PDA

View Full Version : "Visitors" to your hotel

polarbear
July 10th, 2021, 18:58
Hi everyone I have popped by this forum on and off for several years. Thanks to everyone for providing some very useful insights.
Looks like Asia is where I'll be heading on my next vacation and I have always wondered about hotels in Thailand.
So far wherever I've stayed around the world I think the hotels have been clueless and haven't even noticed some young guy making his way up to my room or walking back with me through the lobby up to my room. But it sounds like in Bangkok and Pattaya hotels are more clued up. From what I have read some prohibit any visitors to your room, other places the receptionist wants a tip to look the other way.
I'm asking because it will influence my choice of where to stay in the country.
Should I maybe get an AirBnB instead? I've done that a few times, got a house or apartment, because there is no reception no one will really notice who you take back with you.

I would want to stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel maybe the Dusit Thani or Mövenpick, something like that. How would that work in anyone's experience, coming back at night with a boy you just offed from a bar? Or some guy you met on an app?

I'm also wondering about proximity. In Prague I recall some of the boys were fed up with their clients living far away, having to take a train etc. They were so happy when they found out I was staying in a nice hotel just up the street. Is that a factor in Bangkok/Pattaya as well, or would the guys be happy with a 15-20 min taxi ride to my place/hotel?

christianpfc
July 10th, 2021, 23:28
But it sounds like in Bangkok and Pattaya hotels are more clued up. From what I have read some prohibit any visitors to your room, other places the receptionist wants a tip to look the other way.
I don't know of hotels that prohibit visitors, but some charge a "joiner fee", even if you paid for double occupancy, to bring a local to your room.

I had hundreds of boys to my rooms mostly in Thailand, and some Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Taiwan, Brazil as well, and never had a problem. I stay at places that would be classed as 1 to 3 stars.

If you ride the taxi with boy together, 15 or 20 min should be no problem. If you want the boy from online dating to come to your place, some may balk or ask you to send money for taxi by online banking, and some will keep the money and not show up.

goji
July 10th, 2021, 23:50
1 The majority of hotels in Bangkok or Pattaya have no problem at all with joiners. As Christian says, a minority charge joiners fees, but if you do a little research, you can identify the ones that don't charge.
(i) Search the gay forums
(ii) Google girl friendly hotels and look for genuine non-commercialized recommendation lists. Hotels that allow girls in will be the same with boys. In Thailand at least.
(iii) Read the Terms & Conditions on Booking.com, or whatever website you use & make sure you book for 2 people.

2 If you want to try the gay scene, make it easy and stay close to the gay areas.

vnman
July 11th, 2021, 00:13
Also, there are 4 - 5 star hotels all around Bangkok and Pattaya. The same goes for good Airbnbs. You can usually find what you want within walking distance.

CambodiaVisitor
July 11th, 2021, 00:33
Hi everyone I have popped by this forum on and off for several years. Thanks to everyone for providing some very useful insights.
Looks like Asia is where I'll be heading on my next vacation and I have always wondered about hotels in Thailand.
So far wherever I've stayed around the world I think the hotels have been clueless and haven't even noticed some young guy making his way up to my room or walking back with me through the lobby up to my room. But it sounds like in Bangkok and Pattaya hotels are more clued up. From what I have read some prohibit any visitors to your room, other places the receptionist wants a tip to look the other way.
I'm asking because it will influence my choice of where to stay in the country.
Should I maybe get an AirBnB instead? I've done that a few times, got a house or apartment, because there is no reception no one will really notice who you take back with you.

I would want to stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel maybe the Dusit Thani or Mövenpick, something like that. How would that work in anyone's experience, coming back at night with a boy you just offed from a bar? Or some guy you met on an app?

I'm also wondering about proximity. In Prague I recall some of the boys were fed up with their clients living far away, having to take a train etc. They were so happy when they found out I was staying in a nice hotel just up the street. Is that a factor in Bangkok/Pattaya as well, or would the guys be happy with a 15-20 min taxi ride to my place/hotel?

