PDA

View Full Version : Early Retirement in Thailand Could of Would of Should of?

Manforallseasons
April 20th, 2021, 19:16
I retired early shortly after 9-11. My first port of call was Bali, after some months I needed to leave Indo to renew my visa, came to BKK short trip to Pattaya, back to Bali packed my things moved to Thailand.
One of the benefits of not being married and not having kids gives you the ability to do as you please financially and otherwise such as retiring early and living where and how you please.Having said that would my choice be Thailand, then it would have been, if now was then I would be looking at other options.

goji
April 20th, 2021, 22:59
Which other options ?

Manforallseasons
April 20th, 2021, 23:57
Which other options ?

Guadalajara Mexico......Quito Ecuador

goji
April 21st, 2021, 00:57

A quick google search for "gay Quito Equador" produced results which did not challenge my preconceptions. Here's a gay pride event for you: http://www.latinxtoday.com/309_english-news/5490013_gay-pride-march-in-quito-recognizes-diversity-new-challenges.html/www.bpneumann.com

I then had a look at Grindr, which supported all my preconceptions. Hairy and frequently overweight boys.
I'll pass on that.

Recognising that we all have different tastes, if this is what you're looking for, why not move there, just as soon as they cleared Covid-19 ?

Manforallseasons
April 21st, 2021, 01:13
Ezriel would be just fine.....I have never been a rice queen and previously have spent time in the Dominican Republic and a lot of time in Puerto Rico, Asia was more or less by accident.

Over the past few years more “boys” have taken on this look and yes we all have different tastes however this type I find nauseating and is 1 reason I avoid Jomtien Complex.

goji
April 21st, 2021, 02:28
One suffers from a large & distasteful tattoo, but is otherwise OK.

If it's who I think it is, the other one is over 30 and has either used a lot of botox or photoshopping to achieve that result. I know someone who met him several times a few years ago and the profile pictures seem to get younger every few months. The wrinkles that were there 5 years ago have completely gone.
I might just be mistaken, as the photos keep evolving so much and are now even more "optimized" than at the start of the year.
No chance of me meeting this one.

latintopxxx
April 21st, 2021, 03:26
...lets not be sooo judgemental...each to his own....

Dodger
April 21st, 2021, 13:17

The State of Guadalajara has 2,300,000 reported cases of covid - with 212,000 deaths. As compared to the Country of Thailand which has 46,000 cases and 110 deaths.

Here's a video of one of the off-duty male dancers. (I wonder how much for a short-time)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqboHQYd0E

Manforallseasons
April 21st, 2021, 14:11
The State of Guadalajara has 2,300,000 reported cases of covid - with 212,000 deaths. As compared to the Country of Thailand which has 46,000 cases and 110 deaths.

Here's a video of one of the off-duty male dancers. (I wonder how much for a short-time)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqboHQYd0E

Any comparisons during Covid are relatively meaningless as is the video you posted.

francois
April 21st, 2021, 16:14
Once I completed my education which lasted the first 26 years of life, I set a goal to work for 26 more years and then try to retire. Luckily I was offered an early retirement at age 53 and retired from my one and only career. My final goal was to live another 26 years of leisure which I did accomplish with the last 21 years spent, off and on, in Thailand where I now live as an expat. I have no regrets about retiring early but do have some regrets about how I spent/squandered money which would be useful at this point in my life.
Still in relatively good health but will surely not live another 26 years or,at least, I hope not, but could be dead tomorrow.

Dodger
April 21st, 2021, 16:52

......Having said that would my choice be Thailand, then it would have been, if now was then I would be looking at other options.

Not playing on words, but, what's the difference between "then" and "now" as far as your decision where to live goes?

Thailand is in much better shape than most other countries as far as Covid goes. And even with the declining gay scene (which we've been watching for over a decade now), Thailand is still the best gay playground around. So, if you were retiring today, why would you pick somewhere other than Thailand to hang your hat? And if so, where...on Neptune?

a447
April 21st, 2021, 17:15
And if so, where...on Neptune?

How about Uranus?

