PDA

View Full Version : American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

Dodger
May 12th, 2021, 08:10
According to the article posted below which I received this morning rom BudfromDC who posts on Gaybutton, American expats in Thailand may be getting support from the U.S. Government in getting vaccinated.

Apparently this proposal has already been sent to President Biden. If approved, Americans residing in Thailand would be receiving either Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson vaccines. In-other-words, the good stuff.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccines

StevieWonders
May 12th, 2021, 08:18
According to the article posted below which I received this morning rom BudfromDC who posts on Gaybutton, American expats in Thailand may be getting support from the U.S. Government in getting vaccinated.

Apparently this proposal has already been sent to President Biden. If approved, Americans residing in Thailand would be receiving either Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson vaccines. In-other-words, the good stuff.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccinesOld news, Dodgems - I reported it last week or possibly two weeks ago but I guess if you want to stick your head in the sand …

StevieWonders
May 12th, 2021, 08:57
Just imagine the fallout if a rich First World country started shipping vaccines to Third World countries for the exclusive use of their own expats!

Manforallseasons
May 12th, 2021, 10:39
Just imagine the fallout if a rich First World country started shipping vaccines to Third World countries for the exclusive use of their own expats!

Yes it would be a beautiful thing for sure!

cdnmatt
May 12th, 2021, 10:40

heh, money boy rates would probably go up at least 25%.

2lz2p
May 12th, 2021, 10:49
IMO it is very unlikely that any action will be taken by the US Government to vaccinate American citizens in Thailand, despite the wishful thinking of others. Also, at this point, the information provides no assurance that the actions being requested will ever occur.

As noted in the article, both the State Department & USA Embassy in Bangkok have stated it is not possible. I doubt very much this will
change regardless of inquiries, petitions, or appeals by US citizens in Thailand. Even if the US Government wanted to provide the vaccine, they would still very likely have to negotiate such action with the Thai Government. The reference in the article that Embassy personnel were provided the vaccine doesn't indicate that they can unilaterally do it for US citizens residing here. For Embassy personnel it is possible as the vaccines even though not approved in Thailand would arrive via diplomatic pouch which is not subject to Thai Government rules and would also occur on Embassy/Consulate grounds, which are deemed to be US territory.

Thus it appears the only way to omit such negotiation with Thailand would be for the US Embassy and Chiang Mai Consulate to provide the vaccine on their premises -- can you imagine the lines of US expats outside those locations as well as the reaction of the Thai Government if they don't approve. All of this would take time even if the US Government was willing to do so. By then IMO, it would most likely be a moot point as the vaccines would be available in Thailand for foreigners including US citizens through Thai Government or private hospitals.

As noted in the various articles, many of which are cited and linked from the Pattaya City Expats Club's latest Newsletter, Thailand is moving forward on providing vaccinations to all foreigners including US citizens.

It appears that Moderna vaccine will be approved this month and will be a source for private hospitals to acquire - most likely it will be available in July or August; true it is not free, but the cost will be less than 3,000 baht (includes both doses) per the President of the Private Hospitals of Thailand organization - once approved by Thailand's FDA, private hospitals can order Moderna through the Thailand's Government Pharmaceutical Organization as vaccine makers will not sell other than to governments. Myself, I expect to go this route as Moderna is my preferred choice of the available vaccines; primarily because my identical twin brother was vaccinated with it in the USA with no side effects.

The AstraZeneca will be available for free although the mechanism has not been set up yet; it appears it most likely will be available in June or August at the latest. This vaccine is being manufactured under license here in Thailand with first deliveries expected in June. It is not my choice because, although rare, there has been the reported side effect of blood clots -- I've experienced both by having a pulmonary embolism several years ago which was a rare side effect of another medication I was taking as part of prostate cancer treatment and having a stroke about 3 years ago resulting from atrial fibrillation - not something I wish to experience again to get a "free" shot and waiting in a line at a Government facility.

Armando
May 12th, 2021, 11:56
The AstraZeneca will be available for free although the mechanism has not been set up yet; it appears it most likely will be available in June or August at the latest.
How long have the authorities been sitting on their backsides thinking about when they might start setting up the mechanism? The mind boggles yet again. A disgrace!

StevieWonders
May 12th, 2021, 12:09
Typical of Americans with an exaggerated sense of entitlement

Dodger
May 12th, 2021, 12:10
...... For Embassy personnel it is possible as the vaccines even though not approved in Thailand would arrive via diplomatic pouch which is not subject to Thai Government rules and would also occur on Embassy/Consulate grounds, which are deemed to be US territory.

