PDA

View Full Version : Old Dogs - New Tricks

Dodger
July 29th, 2021, 13:11
I’ve already resigned myself to the fact that this global virus and its army of mutations is here to stay, and I just have to get used to it. It’s not going anywhere, and I’m not going anywhere either, so there’s only one option left on the table, and that’s for me to accept the fact that we have to coexist on the same planet, and, like it or not, I have to alter my lifestyle in a way that keeps my partner and I safe to compensate for this reality. The older I get – the more I resist change.

Similar to adjusting my lifestyle when I was preparing for retirement, I’ve been going through the same thought-process in preparation for the future. Some of the more tangible changes that have already been made include setting up Skype, Zoom, and Line, social networking capabilities to be able to communicate in real-time with friends and family members back in my home country. I have to accept the unpleasant reality that traveling internationally is not going to be in the cards going forward except for family emergencies.

I increased my Thai Health Insurance Coverage to include Covid coverage (Immigration mandate), as well as additional IP and OP coverage. Relying on Medicare as a backup in the U.S. to use in a pinch is now off the table.

Knowing that the virus and/or its mutations are here to stay, I’ve decided to strengthen my immune system for obvious reasons. I’m doing this by Increasing my daily exercise routine, having a better controlled diet (less carbs & fat + higher protein and nutrients), and boosting my immune system by increasing my daily consumption of “Probiotics”. I switched from Acidophulis (1 million cells) which I’ve been taking for years to Advanced Potency Probiotic (20 billion cells) to accomplish this. Note: Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s.

I now spend more time at (and in) the ocean. Again, good exercise, and breathing cleaner air also helps boost the immune system. Makes me hornier too…LOL

I’m currently shopping for a small boat to be able to start visiting the small islands off the coast. This will open up more opportunities for fishing, snorkeling, sight-seeing on the islands, etc., and also helps compensate for taking fewer road trips here in Thailand. This will be something new that Jai and I can do together that’s away from clusters of people and closer to nature.

We’ve already started cooking more at home and eating out less which is now ingrained in our lifestyles.

Change Sucks!

I’ll miss my annual flights home to visit family…eating what I want versus what I need, visiting periodic nightly entertainment venues, and the simplicity of life (not having to bother with new communication technologies, etc.), but, with a good tail wind and a little of help from Buddha, I should be healthier and even more active than before…and be able to breathe easier just knowing that I don’t have to try to control something that’s out of my control.

cdnmatt
July 29th, 2021, 13:41
It's not going to be at 17,500 cases per-day forever, Dodger. You're right, this will probably morph into an endemic and we'll never totally eradicate Covid, but don't fret, you'll be able to relax with other strangers later down the road.

arsenal
July 29th, 2021, 15:30
2000 cases of Bubonic Plague annually.
Over 200'000 cases of Leprosy in 2018.
1800 cases of Rabies in 2017.

They don't affect us and in time neither will Covid.

goji
July 29th, 2021, 17:09

I suspect Covid will be more like flu. Periodically coming around to infect the population and with death rates comparable with flu, after the population is vaccinated.
The UK may already at that stage, since the death rate amongst the vaccinated in the current wave looks like it might be below that of a bad flu season. We don't have all these lockdowns for flu & there is no reason to keep them in place for Covid.

The death rate amongst anti-vaxxers is somewhat higher, but that's the price for being stupid.

bkkguy
July 29th, 2021, 19:49
Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s.

[citation needed]

Dodger
July 29th, 2021, 20:49
[citation needed]

Good luck finding one that's current.

Clinical sudies involving probiotics and covid still underway and/or under peer review ay University of Colorado in the U.S. Conclusive results show Probiotics benefitial, specifically Lactobacillus acidophilus, at boosting immune system and helping to prevent covid. I have a family member who is a respected Nutritionist in the U.S who I rely on for this informaion. Hopefully reports showing these clinical results will be made public soon. I should have made that clear in my post.

If you're interested in boosting you immune system, fish oil with Omega-3 and a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement are also highy recemmended.

Khor tose
July 30th, 2021, 06:27

Bubonic plague easily cured with antibiotics
Leprosy stopped in its tracks by several effective drug regimens
Rabies now held off with one shot

Covid capable of mutating among the un- vaccinated anywhere, and becoming more deadly.

However, I love an optimist.
\

cdnmatt
July 30th, 2021, 06:40
Not to mention, Covid has 197 million reported cases so far. And that's official reported and tested number, so it's probably just a tad higher.

christianpfc
July 30th, 2021, 18:52

Those diseases are comparably low in numbers and geographically restricted.
To get something comparable to Covid, you would have to quote Malaria and HIV.
And these can affect everyone among the readership!

arsenal
July 30th, 2021, 19:20
You three missed the point entirely and I can't be bothered to explain it.

bkkguy
July 30th, 2021, 20:13
Good luck finding one that's current.

I'm not the one that needs to find it - you are the one making the claim, and your admission of a lack of supporting studies doesn't do much to help your argument regardless of how respected your family Nutritionist is !

