PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

StevieWonders
July 1st, 2021, 05:12
As I predicted, the Phuket Sandbox is now open. The naysayers - including a447 and especially Dodgems - failed to understand from the outset that it's merely Phase One of a multi-phase re-opening. To have delayed the phase would threaten the entire timetable, and the Thai government simply was not going to let that happen. There are those who argue it won't be a "success" measured by the numbers who arrive. That's not the yardstick the government is aiming for. They want a sandbox within which they can tweak, abandon or expand the settings as real-life events dictate. They've even left themselves at "out" - 90+ new COVID infections in a 7-day period.

Will it be a success in any sense? As I've said several times the Chou Enlai answer is the most apposite at the moment - "too soon to tell". I hope so but in the face of the Delta variant I'm sceptical, especially of the Pattaya and Chiang Mai Sandboxes kicking off in September/October.

In recognition of Dodgems' unique contribution to the successful opening of the Phuket Sandbox the TAT is extending the use of the Amazing Thailand slogan so that he will henceforth be known as "Amazing Dodgems" In the meantime here's a selection from Dodgems' Greatest Hits:

Once this third-wave Thailand's encountering plateaus and/or starts to decline, and the majority of the Thai population is vaccinated, these reopening's have a chance of working. Until then it's all window-dressing and TAT's efforts will remain gridlocked.
Phuket Sandbox details provided in news releases continue to stress Phuket's headstrong determination to re-open to tourists "quarantine-free" on July 1st, although, to date, only 50% of the population has received vaccinations (we think), and the percentage of those who still need a second dose is not clearly shown in Phuket data. Lots of gaps in the reporting and the data as we've come to expect.

In any event, and I know others may disagree, I see July 1st as being a real long shot just based on the arithmetic. Evan if they extend the opening until September (which they'll probably end up doing), it will all hinge on the status of the covid surge Kingdom-wide, and the availability of an effective vaccine(s).
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22090-Phuket-Sandbox-update/page3 post #30

It's been a consistent drumbeat from a poster who claims to understand QA but clearly doesn't understand risk assessment or critical path management. First of all, there were multiple posts saying "it'll never happen". Then "The vaccine they're using will be ineffective anyway". Then "It will be delayed". And now?

Now - today - 200+ International passengers are scheduled to arrive.

Jellybean
July 2nd, 2021, 01:43
I think that these statements about multiple posters, in repeated breach of guidelines, should be deleted or at least moved to the hydra thread pronto . . .

Posts unrelated to the topic have been moved to the existing thread, More hydra talk, which can be found in the Feedback Forum by clicking on the following link:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22133-More-hydra-talk

StevieWonders
July 2nd, 2021, 06:46
Now the children are playing in a different Sandbox, here’s a firsthand account from one of yesterday’s arrivals-

https://madamemamuang.com/2021/07/01/phuket-airport/

StevieWonders
July 2nd, 2021, 06:49
And the cartoonists have their say (he must have read my OP)

StevieWonders
July 2nd, 2021, 07:32
And the government’s message - “This is worth it”. Let’s hope so.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2141807/phukets-reopening-kicks-off

arsenal
July 2nd, 2021, 09:23
Remove the posts regarding multiple handles and Brad's complaint and what you have is steviewonders discussing his own thread with himself.

StevieWonders
July 2nd, 2021, 09:39
I’m looking for an intelligent conversation.

Brad the Impala
July 2nd, 2021, 15:30
Remove the posts regarding multiple handles and Brad's complaint and what you have is steviewonders discussing his own thread with himself.

Actually what you have, in the absence of intelligent conversation, is some informative links to how the Phuket Sandbox is working on it's first day, including first hand experience. They confirm that flights arrived from Doha, Singapore, Israel and UAE.

For anyone considering going through the sandbox system, they were useful to read.

gerefan2
July 3rd, 2021, 00:22
I’m looking for an intelligent conversation.
You called?

Brad the Impala
July 3rd, 2021, 18:18
Todays update from the Bangkok Post. Particularly liked the "souvenirs" offered to the arrivals!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2142807/phuket-sandbox-attracts-almost-1-000

Also Thaiger update.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/sandbox-6000-registered-no-covid-19-yet-new-land-restrictions

StevieWonders
July 4th, 2021, 05:53
Remember those scoffing posts that no one would play in the Sandbox? I recall even my #1 fan* posted a silly comment about only 28 people. According to the Bangkok Post more than 1,300 arrived in the first 3 days:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2142903

* gerefan2. Does that mean he’s my #1 fan but Richard Gere’s #2 fan? Or I’m first in his heart and Richard Gere merely second? Or does the “2” simply stand for “too”?

gerefan2
July 4th, 2021, 06:39
* gerefan2. Does that mean he’s my #1 fan but Richard Gere’s #2 fan? Or I’m first in his heart and Richard Gere merely second? Or does the “2” simply stand for “too”?

None of that rambling nonsense.

Link removed under rule 3.2.3 (5). An unexpurgated version of this post can be found by clicking on the following link:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21855-A-right-old-pie-fight&p=280320&viewfull=1#post280320

Jellybean

StevieWonders
July 5th, 2021, 07:12
The view from the Phuket hotel industry (cautious optimism) - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2143527

StevieWonders
July 5th, 2021, 07:45
Almost 8,000 Certificate of Entry applications - https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2143275/phuket-reopening-sees-thousands-apply-to-visit

If living well within one's means and having a lot of fun doing it, one would be a fool not to part with the money.

StevieWonders
July 7th, 2021, 11:44
I wonder how many tourists realised that if they arrived as part of a tour group and one member tested positive they’d all be locked up. Amazing Thailand.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2144879

Sen Yai
July 7th, 2021, 12:41
I wonder how many tourists realised that if they arrived as part of a tour group and one member tested positive they’d all be locked up. Amazing Thailand.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2144879

I suspect that the sort of tourists who choose to travel as part of a tour group, wouldn't wish it to be any other way.

StevieWonders
July 7th, 2021, 12:47
I suspect that the sort of tourists who choose to travel as part of a tour group, wouldn't wish it to be any other way.There are advantages in being a misanthrope.

Blueskytoday
July 7th, 2021, 20:30
I thought ALL ARRIVING tourists in Phuket HAD TO 14 day quarantine anyway???

Brad the Impala
July 7th, 2021, 21:22

Significant difference between required to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days, and being able to quarantine throughout Phuket for 14 days.

