PDA

View Full Version : The Situation in Pattaya Worsens as Food lines Grow

Manforallseasons
June 6th, 2021, 02:35
https://www.facebook.com/thepattayanewsthai/videos/842028413072701/

goji
June 6th, 2021, 03:02
They had something similar back in February at the same location. The queues looked shorter then, as they had 3 lines, however I wouldn't like to say which has the most people.

Dodger
June 6th, 2021, 08:45
I was looking for the notorious Balloon Chasers in the line. I only spotted one.

They must be going in disguise.

On a serious note, these certainly are hard times. I hope that one day we'll see lines like this parading down Walking Street with beers in their hands again.

Not to be negative or anything, but I love the way this free food is being handed out right in front of the Police Station. with the boys-in-brown proudly posed in front of the cameras. When a group of farang are making similar food donations (and there's been many occasion's in Pattaya) there's not a camera in sight.

Captain Swing
June 7th, 2021, 07:55
I have felt guilty since the pandemic started, and this video, plus a few drinks, have reignited my guilt. I did send some money to a group helping to feed people in Bangkok, but I often think about Poi, a Jomtien masseur. He was never my BF, but I've known him casually for many years, and on my last visit he was extremely helpful to me when I had some serious medical problems and was in need of a helper. He's in his mid-thirties, and told me he lived in Pattaya and had his mother and his son living with him. I don't know if he has a home village or farm with a family he can return to. In fact. I don't know much about him, not even his real name.All I have is his phone number from 2 years ago. I hesitated to try to call him from the US to try to determine how he was doing and how I might help him out. His English is fair, not great, and I worry that he wouldn't be able to give me contact info or I wouldn't be able to understand him. I wish I could help him, assuming he needs help (which is a good assumption) as an individual that I know, rather than sending money to a group. If I try to call him he of course might not answer, or no longer have the same number, in which case it's hopeless, but if I do get through I don't want to get his hopes up if I can't help. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? I'm afraid I've just been rationalizing my failure to help. Should I just send money to some group to help, hopefully, strangers? Should I just go have another drink? (I'll probably do that anyway, but still...) Anybody?

cdnmatt
June 7th, 2021, 08:05
Well, looks like you have two options:

1.) Give him a call.
2.) Sit around filled with worry and regret that you didn't call, and make posts like this.

If you do #2, nothing changes and you just keep sitting around with regret. If you do #1, one of the following happen:

1.) He has a new phone number, in which case at least you feel better for knowig you tried.
2.) He answers and doesn't remember you. Maybe restart a friendship with him, or let him go knowing you tried.
3.) He answers, remembers you, and is doing fine without any need for help. Cool, and you reconnected with an old flame.
4.) He ansers, remembers you, and is on hard times. You send a few hundred via Western Union (just do it online, takes 5 mins), and feel lgood about yourself for helping, plus have reconnected with an old flame.

Why are you not picking up the phone?

Ruthrieston
June 7th, 2021, 08:06
I would suggest downloading the Line app and using his phone number to see if he has a Line account, most of the chaps I know have one. Then you can contact him, even phone him for free. Good luck, I hope you can get in touch with him and help him as things are just getting worse in Pattaya these days.

Captain Swing
June 7th, 2021, 11:09
I just downloaded Line and it found someone with his phone number. The name is in Thai, naturally, so I don't know if it's him. I just sent a message and hopefully I'll get a response. I'm utterly incompetent at this kind of internet activity, but I'm optimistic. If I get no response I'll try just calling the number directly and see what happens.

StevieWonders
June 7th, 2021, 11:38
I just downloaded Line and it found someone with his phone number. The name is in Thai, naturally, so I don't know if it's him. I just sent a message and hopefully I'll get a response. I'm utterly incompetent at this kind of internet activity, but I'm optimistic. If I get no response I'll try just calling the number directly and see what happens.If you’re not familiar with LINE here’s a tip: there’s a built-in Thai-English translator based I think on Google Translate. It’s a bit clunky to set up:

Go to “Official Accounts” and select “EN-TH Translator”
Go to “Create Group”
Add EN-TH Translator to the group and “Invite” your friend to join the group. The tricky thing I find is getting them to accept the invitation

Thereafter always chat via that Group and you’ll get real-time translation (of varying quality)

Captain Swing
June 7th, 2021, 12:15
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have high hopes for Google Translate. I follow the Facebook posts of my ex, and Facebook will (poorly) translate the posts into English, or sometimes I will cut and paste them into Google Translate if they look interesting. Sometimes I have to laugh out loud at the gibberish that results. Occasionally I can get a vague idea of what's being said, but more often it's useless. I never would have guessed that "หึๆๆมันเดิกล่ะเด พี่วัต" meant Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe h....etc. But it's good to know that option is there---thanks.

