PDA

View Full Version : Suspect now arrested for murder (and rape?) of Swiss national in Phuket.

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2021, 22:07
From the Bangkok post - "Police have arrested a 27-year-old Thai man who has reportedly confessed to the murder of a Swiss tourist, two days after her body was found at a local waterfall. The confession followed an intensive interrogation of the man....Police identified the victim as Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, the deputy protocol chief of the Federal Assembly of Switzerland. She was visiting the island under the “Phuket Sandbox” programme..."

( Why does that last line always give me a cold chill when reading about murder suspects in Thailand confessing after "intensive interrogations" )

Source :
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2161603/arrest-made-in-phuket-murder

cdnmatt
August 7th, 2021, 22:54
I hope they got the right guy this time. I remember watching a documentary about those two guys from Mynamar who were accused of the murder of a British tourist on Koh Larm (sp), and the entire thing was absolute bullshit.

I'll see if I can dig that documentary up. The police were absolutely pathetic in that case though.

latintopxxx
August 8th, 2021, 03:16
if there was rape you would think that a bit of forensic DNA type evidence is all it would take...save the intensive interrogation for later...personally when it comes to rapists I prefer the rowan atkinson method of pun ishment when he's the devil and is welcoming rapists to hell...can watch the clip over and over again and still find it hillarious...especially the bit about the french and lawyers

Oliver2
August 8th, 2021, 14:09
At least he isn't Burmese. I must applaud the Thai Police for their success in obtaining speedy confessions....come to think of it, are there cases of suspects not confessing speedily?

catawampuscat
August 8th, 2021, 16:52
And this thread is appropriate for the Gay Thailand because ?

latintopxxx
August 8th, 2021, 17:27
good ques...

Nirish guy
August 8th, 2021, 19:06
Oh sorry are we only interested if it's gay people being murdered in Thailand now? Personally I'm interested to hear of anything like this thats going on in the Countries I visit, but ok, but hey if you dont agree and dont think it's of interest to you can of course could always just scroll on past I guess ......the original story was posted by someone else in reference to how well the sandbox scheme might work when stories like this were coming out hence the follow up,

vnman
August 8th, 2021, 19:56
I hope they got the right guy this time. I remember watching a documentary about those two guys from Mynamar who were accused of the murder of a British tourist on Koh Larm (sp), and the entire thing was absolute bullshit.

I'll see if I can dig that documentary up. The police were absolutely pathetic in that case though.

I guess they've addressed your worries:

Given the intense pressure on police to solve the case, online sleuths have been weighing in with speculation that officers would look to grab a scapegoat quickly. Pol Maj Gen Nanthadet Yoinuan, deputy chief of Provincial Police Region 8, said this was not the case, as investigators had obtained firm evidence and the suspect had confessed.

goji
August 8th, 2021, 20:01
Thailand ranks #78 on this list of countries with the worst homicide rates.
Allegedly lower risk destinations include Singapore and Vietnam.
Higher risk destinations include The Philippines, Mexico, Colombia and the US.

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

Blueskytoday
August 8th, 2021, 20:12
So how did they find THIS MAN whom they said did this...???

goji
August 8th, 2021, 21:40
So how did they find THIS MAN whom they said did this...???

There's a CCTV photo of him near the scene at the top of the Bangkok Post article. That would put him on the suspect list.

There is a reference to substances on the body as well. A DNA test ought to nail it.

Brad the Impala
August 8th, 2021, 23:13
There is a reference to substances on the body as well. A DNA test ought to nail it.

Not necessarily given past history, but perhaps the management and integrity of DNA samples in Thailand has improved recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35170419

catawampuscat
August 9th, 2021, 12:50
I questioned the thread belonging in the gay Thailand section.
I never inferred it wasn’t interesting, simply questioned if it was appropriate here.

Nirish guy
August 9th, 2021, 16:53
I questioned the thread belonging in the gay Thailand section.
I never inferred it wasn’t interesting, simply questioned if it was appropriate here.

Admins - please feel free to move my entire thread to the "everything else" section as it would of course be more relevant to a non gay topic :) - as I do realise that on this busy board that we're all on it could well get washed away by all the other massive amount of "strictly gay thailand only posts" that we get flooding in to the board on a daily basis to the gay thailand section :)

Ps - just while you're at that can I assume from just a quick cursory glance that we'll also be moving the following threads recent threads too, including :
Video Tour of pattaya ( oops, I'm guilty there again it seems, SOZ ! ) :-)
Sitting on the dock
Digital Nomads
Covid at record high
BTS and ID
Expat vaccine Registration
Baht rates
Gertting Cremated in Thailand.......
(and many more)

As of course these posts are in not in any way GAY - I do realise that they may be of passing interest to us gays but as it appears that that's not reason enough to have them on the GAY section perhaps they too should all be moved to the "everything else" section also. OR - maybe we can just accept that it's a broad brush and some "gay / non gay" stuff that appears in the various section might appeal to some but not others - and those that it doesn't could just scroll on past, realising that there's always going to be the odd post that doesn't quite "fit" but still may be of interest to some of us ( as the comments added that others later would seem to show.) :-)

PS I believe this tread should perhaps be in the "forum" section - feel free to move that too then of course :)

christianpfc
August 9th, 2021, 21:00
Not Koh Larn, but Koh Tao. At least I assume that's the one you refer to, and that's the one that got a lot of media attention, even though rape or robbery and murder of tourists happens all the time. You could even say that Covid has saved a few tourists from being murdered in Thailand, because they had to stay home.

That was 2014, so indeed you could have been watching a documentary, now it would listening to a documentary.