Misanthropes would probably enjoy Phuket more than usual currently given the absence of hoards of tourists!

goji
July 8th, 2021, 00:35

The whole idea of the Sandbox scheme is instead of quarantining in one hotel room, Phuket becomes a quarantine island and you can travel anywhere on it.
So much more attractive than hotel quarantine.

If nothing changed between now and December, I'd be doing the sandbox scheme for the winter holiday. In practice, there will be lots of changes, in Thailand and elsewhere.

StevieWonders
July 8th, 2021, 05:21
The whole idea of the Sandbox scheme is instead of quarantining in one hotel room, Phuket becomes a quarantine island and you can travel anywhere on it. If only goji were not a Bookburner, he could’ve made a context-appropriate response to the hapless Blueskytoday. :devilsh:

StevieWonders
July 8th, 2021, 10:43

StevieWonders
July 9th, 2021, 12:38
12 of the tourists more closely quarantined because someone else in their tour party tested positive have asked to fly home - https://www.thephuketnews.com/sandbox-tourists-stuck-in-quarantine-ask-to-go-home-80618.php

Dodger
July 9th, 2021, 15:05
Phuket Sandbox turns into Venus Fly Trap.

You can only blame the fly's.

cdnmatt
July 9th, 2021, 15:06
Phuket Sandbox turns into Venus Fly Trap.

You can only blame the fly's.

Look at that Stevie, he doesn't have you on ignore afterall.

StevieWonders
July 9th, 2021, 16:07
Look at that Stevie, he doesn't have you on ignore afterall.I’m not sure what you are referring to. And Amazing Dodgems still doesn’t know that the plural of “fly” is “flies”. “fly’s” is the possessive of the singular “fly” or alternatively the abbreviation of “fly is”. Either way, he still playing to his strengths - writing nonsense.

christianpfc
July 9th, 2021, 23:46
There are health insurances that pay when you are positive but asymptomatic, but is there an insurance that pays when you are quarantined or hospitalized because someone else on your flight is positive?

This incident is more bad press for Thailand. They have little to lose health-wise from one or two positive arrivals, but a lot to lose in reputation and tourist numbers later.

StevieWonders
July 10th, 2021, 06:06
There are health insurances that pay when you are positive but asymptomatic, but is there an insurance that pays when you are quarantined or hospitalized because someone else on your flight is positive?

This incident is more bad press for Thailand. They have little to lose health-wise from one or two positive arrivals, but a lot to lose in reputation and tourist numbers later.As the news story clearly states, they were all members of the same tour group. It is not all the passengers on the same flight. Some insurance policies provide for “family members”; I’m guessing that it would have to be a tour group specific policy to cover this specific situation.

Dodger
July 10th, 2021, 11:19
The Phuket Sandtrap was destined to fail from the start.

No vaccine - no REAL reopening...not anywhere.

The rest of 2021 will be spent waiting for an effective vaccine distribution - while the Delta variant sweeps across the Kingdom claiming its victims.

Not good news at all - but a reality that people have no choice but to accept.

Standing back and waving flags for these TAT Sandbox Schemes, at a time when the lives of so many people are at stake, is short-sighted and self-serving to put it mildly.

Manforallseasons
July 10th, 2021, 11:31
These sandbox schemes are just that “schemes’ that will be washed away like sandcastles by a rising tide of Covid infections.

christianpfc
July 10th, 2021, 23:00
...at a time when the lives of so many people are at stake,...
Number of lives lost is insignificant, both for Thailand as well as worldwide. Similar numbers of people die from road accidents, smoking or drinking related diseases and other.

Every year 55 mio people die worldwide. At peak, there were 15 k death with (not from!) Covid daily, which makes 5 mio per year, which would be a 10% increase. However many of them would have died from something else anyway, so the real increase of mortality is lower than 10% and probably just above statistical noise.

Before the current outbreak in Thailand, there were more death from suicide for economical problems (due to Covid) than Covid.

This is a clear case where the remedy (lockdown, travel restrictions, limitation of social activities) is worse than the disease.

goji
July 10th, 2021, 23:58
Number of lives lost is insignificant, both for Thailand as well as worldwide. Similar numbers of people die from road accidents, smoking or drinking related diseases and other.

I expect certain people will again claim this is heresy, but so far 2625 people have died in 18 months of covid in Thailand, whereas according to some sources, 20,000 die every year in road accidents. So it's correct.
That's every year, not a once in a century pandemic (approximate frequency).

Meanwhile, in the UK with a similar population, about 1850 die on the roads

gerefan2
July 11th, 2021, 05:20
I expect certain people will again claim this is heresy, but so far 2625 people have died in 18 months of covid in Thailand, whereas according to some sources, 20,000 die every year in road accidents. So it's correct.
That's every year, not a once in a century pandemic (approximate frequency).

Meanwhile, in the UK with a similar population, about 1850 die on the roads

20,000 in Thailand v 1850 on the roads in the UK.
2635 in Thailand v 128399 of Covid in the UK.

dinagam
July 11th, 2021, 09:07
20,000 in Thailand v 1850 on the roads in the UK.
2635 in Thailand v 128399 of Covid in the UK.

There are proportionately more obese people with comorbidity in the UK cf Thailand?

Dodger
July 11th, 2021, 09:23
Before the current outbreak in Thailand, there were more death from suicide for economical problems (due to Covid) than Covid.

This is a clear case where the remedy (lockdown, travel restrictions, limitation of social activities) is worse than the disease.

Thailand has a potential disaster on its hands with the Delta variant sweeping across the Kingdom, and doesn't have enough vaccine for a single province - let alone the country. Adding to this threat, is the fact that the Sinovac vaccine that the majority of Thais are receiving doesn't appear to be effective at protecting against this variant. The hospitals over here are already filled to capacity, and testing for the virus is over-capacity.

This all adds up to a potential disaster unless the lockdowns can slow the spread of Delta - and the government can get off its ass and get some quality vaccine over here - and soon.

The economy if fucked. No two ways about that. And everybody knows why. No confusion about that either. But sometimes in life happy-mediums just don't work. And, unfortunately, this is one of those times.