Clinical sudies involving probiotics and covid still underway and/or under peer review ay University of Colorado in the U.S. Conclusive results show Probiotics benefitial, specifically Lactobacillus acidophilus, at boosting immune system and helping to prevent covid

and when the study is completed and is peer reviewed I would be interested to see the results, the hard part may be deciding how to extrapolate the results of a clinical trial using a controlled dose of a specific probiotic bacteria or even one or more specific commercial probiotic supplements to the results to be expected from any one of a number of commercial probiotic supplements available off the shelf - all of varying quality and content

I am not trying to prove you wrong, or claim you have made a wrong personal choice but supplements - probiotic or otherwise - can be expensive and can be of varying quality and efficacy and I don't think presenting "facts" like "Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s." is particularly helpful for others trying to make an informed decision - particularly the reference to Covid in the current circumstances!

but enough proselytizing from me - people can and will make their own decisions!

goji
July 30th, 2021, 20:39
Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s

If that proof is a double blind trial, with probiotics and a placebo, combined with either PCR testing or measurement of covid death rates in both the placebo and probiotic groups, conducted independently of the probiotic manufacturer and then peer reviewed, I shall have no problem in accepting the proof. A link would be appreciated.

There are lots of claims made about gut bacteria.

Whilst a lot of them may well be true, the current evidence suggests experts don't even know how to solve direct digestive issues ranging from flatulence to more severe gut issues, never mind the indirect effects on the rest of the body.
More interesting reading on treatment options....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_microbiota_transplant

Regarding other factors which MIGHT affect covid resistance, try vitamin D: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7973108/table/T1/?report=objectonly

Brad the Impala
July 31st, 2021, 00:14
A recent article on the topic in Popular Science states:

Studies on probiotics are all over the place. They might use different probiotic strains, doses, or treatment regimens. That makes it difficult to compare results or pool together the data from many studies and analyze them as a whole, a technique that provides a much higher level of evidence than a single study alone.

Research on the effects of probiotics on everything from mood, constipation, and immune function come back with inconsistent or low-quality results. “The evidence for probiotics in particular is very circumstantial and weak,” Chang says. This inconsistency in data reflects how much more we have to learn about how probiotics would even work, Chang says.

Alternatively you could trust a forum member, who says he has it on good authority from a family member that:

Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s.

https://www.popsci.com/science/do-probiotics-work/

Dodger
July 31st, 2021, 10:36
After reading some of the responses above, I want you to know that your questions regarding probiotics are valid.

I'm not anywhere close to being an expert in this field, but know and trust people who are.

If you are concerned about the lack of clinical evidence regading "Probiotics" then by-all-means don't take them.

The important point that I hope all of you are not missing, is the importance of maintaining and/or boosting your immune systems going forward...because it's never been as important as it is right now.

As an example - here's what I do:

Daily Exercise 1-1/2 hrs/day (includes 1 klm run in mornings)
Resistence Workout (weight lifting): 3 hours per session X 3 sessions/week
Swimming/daily

Daily Health Supplements:
Whey Protein (72 gr after workouts)
Puritan Pride Probiotic-10 (20 million cells)
Fish Oil w/Omega-3 (2,000 mg )
Dr. Linus Pauling Multi Vitamins (highly recommended)

I also consume Pumpkin Seed Extract and Saw Palmeto daily to prevent prostate problems.

Everything I've done regarding my health for the past 50 years has been "Preventative".

All of the above were recommended to me by the same family member I referenced earier, and, knock on wood, has kept me healthy so far. The last time I was sick (from anything) was when I contacted the flu during our hockey teams last game of the season in 1972. Since then I have not even had a nose snivel. I credit the acidoplulis (probiotic) I was taking for preventing any cases of diarea, urinary track infections, stomach problems, etc. as well as contributing to my strong immune system.

It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health and build your immune system.

The more ideas we share with members - the better it is for all of us.

Dodger
July 31st, 2021, 11:06
Probiotics and Covid (Interesting reading)

Highlights from Technical Review article:

Probiotics, prebiotics and dietary approaches during COVID-19 pandemic

Highlights of Review:

- SARS-CoV-2 infection resulted in immune dysfunction and gut microbiota alterations.
- Probiotics or prebiotics could improve host immune functions during the infection.
- Enhance gut barrier by diversified diet was recommended during COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210217/Probiotics-may-be-beneficial-in-COVID-19-treatment.aspx

Another helpful source:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924224420307214

arsenal
July 31st, 2021, 11:08
Dodger asked.
"It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health..."

Well until recently I was holidaying in Thailand 3 times a year, going with lots of gorgeous boys, enjoying fabulous al fresco dining, riding a Honda Click through villages and along coastal roads and generally living like a hedonistic emperor. That all made me feel in great health.

a447
July 31st, 2021, 12:44
Some people are just lucky enough to be born with a strong immune system and I appear to be one of them. (fingers crossed!)

Apart from the odd cold and once getting food poisoning (at the buffet in Laos airport), I've never been sick.