As a retired expat, I am only an immigrant on temporary permission to stay in Thailand, not a citizen. I am a citizen of the United States, the same as the Embassy personnel assigned to work at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. If I were to be provided a U.S. vaccine at the U.S. Embassy which stands on U.S. Territory, I really don't see much anyone could do about it, even if they wanted to.

The American expats I know (including myself) don't want any vaccine other than one that was produced in the U.S. The others only half-work (if they don't kill you), and even the peasants over here don't want them for free. Even if this cheap crap worked, less than 1% of the Thai population has been vaccinated. Translating to: They don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I agree, that this proposal will probably fail. There are a lot of political and logistical considerations to deal with, and I've never seen any proactive steps being administered by the U.S. Embassy here in Thailand to date. So I wouldn't bet on it. That said, it never hurts to hope.

StevieWonders
May 12th, 2021, 12:19
How long have the authorities been sitting on their backsides thinking about when they might start setting up the mechanism? The mind boggles yet again. A disgrace!You need to read more widely. New Zealand is yet to start its mass vaccination programme. Ditto other Third World countries such as most of Africa.

Brad the Impala
May 12th, 2021, 15:47
As a retired expat, I am only an immigrant on temporary permission to stay in Thailand, not a citizen. I am a citizen of the United States, the same as the Embassy personnel assigned to work at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. If I were to be provided a U.S. vaccine at the U.S. Embassy which stands on U.S. Territory, I really don't see much anyone could do about it, even if they wanted to.

The American expats I know (including myself) don't want any vaccine other than one that was produced in the U.S. The others only half-work (if they don't kill you), and even the peasants over here don't want them for free. Even if this cheap crap worked, less than 1% of the Thai population has been vaccinated. Translating to: They don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Typical of Americans with an exaggerated sense of entitlement

Indeed.

Only the US knows how to produce a good vaccine!!! Such misplaced arrogance.

StevieWonders
May 12th, 2021, 16:06
Indeed.

Only the US knows how to produce a good vaccine!!! Such misplaced arrogance.We may very well find that Dodgems was once employed by J&J or had some other close association such is his infatuation with their particular vaccine.

arsenal
May 12th, 2021, 16:25
One can only imagine the level of vitriol we'll witness here if US expats in Thailand are vaccinated while those from other nations are left waiting.

Oh yes. Mr Artful and Mr All Weather, resplendent and happy on their motorbikes beep beep.

I predict off the scale bitterness and fury from you know who.

Haha Haha.

Dodger
May 12th, 2021, 17:53
Indeed.

Only the US knows how to produce a good vaccine!!! Such misplaced arrogance.

Just for the record Brad, I never stated, or even insinuated that only the U.S. knows how to produce a good vaccine.

I'm interested in the best vaccine, and right now the best are being produced in the U.S. If they can bring these over to Thailand for us American expats - better yet.

goji
May 12th, 2021, 18:28
The American expats I know (including myself) don't want any vaccine other than one that was produced in the U.S. The others only half-work (if they don't kill you)

Please could you share the evidence to support your hypothesis that all the non-US vaccines only half work ?

cdnmatt
May 12th, 2021, 18:34
Please could you share the evidence to support your hypothesis that all the non-US vaccines only half work ?

Especially considering the Pfizer vaccine was developed mainly in Mainz, Germany.

Moses
May 12th, 2021, 23:21
Just for the record Brad, I never stated, or even insinuated that only the U.S. knows how to produce a good vaccine.

I'm interested in the best vaccine, and right now the best are being produced in the U.S. If they can bring these over to Thailand for us American expats - better yet.

funny fact: American vaccine has 25 times higher mortality rate after injection than Russian Sputnik has. So if you will be not lucky enough you will receive high quality euthanasy instead of high quality vaccination :)))

Brad the Impala
May 13th, 2021, 00:29
funny fact: American vaccine has 25 times higher mortality rate after injection than Russian Sputnik has. So if you will be not lucky enough you will receive high quality euthanasy instead of high quality vaccination :)))

Which report has showed this mortality statement to be accurate, and which "American" vaccine are you referring to?

Manforallseasons
May 13th, 2021, 01:08

If you are a doctor working in a Russian hospital and criticize the vaccine you mysteriously fall from a hospital window!

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2021, 02:18

Funny fact, if you offer any of the 7.7 billion non-Russians (and many of the 150 million Russians) a choice between Sputnik-V or Pfizer / Modurna, they're going to choose the Pfizer / Modurna vaccine.