StevieWonders
June 7th, 2021, 12:55
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have high hopes for Google Translate. I follow the Facebook posts of my ex, and Facebook will (poorly) translate the posts into English, or sometimes I will cut and paste them into Google Translate if they look interesting. Sometimes I have to laugh out loud at the gibberish that results. Occasionally I can get a vague idea of what's being said, but more often it's useless. I never would have guessed that "หึๆๆมันเดิกล่ะเด พี่วัต" meant Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe h....etc. But it's good to know that option is there---thanks.I prefer iTranslate but both tools show how difficult translation tools for Thai can be. In my experience it is very much a Thai problem. I’ve had quite satisfactory Vietnamese-English conversations

Captain Swing
June 7th, 2021, 14:22
Somehow the end of my post disappeared. The translation was "hehehehehehehehehehehehehe......"

StevieWonders
June 7th, 2021, 15:53
Somehow the end of my post disappeared. The translation was "hehehehehehehehehehehehehe......"I find translations that include a name such as Silom often come up with something that’s nonsense in English. I rarely see Silom translated correctly as Windmill although there have been some valiant attempts ;) - and you’d have to know Silom means windmill anyway.

dab69
June 7th, 2021, 16:16
If a name is used I type in all CAPS and see if it tries to translate that or not.
Sometimes it will leave it unmolested...

Had sent money to a friend of a friend but he hasn'r gotten the message to pick it up yet.
Have you tried searching Facebook using pasted Thai script for his name?
Maybe he's out in the sticks where he hasn't used wifi to check for messages,

christianpfc
June 7th, 2021, 22:23
I shudder when I see all those styrofoam and plastic bags at the food-handout. I imagine it all ending up swimming in the Gulf of Thailand. If I were handing out food, it would be "bring your own plate/bag/cup". In Myanmar, they still have these wonderful stainless steel food containers.

In fact. I don't know much about him, not even his real name.All I have is his phone number from 2 years ago. I hesitated to try to call him from the US...
Try Line, as already suggested. Several reasons: when you write, he can read again until he understands, or put it in online translation. It's not time-sensitive (time shift, and you don't know his sleep/wake pattern), and it's free.

Thai texts from facebook translate poorly because much of it is slang and/or mis-spellt. Proper Thai or English translates well on googletranslate.

I suggest sending messages in your mother tongue. Then a third person who can speak English will understand, whereas when googetranslate mistranslates, and you send the translation, all sense is irrevocably lost.

I once got a message "I want to fly a kite with you" which is the literal translation for "I want to wank with you", but wanking is figuratively "fly a kite" in Thai.The translation was correct, but can only be understand with background knowledge of Thai.

Zebedee
June 7th, 2021, 22:57
I once got a message "I want to fly a kite with you" which is the literal translation for "I want to wank with you", but wanking is figuratively "fly a kite" in Thai.The translation was correct, but can only be understand with background knowledge of Thai.

LOL
Thanks for a good laugh christianpfc.

Manforallseasons
June 7th, 2021, 23:22
I shudder when I see all those styrofoam and plastic bags at the food-handout. I imagine it all ending up swimming in the Gulf of Thailand. If I were handing out food, it would be "bring your own plate/bag/cup". In Myanmar, they still have these wonderful stainless steel food containers.

[Deleted text] You see all those desperate people on line waiting for something to eat and your concern is what will become of the plastic bags and styrofoam containers.The longer you are unable to return to Thailand the better.

Some text in this post was deleted under rule 2.3.

Jellybean

goji
June 7th, 2021, 23:31
MFAS has lost the plot. Hopefully the moderators will take action.

Nirish guy
June 8th, 2021, 01:00
I will merely add that if that queue is anything like the "free" queues here either for food or food banks - once anyone adds the word FREE at the start of any queue ( no matter WHAT it's for) the queue instantly seems to treble or quadruple in size and FAST !

The size of the queue also rarely seems ever to be based on actual need or necessity but more so just more on plain human greed or people's FOMO for something that is "free" !

That's not to say of course that there are not people in that queue who are not in genuine need of assistance by the way and if so I hope they get the help that they need. But personally I'm always hesitant to judge the perceived "need" in any area simply by looking at the length of any "queue here for free anything" queues.

I CBA looking it up but the last pic that was posted on the board of a "free food for the needy" queue in Pattaya new Soi Buakhao actually turned out to be a queue for free ice cream from a vendor running a free ice cream promotion I seem to recall.

goji
June 8th, 2021, 03:13
That's not to say of course that there are not people in that queue who are not in genuine need of assistance by the way and if so I hope they get the help that they need. But personally I'm always hesitant to judge the perceived "need" in any area simply by looking at the length of any "queue here for free anything" queues.

A very good point. Earlier in the year I saw someone distributing free food from a car on the beach front.
They had to fend off other motorists and people on motorcycles stopping to try and take the free food.