Not too many people were over-concerned about wild fires in California until the climate changes caused "Super spreaders" that were simply impossible to contain and crippled the State. This virus is the same. Right now it's being somewhat contained, but with this new variant, if it gets out-of-control (similar to the California wild fires), all those numbers that you guys are seeing can can be tossed right out the window. It would be a disaster.

dinagam
July 11th, 2021, 10:28
Animal husbandry is very extensive in Thailand and the farmers have cheap access to ivermectin which has been proven effective in reducing the virus loads in patients according to reports from around the world.
This therapy should be promoted while waiting for the vaccines from rich big pharmas to arrive as the population succumbs to the infection in bigger numbers.

bkkguy
July 11th, 2021, 21:16

if you sit drinking and chatting with a friend for a few hours in a pub and he dies in a car accident on his way home this does not significantly change your, or your family members, or other friends you chatted to later that night, chances of dying in a car accident and deaths do not increase exponentially in this case, but if your friend is infected with Covid ... so we are not really comparing like with like here - communicable v's non-communicable diseases

I am not arguing that deaths from smoking, drinking, drug abuse, road accidents, etc are any less important than deaths from a new virus pandemic, but the tools to control, the timeframes to control, and the willingness of the government, the business community and the population, to implement the control tools differs for different situations

Before the current outbreak in Thailand, there were more death from suicide for economical problems (due to Covid) than Covid

and during the current outbreak?

you can pick any limited timeframe in any specific country to prove any point you want to make, but for Thailand now to make decisions for the short term and long term future of the country looking at the broader international experience with what is afterall a global pandemic may be more useful

goji
July 12th, 2021, 00:58
we are not really comparing like with like here

Too damn right, the road deaths are worse, but policy ignores them !

Of the people I know who died with covid, one was dying anyway, caught covid in one of our NHS hospitals and is hence recorded as a covid death. The other was 94. Looking at the UK stats, this common.

Meanwhile the average age of road traffic deaths is likely to be well under 40.
Am not sure about other members, but I'd rather die a few weeks early from covid than have died in my 20s, 30s or 40s in a traffic accident.

Then the Thai road traffic deaths are every year. Unless there's a radical change in government policy, it will be 20,000 per year in 2030, whilst covid might be a distant memory.

Then, to cut the road traffic deaths requires much less damaging interventions, with almost no economic side effects.

Armando
July 12th, 2021, 11:18
Of the people I know who died with covid, one was dying anyway, caught covid in one of our NHS hospitals and is hence recorded as a covid death. The other was 94. Looking at the UK stats, this common.

Meanwhile the average age of road traffic deaths is likely to be well under 40.
I for one totally fail to understand this odd desire to equate car accidents with covid. I realise that those in the debate are talking about deaths. But covid is far from all about deaths. It is about entire national and international economies. A car crash affects relatively few people. For the state, perhaps the time of a few cops, a few nurses and a doctor or two, and a company to tow away the wreck. Total cost to the state - not more than 50,000 baht.

This pandemic is affecting the lives and livelihoods of several millions of Thais and costing the country quite a large fortune. An entire industry that contributes something close to 20% of GDP is on life support. Top keep talking only about deaths is frankly nonsense.

cdnmatt
July 12th, 2021, 13:44
I for one totally fail to understand this odd desire to equate car accidents with covid. I realise that those in the debate are talking about deaths. But covid is far from all about deaths. It is about entire national and international economies. A car crash affects relatively few people. For the state, perhaps the time of a few cops, a few nurses and a doctor or two, and a company to tow away the wreck. Total cost to the state - not more than 50,000 baht.

This pandemic is affecting the lives and livelihoods of several millions of Thais and costing the country quite a large fortune. An entire industry that contributes something close to 20% of GDP is on life support. Top keep talking only about deaths is frankly nonsense.

That's his whole point. He thinks the lockdowns hurt more than they help, so we should all just fling the door open so everywhere in the world can get absolutely decimated like what happened in India a little while ago.

Then we can really get some strong varitans going...

dinagam
July 12th, 2021, 15:03
India is getting back on her feet after following alternative remedies like ivermectin etc instead of solely dependent on Dr Fauci and the big pharma cartels.

gerefan2
July 12th, 2021, 17:50
Then we can really get some strong varitans going...

What are varitans?

christianpfc
July 12th, 2021, 18:10
I for one totally fail to understand this odd desire to equate car accidents with covid. I realise that those in the debate are talking about deaths. But covid is far from all about deaths. It is about entire national and international economies. A car crash affects relatively few people.
This pandemic is affecting the lives and livelihoods of several millions of Thais and costing the country quite a large fortune.
I see it the opposite way. Without lockdown, a few people would be sick and a few people would die, and the rest go on with their lives as normal. It's the lockdown and other measures the governments take that affect the lives and livelihoods of everyone.

bkkguy
July 12th, 2021, 20:26
Too damn right, the road deaths are worse, but policy ignores them !
Then, to cut the road traffic deaths requires much less damaging interventions, with almost no economic side effects.

to have a significant impact on the road toll in Thailand would require a complete overhaul in driver education and license testing, a complete overhaul of enforcement of road rules, and a complete overhaul of driver attitude to safety and road rule compliance

apart from the fact that these changes would take decades to have an impact, can you perhaps see some obvious reasons why policy ignores this issue, and indeed why the interventions would actually be significantly damaging, though perhaps not to the people you were thinking of?

and actually I would argue the economic side effects would be significant, but positive - the reduction in lost man-hours and work years would increase productivity and drive export growth, though I don't think it would do much rescue the tourism or entertainment and restaurant sectors

I see it the opposite way. Without lockdown, a few people would be sick and a few people would die, and the rest go on with their lives as normal. It's the lockdown and other measures the governments take that affect the lives and livelihoods of everyone.

I am sure if you did a quick straw poll on people's attitude to what constitutes an acceptable "few people" in that sentence you would get a significantly different response in the UK and many European and South American countries compared to Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, and a few other countries

the balancing act between "acceptable" deaths and economic hardship is a difficult one that I would not like to be making, but rather than just rejecting lockdown I think it would be more productive to look at ways to reduce or better cope with the economic impact and make some short and medium-term adjustments to goals rather than just focusing on re-achieving pre-Covid goals on things like tourism

but if you seriously look at why Thailand is in the situation it is now you may possibly see that in many ways the confounding factors in managing COVID have similar roots to those for managing the road toll!

Dodger
July 13th, 2021, 17:39
PHUKET BRACES FOR MORE COVID CASES - THE SANDBOX IS A DISASTER

6 Phuket Sandbox tourists infected with COVID including 2 young sisters

PPHO braces for infections; Delta, Beta variants confirmed in Phuket

Phuket officials: Prepare for new entry requirements, or go home.