Moses
May 13th, 2021, 02:21
Which report has showed this mortality statement to be accurate, and which "American" vaccine are you referring to?

Around April 30 academic Ginzburg (chief of Gamaleya institute) gave interview to main state Russian news agency TASS. He told it officially about Moderna. Since that time Moderna made no objection. He mention what Pfizer has close to Moderna rate. Also no objection.

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2021, 02:44
Around April 30 academic Ginzburg (chief of Gamaleya institute) gave interview to main state Russian news agency TASS. He told it officially about Moderna. Since that time Moderna made no objection. He mention what Pfizer has close to Moderna rate. Also no objection.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. The guy who shrugs off a piece of BBC reporting because it said India was being hit hard as just Western propaganda nonsense that can be ignored offers this up as evidence that everyone should accept as fact?

You have to quite literally be probably the most biased person I've ever encountered in my life.

StevieWonders
May 13th, 2021, 06:10
Around April 30 academic Ginzburg (chief of Gamaleya institute) gave interview to main state Russian news agency TASS. He told it officially about Moderna. Since that time Moderna made no objection. He mention what Pfizer has close to Moderna rate. Also no objection.Evidently Moderna don’t wish to dignify his comments with a response - no other inference need be made. I note that Moderna yesterday signed a supply deal with Australia.

Dodger
May 13th, 2021, 08:38
I didn't intend for this post to result in World War III, just as an update on what the U.S. is proposing for Thai expats.

Every person has the right to decide for themselves which vaccine(s) they believe are the most reliable based on the avalanche of technical data and expert opinions we've been exposed to for the past 15 months.

If you think the Chinese Sinovac or Sinopharm are the best bet, than by all means, go ahead and get it. If you're leaning more towards the Russian Sputnik vaccine because you're impressed with the data the Russians are making public, than by-all-means, wait to see if this becomes available in Thailand - or catch a flight to Moscow, and get yourself a shot (or 2) of Sputnik.

if you're confident with the timelines and commitments the Thai Government are making regarding AstraZenica, then, again, by-all-means, you should wait until this is made available for expats and get it.

See, the choice is YOURS, based on availability of course. It doesn't matter which vaccines other people like. Hell, this is going to be running through your veins, not anyone else's. Just make the best decision based on your knowledge and level of confidence, and go for it.

Personally, I have more confidence in the American vaccines. That's my prerogative. And if the U.S. can support me getting this taken care of in Thailand, I'd be as happy as a pig in poo. Who wouldn't be?

StevieWonders
May 13th, 2021, 08:43
It ain’t gonna happen.

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2021, 08:47
White House press secretary chimed in on this today, and as expected:

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said this week the U.S. government is focused on the safety of Americans around the world but is not now prepared to provide vaccines.

"We have not historically provided private healthcare for Americans living overseas, so that remains our policy," Psaki told reporters. "But I don't have anything to predict in terms of what may be ahead."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/far-flung-us-citizens-clamour-vaccines-embassies-2021-05-12/

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2021, 10:33
PS. Just realized, isn't it nice that the US is back to being a government that actually holds press briefings?

It's quite helpful in staying informed...

Manforallseasons
May 13th, 2021, 11:54
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1216914-far-flung-us-citizens-clamour-for-vaccines-from-embassies/?do=findComment&comment=16468120

Moses
May 13th, 2021, 12:21
You gotta be fucking kidding me. The guy who shrugs off a piece of BBC reporting because it said India was being hit hard as just Western propaganda nonsense that can be ignored offers this up as evidence that everyone should accept as fact?

You have to quite literally be probably the most biased person I've ever encountered in my life.

I like your post. Do you now why? Because you have no facts to objection, so you started to discuss me. Congrats! You have empty hands and lose discussion.

cdnmatt
May 13th, 2021, 12:48
I like your post. Do you now why? Because you have no facts to objection, so you started to discuss me. Congrats! You have empty hands and lose discussion.

So let me get this right... BBC reports facts on India's latest outbreak, and that can just be disregarded as Western propaganda.

Some guy says something on a Russian news program without evidence, and because Modurna didn't pro-actively come out and refute that statement, it must be true? Do you not maybe, just maybe... see there might be a small issue with that line of logic?

I know that Putin is actually a lizard man who keeps a bunch of flying dragons as pets in his basement, and flys around on them every night while spear hunting grizzly bears.

If Putin himself doesn't come out and refute that statement within 48 hours, then I guess that makes it true.

StevieWonders
May 13th, 2021, 13:20
So let me get this right... BBC reports facts on India's latest outbreak, and that can just be disregarded as Western propaganda.

