PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airfares

August 17th, 2006, 07:33
For anyone travelling from the West Coast of Australia (Perth) around November I have just scored a flight on Thai for
$AUD 924.00 return. This is the best fare I have been able to come up with, with what I consider the best arrival times, (Late afternoon on both legs). enabling me to get to Pattaya at a civilised time in the evening. Previously I have travelled with Qantas via Singapore, but have had to disembark at Singapore, exit customs and immigration, collect baggage etc, before jumping a discount airline to BKK, for much the same price, and arriving in BKK late at night. The only downside is the outbound flight is via Phuket with a two hour layover, but no plane change.
I initially tried booking through Zuji ($946.00), but had problems with my Visa card, which had to be "verfied by Visa" which it refused to do - there suggestion was to use another card (after starting the whole booking process again) or jump through hoops to get the validity of my card verfied by my card provider, which I wasn't prepared to do. I rang Zuji twice and spent so much time waiting for the operators to get back to me I finally gave up. I also emailed Zuji and 4 days later I received an email telling me that my request had been noted and the would get back to me. 10 days later I am still waiting. I contacted Fligh Centre, and not only did they complete my booking immediately, I was given a $20 discount on the advertised Zuji fare ($946.00)- final cost $926.00.
Royal Brunei also offers fares with civilised arrival and departure times ($979.00), but the disadvantage with some of their flights is that there may be a 12 hour layover in Brunei. However, I have been told that this can be quite good as they will organise a bus tour etc for you to see the sights, shopping etc.
One thing I found with the likes of Qantas and Singapore airlines is that their airport fees etc are more expensive ($100 - $125.00 more) than other airlines. A rip off.
Would be interested if anyone came come up with other options/fares.

August 17th, 2006, 08:45
I'm flying Qantas sin-per-sin for 630 AUD including taxes, but the add on flights from and to Thailand will add another 120 AUD to that, so 750 AUD in total. But it would be worth paying the extra for a direct flight unless flying via Singapore was convenient for other reasons. Tiger airways do direct flights to Chiang Mai and Phuket very cheaply, so if either of these were your destination in Thailand then you might as well fly via Singapore as Bangkok.

lonelywombat
August 17th, 2006, 09:50
Previously I have travelled with Qantas via Singapore, but have had to disembark at Singapore, exit customs and immigration, collect baggage etc, before jumping a discount airline to BKK, for much the same price, and arriving in BKK late at night. The only downside is the outbound flight is via Phuket with a two hour layover, but no plane change.

That surprises me that you could not remain in transit. Was there a reason given, or did you have to purchase/collect your discount ticket outside

I have tried to get a seat on the Finair flight SIN/BKK/SIN the only One World flight on that route. Have tons of FF points

Get replies that Sing Govt will not permit Is there such a thing as fourth and fifth freedoms relating to airline routes.
I am sure that is the explanation I got.

August 17th, 2006, 10:49
Justin,

I have been down this track with you before:
I am talking about flights originating in Perth, not Singapore.

i.e
PER - SIN - PER not SIN - PER - SIN

There is no way I could ticket ex Perth for $AUD 630.00 including taxes. Taxes etc alone
are $200 - $300, with Qantas at the upper end of the scale. Therefore, are you saying that I can get a ticket from Perth for $300 - $400 (excluding taxes etc). I don't think so.
If you can prove to me that I can get a better deal in November, I will treat u to a night out in Pattaya (all inclusive) +++

Wombie, my experience travelling via SIN with Qantas (who never has connecting flights to BKK with any airlines within a reasonable time frame - always arriving in BKK about midnight) was about 18 months ago I think. I booked online for both
Qantas and Air Asia. The problem was twofold: Firstly, the major carriers will not transfer baggage to discount airlines.
Secondly, the AirAsia desk is outside the transit area at SIN, therefore you must exit customs etc, reclaim your baggage then check in at the AirAsia desk. As far as I am aware, there are no discount airline desks in the main terminal/transit area. This may have changed with the opening of Terminal 3 for discount airlines, but I would be very careful when making plans. Just too much hassle for this post-andropausal gal!
The only exception with baggage and onward booking may be Jetstar Asia, which is owned by Qantas, so there may be some arrangement with them

Regarding Finnair - I have flown previously with them, but that was before the onslaught of the discount airlines and I managed to get a reasonable fare, as I have done in the past with Swissair (no more). I dont know where u were trying to get a cheap fare with Finnair, but try there home site, they used to post specials there, unlike other mainstream airlines.

P.S. ummm Air India has specials frequently, hehehehe....

andrewcraig
August 17th, 2006, 11:10
[quote="me4thai"]
. I booked online for both Qantas and Air Asia. The problem was twofold. Firstly, the major carriers will not transfer baggage to discount airlines.