All Bangkok-Phuket buses cancelled

All schools in Phuket ordered closed for two weeks

Phuket's reputation as a desirable tourist destination during this pandemic has been ruined.

TAT and the PM wanted the credit for Phuket reopening - now they have to shoulder the blame for it being a disaster.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tv/phuket-braces-for-more-cases-all-schools-closed-new-rules-for-domestic-tourists-july-12-2227-Segments.php

Hey...where's my Award?

arsenal
July 13th, 2021, 20:08
The Phuket Sandbox scheme has now collapsed amid positive tests, quarantined tourists and many different variants.

As the boards most vociferous proponent of the scheme would steviewonders/mrgiggles like to make a statement explaining his thinking?

Nirish guy
July 13th, 2021, 21:03
To be fair a blind man ( no not you this time Matt just in general figure of speech) could have seen this failure coming a mile away the way things were heading - well, you would have thought anyway.....

Armando
July 13th, 2021, 23:54
Government: Phuket Sandbox going well, marred by fake news

The Phuket Sandbox scheme aimed at revitalising the economy and tourism and is going well, with tourists continuing to arrive, but its success has been marred by "fake news" on social media of its imminent collapse, a government spokesman said.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchan, secretary to the Prime Minister's Office minister and spokesman for the Centre for Economic Situation Administration (CESA), said false reports were being disseminated on social media that Phuket had been ordered closed because Covid-19 had spread beyond control.

Mr Thanakorn said this was not true. The Phuket Sandbox programme was still being implemented, with tourists continuing to arrive.

He asked people not to share such misinformation as it could cause panic .... "The infections found among Phuket Sandbox arrivals will not cause the programme to collapse. In this situation, the chance of seeing zero infections is very slim," Dr Kusak said.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2147983/govt-phuket-sandbox-going-well-marred-by-fake-news
13 July at 13:25

Strange that this was published almost 18 hours after The Phuket News report. Which is the fake news, I wonder?

Dodger
July 14th, 2021, 07:55
Strange that this was published almost 18 hours after The Phuket News report. Which is the fake news, I wonder?

With empty beaches, chained doors, tourists being hospitalized and quarantined with covid, Delta variant on the loose, and tourists being told - "if they don't like it they can go home", one could assume it's not going very well...LOL

If I want any FACTS regarding what's going on in Thailand (on any topic) I usually ask Jai and he reports back from information he gets on-line from Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. A large percentage of the Thai population do the same.

Thai newspapers constantly contradict each other and routinely provide false information which is the reason most of the Thai Educated Class avoid the newspapers. The major newspapers are controlled by the Ruling Class and sometimes used as a means of swaying public opinion. Kind of like Fox and CNN in the U.S.

Brad the Impala
July 14th, 2021, 13:42
With empty beaches, chained doors, tourists being hospitalized and quarantined with covid, Delta variant on the loose, and tourists being told - "if they don't like it they can go home", one could assume it's not going very well...LOL

Strange that you find this amusing. It seems to me that if the Phuket Sandbox fares badly, as a trial for re-opening areas of Thailand back up to tourists, then the numbers of locals suffering, in the way that you have described elsewhere, will only increase.

Dodger
July 14th, 2021, 14:39
Strange that you find this amusing. It seems to me that if the Phuket Sandbox fares badly, as a trial for re-opening areas of Thailand back up to tourists, then the numbers of locals suffering, in the way that you have described elsewhere, will only increase.

Brad, I don't find the situation in Phuket amusing at all. What I do find amusing is the fact that some people actually thought it would be a success during a time when a tidal wave of covid (including the Delta variant) is sweeping across the Kingdom kicking ass and taking names. A nine year old could see the writing on the wall. That's what so amusing to me. I've only been saying this for 5 months!

The locals will stop sulferering when they get enough quality vaccine in Thailand to keep the population safe so they can flatten the curve on reported cases - open their businesses again safely - and get the economy moving again. We don't have to like the solution. We don't have to agree on the solution. But, it's the only solution and we'd better find a way to live with it.

goji
July 14th, 2021, 16:33
I'm not sure what they expect here.

For a start, the initial requirement to vaccinate 70% of the population before starting the sandbox scheme clearly means they expect some tourists to have covid. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to have the vaccinations first.

So some incoming tourists have covid, which ought to be as expected. The requirement to test before arrival ought to reduce the incidence rate, but not eliminate the risk. Particularly if the tourists come from a country where it's easy to obtain a fraudulent covid test certificate, the testing might not help at all. There are ways to tighten that up, such as restrict the list of countries, or take a lateral flow test for every passenger at check in (only 30 minutes).

As for the 70% vaccinations, surely that's intended to stop the spread of covid ? Except it's very unlikeley to be enough. The R value for the original Alpha strain was reported to be between 3 and 4. With a vaccine that has 100% effectiveness at stopping spread, 70% might be borderline for herd immunity at R=3.33.
Except they now have the Delta strain which has a considerably higher R.
And no vaccine has 100% effectiveness at stopping spread.
We also don't know what vaccines were used on Phuket, but if it's Sinovac, it would be much less effective.

So they have some covid cases among tourists, which must be as expected ?
Are they finally realizing that vaccinating 70% of the population will not be enough ? (particularly if using Sinovac)

[Disclaimer: The above is based on common sense and I do not claim to be an expert]

Dodger
July 14th, 2021, 17:55

......Are they finally realizing that vaccinating 70% of the population will not be enough ? (particularly if using Sinovac)

Do we even know if they were able to vaccinate 70% of the Phuket residents?

They were struggling like all other provinces getting enough vaccine for even a small percentage of the population, and then came the claim (supported by TAT of course) that they hit their 70% goal. I really hate sounding so negative about this, but I personally don't buy it for a minute.

IMO...Once the third wave hit, accompanied by the Delta variant, and cases in Thailand starting skyrocketing, they should have postponed the Phuket Sandbox. By not postponing it they have put both Phuket residents and tourists at risk, and now, as unfortunate as it is, have ruined Phuket's reputation as a desirable vacation spot during and after this pandemic which could further damage the economy They were warned against this repeatedly, but decided not to heed that advice.

Brad the Impala
July 17th, 2021, 18:59
A reminder of the economic pressures to try to find a path forward.

But the dependence of at least seven million workers on tourism, which contributes to about 20 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product, has left the government with little choice but to start taking calculated risks to ease open the borders. Other Southeast Asian nations are watching closely.