I have been to Bangkok several times as well as Pattaya, Taipei, Hong Kong, Saigon and Cambodia, and I have had no problem getting boys in my room. Sometimes they need to turn in their ID with the front desk, and other times they can just walk up. No problem in that area ever.

Oliver2
July 11th, 2021, 14:42
A first-timer shouldn't worry about his visitor being asked to surrender his ID; it is common practice, even for gay hotels. And it's for our own protection. The visitors will expect it.

Dboy
July 11th, 2021, 23:55
Good advice in thread, but Dusit Thani (Pattaya) is not a good location. Pick something else.

Keith
July 12th, 2021, 15:18
Thanks for advice re Dusit Pattaya. I used to stay at the Dusit in Bangkok until it closed. Can you advise on a high end hotel in 'good' location?
Thanks

gerefan2
July 12th, 2021, 17:42
Avani Hotel Pattaya. Used to be the Marriott.

It is on Second Road about 400 metres from Boyztown.

About a 10 minute walk to Sunee Plaza and a 10 bus ride to Jomtien.
Heard good reviews but haven’t stayed there, too posh for me!

They also do ASQ if you need it.

Dboy
July 12th, 2021, 22:15
Agree Avani is good. The breakfast (buffet style) is really impressive. Best to check before booking though, as you can't trust ANYTHING being like it once was.

And with Sunee and Boyztown both in decline, I suspect that when things reopen all the fun will be moving to Jomtien. The straight scene is also in massive turmoil (Soi 6 bars are dark). Straight fun moving east of 2nd road...Tree Town, Soi Boomerang, LK Metro.

There are several really nice upscale restaurants in Jomtien, Might check out Rabbit Resort as a nice place to stay in Jomtien. 1 minute walk to the gay beach.

arsenal
July 12th, 2021, 23:15
Mövenpick is miles away on Sukhumvit on the way to Bang Saray.

A motorcycle taxi ride there (or on the back of your offs bike) would leave you too terrified to perform sexually. I suppose you could always have an.ice cream..

Captain Swing
July 13th, 2021, 04:30
For what it's worth (practically nothing), I considered the Avani on my last trip. several years ago. Their website prominently and sternly claimed that they had a "no joiners" policy. Might be best to check that, along with many other things, before booking. It did look nice, and has a very convenient location.

Jellybean
July 13th, 2021, 04:56
For what it's worth (practically nothing), I considered the Avani on my last trip. several years ago. Their website prominently and sternly claimed that they had a "no joiners" policy. Might be best to check that, along with many other things, before booking. It did look nice, and has a very convenient location.

Captain Swing, I’ve stayed at the Avani Resort & Spa for the last three or four years, the last time being on March 15, 2020. I was never asked to pay a joiner fee. Like many hotels, you simply check your ‘visitor’ in at reception and they hold on to his ID. When he leaves, reception ‘phone your room to establish all is well and, if so, they return the ID to your ‘visitor’. :)

Keith
July 13th, 2021, 14:46
Thanks! Though it looks like being some time before I can get to LOS!

pong
July 14th, 2021, 18:10
Strangely, ist indeed the case that in TH-but certainly not as a general rule, 4/5* HTLs tend to be more restrictive re visitors, whereas the cheaper ones hardly ever do.
Some chains are more notorious for that as others.
The trick in general is to book a DOUBLE room, do not expect to pay for a single and use it as double!
Mostly for BKK: many gay places also can offer for a small surcharge the rent of a room on the spot-these tend to be much much less as 5* however. there are also plenty of ''short time '' HTLs-mostly with curtained off parking spots in front. try it once just for the experience. If you hire a guy he will know such places

Newbie99
July 14th, 2021, 23:21
One problem is that people from Cambodia and other countries don’t have a Thai ID to give to a hotel.

goji
July 14th, 2021, 23:37
One problem is that people from Cambodia and other countries don’t have a Thai ID to give to a hotel.

