have that have been unable to return to Thailand because of this pandemic, ALL are chomping at the bit to return as soon as they can.

When the gay tourists start slowly and gradually returning, the Boys will start slowly and gradually returning.

arsenal
August 10th, 2021, 14:04
Come on now guys, let's cut Zebs a break. He's one of us, remember. During the Battle of Fuckoffarsehole he donned his rusty armour, mounted his trusty bovine, Ermintrude and rode into battle against the axis powers of mrgiggles, steviewonders and sglad.

Dodger
August 10th, 2021, 14:45
Come on now guys, let's cut Zebs a break. He's one of us, remember. During the Battle of Fuckoffarsehole he donned his rusty armour, mounted his trusty bovine, Ermintrude and rode into battle against the axis powers of mrgiggles, steviewonders and sglad.

I agree. Zeb is one of us and performed honorably during the Hydra Battles...but Ermintrude was a cow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKPUc-Bk6A

arsenal
August 10th, 2021, 16:20
Well it was either her or Brian and he was a snail.

goji
August 10th, 2021, 19:48

It might be a long wait. All of the past "tales" have been stories not easily verified by a site visit.

Seems about as likely as HMS Queen Elizabeth & USS Ronald Reagan visiting Vientiene.

scottish-guy
August 10th, 2021, 23:55
Far be it for me to pour cold porridge on anybody’s ambitions - but isn’t being blind a bit of a barrier to playing ‘mine host’ - I can see it now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXGzO2aDDRU

cdnmatt
August 11th, 2021, 06:25
Far be it for me to pour cold porridge on anybody’s ambitions - but isn’t being blind a bit of a barrier to playing ‘mine host’ - I can see it now:

I'm assuming you mean me, and my ambitions to own a bar in Asia?

Obviously, I'm not going to manage the bar myself. I'm way too busy with my software thing, and there's way more money involved in online software than I could ever make at some gay bar in Vientiane.

No, no.... Leo and Gohn will manage the place. I fully trust both of them, so that's no problem. Naturally, I'll put in the necessary processes to ensure I can keep my eye on things like inventory, expenditures, revenues, et al. Well, at least the best you can at a gay bar in SE Asia.

They'll run and manage it though, not me. I'll just be the weird, quiet blind dude who hangs out there all the time with a beer while working behind his laptop, and will be the guy who everyone knows pays the bills. That sounds great to me at least.

I even asked Leo about this before. Told him I wanted to start a bar, and asked him if he was capable of finding a bunch of cute, young guys to work as staff. He scoffed at me as if I'm a total idiot with, "yeah, of course, no problem, everyone here wants money". Alright, so problem solved there, He'll recruit.

mr giggles
August 11th, 2021, 07:34

Zeb, the lack of new posters or the bullying attacks they'll receive don't help the future of the board, again I will quote Rush:

'the newbie probably tried to find out the scoop through the internet. Which means they found one of the gay Thailand forums. What a scary introduction that must be! If they man up and post their questions . . . yikes! Doubtful they’ll get the answers they were looking for. But before the thread goes totally off the track (that’d be by responding post #5) they’ll be accused of being someone they never heard of; someone else will abusively tell them to use the search function; some old disgruntled Pattaya expat will tell them they will be ripped off, left with blue balls, and spat upon; and one of the bar owners in Pattaya will use their post as an excuse to promote his bar....'

Zebedee
August 11th, 2021, 11:44
Well, I believe what has happened is...the number of paid posters...yes folks, the guys that are getting paid to post here in order to give the appearance that the board is active...has outnumbered any genuine posters. Before the pandemic those guys kinda kept a thread running ( despite the fact they more than likely are not really interested in the topic ) , but now in desperation they post anything to earn their money and their fellow paid posters support them, with "likes" and comments. Provided that the few remaining genuine posters are aware of "the game" I guess no harm done, but if they are not aware, then they are bing duped.

Brad the Impala
August 11th, 2021, 13:30
Well, I believe what has happened is...the number of paid posters...yes folks, the guys that are getting paid to post here in order to give the appearance that the board is active...has outnumbered any genuine posters. Before the pandemic those guys kinda kept a thread running ( despite the fact they more than likely are not really interested in the topic ) , but now in desperation they post anything to earn their money and their fellow paid posters support them, with "likes" and comments. Provided that the few remaining genuine posters are aware of "the game" I guess no harm done, but if they are not aware, then they are bing duped.

Who are the paid posters that you are referencing? Is it actually feasible that this board makes profit enough to pay people to post? I thought your point was that the forum was on it's last legs and should be put to sleep!

Moses
August 11th, 2021, 15:36
payed posters? somebody has paranoia crisis

a447
August 11th, 2021, 15:49
Well, I'm not paid.

In any case, the board probably couldn't afford me!

Zeb, where on earth did you get that idea from?? Can you name the posters involved? How do you know this? Did they tell you they were getting paid? How much? Who is paying them? Are they paid by the number of words? Is it by the frequency of posts? Do they get a bonus for each thread they start?

So many questions left unanswered.

cdnmatt
August 11th, 2021, 15:54
Zeb has obviously went off the deep end. Maybe due to Covid fatigue, or who knows.