I still think Asia is the easiest place to find sex. There seems to be an abundance of willing guys and they are quite uninhibited.

Best of all, I always feel safe when I'm alone with them in my hotel room. I can't say the same about Western guys - I don't have the same confidence. Besides, they are a lot bigger then me.

At one stage I did Didier buying a condo in Pattaya but an glad I quickly came to my senses. I decided I did not want to retire in a third works country.

I once bought a condo in Bali and immediately regretted it. Tusk good I didn't make the same mistake.

Thailand is close to where I live so I'm happy to just fly in and fly out whenever I get the urge.

Dodger
April 21st, 2021, 19:15
Home is what you make it.

a447
April 21st, 2021, 19:38
Stupid auto-correct! Lol

Manforallseasons
April 21st, 2021, 20:08
I sold my condo here before the bottom feel out of the real estate market here however, if someone wanted to retire to the L.O.S. and would like to own instead of renting there are some great deals to be had considering the amount of new and old property on the market, it is definitely a buyers market.

fedssocr
April 21st, 2021, 20:13
There was a time a few years ago when I started thinking about retiring to Thailand. But I'm not so keen on the idea anymore. I have 7 years until I plan to retire, so the world will likely be very different between now and then. A good friend of mine who just turned 65 asks a lot of good questions about where to retire. He mostly worries about things like having friends nearby to help take care of you if you end up with health issues.

If I did retire abroad I think I would just rent rather than buy property.

Dodger
April 22nd, 2021, 09:05
I sold my condo here before the bottom feel out of the real estate market here however, if someone wanted to retire to the L.O.S. and would like to own instead of renting there are some great deals to be had considering the amount of new and old property on the market, it is definitely a buyers market.

I can't believe they're still building ?!?!?!?

Armando
April 22nd, 2021, 10:28
I bought in Bangkok when the market was also more one for buyers, a couple of years after the Asian Economic Crisis with a glut and a lower rate for the Baht. I have never regretted it. When I think what renting would have cost while staying in the same condo for two decades, whatever I get for this condo when it is finally sold is all profit. If I had had to sell last year, that profit would have been 20% to 30% less than the year before and perhaps what I'd get in 2 or 3 years time, but there will always be peaks and troughs in any property market.

Then again I had not retired. I had the benefit of being able to locate almost anywhere in Asia for work provided I was near an international airport. I had visited Bangkok quite a few times over many years. For one of these I seriously worked out the pros and cons of where I would like to live both for the short and longer term. At the end of the 1990s, Penang was incredibly inviting, if only because the prices of good new apartments on the beach road between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi were so low they were almost being given away. But becoming a beach bum was never part of my plans and my list had narrowed to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. Both were inexpensive and both had much to offer, even though KL's nightlife was a fraction of Bangkok's.

But it was not the availability of sex that drew me to Bangkok, although that was no doubt a part of it. It was a concern about religion. Despite its other attractions I was not sure if I could live long-term in what is essentially an Islamic society that favours local Malays in preference to local Chinese. So I opted for Bangkok. Finding an apartment still took several weeks because my knowledge of the city beforehand had been more or less just the gay areas. Eventually I found one within my budget in a quiet residential district very close to the centre. Now that I am retired I have never been anything other than happy living here.

Were I of an age when I could consider early retirement now, I have no idea where I would end up. I love Tokyo but cost would rule that out. Singapore has many attractions despite the notorious colonial law against homosexual behaviour. The Prime Minister has said it will remain on the statute books but not be acted on. Besides, walk down Orchard Road and the eye candy is almost the best anywhere. The Philippines is cheap but unlike many I have rarely been a fan of Filipino boys. Hong Kong is too expensive and the recent clampdown by the powers in Beijing would make it a rather dismal society in which to live. My feelings about Malaysia have only strengthened as I have visited in the last two decades. Loads more Middle Eastern tourists in strict Islamic dress make me feel slightly uncomfortable, even though I have had several excellent vacations in the Middle East. Taipei's burgeoning sex scene of recent years and its hot spring culture with all those naked Taiwanese boys would certainly be tempting. The city also offers so much else that Bangkok can offer, But I would have to get to know the city better and probably have to learn Mandarin for English is less common. I'd also be concerned about noise pollution within an apartment building. I'd be mightily pissed off if I had a long term rental on a nice flat only to find that the neighbours got out the mahjong tiles after dinner. That constant clacking coming through the wall would drive me mad. Plus the island is on an active seismic fault with occasional quite serious earthquakes. In the 1990s the city had a wonderfully large sauna close to the main station that attracted so many stunning young Taiwanese. I loved my visits there. An earthquake near the end of the decade resulted in that building having to be torn down, sadly.