They don't need a Thai ID. An overseas passport or a non-Thai ID card is also accepted.

Keith
July 15th, 2021, 14:45
I found in BKK that 5 star hotels never asked, at least not Meridien, Shangri-la or Dusit Thani. Staff just said good evening!

Manforallseasons
July 15th, 2021, 16:58
Under the present and near future conditions here in Thailand there is a certain absurdity to this thread.

goji
July 15th, 2021, 17:13
Under the present and near future conditions here in Thailand there is a certain absurdity to this thread.

It depends on one's attitudes to life and time horizon.

One could choose to be as miserable as hell, look at a the next 3 months and assume we're all doomed. If that's what you want ?

Or one could take a more stoical and positive approach to life.
This too shall pass.
People have seen far worse. I doubt it's going to be anything like living in Poland in 1939, with freedom not coming for another 50 years.
I imagine Thailand will be opening up in the next 4~12 months. Even now, contrary to reports, the Phuket sandbox still seems to be operating, although with a few broken promises regarding the terms and conditions.
So people there would have an opportunity to invite guests to their hotel. Which means the thread has relevance right now.

a447
July 15th, 2021, 19:29
I wish I could be as optomistic as you are, goji, especially as I consider myself as a glass half-full type.

But I can't see myself making it to Thailand for at least another 18 months. I've given up even thinking about it.

And who is to say that another variant won't emerge and send us back to the beginning yet again.

gerefan2
July 15th, 2021, 23:54
I wish I could be as optomistic as you are, goji, especially as I consider myself as a glass half-full type.

But I can't see myself making it to Thailand for at least another 18 months. I've given up even thinking about it.

And who is to say that another variant won't emerge and send us back to the beginning yet again.
Isn’t your problem getting out of Australia rather than getting into Thailand?!

a447
July 16th, 2021, 00:09
Yes, getting out of Australia is problematic, to say the least. I think we'll have to wait until 2022 or even 2023. A lot depends on when the next election is, as the decision on when to open up is very political.

The longer the virus is circulating the more chance there is of mutations appearing. There are no doubt more on the horizon as Indonesia will be fighting the virus for a very long time due to lack of vaccines and a burgeoning population. I doubt they will ever hit herd immunity.

I have little to no faith in the ability of Thailand to control the spread, either. It could be years before they are able to open up for tourism.

I don't know of my attitude is simply pessimistic; I prefer to think I've just abandoned any wishful thinking - that is now wearing me out - and instead am being realistic.

However, I'm going to watch the UK "experiment" with great interest, as it will point the way to the future, I think.

Manforallseasons
July 16th, 2021, 00:40
[QUOTE=a447;280783] I have little to no faith in the ability of Thailand to control the spread, either. It could be years before they are able to open up for tourism.
I don't know of my attitude is simply pessimistic; I prefer to think I've just abandoned any wishful thinking - that is now wearing me out - and instead am being realistic.[quote]

As someone on the ground here in Thailand it is clear the response has been a fiasco, and having had an easy time in the beginning it felt little need to buy enough good vaccines for the better part of its 80 million inhabitants, and now that the world is scrambling to secure vaccines Thailand finds itself near the end of the line, I hope there is a slim chance that the country will reopen with restrictions the second quarter of 2022 providing it can get its act together!
As many long to return consider the huge ongoing economic plight here and what you may be returning to.

gerefan2
July 16th, 2021, 06:06
[QUOTE=a447;280783]

As someone on the ground here in Thailand it is clear the response has been a fiasco,.

Unfortunately the Thais are their own worst enemy.