I even lived with a family in Germany for 5 weeks where the baby got swine flu and I didn't catch it, despite holding and kissing him every day. Other family members, however, caught the virus from him.

Go figure!

My diet is far from healthy, consisting of lots of cakes, biscuits, icecream, chocolate, chocolate icecream (!) and heaps of very spicy Asian food.

Is it in the genes, I wonder?

Dodger
July 31st, 2021, 13:00
My diet is far from healthy, consisting of lots of cakes, biscuits, icecream, chocolate, chocolate icecream (!) and heaps of very spicy Asian food.

Is it in the genes, I wonder?

Very likely - you're fortunate.

I was watching the Olympic's on TV with Jai last night and indulged myself with my favorite half-time treat: A fudge brownie with chocolate icing from our local bakery - topped with 2 scoops of chocolate chip ice cream and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Jai just looked at me like I was crazy...LOL

Now you know why I have to exercise so much.

Uranus
August 1st, 2021, 14:12
Dodger asked.
"It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health..."

Well until recently I was holidaying in Thailand 3 times a year, going with lots of gorgeous boys, enjoying fabulous al fresco dining, riding a Honda Click through villages and along coastal roads and generally living like a hedonistic emperor. That all made me feel in great health.

Enjoying life is the best recipe for boosting your immune system.

Dodger
August 2nd, 2021, 11:08
Enjoying life is the best recipe for boosting your immune system.

I couldn't agree more, but the problem is a lot of people aren't actually enjoying life right now.

Just look at the majority of members here who are stressed over not being able to return to Thailand...having lockdowns and other challenges on their home turf...and can't even walk down to the local pub for a beer, let alone get a piece of ass. What is there to enjoy?

christianpfc
August 2nd, 2021, 16:15
It would be interesting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health and build your immune system.

The more ideas we share with members - the better it is for all of us.

I live a healthy lifestyle - no smoking, no drinking, only fucking!

(The idea is from a Thai friend who introduced me this way to his Farang boss - an English gentleman in his 60s - in 2011 and that was the last time someone managed to embarrass me. Thai friend used this line before, so after "no smoking" I knew what was coming and thought "please don't!"). It hasn't harmed our friendship, both Thai friend and English gentleman are among my longest running friends in Thailand.

But the above is true. No smoking, no drinking, only fucking. Eat a lot of fruit. Go to bed before midnight and sleep 7 hours. Walk a lot. No fast food (all my life, I have been less than 10 times in McDo, KFC or similar, all on suggestion of a boy I was with), very little fizzy drinks (equivalent of 1 Liter of Coke per month). My only vice is chocolate and cakes. That is a problem in Germany where we have a large choice of delicious cakes at low prices, but not a problem in SEAsia (most local cake here is not to my taste).

I don't exercise. Walking is to get somewhere, and hiking is for sightseeing. I like boys with slim or muscular body, but I guess most of them have them by nature, not from exercise. Without exercise, I'm in good shape and could walk from sunrise to sunset, i.e. the limiting factor is not my physical strength, but daylight or need to eat or sleep. 5 years ago I used to run in Lumpini park and swim in public pool, but both was mostly as a means to meet boys, and when that failed, I gave up.

As suggested by other members, I started eating yogurt regularly in SEAsia. In Germany I eat yogurt daily because we have a large selection of good taste at low prices. If it wasn't for health reasons, I would not bother with the limited selection at high prices of yogurt in SEAsia. Occasionally, I take vitamin and mineral supplements, e.g. during lockdowns where one of my daily meals was plain steamed rice or boiled sweet potato.

I'm not overly fussy with food hygiene and sometimes you can say I deliberately expose myself to germs. E.g. drinking tap water everywhere, and natural water in National Parks in SEAsia (and in rivers and lakes that look clean to me everywhere in Europe - taking the existance of fish, algae, plants in the body of water as proof that it supports life.). When eating, I apply the 5-seconds-rule: if something drops from my plate on table or floor and I can pick it up within 5 seconds, I will still eat it.

goji
August 2nd, 2021, 16:39
As suggested by other members, I started eating yogurt regularly in SEAsia. In Germany I eat yogurt daily because we have a large selection of good taste at low prices. If it wasn't for health reasons, I would not bother with the limited selection at high prices of yogurt in SEAsia.

We have some similarities in regimes, although I am partial to alcohol.

If I'm staying somewhere for more than 3 days, I will make my own yoghurt. This requires a live yoghurt starter and a litre of UHT milk. If necessary, warm the milk to over 30C, mix in about a tablespoon full of the live yoghurt and leave at over 30C for 8 hours, or until it thickens, which may be earlier. If it curdles, the temperature is too high. The warming is easily done in a microwave, or by placing your tub of milk in hot water. If all has gone well, just reuse the last of this yoghurt for the next batch, so no need to buy more yoghurt to start it.

Advantages:
1 By fermenting my own, I know it really is live yoghurt
2 Lower cost. UHT milk is about 45 baht per litre. Double UK prices, but still much cheaper than yoghurt