Some guy says something on a Russian news program without evidence, and because Modurna didn't pro-actively come out and refute that statement, it must be true? Do you not maybe, just maybe... see there might be a small issue with that line of logic?

I know that Putin is actually a lizard man who keeps a bunch of flying dragons as pets in his basement, and flys around on them every night while spear hunting grizzly bears.

If Putin himself doesn't come out and refute that statement within 48 hours, then I guess that makes it true.
I thought Moses’ riposte to you rather good. I was going to ask him if I could use with MFAS.

Dodger
May 16th, 2021, 09:42
Now that this proposal has been stone-walled, we're back to flipping a coin again to see when a decent vaccine is available for us yanks.

My daughter has been trying to convince me to just come home for a visit so I could get the vaccine there. Very tempting, as I fly for free on my AMEX air miles which are growing dust in my account...have living quarters in the lower level of my daughters home for my return visits...and even have my car in storage next to her home. That, coupled with the fact that there's 100 Italian women in the family who always tell me I'm too skinny when they see me - who would undoubtedly be cooking up a storm. So, free trip, and I really do miss family & friends.

My only concern is the long flight (27 hours + 3 airplanes + 2 connecting airports) and the risk of getting covid in the process.

I'm going to continue to be patient until August before making a decision.

cdnmatt
May 16th, 2021, 09:49
You could always roll the dice and buy a vaccine off the darknet.

In seriousness though, I think waiting until August is a good plan. Your life and up to you, but if I was in your position, I'd be willing to wait it out until late summer as you're planning, but would also ensure I got a vaccine one way or another by mid September at the very latest. Winters are always the worst season for these viruses, so I personally wouldn't want to go into another winter without a vaccination.

goji
May 16th, 2021, 15:24
My only concern is the long flight (27 hours + 3 airplanes + 2 connecting airports) and the risk of getting covid in the process.

I'm going to continue to be patient until August before making a decision.

Plus whatever quarantine you have to do when returning to Thailand ?

Manforallseasons
May 18th, 2021, 18:25
The U.S. is about to export 80 million doses of vaccines.......Why not vaccinate there own citizens living abroad?

cdnmatt
May 18th, 2021, 18:37
The U.S. is about to export 80 million doses of vaccines.......Why not vaccinate there own citizens living abroad?

How exactly do you propose they handle the logistics of such an operation? Air lift freezers that can handle -70C temperatures to embassies around the world, then deploy the US military to setup vaccination centers on foreign soil around the globe?

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations.

What would happen to non-US family members of Americans? Lots of Americans are married abroad and have kids. Do they get vaccinated, or too bad for them? If yes, what about the spouse's family then?

On a lighter note, I finally get my jab in less than 9 hours. :)

EDIT: Just checked, and there's ~8.7 million Americans living abroad. Would be quite the daunting task to track them all down all over the globe and get them a vaccine.

Manforallseasons
May 18th, 2021, 19:34
How exactly do you propose they handle the logistics of such an operation? Air lift freezers that can handle -70C temperatures to embassies around the world, then deploy the US military to setup vaccination centers on foreign soil around the globe?

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations..

Bode well or not citizens live abroad pay taxes etc. They used to do outreach for citizens in Pattaya etc.when they would verify income now they can be bothered doing that anymore so send vaccines to the Embassy let them handle the logistics. The only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.

StevieWonders
May 18th, 2021, 19:48
The U.S. is about to export 80 million doses of vaccines.......Why not vaccinate there own citizens living abroad?John1:23

Manforallseasons
May 18th, 2021, 21:04
Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations..
Bode well or not citizens live abroad pay taxes etc. They used to do outreach for citizens in Pattaya etc.when they would verify income now they can be bothered doing that anymore so send vaccines to the Embassy let them handle the logistics. The only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.

Dodger
May 19th, 2021, 07:56

......the only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.

bingo!

StevieWonders
May 19th, 2021, 08:42
bingo!My President, my President, why hast Thou forsaken me.

cdnmatt
May 19th, 2021, 09:53
Reminds me of Canadians when the pandemic first hit. Canadian government kept telling everyone for about two months, if you're a Canadian living abroad, it's time to come home.

The the air space all over the world closed, and sure enough, you had a bunch of Canadians giving interviews to the news, "I'm stuck here in Peru (or whate ever), and just can't understand why the Canadian government won't help its own citizen get home, it's so frustrating and saddening", et al.