So, I suspect I would still end up in Bangkok. I'm not a country person and need to be in a big city, Pattaya has never held much attraction for me. 20 years ago Chiang Mai could have been an option, but now the two months of severe haze and the reduction of the gay scene to virtually nil rules it out.

Dodger
April 22nd, 2021, 13:32
I've never once regretted my decision to retire in Thailand, and couldn't be happier with my lifestyle here - even with a Pandemic going on.

I pondered buying versus renting for years, but came to the conclusion that owning my own place would work best for me. Similar to what Armando has experienced, I've saved close to 500,000 THB in just the 2-1/2 years that I've been retired by not having to pay rent every month for a unit similar to the one I own. And that doesn't include a significant reduction in my electric bill. I was renting various units in LOS for years before buying and always got scammed into paying the inflated monthly electric bill based on the whims of the greedy building owner(s). Now I pay the EXACT amount due directly to the electric company which has cut the cost of electric in half.

I've always had the HOTS for Asian guys, with Thai boys being my favorite - and the availability of affordable sex partners in Thailand is simply unrivaled IMHO.

Manforallseasons
April 22nd, 2021, 14:09
I think anyone who buys anything on L.O.S. is making a mistake no mater how much the prices fall. Having owned and now renting I cherish the ability to pack my bags and leave without being tied to property, I know Dodger for many years through his many relationships first the ladyboy whom he visited almost daily in prison to number 2 who was a massage boy who he had a mock wedding with (I was the photographer) to your current seamstress aka. dressmaker who I met with him in Makro. Number 2 was actually good looking. You bought 2 units and joined then together 1 in the seamstress name one in yours, considering your history what happens should your current situation change? Do you just put a wall up between the 2?

cdnmatt
April 22nd, 2021, 14:31
If Dodger is right, and the Chonburi / Rayong area modernizes itself into a tech manufacturing hub of SE Asia, I'm quite confident he'll be pretty pleased with his decision to purchase.

francois
April 22nd, 2021, 17:42
Ezriel would be just fine.....I have never been a rice queen and previously have spent time in the Dominican Republic and a lot of time in Puerto Rico, Asia was more or less by accident.

Over the past few years more “boys” have taken on this look and yes we all have different tastes however this type I find nauseating and is 1 reason I avoid Jomtien Complex.

Number 1 Boy is yummy, yummy!

Dodger
April 22nd, 2021, 19:33

I was thinking the same thing.

"Beauty is on the eye of the beholder" as they say.

Dodger
April 22nd, 2021, 20:40

You bought 2 units and joined then together 1 in the seamstress name one in yours, considering your history what happens should your current situation change? Do you just put a wall up between the 2?

We haven't seen each other in quite some time.

The second condo I purchased is now in my name. I'll leave the wall building to Donald Trump.

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't be happier with my decision to retire in Thailand, or my decision to buy versus renting.

If you're happy, then that's all that really matters, and whatever you're doing is right for you.

goji
April 22nd, 2021, 21:01
If you're happy, then that's all that really matters
Loving every minute & acting as an unpaid ambassador for the merits of the Thai gay scene.

Manforallseasons
April 22nd, 2021, 21:24
We haven't seen each other in quite some time.

The second condo I purchased is now in my name.

Smart move!

Jellybean
April 23rd, 2021, 01:38
Ezriel would be just fine......