By Thursday, 5,473 had flown into Phuket under the strict terms of the Sandbox. The largest number of arrivals have come from the United States, with the UK, United Arab Emirates, Israel and Germany all in the top five.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/thailand-hails-phuket-sandbox-quarantine-experiment-success/

While there isn’t any survey of arrivals to determine if they are returning expats or holiday-making tourists, they did cite the statistic that 858 of these arrivals were Thai nationals. That number, less than 17% of all arrivals, might surprise Sandbox sceptics that believed a large portion of those passengers were only Thai people stuck abroad during Covid-19 and finally returning home.

Finally, the meeting reviewed the hospital and vaccine situation in Phuket, noting that 109 beds out of 640 beds total are currently occupied, with 76 people currently being treated for Covid-19. Vaccinations were also resuming tomorrow with the Ministry of Public Health reserving more vaccines for Phuket.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/meeting-reveals-thai-vs-foreigners-in-phuket-sandbox-other-stats

Brad the Impala
July 18th, 2021, 15:57
Some encouragement for Russian and UK Tourists.

The Phuket Tourist Association believes that the results so far can be reassuring to the global travel community and a few upcoming changes could allow foreigners to come back in much higher numbers. Russian travellers were a huge demographic before Covid-19 and trade groups are urging the government to approve the Sputnik vaccine to open the Sandbox door to the Russian market to return in October. Another big game-changer is that British citizens currently have to quarantine upon returning to the United Kingdom as Thailand is on its amber list, but that restriction is lifting next Monday. No longer having to isolate after a Phuket holiday will likely see an increase in UK tourists arriving in Thailand.

Estimates by the PTA predict the Phuket Sandbox will see 18,000 travellers in July, 30,000 more in August, and 35,000 in September, bringing third-quarter totals to 83,000 travellers. 12,000 hotel rooms have been booked already, and even accounting for 20% who delayed their travels and 13% who cancelled their bookings that’s still between 8,000 and 9,000 new hotel rooms being filled this quarter. Luxury resorts that were seeing occupancy rates of under 10% are now booking out about 20% of their inventory.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-sandbox-looking-ahead-to-russian-uk-travellers

Brad the Impala
July 25th, 2021, 16:24
Yesterday saw 7 international flights arrive with 3 from Europe with Thai Airways, 2 on Singapore Airlines and one each from Emirates and Qatar Airways from the Middle East. Domestic flights have been added as well, including service to and from Pattaya and Koh Samui for the Samui Plus programme.

Covid-19 vaccination in Phuket has been relatively successful compared to other regions in Thailand. With a goal set to inoculate 466,000 people, 88% or 411,000 people have received their first vaccine, while 321,000 people, 69%, have been fully vaccinated with 2 doses. almost 451,000 people in total had registered already to get their vaccines.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/new-covid-19-infections-drop-still-worrisome-for-phuket-sandbox

vnman
July 26th, 2021, 00:52
I watch TheTiger News 5 days a week and the information is pretty good. They are certainly not "yes men" and are critical enough. However, Thailand had to start somewhere and they did. They allocated their vaccine inventory primarily to Phuket and I do believe that there is a high % of vaccinated people, Thai and foreign.

These are all building blocks to slowly get to the new normal, whatever that is. For example, first people came to stay 14 days in Phuket, but now you are allowed to visit a lot of other places after only 7 days. Each change will appeal to different - and eventually - more and more people. Some of us would only go when Thailand is fully open, and others are willing to deal with some restrictions.

Personally, I can't stand the mandatory Covid insurance. When I get COVID, my European health Insurance is going to pay 100% Which means, I'm paying for an insurance that I will never use. Well, I'm satisfying some bureaucrats. We are talking about Thailand and things don't always make sense. I think that we all have long lists of things that we don't agree with, or understand.

What they are doing now (IMO) is a very good way of slowly opening up the country where possible.

Blueskytoday
July 26th, 2021, 20:05
I believe Thailand is the ONLY country demanding insurance coverage, and at USD$100,000 in order to enter the country...CRAZY in my opinion....no wonder many will not go...

Brad the Impala
July 27th, 2021, 00:56
I believe Thailand is the ONLY country demanding insurance coverage, and at USD$100,000 in order to enter the country...CRAZY in my opinion....no wonder many will not go...

You are obsessed with this tiny detail, and despite repeatedly being pointed to where you can obtain this for a minute premium, compared to the cost of your trip, you keep moaning on and on about it like an elephant's delayed orgasm. Thailand is very far from the only country requiring this cover. There are over 30 countries listed here!

https://www.william-russell.com/blog/which-countries-require-health-insurance-for-entry/

vnman
July 27th, 2021, 01:21

Try Cambodia...Not only do you need the insurance, but you also need to give them a $2000 deposit.

Only @christianpfc is that crazy :p

cdnmatt
July 27th, 2021, 03:43

I just did some shopping around for insurance, as I'm now planning to go hang out in Malta for about 6 months while I wait for Asia to open up again. It's $180 for 6 months of $100,000 coverage. That's hardly going to break the bank.

Even if they didn't mandate insurance for all visitors, why in the world would you ever travel internationally during a pandemic without health insurance? You'd have to be a total moron to do that.

christianpfc
July 29th, 2021, 22:38
Try Cambodia...Not only do you need the insurance, but you also need to give them a $2000 deposit.

And I'm glad I did! But the requirements when I entered Cambodia where on the cusp of "not viable, stay in Germany or go somewhere else (South America)". It was about 80 USD for Forte (Cambodian company) health insurance against Covid for a month (other health insurances in principle accepted, but Forte was straightforward and worked for everyone else, whereas with other health insurances you would need documentation that it fulfills all requirements).

christianpfc
July 30th, 2021, 18:37

This is a slight misrepresentation of procedures. To enter Thailand, you have to apply for a COE (not required for Cambodia), and you have to submit your ASQ booking. There is an initial outlay of money for the booking, at least a partial payment. Some hotels want full payment and don't allow cancellations or alterations!

I prefer the Cambodian way. The money is in my pocket until I am on Cambodian soil, and I don't have to book a hotel (compare hotels, inquire about vacancies, check their small print).

These two (no COE, no ASQ booking) contributed to the fact that I went to Cambodia instead of Thailand. While I had everything arranged for Cambodia, but was still in Germany, Thailand allowed entry for tourists. I could have changed my travel plans, the only loss would have been the visa for Cambodia. But I'm very uncomfortable with COE and ASQ booking, and I didn't want to be among the first to enter Thailand, neither did I want to wait a month for reports of others who entered on a tourist visa and passed ASQ.

