PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Air

August 15th, 2006, 20:18
Having flown the Phuket to Pattaya route, and felt a little ripped off by the over-hiked charges imposed by Bangkok air, I was looking at flying Bangkok to Siem Reap. Again, like Phuket to Pattaya, Bangkok air seems to have a virtual monopoly on this route and again goes into overpricing mode.

Some typical flight costs:
Bangkok Air
Siem Reap to Phnom Penh - $82 one way (3,070 baht)
Siem Reap to Bangkok - $153 one way (5715 baht) plus international departure tax to be added
Air Asia
Bangkok to Phnom Penh - $33 one way (1249 baht) plus international departure tax to be added

Air asia always cheaper on routes they share, unfortunately they do not do the Siem Reap to Phnom Penh or the Bangkok to Siem Reap.

wowpow
August 15th, 2006, 21:40
Bangkok Air tout themselves as a Boutique airline offering high standards of service such as meals and airport laounges. I have never heard of anyone complain about their service. They have some exclusive routes such as Koh Samui where they own the airport. Phuket is not one of those and many carriers operate from there to Bangkok. They have some specials on until 30th September.

Air Asia advertise as being a Budget or Low Cost Carrier offering low prices and no frills. I have always found them satisfactory and terrific value but I have read of many complaints of delays and cancellations.

http://www.asia-budget-airlines.com/ do not show any other Budget airlines operating this route

August 15th, 2006, 23:33
This little snippet may be helpful

Getting to Cambodia

Most international visitors to Cambodia arrive by air at either Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. An increasing number of airlines are operating into Cambodia in response to the Cambodian governments open skies policy. The list of international airlines serving Cambodia includes; Bangkok Airways, China Southern Airlines, Dragonair, EVA Air, Lao Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Mandarin Airlines, Mekong Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Siem Reap Airways International, Silk Air, Royal Phnom Penh Airways, Thai Airways International and Vietnam Airlines.

Good hunting!

August 16th, 2006, 10:56
I agree that Bangkok Air/Siem Reap Air promote themselves as a boutique airline but I do believe they take advantage of customers on exclusive routes:

From To Distance Price
Bangkok Phnom Penh 333 miles/536km $182 one way (6800 baht) 20.4 baht per mile
*Siem Reap Phnom Penh 144 miles/233km $82 one way (3,070 baht) 21.4 baht per mile
*Siem Reap Bangkok 225 miles/363km $153 one way (5715 baht) 25.4 baht per mile

The baht per mile ratio for exlusive routes (*) is higher (and significantly higher on the Siem Reap/Bangkok route) for those flights which they have a virtual monopoly.

Further, I have had delays with Air Asia (30 minutes to an hour is usual I find) but the longest delay (4hrs) was with Bangkok Air on the Phuket/Pattaya route.

Thanks me4thai for the list of airlines operating in Cambodia, unfortunately I can only find Bangkok Air/Siem Reap Air doing the route I want (Bangkok/Siem Reap).

lonelywombat
August 16th, 2006, 11:06
On a post in july re the pattaya/phuket gwm4asian pointed out extremely cheap seats from a local agent

[quote] gwm4asian Next time you are sitting in a baht bus waiting to go to Jomtien, look over the road to Joy Travel agent. There is a banner hanging over the shop. I quoted from it in my previous post.[quote/]

if you are in pattaya ATM it might be worthwhile trying them

August 16th, 2006, 11:22
Thanks LW, i'll try and get some joy at Joy Travel. :bounce:

August 16th, 2006, 12:18
The bus from Phnom Phen to Siem Reap is OK if it doesn't hit too many buffaloes en route. There is also a boat service - slower but more scenic.[/b]

August 16th, 2006, 13:18
Would some kind soul in pattaya atm, mind checking as i am about ready to book a single ticket on line for late Oct. Thanks in advance