Not just in their response to this fiasco, but in practically everything.

polarbear
July 18th, 2021, 02:21
If you ride the taxi with boy together, 15 or 20 min should be no problem. If you want the boy from online dating to come to your place, some may balk or ask you to send money for taxi by online banking, and some will keep the money and not show up.
I won't have online banking but surely sending a Grab is okay? I've ordered an Uber for the same reason in a few places never had any issues.
Most of the boys seem to expect that you will send a taxi for them, and put them in a taxi to get back. Well at least in my experience.

polarbear
July 18th, 2021, 02:31
Strangely, ist indeed the case that in TH-but certainly not as a general rule, 4/5* HTLs tend to be more restrictive re visitors, whereas the cheaper ones hardly ever do.
That is what I kinda picked up between the lines from previous discussions and from when I googled this subject. Guess it comes down to some of the hotels wanting to "remain classy" and not have any riff-raff girls or boys making their pristine establishment look bad :)

The trick in general is to book a DOUBLE room, do not expect to pay for a single and use it as double!
Mostly for BKK: many gay places also can offer for a small surcharge the rent of a room on the spot-these tend to be much much less as 5* however. there are also plenty of ''short time '' HTLs-mostly with curtained off parking spots in front. try it once just for the experience. If you hire a guy he will know such places

Should not be a problem. I often book through sites like agoda.com and on there you can specify if your booking is for 1 or 2 adults. Sometimes the price is the same, sometimes it's higher especially if breakfast is included. And obviously I would want my companion to have a good breakfast before he leaves! Thanks for the tip, at least if I can show I have paid for an occupancy of 2 they would have less reason to give me any hassle.

polarbear
July 18th, 2021, 02:36

Well I would like to go to Thailand. Have never been. Furthest I got to in that part of the world was Hong Kong. I've been through a lot in the past few years including a major trauma and decided the best thing I could for myself is to go to places around the world I've never been to and that includes Thailand - which for me seems like a good starting point when exploring "Asia". I know I won't be able to visit for some time and when I do things will be different but I still like something to look forward to even if they are 1 or 2 years into the future. Is that so bad?

polarbear
July 18th, 2021, 02:39
Captain Swing, I’ve stayed at the Avani Resort & Spa for the last three or four years, the last time being on March 15, 2020. I was never asked to pay a joiner fee. Like many hotels, you simply check your ‘visitor’ in at reception and they hold on to his ID. When he leaves, reception ‘phone your room to establish all is well and, if so, they return the ID to your ‘visitor’. :)
Practically what do you do exactly? Walk up to the reception desk and present your boy? Or "I'm Mr Bear in 675 I will have a guest with me tonight" ?

polarbear
July 18th, 2021, 02:48
Avani Hotel Pattaya. Used to be the Marriott.
They also do ASQ if you need it.
ASQ?
The Avani does look lovely. Just wish those prices rn on their website will remain, £114 for a junior suite. Oh well.

I also seem to recall someone saying the boys size you up by asking where you are staying and for how long? No I don't want to impress but I find that one amusing. Then again I am in sales and it's normal to ask the customer what their budget is so...guess it's normal to suss out a potential punter. Perhaps I need to tell them I'm staying in a 2 star hotel so they won't expect a massive tip.

cdnmatt
July 18th, 2021, 03:31
Practically what do you do exactly? Walk up to the reception desk and present your boy? Or "I'm Mr Bear in 675 I will have a guest with me tonight" ?

No, what generally happens in those instances is security grabs you while you're walking in, checks ID of your companion to ensure they're not underage, then keep the ID. Afterwards, your companion can pickup the ID again from reception / security.

gerefan2
July 18th, 2021, 05:19
ASQ?..

Alternative State Quarantine, should you decide to do it in Pattaya.

christianpfc
July 19th, 2021, 17:02
I won't have online banking but surely sending a Grab is okay? I've ordered an Uber for the same reason in a few places never had any issues.
Most of the boys seem to expect that you will send a taxi for them, and put them in a taxi to get back. Well at least in my experience.
Sending a Grab to pick them up would probably work as well, but you should transmit the boy's number to the driver so he can call when he arrives. In some cases I paid for taxi (in Bangkok) after the boy arrived, i.e. the boy took taxi without the money to pay for it. Suggesting to take the bus never went down well.