PDA

View Full Version : Good to say goodbye ....

Smiles
April 16th, 2021, 16:00
As for Sawatdee ... these twenty years for me it's been a hoot on many a strange participation, put forward by a large, head-shakingly odd, irritable, funny, and more than once, sometimes wonderful group.

Take care of all yourselves ... always.

'Smiles' is now David.

"How much do you charge for a chuck wow?" Sums it up.

Dodger
April 16th, 2021, 16:09
Check your PM's.

francois
April 16th, 2021, 19:16
Goodbye David, it has been a pleasure knowing you and reading your posts. Francois

JayToff
April 16th, 2021, 19:39
Thank you, David, for the many smiles brought to many people on here over many years. Wishing you all the very best.

a447
April 16th, 2021, 20:00
Thanks, David, for your contribution to the forum over the years.

Never one to pull punches, you always called 'em as you saw 'em and I have thoroughly enjoyed your no-bullshit posts.

I wish you and Suphot all the best for the future.

Nirish guy
April 16th, 2021, 20:50
Sorry to hear that for whatever reason you've decided to depart from our merry band David, nice of you to say "bye" without just "disappearing" and leaving us all wondering were you ok. I wish you and Suphot all the health and happiness possible for your continued future together.

catawampuscat
April 17th, 2021, 00:35
I regret we never met. I enjoyed our pm chats over the years.

RonanTheBarbarian
April 17th, 2021, 03:43
Hi David.

Sorry to hear you’re retiring from SawatdeeNetwork. I am pretty much a lurker myself these days and so I can’t complain, but it will be sad to see you gone from the site.

And unlike Catawumpuscat, I had a pleasure of meeting you (and Suphot) a few years ago when I was in Hua Hin.

Really enjoyed our chat that evening in the pub. I wish you many happy years of post-SawatdeeNetwork life in Hua Hin

Jellybean
April 17th, 2021, 03:47
Sorry to read that you are leaving us Smiles. It’s been a pleasure reading your posts over the ten years I’ve been a member.

Goodbye and good luck David!

arsenal
April 17th, 2021, 04:58
All the best David. And thank you so much for all the gossipy PMs about xxxxx,xxxxx and of course xxxxx.

Brad the Impala
April 17th, 2021, 05:07
Unlike everyone else I read Smiles' post as retiring "Smiles" but possibly continuing/returning under his actual name of David. On the other hand you may all be right and he wants to retire and read his own obituary while he still has the ability to do so and isn't too busy emptying his colostomy bag!

Thanks are due to Smiles for both taking on and running this board for many years, and for writing some beautiful and truly memorable posts about his relationship with Suphot. I particularly remember a post describing their journey in a taxi to Hua Lamphong to catch a train to the north. There was considerable time pressure and David described beautifully the different ways that they reacted to this. Bless!

Under Smiles' post there is a list of "Similar Threads". For anyone interested in the history of this forum these threads are a worthwhile and nostalgic read. So many people have sadly left this forum and a surprising number are no longer alive. Could there be a correlation? Be very careful Smiles.........

Ruthrieston
April 17th, 2021, 09:50
I sincerely hope you are reading Smiles' message correctly and David will stay with us on the forum.

If you are choosing to depart then I am another reader who will miss your posts a great deal Mr Smiles, and I too would wish you and Suphot a good life.

Dodger
April 17th, 2021, 14:05
After reading of Smiles departure I was saddened. Not just because of his decision to move on - but because of the memories I'll cherish of the past, when Smiles, and so many other unique and colorful members first surfaced on Alan's old Pattayagay Board.

This was really the beginning for me, at a time when I had only visited Thailand a few times on business-related trips, and hadn't the foggiest idea what the gay scene was like. Interacting with Smiles and others on the forum 2 decades ago is where I learned the ropes so-to-speak. I learned where to go, what to do - and what not to do...had the latest scoops on what was going on in Pattaya, and got involved in some of the most hilarious and thought-provoking discussions I had ever found myself in. Members like Sanatree na pakin (sp?), Pearle of the Orient, Boxer, ChrisUK, elephantspike, wesley, jinx, x in pattaya,, and even some of the lunatics like Hedda, Beachlover, and Badboybilly, were all part of the fabric of the experience of Gay Thailand..

Looking back at the original members, I only recognize a few who are still posting on Sawatdee now;, e.g., Smiles, Brad the Impala, Colmx, RichLB, and myself. There may be others around who have changed their handles. The Pattayagay Board had thousands of members, and unfortunately most have now gone by the wayside. Travelerjim and jmmbkk are still around and active on Gaybutton's site.

Every time an original member disappears, a small piece of me is left at the side of the road...and I'm forced to think back to a truly magical time.

Smiles, thanks for the fuel you put in the Pattayagay and Sawatdee engines.

Hopefully we can keep chugging alone.

Cheers