You guys can't possibly expect the US government to go chasing around 8.7 million Americans living abroad all over the world, and try to get them a strictly controlled substance with even just as strict storage requirements, because you made the decision to stay abroad during a pandemic. It's a little bit of an unrealistic request.

Having said that, even though I got my first Modurna jab today, I'd still happily switch with you guys. If I could have spent the past year in Asia versus here in Canada and wait a little longer for a vaccine, that would be totally worth it for me.

cdnmatt
May 19th, 2021, 15:09
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1217603-more-vax-disappointment-pm-prayut-puts-the-brakes-on-walk-in-centers/?utm_source=newsletter-20210519-1248&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Assuming that's true, geez... PM says no more walk-in clinics, waiting on the re-development of the mobile app for vaccine registrations because apparently first iteration was shit, and 20,000 vaccine doses destined for Pattaya simply never showed up.

Dodger
May 19th, 2021, 15:52
Plus whatever quarantine you have to do when returning to Thailand ?

Honestly, I wouldn't do a home visit if quarantines were still in place on this side of the ocean.

2lz2p
May 20th, 2021, 06:40
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1217603-more-vax-disappointment-pm-prayut-puts-the-brakes-on-walk-in-centers/?utm_source=newsletter-20210519-1248&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Assuming that's true, geez... PM says no more walk-in clinics, waiting on the re-development of the mobile app for vaccine registrations because apparently first iteration was shit, and 20,000 vaccine doses destined for Pattaya simply never showed up.

The registration app Mor Prompt on LINE is apparently working fine - for Thais. It is as I understand it in Thai and requires a Thai ID number. From reports, it will accept farangs if they have the pink ID card (those included in a "Yellow" house registration book can obtain one). My bf and another Thai friend have successfully registered using the system, but no appointment date, time, or location as yet.

For farangs to register it is development of a similar app rather than redevelopment of the existing one. The new one will be for foreigners to register and as I understand it, will be in English and allow Non-Thais to register, probably using passport number.

When developed and made available, foreigners can then register to obtain the vaccination for free, same as Thais. But there will be no choice of vaccine. Currently, the Thai government is providing Sanovac (Chinese vaccine) for elderly or having certain underlying medical conditions as well as medical personnel and others in designated locations. The AstraZeneca vaccine will also be used starting next month (Thai pharmaceutical company licensed to make it and will start delivering in June). The government is also considering having special locations for farangs to receive the vaccine - one where staff speak English to provide better communication.

Moderna (USA) has just been approved by the Thai FDA and is the one expected to given by private hospitals, but not for free. The Private Hospital Association says the price will depend on cost, but should not exceed 3,000 baht (in total for both doses). From their announcements, private hospitals cannot buy direct from the vaccine manufacturer because the vaccine makers can only sell to governments as they have been approved for emergency use only. Private hospitals will need to order through the Thai government's pharmaceutical office. Expectation seems to be that they will have it available in August or September.

Dodger
May 21st, 2021, 10:32

Moderna (USA) has just been approved by the Thai FDA and is the one expected to given by private hospitals, but not for free. The Private Hospital Association says the price will depend on cost, but should not exceed 3,000 baht (in total for both doses). From their announcements, private hospitals cannot buy direct from the vaccine manufacturer because the vaccine makers can only sell to governments as they have been approved for emergency use only. Private hospitals will need to order through the Thai government's pharmaceutical office. Expectation seems to be that they will have it available in August or September.

Thanks 2Lz2P. Useful information, and much appreciated.

Apparently Moderna has been shown to have a 95% efficacy level, which according to a publicized statement made by Anthony Fauci, is truly remarkable. Other publications say that this vaccine should arrive in Thailand around the September timeframe, and be sold by private hospitals for a cost not to exceed 3,000 THB (two doses).

I wish this was all happening sooner (don't we all), but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel for us expats over here, and I really like the sound of Moderna.

StevieWonders
May 21st, 2021, 11:01
Emperor Xi doesn’t care about public opinion as China starts a worldwide campaign to vaccinate its own citizens abroad - https://apnews.com/article/china-thailand-coronavirus-pandemic-health-0c0928db9f49e151ed729b15aa9fb85d

Sen Yai
May 21st, 2021, 12:12
Emperor Xi doesn’t care about public opinion as China starts a worldwide campaign to vaccinate its own citizens abroad - https://apnews.com/article/china-thailand-coronavirus-pandemic-health-0c0928db9f49e151ed729b15aa9fb85d

Fabulous! I guess that China is (at least in part) doing this to demonstrate that China CAN when America CAN'T!