Brad the Impala
July 31st, 2021, 00:00
Thailand trying to protect the first seeds of the new tourism industry in Phuket from the current local surge in infections. Well, new tourism industry because the sandbox only started four weeks ago. I would love to go, but sadly I am not convinced. Too many complications for me, others are more intrepid.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-reports-daily-record-17669-coronavirus-cases-2021-07-29/

cdnmatt
July 31st, 2021, 01:34
From what this says, the Phuket sandbox experiment might get suspended shortly. 125 cases in the past week, while the government set a weekly threshold of 90 to keep the program open. Schools and venues closed, I guess.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/phuket-tourism-experiment-risks-suspension-as-covid-cases-surge-1.1633243

Dodger
July 31st, 2021, 12:03
Too many complications for me, others are more intrepid.

After reading your constant stream of positive comments about the Sandbox for the past 5 months, I'm surprised you're not already there.

I guess there are too many complications and too much risk for YOU - but it's OK with you if other people stick there necks out.

Go figure!

Brad the Impala
August 1st, 2021, 14:57
My windows for a trip are in the next couple of months. Had I gone to Thailand, being able to travel outside Phuket, after the sandbox quarantine, to see friends and family would have been an important part of my trip. Sadly it’s the rapid covid spread in the rest of Thailand, and the restrictions that causes, that was the final element in the decision not to travel at this time.

Meanwhile over 13,000 tourists have made use of the Phuket sandbox in the first month, providing some benefit to the local hospitality businesses, and I am happy for them.

Dodger
August 2nd, 2021, 07:39
My windows for a trip are in the next couple of months.

Just in time for the Pattaya Sandbox.

Enjoy your visit .

Brad the Impala
August 5th, 2021, 18:27
Why Phuket's Sandbox pilot project matters to other islands in Asia

"To be fair to Thailand, this is designed to be a longer-term project, building up towards the peak season from December to March," Gary Bowerman, the director of travel trends and research company Check-in Asia and co-host of the South East Asia Travel Show podcast, tells CNN Travel.
"And when you are the first to re-open in the region, it is inevitable that you are going to get some things wrong. But Thailand has been able to stress-test some of its airports, hotel systems and new-era protocols. At the moment, the whole travel ecosystem is trying to work out what happens next, and this is made more difficult by the rapid spread of the Delta variant in Southeast Asia."

Useful article from CNN that explains the significance of the Phuket Sandbox not only to Thailand but to other asian countries as well.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-phuket-sandbox-model-asia-cmd/index.html

goji
August 5th, 2021, 19:16
I very much see the sense in the Phuket sandbox as a pilot scheme. Test, optimise, expand. If the clowns in charge of the show are capable of doing that.

I've also taken the view that Thailand ought to resolve at least the current covid wave before the peak season, when I would like to take a holiday.
However, at the moment performance is not very impressive, with half hearted lockdown measures, resulting in cases continuing to rise every day and a very slow vaccine procurement programme. So my confidence is decreasing slightly at present.

gerefan2
August 5th, 2021, 22:58
Agree 100% with goji.

I’m hoping to return, to avoid the UK winter, in either mid November or mid December. That’s 3 or 4 months away and a lot can happen in that time.

If the entertainment areas are still closed I will look elsewhere.

I’m hoping that is not going to be the case.

vnman
August 6th, 2021, 05:21
Interesting Sandbox experience. First time I've seen a video from this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3PDOhHP6oI

Sen Yai
August 6th, 2021, 07:09
That is a good and informative video. Thanks for posting.

At the beginning I thought this was just another whiny-voiced net-nerd vloging useless trash, but I stuck with it and I came to like his presentation style and enjoyed hearing his first-hand experience - from someone it seems who had no previous experience of Thailand. Recommended.

Ruthrieston
August 6th, 2021, 08:00
The rape and murder of a Swiss lady tourist in Phuket is likely to hurt the Sandbox nonsense rather badly I think. RIP poor lady.

Nirish guy
August 7th, 2021, 01:35
The rape and murder of a Swiss lady tourist in Phuket is likely to hurt the Sandbox nonsense rather badly I think. RIP poor lady.

Interesting that the BBC etc aren't (yet) referring to any possible rape allegation there yet though and indeed aren't even reporting that the lady was murdered (yet) but merely that she was found dead and are quoting that an autopsy report is due later.

I see though that they are reporting that "local officials" are taking about it being murder and that the Thai foreign ministry have already sent their condolences on the "murder" of a Swiss national to the Swiss Ambassador. So it seems that someone in Thailand isn't "on message" to "say nothing until we find out what happened here" quite yet perhaps.

Dodger
August 7th, 2021, 08:42
Interesting Sandbox experience.

Thanks for posting.

Very informative video, but no surprise for those of us who live in Thailand who knew how screwed up this Sandtrap would become.

Anyone considering visiting Phuket in 2021 should watch this video first - and then book their tickets for somewhere else.

As a side note: The guy who recorded this video has the patience of a saint.

Dodger
August 7th, 2021, 12:57
Below is another video shot by a tourist caught in the Phuket Sandtrap.

He mentions the word "closed" about 30 times and then the video ends.

Come on Brad (the Dali Impala), I'm sure the tourists that made the mistake of going would love to hear your explanation as to how this Sandtrap was actually a huge success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhXyjnyjjg

arsenal
August 7th, 2021, 13:35
Perhaps it was a quicksand trap and it swallowed steviewonders.

vnman
August 7th, 2021, 16:11
Thanks for posting.

Very informative video, but no surprise for those of us who live in Thailand who knew how screwed up this Sandtrap would become.

Anyone considering visiting Phuket in 2021 should watch this video first - and then book their tickets for somewhere else.

As a side note: The guy who recorded this video has the patience of a saint.

I agree with Nirish guy, there should be more "like" options. I would have given this one a :D

Andaman!
August 8th, 2021, 23:57
Here’s a much more upbeat report on a sandbox trip to Phuket.

https://www.turningleftforless.com/whats-travel-like-now-thailand-and-phukets-sandbox-stay/

vnman
August 9th, 2021, 01:28

https://www.turningleftforless.com/whats-travel-like-now-thailand-and-phukets-sandbox-stay/

It was a good read but it still sounded to stressful for my liking.

