PDA

View Full Version : Essential reading

StevieWonders
June 22nd, 2021, 23:41
There are several books I regard as essential reading for those who really want to understand Thailand. In the context of two of our more pompous posters’ recent ignorant comments that all Thailand need to do to contain the latest wave of COVID cases is to get the army to secure the borders I thoroughly recommend Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy. It was written 25 years ago but is, if anything, more accurate today than it was then. Here’s a summary from Amazon:

“ Gambling, prostitution, drugs, arms trading, oil smuggling, and trafficking in people--these six illegal businesses are large and getting larger in Thailand. They distort the economy and victimize people. They are increasingly linked together through networks of protection and organized crime. They help to fund Thailand's corrosive "money politics" and to sustain corruption in the police. The authors argue that control of the illegal economy, especially through reform of the police, is vital for the development of a modern economy and functioning democracy.” I’d add reform of the army as well.

Thailand’s interest in pursuing the rule of law in public life is best exemplified by the unchallenged presence of a senior Minister in the current government (this is public knowledge and discussed in the Thai media). He was arrested and sentenced in Australia to a number of years in prison there for drug trafficking. He claims it was all a mistake and/or he was framed.

dab69
June 23rd, 2021, 05:33
Londoner posts better articles...