StevieWonders
May 21st, 2021, 12:24
Fabulous! I guess that China is (at least in part) doing this to demonstrate that China CAN when America CAN'T!WILL rather than CAN I’d have thought. The Chinese government had already announced that any Chinese national returning to China must be vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine so this is the logical corollary of that - Chinese chauvinism through and through. It was reported in the Economist some weeks ago (March 27) and I included the link in a post I made then. The Guardian also reported then that everyone entering China, national or foreigner, must have been vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine. (March 17)

Dodger
May 21st, 2021, 12:55
Thailand FDA Approves Modena - Bangkok Post

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2115195/thai-fda-approves-moderna-vaccine

Some Facts About Moderna:

https://thestandard.co/moderna-vaccine-in-depth/

One Bangkok Post article stated that Moderna would arrive in Thailand in August, and anther article published by the very same newspaper 2 days later, stated it will arrive in October.

In-other-words, they don't know when it will arrive.

Jai and I are planning for the end of the year.

Dodger
May 24th, 2021, 08:25
It looks like Thai private hospitals have collectively agreed to cap the price of Moderna (2 doses) at 3,000 baht.

Now, all they have to do is get it here.

As a side note, the Thais that Jai and I interact with aren't happy at all with Sinovac...some refusing to take it even for free. No surprise there!

Bangkok Post:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2112411/moderna-package-likely-below-b3-000

Ruthrieston
May 24th, 2021, 09:21
Frankly I think we would be lucky to see the private hospitals providing the Moderna vaccine by October, and then there will be a battle to get a booking. Sigh.

Dodger
May 24th, 2021, 11:15
Frankly I think we would be lucky to see the private hospitals providing the Moderna vaccine by October, and then there will be a battle to get a booking. Sigh.

I had the same concern initially, but apparently over 400 hospitals belonging to The Private Hospital Association will be on the distribution plan.

I don't mind driving to one with a short waiting list if I have to.

Manforallseasons
June 2nd, 2021, 20:28
Update: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2125831/americans-plead-for-vaccines-as-top-us-diplomat-visits

StevieWonders
June 3rd, 2021, 05:37
Update: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2125831/americans-plead-for-vaccines-as-top-us-diplomat-visitsThanks for sharing. I’d have thought any surplus vaccine should first go as war reparations to Afghanistan and Iraq. Or perhaps the poorest nations of Africa have a claim.

Manforallseasons
June 3rd, 2021, 14:06
More: https://youtu.be/bCbB2d7UAwY

Dodger
June 3rd, 2021, 18:57
Update: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2125831/americans-plead-for-vaccines-as-top-us-diplomat-visits

Sounds promising.

Dodger
June 3rd, 2021, 19:15
More: https://youtu.be/bCbB2d7UAwY

Evan more promising.

No downside...win/win.

Any vaccine made in the U.S. works for me.

Dodger
June 4th, 2021, 08:57
The U.S. is starting to distribute vaccines to other countries from its huge surplus of FDA approved vaccines. (see link below)

This should complement, not detract from, efforts of the Biden Administration to assist expats in Thailand getting vaccinated. There's an estimated 50,000 - 100,000 U.S. citizens residing in Thailand.

Details of the Deputy Secretary of States meeting with the Thai PM this week have not been disclosed in the Press as of yet (at least nothing I can see), although earlier reports indicate that her boss, Anthony Blinken U.S. Secretary of State, is enthusiastic about the proposal to send vaccines to U.S. citizens in Thailand (and other countries).

All the big guns now seem to be behind this. Fingers crosses U.S. expats can get taken care of soon.

Reportedly, England and Australia have rejected such plans, although, like everything else regarding these vaccines, this could always change. Fingers-crossed that ALL expats can be taken care of.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/03/1002888711/the-u-s-is-sending-at-least-80-million-surplus-covid-19-vaccines-abroad

Dodger
June 4th, 2021, 12:10
Some insight on the "discussion points" between U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and the PM of Thailand.

Thaiger News Release:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/american-expats-to-us-dep-sec-of-state-give-us-vaccines

Dodger
June 4th, 2021, 12:25
Things seem to be moving.

Coming right on the heels of the meeting between U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and the Thai PM on June 1-2 - arrangements are apparently being made to clarify Thailand's Vaccine Swap Agreement, in leu of Thailand not being part of the WHO COVAX Program.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has clarified that Thailand has entered into an agreement on exchange of vaccines, which was different from joining the Covax Facility.