We only received our CoE on the Wednesday and we were flying on the Friday. To be fair, the Thai Embassy were very helpful as we uploaded documents only to find that ‘human error’ meant that we had to start all over again – 4 times!

And considering that their plans involved a trip to Bangkok...

Bangkok is now in strict lockdown and all domestic flights are cancelled! So, we’re stuck in Phuket! We did consider moving to Koh Samui, but decided against it, as the journey home could be complicated enough.

I think the same as Gerefan2, 4 months is a long time and I hope they can improve the vaccination process.

Lastly, I hope that we foreigners are taken a bit less for granted. I see many YouTubers that have invested interest talking about how great Thailand is, but I always had a them and us feeling. We are them, the farang. A total different mindset than for example Vietnam. I'm not trying to be too controversial, it was just something that came to mind because I still enjoyed each and every visit.

cdnmatt
August 9th, 2021, 07:22

Honestly, I'm not sure how upbeat that is. That sounds horrible.

I much prefer Malta. Show up with proof of vaccination and a negative test within he past 72 hours, and that's it. You don't even need to alert them you're coming, you just show up and get stamped in for 90 days.

goji
August 9th, 2021, 16:13
Interesting Sandbox experience. First time I've seen a video from this channel.

This guy seems to have done everything possible to make his trip a failure.
He attempted to arrive on the first day of the scheme & then, if I'm paying attention, only stayed for a week or so. After flying from Seattle via Doha.

Our own risk of problems is much lower if we allow people like him be the guinea pigs. Monitor how they get on for at least a week, via various sources, then when we understand how the scheme is operating in practice, get our own trip booked.
I'll happily use one of these sandbox schemes in the winter, if Thai covid cases & restrictions are on a downward trend & if it's the best holiday option I can see.

Nirish guy
August 9th, 2021, 16:45
I much prefer Malta. Show up with proof of vaccination and a negative test within he past 72 hours, and that's it. .

So just about the same access rules as a whole heap of other European Countries now then too ? And so with all those wide ranging choices available to you, you picked "Malta" as your choice !? Hmmmm ok.

christianpfc
August 9th, 2021, 21:16
Thanks for the link, vnman. I watched the entire video (the information could have been transmitted in half the time in written form), and that confirmed my subconscious premonition that the COE, with uploading various documents for pre- and then final approval, is bound to have some bugs. When dealing with people, you can figure it out, but with a computer program: ERROR!

The craziest is the requirement to pay for covid tests in advance, and submit the receipt that you get from your hotel to obtain your COE. That's micromanagement, worse than kindergarten!

vnman
August 9th, 2021, 22:58
I'll happily use one of these sandbox schemes in the winter, if Thai covid cases & restrictions are on a downward trend & if it's the best holiday option I can see.

I agree, but it would have to be a last minute arrangement.

goji
August 9th, 2021, 23:11
I agree, but it would have to be a last minute arrangement.
Agreed totally.
Loosely monitor the situation for a few months.
Then about 4~6 weeks in advance, check out the rules and people's experiences in detail.
Sort all the bookings & paperwork in the 3 weeks beforehand.

Thanks for the link, vnman. I watched the entire video (the information could have been transmitted in half the time in written form), and that confirmed my subconscious premonition that the COE, with uploading various documents for pre- and then final approval, is bound to have some bugs.
Back in December, my visa arrived just before lunch.
I did the first stage after lunch, which was approved early in the evening.
I then submitted the second stage, which was approved by about 10 pm.

The COE application website was less clunky than the visa application website.

I suspect the requirement to pay for the covid tests before the COE is a way of making sure they get paid.

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2021, 07:06
So just about the same access rules as a whole heap of other European Countries now then too ? And so with all those wide ranging choices available to you, you picked "Malta" as your choice !? Hmmmm ok.

Yeah, what's wrong with Malta? Lived there for 6 months before, and it was great. Good weather all year around, very safe and peaceful, really friendly people, loads of expats and making friends is really easy, about half the price of Canada, English speaking, et al. I can't really goto any of the non-English EU countries, as that's just not going to work with the whole blind thing.

Plus I can easily get a residency VISA. Prove 2700 EUR/month in contracts from out of country sources, medical insurance, condo lease, and that's it. 1 year residency VISA renewable each year.

I have no idea about the gay scene over there, but that's not why I'm going. I'm a 40 year old blind guy, so I'm not exactly hoping for a cute Maltese twink to be sitting on my lap wearing nothing but a towel. That will have to wait another year until Covid settles down, and I can get back to Asia. Hell, by the time this pandemic is over, I might be allowed back in Thailand already.

Brad the Impala
August 15th, 2021, 15:14
"Phuket should be considered as a green list travel destination from the UK, separately from the rest of Thailand, according to local tourism leaders.
As Bangkok grapples with rising numbers of Covid infections, KP Ho, executive chairman of Banyan Tree Group, said it was imperative for Phuket to be given ‘green’ destination status.

He called on policy-makers in Europe and around the world to support Phuket as a separate green zone.
But governments need to recognise it as a safe, self-enclosed destination, rather than combining its travel status with the rest of Thailand.
That was the message given to European envoys, airlines, senior officials and business leaders, at a meeting on the resort island."

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/phuket-should-be-added-to-uks-green-travel-list-thai-industry-leaders-urge

Dodger
August 15th, 2021, 19:03
"Phuket should be considered as a green list travel destination from the UK,

It must be a "Rip Van Winkle effect".

Nothing is open on Phuket.

goji
August 15th, 2021, 21:10
I wonder how they expect the UK to know tourists have only been to Phuket ?
The stamp in the passport will be for Thailand.

gerefan2
August 15th, 2021, 22:48
Agree with goji...more fantasy.

Brad the Impala
August 16th, 2021, 03:46

Not exactly! There are some fabulous five star resort hotels with beaches and multiple facilities and at hugely discounted prices with lots of handsome staff. I know that perversely you want this to fail, and perhaps you can't countenance a holiday without sleaze bars, but 300,000 room nights booking suggests you are in a minority.

https://pontevedrarecorder.com/stories/a-view-of-phuket-during-covid,13336

Sen Yai
August 16th, 2021, 06:47
I wonder how they expect the UK to know tourists have only been to Phuket ?
The stamp in the passport will be for Thailand.

