PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that the 7 day quarantine will come back?

vnman
May 15th, 2021, 03:52
Phuket will probably (even if the sandbox scheme doesn't get cancelled) not be worth the trouble. During normal times it is not my favourite place, so I don't see that it will be any better when there are such restrictions in place.

I'd rather go in quarantine and enjoy Bangkok and Pattaya afterwards. I'm not sure what the threshold was for the Thais to decide that a 7-day quarantine would be enough for vaccinated travellers, but does anyone think this might be implemented again? I'm not in a hurry and can wait until July or August.

14 days quarantine will be a definite NONO

I tried to edit quarintine in the title.

Blueskytoday
May 15th, 2021, 04:57
The 7 day is a no no....after NO quarantine....like Douglas MacArthur said,,"I shall return"......

vnman
May 15th, 2021, 16:34
I honestly think that it will be Mexico this summer...but I'm not giving up on Thailand this summer just yet :-)

Armando
May 15th, 2021, 16:41
I honestly think that it will be Mexico this summer...but I'm not giving up on Thailand this summer just yet :-)
With the third wave now spreading seemingly out of control unlike the last two waves, and still no general vaccination programme underway, I honestly think it would be madness to consider Thailand this summer. And as @Bluesky said above, quarantine will have to be 14 days for quite some time. Enjoy Mexico!

cdnmatt
May 15th, 2021, 17:24
I know Thailand is advertising everything including normalized international flights will be back to normal come November, but personally, I think it's madness to even think Thailand this year much less this summer.

pong
May 15th, 2021, 18:12
HOPE for late of this yr-expect as matty says it however to only become reality next yr. Will also depend on how this new type of covid turns out to be in India and the like.

vnman
May 15th, 2021, 18:12
I know Thailand is advertising everything including normalized international flights will be back to normal come November, but personally, I think it's madness to even think Thailand this year much less this summer.

Not sure why it would be madness. Some might say that it is an opportunity of a lifetime. I guess it depends on what you are looking for when you go to Thailand.

Sawadeethailand on youtube just said that "Thailand" would sponsor 100.000 domestic flights. As she explained it if you stay for one week in the sandbox model, you can then fly to other destinations in Thailand. Which would effectively make it a 7-day quarantine in Phuket instead of 14 days in a hotel. Interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZahRHXVFQk

cdnmatt
May 15th, 2021, 18:32
Not sure why it would be madness. Some might say that it is an opportunity of a lifetime. I guess it depends on what you are looking for when you go to Thailand.

Sawadeethailand on youtube just said that "Thailand" would sponsor 100.000 domestic flights. As she explained it if you stay for one week in the sandbox model, you can then fly to other destinations in Thailand. Which would effectively make it a 7-day quarantine in Phuket instead of 14 days in a hotel. Interesting!

I think might be best to concentrate on Thailand getting its latest outbreak under control before worrying about when normalized international flights will resume to BKK.

Only takes about 4 weeks for Thailand to turn into another India, so there's that...

Again, even Israel hasn't announced when they plan to normalize their borders again, so not sure why Thailand is so sure of itself and its newly self-imposed deadlines. Thailand even announcing deadlines such as this right now is ridiculous, as they don't know what the day-to-day results of the current outbreak are going to be.

The Thai government knows how this current outbreak is going to go about as much as a typical goldfish does, so no idea why they're announcing re-opening deadlines. It's a little pre-mature to be doing so, to say the least.

vnman
May 15th, 2021, 18:58
Again, even Israel hasn't announced when they plan to normalize their borders again, so not sure why Thailand is so sure of itself and its newly self-imposed deadlines.

Not sure what Isreal has to do with Thailand. Unless you think that they are the authority when it comes to safe and responsible behaviour.

What you call a deadline I would call a goal. Nothing wrong with setting goals. Especially for a country that has dealt with this pandemic far better than most other countries in the world.

goji
May 15th, 2021, 19:23
I have no idea what quarantine system Thailand will have next. However, with over 90% of GDP in places like Phuket coming from tourism, they have clear incentives to open up as soon as is practical.

I'm fairly confident of visiting Thailand next winter, with anything between 0 & 15 nights quarantine & probably at the lower end of the range.

When evaluating plans, there are various elements to this, including:
1 Thai Government Policy. They have clear incentives to open up when practical.

2 My (UK) Government Policy. Currently Thailand is "Orange", which leaves a tolerable 10 day isolate at home requirement. If it goes to red, I would have to investigate work arounds.

3 Other tropical countries might offer better entry conditions. Difficult to envisage at present, but who knows what might happen in the 6 months between now and booking the next trip ?

What happens now doesn't matter much, unless you are really keen to travel in the summer. It will be time to take more interest in the Autumn.

vnman
May 15th, 2021, 19:29
My (UK) Government Policy. Currently Thailand is "Orange", which leaves a tolerable 10 day isolate at home requirement. If it goes to red, I would have to investigate work arounds.

Our (Dutch) Government has placed Thailand in the Yellow category yesterday and travel is no longer discouraged.

christianpfc
May 16th, 2021, 22:36
I'm not sure what the threshold was for the Thais to decide that a 7-day quarantine would be enough for vaccinated travellers, but does anyone think this might be implemented again? I'm not in a hurry and can wait until July or August.

I tried to edit quarintine in the title.
It is irrelevant what we think what the Thai government will do. The bureaucracy (COE, book and pay ASQ in advance) is a strong deterrent for me. If you have somewhere else to go this summer, go there

Another question you have to ask yourself: with gogo bars closed, restaurants now open but limited number of customers, travel restrictions (?) within Thailand, what's the point of going there? Assume that when you get there, the situation is worse: lockdown, curfew, restaurants closed, gogo and massage closed anyway.

I edited the title.

goji
May 17th, 2021, 02:59
It is irrelevant what we think what the Thai government will do. The bureaucracy (COE, book and pay ASQ in advance) is a strong deterrent for me.
The COE is easy. If I remember correctly, my visa arrived at lunch time, then I applied for the COE and got it by about 10:00pm the same day. Paying for ASQ in advance actually means you need to spend a little time searching out a hotel which either takes a small deposit, or guarantees a refund.

Another question you have to ask yourself: with gogo bars closed, restaurants now open but limited number of customers, travel restrictions (?) within Thailand, what's the point of going there? Assume that when you get there, the situation is worse: lockdown, curfew, restaurants closed, gogo and massage closed anyway.
Well, with summer weather on it's way in Europe & restrictions in Thailand, I see no reason to go until the winter.
Incidentally, during the January lockdown, massage shops were supposed to be closed, but many were discretely open.

The end game is no quarantine to enter Thailand. When that happens and whether they get there with intermediate steps such as 7 day quarantine remains to be seen.

I still expect to be on holiday somewhere next winter.