PDA

View Full Version : AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Manforallseasons
July 30th, 2021, 13:03
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/two-doses-pfizer-astrazeneca-shots-effective-against-delta-variant-study-finds-2021-07-21/

Wednesday's study found that two doses of Pfizer's shot was 88% effective at preventing symptomatic disease from the Delta variant, compared to 93.7% against the Alpha variant, broadly the same as previously reported.

Two shots of AstraZeneca vaccine were 67% effective against the Delta variant, up from 60% originally reported, and 74.5% effective against the Alpha variant, compared to an original estimate of 66% effectiveness.

Moses
July 30th, 2021, 13:38
Israel +57% at past week,
Canada +57%
USA +54%
Finland +50%
France +45%
Italy +43%
Germany +38%
Russia -5%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

Manforallseasons
July 30th, 2021, 14:33
Russian Covid deaths reach new high: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-daily-covid-19-deaths-reach-record-high-third-time-2021-07-29/

Dodger
July 30th, 2021, 14:36
This seems to be the most important take-away from the article:

Two doses of Pfizer (PFE.N) or AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine are nearly as effective against the highly transmissible Delta coronavirus variant as they are against the previously dominant Alpha variant, a study published on Wednesday showed.

Forget about the efficacy percentages and watch the video posted on "Vaccines in a Nushell".

goji
July 30th, 2021, 14:37
Israel +57% at past week,
Canada +57%
USA +54%
Finland +50%
France +45%
Italy +43%
Germany +38%
Russia -5%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

This has no relevance at all to the topic. Israel and the US do not even use the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
You forgot the UK, with a -37% in the last week (Astra Zeneca is the most widely used vaccine), despite the removal of almost all domestic restrictions.
Not that a one week change in figures is a measure of efficacy.

If the objective is to cherry pick good data to show how well Russia is doing, well here are figures for deaths per million in the last 7 days (below).
Considering the terrible result, it's good to see the number of cases in Russia declining. I guess that's not due to Sputnik, as less than 25% of the Russian population have taken it. Why ?

World Deaths Per Million
3 Russia 37.21
9 USA 5.53
15 Thailand 9.50
16 Philippines 5.19
21 UK 5.67
23 Vietnam 1.92
41 Cambodia 9.61

Getting back to the topic, cutting your risk of getting covid to 1/8 th of the original level seems like a good result.

Moses
July 30th, 2021, 14:41
This has no relevance at all to the topic. Israel and the US do not even use the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
The UK is -37% in the last week (Astra Zeneca is the most widely used vaccine)
Not that a one week change in figures is a measure of efficacy.

If the objective is to cherry pick good data to show how well Russia is doing, well here are figures for deaths per million in the last 7 days (below).

World Deaths Per Million
3 Russia 37.21
9 USA 5.53
15 Thailand 9.50
16 Philippines 5.19
21 UK 5.67
23 Vietnam 1.92
41 Cambodia 9.61

Just wait till Delta will come to USA "in full" and you will see another numbers...

Russian numbers are results of peak Delta 4 weeks ago when we had here around 25000 sick per day.

In Moscow we had about 10000 sick per day and only 15% of vaccinated. 6 weeks ago mayor announced what business which has less than 60% vaccinated till August 1st will be closed till time when it will have 60%... And owners started to push staff to get vaccination. Now we have here about 50% of vaccinated and +/-3000 cases per day.

New announcement from mayor: business what has less than 80% vaccinated will be closed at October 1st.

Manforallseasons
July 30th, 2021, 14:43
Just wait till Delta will come to USA "in full" and you will see another numbers...

Stop watching RT…it is already there!

cdnmatt
July 30th, 2021, 14:54

You mean 92,000 cases today isn't high enough for you?

Moses
July 30th, 2021, 15:09
You mean 92,000 cases today isn't high enough for you?

It isn't "in full" yet... you will see...

goji
July 30th, 2021, 15:39

Russian numbers are results of peak Delta 4 weeks ago when we had here around 25000 sick per day.

Case numbers in the US might well go up. The death rate amongst those vaccinated will be very low.

The death rate among the anti-vaxxers will be an order of magnitude higher, but belonging to this tribe is voluntary. That's natural selection at work.

Brad the Impala
July 31st, 2021, 16:55
The death rate among the anti-vaxxers will be an order of magnitude higher, but belonging to this tribe is voluntary. That's natural selection at work.

And Nature's way to reduce the numbers of Republicans and conspiracy theorists.

latintopxxx
August 3rd, 2021, 06:41
...even though I'm instionctively center right in my political views I have to admit that I'm completely baffled by the anti mask/vaccine hysteria being propogated by mostly the republicans...its as if science does not matter...

goji
August 3rd, 2021, 16:07
...even though I'm instionctively center right in my political views I have to admit that I'm completely baffled by the anti mask/vaccine hysteria being propogated by mostly the republicans...its as if science does not matter...

I think this is an American thing.
Centre right voters in most of Europe seemed quite happy to wear masks, when required.

mr giggles
August 6th, 2021, 14:51

& yet y'all happy to wear your KKK masks...

Uranus
August 6th, 2021, 23:26
...even though I'm instionctively center right in my political views.
Centre right by American definition is right wing extremist by European standards.

goji
August 6th, 2021, 23:40
Centre right by American definition is right wing extremist by European standards.

Or alternatively, the centre in Europe is equivalent to the left if compared with much of the world, or even comparing Europe with itself in the past few hundred years.

latintopxxx
August 7th, 2021, 12:45
mr giggles....white sheet kkk...no way...white is fattening....would look like a disco ball (showing my age now) now if it was a nice shade of purple or black...

Jellybean
March 25th, 2022, 06:04
Oh no! Just when we thought things couldn’t get any worse, the UK Health Security Agency has identified yet another COVID-19 variant, which it states is interlinked with the war in Ukraine . . .

;)