He would be 'just fine' for me too Manforallseasons. My last real (by that I mean no money exchanged hands) boyfriend was from Quito, Ecuador. We met in a London gay bar and split up in 2002.

goji
April 23rd, 2021, 02:08
Ezriel could be fine for me, but:

1 We might find he's not interested in renting his ass out. Remember, Pattaya's one of the very few places where the majority of the boys are available to older guys.
2 Then he might be a top or something.
3 Finally, after peeling off those clothes, he might be carrying a lot more weight than expected.

Generally, if going to some random city and there's just one cute boy on the first 3 pages of Grindr, the odds are not good.

However, anyone cherishing the freedom of renting an apartment has the easy option of moving there and trying it out.

Dodger
April 23rd, 2021, 08:54
Smart move!

As you correctly stated before, this is a "buyers market". This, coupled with the EEC investment/expansion along the eastern seaboard between Na Jomtien and Rayong, make properties within walking distance to the shoreline solid investments IMO. I imagine one would have to sit on it for 3 - 5 years to make any real money.

snotface
April 23rd, 2021, 09:51

With a LOT of help from photoshop. Caveat emptor.

StevieWonders
April 23rd, 2021, 09:52
As you correctly stated before, this is a "buyers market". This, coupled with the EEC investment/expansion along the eastern seaboard between Na Jomtien and Rayong, make properties within walking distance to the shoreline solid investments IMO. I imagine one would have to sit on it for 3 - 5 years to make any real money.
There’s a buyers’ market for junk too; that doesn’t mean it’s sensible to buy it.

arsenal
April 23rd, 2021, 12:19
MFAS asked.
"You bought 2 units and joined then together 1 in the seamstress name one in yours, considering your history what happens should your current situation change? Do you just put a wall up between the 2?".

I think this is the perfect solution.

goji
April 23rd, 2021, 14:53
With a LOT of help from photoshop. Caveat emptor.

Boy 1 as well ?
The photo of boy 2 is such an egregious misrepresentation that any customer would be perfectly entitled to tell him to naff off, after seeing what shows up.

snotface
April 23rd, 2021, 15:47
Boy 1 as well ?

Yes. He has a very unsightly facial skin condition.

Dodger
April 23rd, 2021, 20:33
To me, the term "Retirement" is totally outdated, and doesn't reflect how a person should perceive this phase in his life at all.

When I first started planning for the transition from “work” to “freedom” I did so with the mindset that I would be entering the most productive and personally rewarding phase in my life. “Retirement” suggests the end of a process. “Freedom Phase”, which is my term for this period in my life, suggests the beginning of a new process. Subtle difference – but extremely significant (to me anyway).

The pace I maintained throughout my career, in my older brothers words, "was a bullet train with no stops". This is what I thrived on. I liked making money...dashing across airport terminals to catch red-eye flights...typing reports on planes...knowing hotel concierge's by their first names...and juggling a dozen projects simultaneously, all of which had pressing deadlines. Not for everyone, that's for sure. But I would have been bored to death doing anything else. I'm only saying these things to give you an idea of the type of transition I was planning for.

The way that I approached retirement was really quite simple. I prepared a Daily Schedule in my Business Planner of the activities I would most likely become involved with after retirement - knowing that I had to create a balance of activities to keep healthy (mentally and physically), while at the same time, accomplishing the primary objective which was to be happy, healthy, productive, and fulfilled. I named this Schedule "Freedom Planner" and have it sitting right in front of me now.

One of my objectives was to create a physical fitness routine that would result in me getting in the best physical shape of my life. A bit of a stretch goal considering my age, but something I was going to work towards none-the–less. Examples of other planned activities include; learning new skills (bamboo furniture making/photography), develop expertise in new areas (Research: Theravada Buddhism & Thai culture), write a book (work in-process), Learn/write new songs (guitar music), Travel (road trips), maintain social interactions/friendships, spiritual connections (tamboon, yoga meditation, ME time), keeping up with technology, and goal setting (annual exercise).