Also ChristianPFC is correct to raise concerns about all the plastic waste and how it will be disposed of. It's probably going to end up in the sea and cause all sorts of problems for marine life that doesn't know how to deal with it. Meanwhile Thailand has more than enough wealth to feed it's population, but except much of it is held by <cannot discuss>.

francois
June 8th, 2021, 13:45
People show kindness by giving free food and posters on this forum criticize them and the recipients! Have you no compassion?

Dodger
June 8th, 2021, 14:34
If YOU were the one who was hungry, and someone offered YOU a meal, the last thing YOU would care about is the type of container the food was in.

If YOU wouldn't care then, then YOU shouldn't care now.

cdnmatt
June 8th, 2021, 14:49
What? Out of all the times people could have picked to complain about plastic usage, they choose food lines in the middle of a once in a centry global pandemic? What, really? Couldn't have brought that up pre or post pandemic, maybe?

arsenal
June 8th, 2021, 15:17
Christian's comment would draw a round of applause from the lifetime freeloader Greta Thunberg. Like Christian she lives an alternative lifestyle funded by others with plenty of time to go round hugging trees and tickling the polar bears.

dinagam
June 8th, 2021, 16:12
This is precisely the time to instil the importance of responsible use of non- biodegradable manufactured products.
What the authority should do is to supply a well designed reusable plastic containers that seal tightly with three to four compartments to separate the cooked meals, with an ergonomic handle for easy portability.
A serial number code is assigned to each box to be used in identifying the owner after facial scanning. Boxes should be of different sizes. Obviously fat and obese recipients will be issued with small meal boxes. Those who lose their meal boxes will have to skip a meal. There should be a constant reminder of the importance of taking care of nature especially during these trying times.

cdnmatt
June 8th, 2021, 16:40
This is precisely the time to instil the importance of responsible use of non- biodegradable manufactured products.
What the authority should do is to supply a well designed reusable plastic containers that seal tightly with three to four compartments to separate the cooked meals, with an ergonomic handle for easy portability.
A serial number code is assigned to each box to be used in identifying the owner after facial scanning. Boxes should be of different sizes. Obviously fat and obese recipients will be issued with small meal boxes. Those who lose their meal boxes will have to skip a meal. There should be a constant reminder of the importance of taking care of nature especially during these trying times.

You forgot the /s, but yes, totally agreed.

While we're at it, we should force all recipients to do 40 jumping jacks on the sidewalk before receiving any food, because you know... we need to promote healthy living too.

christianpfc
June 8th, 2021, 21:57
I will merely add that if that queue is anything like the "free" queues here either for food or food banks - once anyone adds the word FREE at the start of any queue ( no matter WHAT it's for) the queue instantly seems to treble or quadruple in size and FAST !
And the quickest way to disperse a crowd is to ask for donations.

If YOU were the one who was hungry, and someone offered YOU a meal, the last thing YOU would care about is the type of container the food was in.

If YOU wouldn't care then, then YOU shouldn't care now.

My comment was aimed at those donating, not those receiving.

What? Out of all the times people could have picked to complain about plastic usage, they choose food lines in the middle of a once in a centry global pandemic? What, really? Couldn't have brought that up pre or post pandemic, maybe?

This issue has been on my mind for a long time. But before it was individual buying food in plastic containers, here it's giving out large amounts (i.e. easier to control and to change).

Using re-usable containers would even be cheaper, and the money saved could buy more food instead of ending up as plastic waste.

People show kindness by giving free food and posters on this forum criticize them and the recipients! Have you no compassion?

I have more compassion for animals and for the environment than for humans.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Meant to Keep Malaria Out, Mosquito Nets Are Used to Haul Fish In
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/world/africa/mosquito-nets-for-malaria-spawn-new-epidemic-overfishing.html

Not everything that looks good and makes you feel good is good.
The hidden cruelty of Hong Kong’s mercy release industry
https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health-beauty/article/1971558/hidden-cruelty-hong-kongs-mercy-release-industry

Dodger
June 9th, 2021, 12:10
Below is a UTube video showing what one farang restaurant owner has been doing for the last year to help the homeless.

Note: His meals are delivered to homeless in the same Styrofoam food containers as you saw in the police food line, so don't get your underwear tied up in a knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntfgDFG5vFM

arsenal
June 9th, 2021, 12:22
If anyone on the ground in Pattaya knows of ANY business supporting people in this time of Hell then name them and fame them so we can support them when we return.

StevieWonders
June 9th, 2021, 12:47
I’m particularly entranced by the member who will spend 60,000 baht to be locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks and then claim to know who is and who isn’t genuinely in need while making statements justifying himself by saying things like “If living well within one's means and having a lot of fun doing it, one would be a fool not to part with the money”.