The Nation
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001471

StevieWonders
June 12th, 2021, 11:03
It seems the French may do what the Americans won’t - https://www.thaipbsworld.com/french-embassy-in-bangkok-says-vaccination-of-its-citizens-in-thailand-has-not-been-finalised/

Manforallseasons
June 12th, 2021, 15:35
This is the response from the U.S. embassy in regards to an email I sent :

In summary the U.S. is sending millions of excess vaccines to help foreign countries, as for their citizens living abroad they need to wait for the scraps to fall of the table from other foreign governments.

goji
June 12th, 2021, 16:52
This is the response from the U.S. embassy in regards to an email I sent :

In summary the U.S. is sending millions of excess vaccines to help foreign countries, as for their citizens living abroad they need to wait for the scraps to fall of the table from other foreign governments.

Their reply seems perfectly reasonable to me. I believe it is normal for governments not to provide medical care to their citizens living or traveling overseas. We know that before we travel, so it is not something to complain about.

However, if countries like the US and UK start donating surplus vaccines abroad, I would hope they make sure the recipient countries are allocating vaccines fairly to all residents, with no discrimination based on nationality.

Also, if the 500 US million vaccines are actually sent to the poorest countries, I guess that will exclude Thailand, which is in the top half of countries ranked by nominal GDP per capita (IMF).

Now looking at vaccine availability, there's a graph in the Financial Times today, showing projected vaccine production in 2022 for each vaccine maker. Totaling it up, I get over 20 billion vaccines. More than enough for the world population. Also, earlier than that, the developed countries which have been leading the vaccination will be completing their first round of vaccinations.
So more doses ought to trickle down.

That doesn't get you a vaccine just yet. However, if you do the maths, your probability of dying in the next few months is barely increased by the presence of covid.
Due to heuristics, people tend to overweight the probability of dying from shark bites. Covid seems to be the same (availability heuristic?).

Manforallseasons
June 12th, 2021, 18:01
Their reply seems perfectly reasonable to me. I believe it is normal for governments not to provide medical care to their citizens living or traveling overseas. We know that before we travel, so it is not something to complain about.

goji lives in the U.K. and has surely received at least one shot of a vaccine. He visits Thailand as a tourist not as a expat who pays taxes to his own country, so frankly his opinion on this subject is meaningless.

Brad the Impala
June 12th, 2021, 18:44
goji lives in the U.K. and has surely received at least one shot of a vaccine. He visits Thailand as a tourist not as a expat who pays taxes to his own country, so frankly his opinion on this subject is meaningless.

Did you really think that the US would ride to your rescue with a vaccination when you chose to live abroad. Sort of Ride of the Valkyries with needles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ_zNUmr8fM

Perhaps you should go home and enjoy the benefits of your taxes, unless you really still believe that you can have your cake and eat it!

goji
June 12th, 2021, 19:30

I have received 2 doses of the vaccine. You are correct that there is a subtle difference as the US is one of about 2 countries which tax their citizens no matter where they live worldwide, but none of this invalidates any of my other comments.

You still KNOW you don't get medical care when moving abroad etc. Some people accept responsibility for their own decisions, others moan.

Manforallseasons
June 12th, 2021, 22:56
Brad & gogi…..gogi must be the little one.:drink:

goji
June 13th, 2021, 03:53
MFAS on the right :)

Jellybean
June 13th, 2021, 04:42
Brad & gogi…..gogi must be the little one.:drink:

MFAS on the right :)

Dear-oh-dear, the old romantic in me viewed us not as Statler and Waldorf, but as, we few. We happy few. We band of brothers . . . ;)

Time to get back on topic I think. :)

Dodger
June 13th, 2021, 08:59
It sure would be nice if the U.S. would just ship the vaccine over to me to eliminate all this waiting stuff, but all said, I'm just grateful to come from a country where I can return at any time, and not only receive the vaccine immediately, but be provided one of the best vaccines on the market right now.

Prior to retirement, I made 44 roundtrip flights around the planet while enjoying my holidays here, and making one more flight if I had to wouldn't be the end of the world. I have to remind myself sometimes just how fortunate I am.

Also, as a side-note: Just because an agreement to provide American expats vaccines from the U.S. wasn't detailed in the meeting minutes between the Thai PM and U.S. Deputy Sec. of State, doesn't mean a deal wasn't struck. It was highlighted that Thailand has agreed to accept $30 million in U.S. covid aid (900 million THB), although details regarding this donation were not provided in the Press.

jvt22222
June 13th, 2021, 09:19
I may be wrong, but I think I have read that the huge USA contribution of vaccines is to be provided to the WHO COVAX operation …. Thailand in NOT participating in the COVAX distribution plan.