I’ve done pretty good at adhering to this Plan, and rarely. If ever, do I find myself getting bored. Most importantly, I feel vital and productive which addresses my biggest concern about this phase in my life, and can say that, at least for me, creating and adhering to this type of Plan is of great benefit.

Since entering my Freedom Phase, I have quit smoking cigarettes, quit going to bars, rarely consume alcohol. In short; I completely altered my lifestyle. My fitness routine lasts 1-1/2 - 2 hours every morning, and I can bench press almost the same amount of weight that I was pressing in the military. Excess body fat is gone and my waist size went from 36 (U.S.) to 32, and I feel great. I’m involved in all of the activities noted in my Plan, although my Road Trips and Social Interactions have been somewhat limited due to the pandemic.

Having a partner who I adore fills in all the gaps and helps to keep me motivated and focused.

Pandemic, or no pandemic, I can honestly say that I feel just as productive as when I was in the Working Phase of life, and so grateful to have the opportunity to experience TRUE FREEDOM.

For me, Retirement will come when I’m taking my last breath in this lifetime and transitioning to whatever’s next.

goji
April 23rd, 2021, 23:42

Actually, with subtly modification, the thread title is very appropriate for the second guy.

"EARLY MB RETIREMENT Could of Would of Should of. DIDN'T. HELLO PHOTOSHOP"

Pattaya has a few lads who are past the optimum retirement age for money boys, but survive by either using the same photo for well over 5 years, or heavily photo shopping it, so they get younger every year.

My main defence is recognising quite a few of the profiles, so I manage to avoid ever inviting them around. However, if I'd accidentally arranged a meeting with one, the reality would be so far away from the Grindr profile that I'd have no qualms at all about asking them to leave.
Of course, I allow a little bit of slippage. However, when one had wrinkles over 5 years ago and has photoshopped it all away to look about 15 years younger, it is simply taking the mick.

latintopxxx
April 24th, 2021, 02:35
I have NO problem ending an encounter if there is gross misrepresentation...if what makes an appearance is still within my range of acceptabolity I see it as an opportunity to ( now dont all start frothing at the mouth like sjw) renegotiate.

Dodger
April 24th, 2021, 08:40
I have NO problem ending an encounter if there is gross misrepresentation...if what makes an appearance is still within my range of acceptabolity I see it as an opportunity to ( now dont all start frothing at the mouth like sjw) renegotiate.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so I apologize in advance, but just have to tell you something hilarious that happened once.

A friend of mine from Sweden had been posting on Gayromeo for years, and admittedly had attached a photo of himself in his profile which dated back to his early-twenties when he had a full head of blond hair and a swimmers body. Now, thirty years later, he's bald and fat.

He arranged a meeting with a boy on GR for a 1,500 baht short-time. He said when the boy arrived at his door he was even better looking than his photo. But the boy must have had a different opinion when seeing my friend - because he apparently just put his head down and said "you don't look anything like your photo"...and if you want me to come inside ot will cost you 3,000 baht.

I guess that door swings both ways. Just too funny!

StevieWonders
April 24th, 2021, 10:22
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so I apologize in advance, but just have to tell you something hilarious that happened once.

A friend of mine from Sweden had been posting on Gayromeo for years, and admittedly had attached a photo of himself in his profile which dated back to his early-twenties when he had a full head of blond hair and a swimmers body. Now, thirty years later, he's bald and fat.

He arranged a meeting with a boy on GR for a 1,500 baht short-time. He said when the boy arrived at his door he was even better looking than his photo. But the boy must have had a different opinion when seeing my friend - because he apparently just put his head down and said "you don't look anything like your photo"...and if you want me to come inside ot will cost you 3,000 baht.

I guess that door swings both ways. Just too funny!I have a friend who operates on the same basis and he tells them so in chat before he invites them over:

Your pic must be a recent one of you. If you arrive and it’s not recent you won’t be asked in
If you don’t cum I don’t tip

arsenal
April 24th, 2021, 11:59
Your friend sounds as charming as you.

StevieWonders
April 24th, 2021, 13:29
Your friend sounds as charming as you.Too kind

a447
April 24th, 2021, 14:11
I would find it impossible to live permanently in Thailand if I did not understand the language.