Sen Yai
June 9th, 2021, 19:48
If anyone............knows of ANY business supporting people in this time of Hell then name them and fame them so we can support them when we return.

Here's an article from no lesser organ of truth than The Pattaya Mail that highlights the great work of the fine folk at the Richmond Sports Bar who have been handing out free food to those in need each week in a 'Free Food Friday' initiative. https://www.pattayamail.com/socialscene/free-food-friday-flies-by-in-ten-minutes-352319

Despite the assertion made by a poster earlier in this thread that only the wicked Royal Thai Police seek publicity by association with these acts of human kindness and all farangs are camera-shy, working tirelessly behind the scenes without seeking any recognition, the article features photos of the generous individuals behind the scheme.

Any suggestion that one or two of them might be advised to perform a few star jumps themselves is of course totally unwarranted....

Dodger
June 9th, 2021, 20:26
Despite the assertion made by a poster earlier in this thread that only the wicked Royal Thai Police seek publicity by association with these acts of human kindness and all farangs are camera-shy, working tirelessly behind the scenes without seeking any recognition, the article features photos of the generous individuals behind the scheme.

Interesting: I just read back through this thread and fail to see where anyone has made the assertion you mention.

Brad the Impala
June 10th, 2021, 00:26
Interesting: I just read back through this thread and fail to see where anyone has made the assertion you mention.

Hard to remember your own posts I guess.

Not to be negative or anything, but I love the way this free food is being handed out right in front of the Police Station. with the boys-in-brown proudly posed in front of the cameras. When a group of farang are making similar food donations (and there's been many occasion's in Pattaya) there's not a camera in sight.

Dodger
June 10th, 2021, 09:22
Hard to remember your own posts I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

I never made the assertion that all farangs are camera-shy, working tirelessly behind the scenes without seeking any recognition…as implied by Sen Yai.

My assertion was that Thai police like posing in front of the camera's at every opportunity...which, my friend happens to be a FACT...where Farang fund raising and food donation activities have remained almost totally transparent in Thai newspapers this past year. This has been a thorn in the sides of many in the expat community for the past 16 months.

Maybe you're not reading the papers or getting out too much any more.

Just a suggestion: Instead of just sitting back and criticizing peoples viewpoints, why don't you try sharing something of substance for a change. For instance; How do you feel about these donation activities in general? How do you feel about the level of care for the homeless? What would you like to see being done differently? What are you doing yourself to contribute? That's what I mean by "substance".

StevieWonders
June 10th, 2021, 09:40
I never made the assertion that all farangs are camera-shy, working tirelessly behind the scenes without seeking any recognition…as implied by Sen Yai.

My assertion was that Thai police like posing in front of the camera's at every opportunity...which, my friend happens to be a FACT...where Farang fund raising and food donation activities have remained almost totally transparent in Thai newspapers this past year. This has been a thorn in the sides of many in the expat community for the past 16 months.

Maybe you're not reading the papers or getting out too much any more.

Just a suggestion: Instead of just sitting back and criticizing peoples viewpoints, why don't you try sharing something of substance for a change. For instance; How do you feel about these donation activities in general? How do you feel about the level of care for the homeless? What would you like to see being done differently? What are you doing yourself to contribute? That's what I mean by "substance".Take myself seriously? Who, me??

:D:D:lol::lol::D:D

a447
June 11th, 2021, 15:02
Posts unrelated to this topic have been moved here:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?22166-Saving-the-environment

StevieWonders
June 13th, 2021, 07:08
In Bangkok, Pride Bar are having a free BBQ today (Sunday 13 June), according to their FakeBook page.

arsenal
June 13th, 2021, 09:14
"In Bangkok, Pride Bar are having a free BBQ today (Sunday 13 June), according to their FakeBook page."

For all those members who have him on ignore. Who wants to go and meet stevie at the sausage sizzle!!!

goji
June 13th, 2021, 16:36
For all those members who have him on ignore.

We have Stevie on ignore for an obvious reason and would be grateful if other members would respect that.

You might like to try joining us one day. You won't miss any of it.
If everyone does so, the problem becomes irrelevant.

dab69
June 14th, 2021, 09:16
Beach Road food give away was by Lisa Hamilton, guest house owner on June 3rd.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-guesthouse-entrepreneur-political-party-hand-out-food-358940

A Pattaya guesthouse owner teamed with a local political party to donate food and personal protection necessities on Pattaya Beach Road.

Lisa Hamilton, business owner of Lisa Guesthouse, and members of the Thai Liberal Party (Seri Ruam Thai Party) on June 3 handed out meal boxes, drinking water, milk, and hygiene masks to people affected by all the unemployment and business shutdowns caused by the third coronavirus wave.

Police and volunteers on Beach Road in front of the Pattaya Soi 9 Police Station made sure to comply with social distancing, protective mask-wearing, hand gel use and other anti-Covid-19 guidelines.