Not true.The stamp in your passport is unique to the port of entry. It says Immigration Suvarnabhumi Airport Thailand if you entered at Swampy and Immigration Phuket Airport Thailand if entering there. Even if your flight transits through BKK, you clear immigration at your destination (Phuket). The land boarder to the rest of Thailand is currently closed, but self-declaration should be all that would be necessary for travel to Phuket to be given 'green' status even if the rest of Thailand was on an amber list.

Sen Yai
August 16th, 2021, 07:02

Not true. There are plenty of tourist attractions and restaurants open serving the sand-boxers.

There are many YouTube videos about life in Phuket every day and this guy (Don Kiko) regularly posts a helmet-cam video as he cruises around Patong on a scooter. This one is from yesterday, shot a night as he rides up Thaveewong Road and then around Sainamyen Road. Some restaurants are closed (including McD's) but many are open, with customers. It's quite dark north of Savoey Restaurant with everything closed there, but Sainamyen Road is quite busy all the way into the non-touristy heartlands of Patong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrgqysXz_Q

Dodger
August 16th, 2021, 09:08

I know that perversely you want this to fail,

I've never wanted anything to fail that would be in Thailand's best interest, and you couldn't be farther off in your thinking.

I've been saying since the beginning of this half-baked Sandtrap that TAT churned up would fail because of the timing. Nothing more, nothing less. I couldn't see, and still can't see any reopening in Thailand happening successfully until the Delta Variant that's still sweeping across Thailand is under control - and the majority of the population over here has received a covid vaccine.

The majority of tourists who signed on to TAT's Phuket scheme believed they could quarantine on the island for 2 weeks and then travel North to their beloved Thailand, and are now very sorry they came. Those are the voices that you should be listening to when touting your support of this premature opening...not mine. Thailand isn't ready to open its doors to anyone yet, and it certainly wasn't prepared back in July either.

It's easy for you to sit back on your porch sipping lemonade in the confines of a controlled environment - where the reported cases of the Delta Variant have plateaued and the majority of the population has either received the vaccine, or at least has the opportunity to get the vaccine if they want to. That's not the case over here. There are protests which have now transitioned into violent riots going on daily in Bangkok stemming from the governments inability to protect its people, and I can assure you, as much as the Thai people want the economy rolling again, the most important thing to them right now is their personal safety and the wellbeing of their family members.

Farang, like yourself, who are only concerned with one thing and one thing only, and that's getting back to their "boys" in Thailand, are narrow-sighted and self-serving in those regards. What's happening over here now is a matter of life or death, and the last thing the residents over here want, including me, is to allow a flow of tourists coming in before a healthy portion of the population is vaccinated and protected. To be blunt, you should be ashamed of yourself.

TAT's next scheme to reopen Pattaya in September has now been totally scrapped, in part because of what happened in Phuket. Why Brad?...because the time is not right, and now they know it!

If you find it impossible to comprehend these things, I'll wager it's because you don't want to understand these things. You're only concern is for yourself and that limp piece of meat that's dangling between your legs...and that my friend is "perverse".

If you can't get that through your head - too bad.

Brad the Impala
August 16th, 2021, 15:09
Farang, like yourself, who are only concerned with one thing and one thing only, and that's getting back to their "boys" in Thailand, are narrow-sighted and self-serving in those regards. What's happening over here now is a matter of life or death, and the last thing the residents over here want, including me, is to allow a flow of tourists coming in before a healthy portion of the population is vaccinated and protected. To be blunt, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Seems to me you are addressing several other posters who have regularly expressed such sentiments, however I have not been among them. I see one of them even "liked" your post!

Regarding the benefits and usefulness of the Phuket Sandbox, I have linked in this thread to other more qualified commentators than yourself who have explained this. Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to take this in, or perhaps your current emotional state prevents you processing this. Even if the Phuket Sandbox closed tomorrow it will still have benefitted the majority of tourists for whom it has been a success, the businesses for which it has provided some income in difficult times, their employees and their dependents. Most importantly it has demonstrated a methodology for opening up in the future both for Thailand and elsewhere.

If you want to argue against the benefits of the Phuket Sandbox, although why would you want to, it would more effective if you didn't use such demonstrably false statements as:

You expected the Sandbox to be a failure, you didn't think that it would open on July 1st, and you are still desperately trying to persuade anyone who will listen that you were right. However instead of making your case based on facts, you are coating your comments in personal vitriol, while trying to make it an issue of morality!!

arsenal
August 16th, 2021, 15:38
Brad. Please don't go down the path of getting your knickers in a twist over 'likes.' It leads to frequent, steviewonders, mrgiggles etc and I'm sure you don't want that.

Dodger
August 16th, 2021, 15:41

You expected the Sandbox to be a failure, you didn't think that it would open on July 1st, and you are still desperately trying to persuade anyone who will listen that you were right.!

"Desperate"..."Persuade"...such strong language.

You seem to be forgetting that I live in Thailand and have absolutely ZERO personal concerns over what happens during any these TAT Sandbox Schemes.

You, on-the-other-hand, have a reason to be "desperate"...and have chosen to continue cherry-picking ads saying that the Phuket Sandbox was a good thing as a means of giving "yourself" hope that you will be able to return again soon. You don't like me slamming these TAT schemes, because these schemes are the only thing you have to draw hope from. I understand this, but still see it as being shallow and self-serving.

We (the people who actually live here) believe that if the reported cases of the Delta variant go down, and the majority of the population has been vaccinated, that things could start opening up again - and tourists returning - in mid-2022. Any attempts to reopen before it's safe to do so will suffer the same consequences as were suffered in Phuket. Plain and simple.

Enjoy your lemonade.

Brad the Impala
August 19th, 2021, 04:04
"The Phuket Sandbox, Thailand’s program that allows foreign travelers to enter the country and stay in Phuket without needing to quarantine, has been given the green light by the Thai government to expand. The expansion means that those who enter as part of the sandbox scheme will be able to visit other destinations in the country, including some very popular tourist hotspots."

https://www.traveloffpath.com/phuket-sandbox-expanded-to-9-more-thailand-destinations/

"Thailand’s ‘Phuket Sandbox’ scheme is a ray of hope for Asia’s tourism industry.

The pilot scheme sends an important signal for the rest of Thailand and other resort markets

When Asia’s zero-tolerance policy is proving unworkable, the sandbox scheme recognises that a new approach is needed towards an increasingly endemic virus."

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3145151/thailands-phuket-sandbox-scheme-ray-hope-asias-tourism-industry