Dodger
June 13th, 2021, 09:32
I may be wrong, but I think I have read that the huge USA contribution of vaccines is to be provided to the WHO COVAX operation …. Thailand in NOT participating in the COVAX distribution plan.

Thailand recently developed a "Vaccine Swap Program" to facilitate the exchange of vaccines between countries. They did this in leu of not being part of COVAX.

The U.S. is involved in making many vaccine donations. Some are part of a recent UN platform to provide the planet with a billion doses, and other more regionalized programs. The direct donation(s) to Thailand are aimed at covid relief in general, where apparently the funds are to be used to purchase ventilators, face masks, vaccine, and other covid-related necessities.

Dodger
August 11th, 2021, 15:01
I arrived at MedPark Hospital in Bangkok for my appointment for the vaccine at 10:30 AM this morning. I was told when first registering that the vaccine would be AstraZenica.

When I first arrived at the hospital I stood in a fairly long line at the hospital doors marked "Covid Vaccine". Before I even got to the front of the line a Thai girl with a hospital insignia on her collar approached me and asked to see my passport. After looking at my passport she directed me to enter the hospital through a different set of doors than the line of people were heading towards. Very strange...I thought there was going to be a problem.

I received the Pfizer vaccine and given an appointment to return in 3 weeks for the second jab.

Thank you U.S.A.

Dodger
August 12th, 2021, 16:24
Did you really think that the US would ride to your rescue with a vaccination when you chose to live abroad.

Yes, I actually did.

And they did.

Go Biden!

Dodger
August 12th, 2021, 16:39
Remarks by U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield
Med Park Hospital Vaccination Center
August 10, 2021

(Just one day before my visit...how's that for luck)

https://th.usembassy.gov/081021-usun-ltg-remarks/

Dodger
September 5th, 2021, 12:15
I think it's safe to say that the majority foreign expats residing in Thailand over age 60 have now received at least their first jab of either Pfizer or AstraZenica vaccine. This is a lot different from what the government was broadcasting 12 months ago - which highlighted the fact that foreigners would be on the end of the list. To everyone's amazement, foreign expats have actually found themselves in the front of the line, with less than 20% of Thai nationals being vaccinated to date (I think).

Another amazement: What ever happened to the 3,000 baht foreigners were going to be charged for the vaccine. Every single person I know, including myself, has received the vaccine for free as sponsored by the government. Strange!

I received my second jab of Pfizer last week at MedPark Hospital in Bangkok. Other friends were able to get vaccinated at the Bang Sue Train Station in Bangkok (AstraZenica), and others went to Central Festival in Pattaya the week of August 24th to get Pfizer, or, BHP in Pattaya who were also offering Pfizer.

The goal to get 70% of the population in Pattaya (Thai and farang) vaccinated before October 1st for the planned reopening of the City seems somewhat feasible, although relies heavily on the supply of vaccine(s) made in Thailand which, as everyone over here knows, is a shot in the dark.

Thanks to the USA who donated 1.5 million doses of Pfizer, along with promises from Thailand that Americans and other foreigners would benefit from this donation. I assume other countries made similar donations but I haven't been following the news that closely.

The Thais are still being force-fed the Chinese Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines until other alternatives are available.

Thais seem split on their opinions regarding these vaccines in general: Some will accept the Chinese crap and get a better booster later on - and others are rejecting it. Can't say that I blame them.

arsenal
September 5th, 2021, 12:46
"The Thais are still being force-fed the Chinese Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines until other alternatives are available."

It's interesting and every one including the govt is confused. 565 province wide cases and to date, no deaths. Yet with 90% vaccinated the govt still didn't trust their own vaccine (nor their testing) and went into full lockdown. This one might rely on sheer weight of numbers to be effective.

Moses
September 5th, 2021, 14:16
The Thais are still being force-fed the Chinese Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines until other alternatives are available.

Thais seem split on their opinions regarding these vaccines in general: Some will accept the Chinese crap and get a better booster later on - and others are rejecting it. Can't say that I blame them.

Yes-yes... "Chinese crap"... You and me see the same on pics?

Source https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#main_table

Dodger
September 5th, 2021, 14:37

I think we see the same pics, but interpret them differently.

goji
September 5th, 2021, 15:26

Source https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#main_table

You might be the only person on the board who believes the figures approved by the Chairman of the Chinese Communist Party.
We'll have to think of a good acronym for that. I suppose CCCP is now available, but may cause confusion.