I would be totally cut off from the culture and from the vast majority of its people who do not speak English. I understand that I would probably spend a lot of time with fellow expats but would have no interest whatsoever in living in a farang ghetto.

I once met an American guy in Japan who had been living there over 40 years and yet he couldn't even order a cup of coffee in Japanese. Over those years he'd only learnt to say the greetings and "thank you." In those days there weren't many signs in English so if he was catching the train to somewhere unfamiliar it took him a long time to work out how to get there. He also had trouble shopping for groceries - for example he couldn't tell the difference between shampoo and conditioner, or laundry detergent and bleach. If he got lost - not hard to do in Tokyo - people would rush to his aid but he couldn't understand what they were saying and so ended up remaining lost.

If I were planning to retire in Thailand I would enrol in a language course before moving there and then immediately find a language school. And unlike my American acquaintance I would be going out of my way to meet the locals - preferably ones who weren't particularly interested in learning English from me.

I learnt Japanese the hard way by being enrolled in a local high school school and being thrown to the wolves. In that situation you have no choice. If you don't learn the language you don't survive. It's surprising how quick you learn!

If you are of retirement age - or early retirement age - I understand learning Thai would be rather difficult compared to being younger. But for me it would be a no-brainer.

So, I wonder how many ex-pats have managed to learn enough Thai to interact with the locals - more than just negotiating with the bar guys? And how do you survive if you can't read Thai?

StevieWonders
April 24th, 2021, 14:32
Been here 35 years - I can use numbers, know most but not all days of the week, and a few key phrases (“how much?”) but I have no interest in anything further. The banality of most posts here (a reasonable example of ordinary life) are not something I would want to inflict upon myself in Thai and I reckon that’s typical of what it would be like.

dinagam
April 24th, 2021, 16:47
Excess body fat is gone and my waist size went from 36 (U.S.) to 32, and I feel great.

I'd love to see the 32" waistline... but nothing can beat this young man who is patiently waiting for the return of a particular member of this forum.
By the way I find intermittent fasting is very effective in reducing the excess body fat, but the downside is the loss of firmness in the breasts and the resultant slackening which is easily remedied by appropriate pectoral exercises in the gym.

Nirish guy
April 24th, 2021, 16:59
So should we assume that thats Arsenal that he''s waiting on there perhaps then - as he's obviously SO into him he's even got his name on his pants !!! :-))

francois
April 24th, 2021, 18:09
So, I wonder how many ex-pats have managed to learn enough Thai to interact with the locals - more than just negotiating with the bar guys? And how do you survive if you can't read Thai?

Most of the expats I know, including myself, know little or no Thai. Not a big problem except when alone with a group of Thais and they are speaking Thai.

goji
April 24th, 2021, 18:29
By the way I find intermittent fasting is very effective in reducing the excess body fat
What fasting regime do you follow ?
I've heard of 5:2 regimes (2 days a week @ 500 calories, or something like that)
Also, going without food for 16 hours, 24 hours, 36 hours, 7 days, or as one board member tried, 14 days.

My waist is also in the 31~32" range.

Dodger
April 24th, 2021, 18:31
I'd love to see the 32" waistline... but nothing can beat this young man who is patiently waiting for the return of a particular member of this forum.

Now that's worth quarantining for.

dinagam
April 24th, 2021, 19:03
My waist is also in the 31~32" range.

Would love to see that one too...

I fast daily after dinner around 6pm until breakfast around 9am which gives me about 14-15 hours of total abstinence from calorie intake. I don't do lunch at all. Tea is around 4pm. You can eat all you want during the window period. As long as you consistently do at least 14 hours of fast daily your body will slowly burn off the excess fat. You will have to check with a nutritionist as to whether swallowing cum after dinner will add needless calories to the fasting regime.

Dodger
April 24th, 2021, 19:33
You will have to check with a nutritionist as to whether swallowing cum after dinner will add needless calories to the fasting regime.