Quite obviously, nobody here is being paid to post on SGT. I don't know where the hell he would have pulled that form.

Nirish guy
August 11th, 2021, 17:18
Ha ha paid posters - ok, sorry I doubt that any / many of us are buying that one - that's one conspiracy theory to far I think :-)

As said above I doubt this board turns much IF ANY profit and whilst Moses may use it to help other parts of his business ( which is totally fine of course) I doubt 10 or 20 or us rambling on about whatever does much to keep him living to the standards he desires :-)

m also guessing that even if it DID turn a tiny profit that Moses "DOESN"T NEED THE MONEY" :-) lol

PS If I'm wrong Moses - please forward me your "Paid Posters Fund" application forms immediately - just please dont link that payment to a required quality of the posted content or I and most of us the rest of us on here are FUCKED and we might owe YOU some money ! :-)

gerefan2
August 11th, 2021, 20:45
The Board put up with hydras (even though the rules strictly forbade it),

They posted multiple times, day in day out. Often personal attacks to provoke a response. They (he) has suddenly stopped.

Why?

Brad the Impala
August 11th, 2021, 20:52
Could it be the SGT Hit Squad? The same thing happened to The Colonel.

I think there is a TV Series in this.

cdnmatt
August 11th, 2021, 20:56

They posted multiple times, day in day out. Often personal attacks to provoke a response. They (he) has suddenly stopped.

Why?

Dead from Covid, is my guess, but who knows.

mr giggles
August 12th, 2021, 12:14

Why?

Prove it or shut ya gob!

arsenal
August 12th, 2021, 15:43
12 good men and true looked at the evidence, found you guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and sentenced you to ignore.

goji
August 12th, 2021, 16:01
12 good men and true looked at the evidence, found you guilty beyond all reasonable doubt and sentenced you to ignore.
You're welcome to join us one day. I'm fairly sure the 12 (or more) are not missing anything.

mr giggles
August 12th, 2021, 16:18

good and true are debatable :dirol_mini:

so, what is the evidence big mouth?

(PS Bullying is not a trial and you are very far from being.... Your Honor)

Khor tose
August 12th, 2021, 18:46
12 good men and true
You have got to be kidding. :stop_mini: If not, thank you for the great laugh.

Nirish guy
August 12th, 2021, 19:26

What so basically you're saying that over 80% of the board now have him on ignore eh !? Wow thats a lot !! :-) lol

christianpfc
August 12th, 2021, 23:08
Or lots of visitors desperate to find something that no longer exists and who vow then to move on to pastures new for their next vacations? Do we live in a dream world when we expect everything will return to normal after a gap of well over two years and a near total meltdown of the tourist economy?
Greener pastures? For gay entertainment, I didn't find a better place than Pattaya, and everyone I spoke to, some traveled wider than I, said the same. I am not dependent on gogo bars to find gay entertainment (in my bedroom), I'm not even dependent on Pattaya, not even Thailand, but I enjoy Pattaya gogo bars and will return.

Many businesses were in decline anyway, and Covid was their death knell. Nothing will be as before. Even with the virus under control, it will take years for governments and airlines to lift restrictions imposed by Covid. That will make weekend getaways unfeasible. Even visa runs (from Thailand on a tourist visa) might be too torturous for me to continue like before Covid.

If I can't jump on a plane and go somewhere (not on a whim, but planned a week in advance) without going through tests, compulsory health insurance, and so on, I will think thrice if I can avoid that trip.

I'm way too busy with my software thing, ...

...ensure I can keep my eye on things like inventory, expenditures, revenues, et al.
Of course you are, as you have always been, but still find plenty of time to post.

Figuratively.

Dodger
August 15th, 2021, 10:07

Zeb...you clearly didn't take my advice and smoke a doobie.

Let's try this again:

Sit in a yoga position and start taking deep breathes...focusing on breathing in through your nose, and exhaling out your mouth. Try to block out any conscious thoughts of life around you. Let your mind disconnect from any/all thoughts until you start to feel like you're floating on air. Do this for 45 minutes a day after an hour of rigorous exercise...then smoke that doobie and put some Steely Dan on the stereo at medium volume. You should start coming out of this in a few days.

OK Moses, where's my check?

Zebedee
August 16th, 2021, 20:02
Zeb...you clearly didn't take my advice and smoke a doobie.

Let's try this again:

Sit in a yoga position and start taking deep breathes...focusing on breathing in through your nose, and exhaling out your mouth. Try to block out any conscious thoughts of life around you. Let your mind disconnect from any/all thoughts until you start to feel like you're floating on air. Do this for 45 minutes a day after an hour of rigorous exercise...then smoke that doobie and put some Steely Dan on the stereo at medium volume. You should start coming out of this in a few days.

OK Moses, where's my check?

Grow up, you old fool!

Dodger
August 17th, 2021, 11:46
Grow up, you old fool!

Not on your life!

vnman
August 18th, 2021, 22:16
Even if none of us would ever start a single new thread, this board would still be valuable. The stories written over the years and the information, suggestions and answers to questions have value in my opinion.

latintopxxx
August 19th, 2021, 02:34
paid posters....lol