Secondly, the AirAsia desk is outside the transit area at SIN, therefore you must exit customs etc, reclaim your baggage then check in at the AirAsia desk. As far as I am aware, there are no discount airline desks in the main terminal/transit area. This may have changed with the opening of Terminal 3 for discount airlines,The only exception with baggage and onward booking may be Jetstar Asia, which is owned by Qantas, so there may be some arrangement with them[quote/]

That comes as a shock I would not like to have to do that after too many G&T. Not heard that before
I am going to the football with a qantas call centre clerk this weekend, so will make a point of getting some answers.
I too am interested to avoid flying via Sydney, so MEL/SIN/BKK/SIN/MEL is interesting as it allows me the direct flight each way. But not if there is reclaim baggage and recheck in
But redeeming FF points MEL/ BKK when I want them is bloody difficult. I want to be able to use FF points, not collect them
With the volume of direct flight seats released for jetstar, it might be easier to pick up seats in November, admittedly going through sydney. I hate that early morning transfer by bus

August 17th, 2006, 12:30
Yeah, same problem with Qantas FFs out of Perth - pain in the arse to get flights.
As I earn my FFs on my credit card, and not through flights, and want to have a virtually uninterrupted journey without plane changes or overnighting etc, I will be flying Thai in future and joining their FF programme.
Blew all my FFs recently on Biz Class to SIN (rip off) so not concerned re Qantas. Their Biz Class was crap apart from the seats.
If you want to pay for your flight and use your FFs elsewhere, how about this:

Flight: Thai Airways Intl Ltd flight 982
Depart: Melbourne, Australia (MEL) - Wed, 01 Nov at 5:30pm
Arrive: Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) - Wed, 01 Nov at 10:40pm

Flight: Thai Airways Intl Ltd flight 993
Depart: Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) - Wed, 15 Nov at 8:00am
Arrive: Melbourne, Australia (MEL) - Wed, 15 Nov at 11:55pm

Flight Duration: 9 hours - pretty good in my book

1 adult = AUD 725.00
Taxes and Surcharges = AUD 211.28
Service Fees = AUD 12.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Price = AUD 948.28

This price courtesy of Zuji - if you quote this to Flight Centre they will give u for $928

lonelywombat
August 17th, 2006, 14:46
As I earn my FFs on my credit card, and not through flights, and want to have a virtually uninterrupted journey without plane changes or overnighting etc, I will be flying Thai in future and joining their FF programme.

I have 700,000 FF points with Qantas and it galls me to not be able to redeem FF flights when I want them.

Joining Thai FF is no problem, getting FF points from your credit card to fly Thai is.

The only credit card I am aware of is AMEX. And their points are only 50% There are so many deals with AMEX I lose count
originally AMEX gave you 50% FF of what you spent in points. Then they introduced an extra 50% which made 75% of what you spent, and when you try and redeem for Thai, you have only 37.5% of what you would have got with Qantas.

There is an upside that not many are aware of in my circle anyway.You can purchase FF points dirt cheap once you are a member. If you are flying high season then it becomes a bargain

Re your download of flights , you are only half right.

The flight out to BKK which I always take, is nominally 9 hours most often quicker.

The morning flight back is via Sydney and is close to 12 hours. I fly the 0045 flight which is direct

Another bonus is these flights are the new airbus which I prefer to 747. (exceot at Xmas)

One alternative for you in WA is, Westpac offer FF on Malaysia so if you have to stop over, that is another alternative

August 17th, 2006, 16:03
Wombie, you meanie.

Darling, if youve got 700,000 ff points, why not blow 100,000 or whatever on Biz Class to SIN. u must be able to fly direct to BKK from MELB that way, surely and enjoy Biz Class lounge in MELB and SIN

???

PS: Please enlighten me about purchasing ff points. I know that I can purchase points as a top up providing I have a certain percentage of points depending upon the zone being flown, but can I purchase points any other way?

Tks

lonelywombat
August 18th, 2006, 07:20
Wombie, you meanie.

Darling, if youve got 700,000 ff points, why not blow 100,000 or whatever on Biz Class to SIN. u must be able to fly direct to BKK from MELB that way, surely and enjoy Biz Class lounge in MELB and SIN

PS: Please enlighten me about purchasing ff points. I know that I can purchase points as a top up providing I have a certain percentage of points depending upon the zone being flown, but can I purchase points any other way?

Tks

First I intend to use my FF for round the world flights either Biz or first . 330,000 for first class RTW, trying to avoid going via US, is my main problem ATM

Second, PER/BKK/PER is 6630 miles round trip
LAX/BKK/LAX is 16520 miles round trip
JFK/BKK/JFK is 17312 miles round trip [dont know the airport code for New York]

cut and paste from Thai website
If your account does not contain sufficient miles for your preferred Award, miles can be purchased to top-up your account up to a maximum of 30,000 miles.

Miles Mileage Purchase

Miles Thai Baht US Dollars / Euro

2,500 2,200 50.00

5,000 4,400 100.00

7,500 6,600 150.00

10,000 8,800 200.00

12,500 11,000 250.00

15,000 13,200 300.00

17,500 15,400 350.00

20,000 17,600 400.00

22,500 19,800 450.00

25,000 22,000 500.00

27,500 24,200 550.00

30,000 26,400 600.00

*Payable in Thailand in Thai Baht, within the European Union in Euro, in all other countries in US$ or the equivalent US$ amount in local currency. Purchased miles are nonrefundable.

Finally Royal Orchid Plus Awards can be redeemed by members, and for any of their Award Nominees.
Each memberтАЩs personal Award Nominee List can contain up to five names, and additions or changes can be completed instantly online