Actually you gain 0.5 grams of protein if you swallow, Now, to get your RDA of protein of 60 grams, all you'd have to do is suck cock 120 times a day - and swallow of course.

Marc K
April 25th, 2021, 03:48
[/I]

Most of the expats I know, including myself, know little or no Thai. Not a big problem except when alone with a group of Thais and they are speaking Thai.

Wow françois, I found your post a bit confounding. Isn't it after all les français/les québecois/les autres francophones who bemoan the fact that so few anglophones learn French?

I totally agree with a447, learning Thai is an essential passport to learning to live in/appreciate Thai culture. Even if not totally necessary in tourist areas, it seems to me it is a sign of respect to our hosts. After all, how would you feel if an anglophone lived 40 years in France without making a bonafide effort to learn French? Even more so for Americans (yes, I am one) who insist that immigrants immediately learn English.

a447
April 25th, 2021, 10:48
Just to be clear here, I'm not criticising those expats who don't learn Thai. I'm speaking purely from my own perspective.

StevieWonders
April 25th, 2021, 10:51
Wow françois, I found your post a bit confounding. Isn't it after all les français/les québecois/les autres francophones who bemoan the fact that so few anglophones learn French?

I totally agree with a447, learning Thai is an essential passport to learning to live in/appreciate Thai culture. Even if not totally necessary in tourist areas, it seems to me it is a sign of respect to our hosts. After all, how would you feel if an anglophone lived 40 years in France without making a bonafide effort to learn French? Even more so for Americans (yes, I am one) who insist that immigrants immediately learn English.Ever spent any time in Chinatown in any large US city?

goji
April 25th, 2021, 15:21

I totally agree with a447, learning Thai is an essential passport to learning to live in/appreciate Thai culture. Even if not totally necessary in tourist areas, it seems to me it is a sign of respect to our hosts. After all, how would you feel if an anglophone lived 40 years in France without making a bonafide effort to learn French? Even more so for Americans (yes, I am one) who insist that immigrants immediately learn English.

I tend to agree with you.
However, English learning French or vice versa is a hell of a lot easier than a European learning an Asian language or vice versa, as there are more similarities with the Western European languages.

As a tourist, I ought to make more effort. Currently I can count, but do not much else.
I must find a language school next time. I did some half hearted research rather late in the trip, but the first 2 places visited had a horrible noisy dog yapping away at the door, so an unprofessional first impression. The third wanted about 16000 baht for 20 hours.

francois
April 25th, 2021, 15:56
[QUOTE=Marc K;277487]Wow françois, I found your post a bit confounding. Isn't it after all les français/les québecois/les autres francophones who bemoan the fact that so few anglophones learn French
]
My first language is American English; second language is French most of which I have sadly deglected since leaving Montreal; my third language is Spanish which I have forgotten since leaving Southern California, USA; my fourth language is Latin but have not spoken/written that in ages; and finally there is German which I failed at the University. I am tired of learning any other languages except for a few choice words of Thai. Maybe someday I will attempt to learn British English but that might be a real challenge. 555

christianpfc
May 4th, 2021, 22:12
I must find a language school next time. I did some half hearted research rather late in the trip, but the first 2 places visited had a horrible noisy dog yapping away at the door, so an unprofessional first impression. The third wanted about 16000 baht for 20 hours.
There are plenty of Thai language schools all over Thailand. I guess they work all by the same methods (comparing studying Thai in 2011 in Bangkok and Chinese in 2018 in Taipei). Of all the teachers I have met, nobody uses IPA. You could dismiss this as academic. But having students make dialogues with their neighbor in my opinion is not just a waste of time, but detrimental to correct pronunciation.

I came to the conclusion that for me, individual classes will be better than group classes. You spend more money per hour, but you have your teacher's full attention, and even better, everything you hear is correct (whereas in group classes, you are subjected to a lot your fellow students' speech).

In Myanmar, choice for language classes is much more limited than in Thailand. In Yangon, there are between 5-10 when I checked in Dec 2019. Among these, I found one that would suit my needs, but the pandemic has put a stop to my plans to spend more time in Myanmar and learn the language.