PDA

View Full Version : Infested by an annoying SPAM email campaign ... ?

Smiles
August 15th, 2006, 02:07
I've had very good luck over the last few years with unwanted spam emails (using MS Outlook). My IS provider seems to be doing a good job deleting most of the trash before it gets to customers, and my own security stuff seems to work well.

But lately I've been inundated by a very specific type of spam ... unwanted emails advertising stock picks. I get about 10 of these on average every day. They are all instantly deleted without opening (though I can view them unopened), but they are a pain. The email address from where they originate is always different ( they are all a variation on this kind of thing: xfwopreit@fehrswo.com ), but they are obviously from the same source as they all have this image within the body of the message ~ different background colours and content, but the exact same format.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images2/spam.jpg

Who knows what bloody site I've visited to get hitched to this thing? Obviously a financial or stock site, but I'm not a big web surfer and cannot recall going to such a site recently.

Anybody been annoyed by this type of email? Where is our computer guru 'bkkguy' when we need him?

Cheers ...

Jetsam
August 15th, 2006, 04:34
I got at least 20 of those the last few days, and they indeed slip through the spam filter :idea:

August 15th, 2006, 04:40
Yep, a flurry of these through on my work email system. Amazing considering the security on this system.

None getting through on my personal email system lately, but last month 2 or 3 a day.

Bob
August 15th, 2006, 05:29
It's the only friggin' spam I get.....about 1 every 2 days, started
about a month or two ago.

Smiles
August 15th, 2006, 06:01
Has anyone actually bought any of these stocks .... and made a pile of cash? If so, email me .... quickly!! :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Cheers ...

Jetsam
August 15th, 2006, 06:06
did you notice that there is always some paragraph of a book in the body text, that seems to be to bypass the spam filters :

one I got, and It is good read so I maybe will buy the book :geek:

She wasstately and white-haired but she attended the Methodist Church. But I will not puton a hard-boiled collar!
Madeline took him to the door;for an exhilarating half-minute he had her alone. Dont go get all worked up and then be disappointed. She was before him,provocative, enduring. Competing with real men in real he-struggle. Twenty minutes after, theywere clinging together in the quiet of her living room.
She invited Martin, but he was jealous of hisevenings, beautiful evenings of research.
But of course Mother would obligingly go, and leave him toconquest.
Heknew that this girl was of his own people.
Well, I can tell you right now you havent had my opinion of yourbeing a waiter!
She was the one person who understood him!
She had no especial personal ambition; she had come here becauseshe liked adventure.
You know what I think of your horrid Clif Clawson, shecomplained.
Ill be getting sore, first thing you know!
He was proud of himself for having been lofty.
It was a tempestuous kiss, and very sweet.
Ordinarily, Gottlieb called him Arrowsmith or You or Uh.
As it is, I dont suppose he gets a centover four thousand! Honestly, Ive gone over and over the stuff, and I getthe same results, as you can see. Martin went home engaged to two girls at once.
Sometimes I wonder if it isnt just laziness.
To a passing nurse, the two youngsters would have seemed absorbedin hospital business. He might never have proposed to her but for the spring evening onthe roof. Here, whereeveryone snatched at her and Dr. As it is, I dont suppose he gets a centover four thousand! All the way to Ward D he was furious at her veiled derision. I want you to grow up and listen toreason.
Honestly, Ive gone over and over the stuff, and I getthe same results, as you can see. Fatty Pfaff and IrvingWatters called him Martykins.
Martin was unaccustomed to such elegance. As he raced toward her flat, he was expectant of adventure.

August 15th, 2006, 06:06
Don't feed the trolls! Especially the ones thats smiles!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/Joe_M01/99_1.jpg

Smiles
August 15th, 2006, 08:43
Hmmmm ... how odd that so many who use the same Message Board are getting the same spam. Or is it odd?

Is this spam so ubiquitous that it's simply "everywhere"?
Perhaps related in some hidden and unknown way to our very presense on this Board URL address and/or use of the posting features or the clickable ads all over the place? (Hedda would have a veritable Hay-Day with this conspiracy :bom: )

Cheers ...

August 15th, 2006, 09:08
Hmmmm ... how odd that so many who use the same Message Board are getting the same spam.

It is odd, probably impossible (unless the administrator is selling email addresses or the moderators have a lot of time to pick them out). It appears that most members have "never show email address" selected so it's not a bot. My board email address is not getting these. Other email addresses of mine (a few are spam plaqued) are not as well.

I'd suspect it's a newsletter or website email, subscribed to by all that are getting these annoyances, whose security was breached.

I wouldn't bet on any of the stocks.

August 15th, 2006, 16:19
AGAO: Aga Resources.com (To change name to Greater China Media & Entertainment Corp after signing acquisition agreement for a media & entertainment joint venture in China.)
Symbol recently changed to AGAO.OB
Closed yesterday @ $2.07

Source:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AGAO.OB

So how many shares didn't you buy @ $1.94\each?

More Spam. Received this today:

"You have just won $1,200,000.00 in the South African Lottery."
To claim, reply with various information. (Required information includes name, address and cell phone number.)

Darn! I don't own a cell phone.

August 15th, 2006, 18:16
More Spam. Received this today:

"You have just won $1,200,000.00 in the South African Lottery."
To claim, reply with various information. (Required information includes name, address and cell phone number.)

Darn! I don't own a cell phone.

DO NOT even attempt to reply. It is a well known scam where you will be invited to send a "handling fee" (20 to 50 US Dollars) to claim your "prize". This fee will disappear into their coffers and they (the scammers) will then become untraceable and uncontactable. There are several of these scams about, all similar, not only referring to South African but also Spanish and Portuguese lotteries. The scammers are based in Spain and also in Nigeria.