PDA

View Full Version : Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh dies

Nirish guy
April 9th, 2021, 18:12
Sad news that Prince Phillip has died, I'm sure he was gutted not to reach the 100 years old that he was aiming for, missing it by only two months.

Will be interesting now to see how it pans out with Harry re the funeral and as to whether he ( and his darling wife) will be travelling back / invited for that or not now after "the interview".

a447
April 9th, 2021, 18:14
Just saw the news.

Sad but not unexpected. His death will dominate the news here, probably as much as in the UK.

More interesting than Harry's return is whether or not Meghan accompanies him. The public will give her a right "royal" welcome, I expect.

Nirish guy
April 9th, 2021, 18:19
Hmmm am I right that people from the USA have to undertake 10 days quarantine on arrival in the UK now ? I wonder might that be used as a suitable "excuse" for a non attendance as they wouldn't want to slow down proceedings etc.

Obviously the funeral plans are areadly well in place ( as set our by Prince Phillip himself it seems) and you would assume that the family had "some" idea in the last few days that this was coming so i wonder was the call made to the US to "book your ticket and get yourself back here just in case" or not......time will tell I guess.

francois
April 9th, 2021, 18:41
I am assuming that Harry and wife have been vaccinated for Covid which should ease their return, if they wish.

goji
April 9th, 2021, 19:11
Will be interesting to see how much media fuss is imposed upon us.

Back when the Queen Mother died, I was listening to some football commentary on the BBC. They interrupted it to make the announcement, then after that, instead of returning to the football, they played sombre music. All rather OTT, as someone at the age of 102 might be expected to die shortly. Or if subjected to the same levels of healthcare as the average taxpayer, a lot earlier, on average.

Besides, if the listener wanted to mark the occasion with sombre music, he could make a choice & to switch to Radio 3, rather than have it imposed.

Today, a quick check shows the BBC national radio stations appear to be broadcasting the same material, therefore depriving the listener of choice. They should allocate ONE channel for the continuous material and on other channels restrict coverage to short news bulletins.

I dread to think what happens when the main event comes along in the next few years.

Nirish guy
April 9th, 2021, 19:13
The funeral plans and media coverage are all of course pre-planned ( Operation Forth Bridge) and the coverage will all have been agreed with both the Palace, the BBC and the Government in order to show the required / suitable level of respect for the member of the Royal Family who has passed. I guess the one "benefit" of old age is that both he and they had plently of time to plan and agree everything well in advance and as per his wishes.

It seems that Phillip specially requested "no fuss" and no official public "lying in State", but he may lie in St James Palace in private etc, so that should speed things up a bit I guess.

I'm guessing Phillips coverage will last a few days perhaps and as he seems to have opted for burial at St Georges Chapel at Windsor Castle rather the Westminster Abbey again that should cut down on some of the phaff. The queen it seems goes into 8 days of official mourning and she wont be seen and where no laws are passed, with a further 30 days of mourning thereafter, when TV and radio stations are supposed to only broadcast "normal programming" ( whatever that is).

gerefan2
April 9th, 2021, 20:16
I suppose the maximum of 30 persons (or whatever it is nowadays) attending a funeral will be relaxed??

A sad day indeed.

Nirish guy
April 9th, 2021, 20:33
yeah you just KNOW that might be the conversation to the States......." look Harry you KNOW we'd love to have you and Meghan over, but unfortunately rules are rules and as we've already invited the window cleaner and the guy that does the bins unfortunately that puts us over the 30 so it looks like there's no point in you coming now, we're sure you understand"...... :)

arsenal
April 9th, 2021, 21:00
If he'd only managed to stay alive for another two months he'd have received a telegram from the queen. His family must be gutted.

goji
April 10th, 2021, 02:01
It seems that Phillip specially requested "no fuss"
If only the BBC would respect his wishes. Most stations turned over to coverage or playing sombre music.
Thankfully You Tube offers some choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgX6JFoV0TM&t=16s

A sad day indeed.
On average, it's sad when people die.
However, if I was told I'm going to live to 99, being active and healthy for most of the time, requiring not much work doing and then dying peacefully at home, I'd be delighted !

cdnmatt
April 10th, 2021, 02:44
I dread to think what happens when the main event comes along in the next few years.

It's explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDRF8jdVFC0

a447
April 10th, 2021, 09:42
My abiding memory of Prince Philip is when he was sitting in the back of a limousine with Her Majesty by his side, waiting for the chauffer to drive off. This was back in 2011 when they were visiting Perth.

The chauffer was a lovely young lady who was obviously quite nervous. She was just checking everything and looking in the rear view mirror when suddenly the Prince shouted rudely at her.

"Well come on! Get a move on girl!"

The poor girl. I felt so sorry for her. This was her big moment and he had to spoil it for her.

I'm certainly not a monarchist but must say I'm a great admirer of Her Majesty. What a wonderful job she has done - ever discreet, she has selflessly devoted herself to the service of her country and the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, this resulted in her perhaps losing control of her family and this has lead to various scandals and wayward behaviour by her children. And one grandchild.

Still, I feel for her today.

Andaman!
April 10th, 2021, 14:42
"Well come on! Get a move on girl!".

What on earth is rude about that? I also doubt he “shouted” at her as that was not his character.

I just feel sorry for the poor girl for not having a sense of humour. Given it was an Australian tour, I’m just surprised he didn’t say:

“Well come on! Get a move on Sheila!”

a447
April 10th, 2021, 15:18
What on earth is rude about that?

Just because you are royal doesn't mean you have the right to order people around. A request, ending with a "please", would have been more acceptable.

I also doubt he “shouted” at her

He did. It was all over the nightly news.

that was not his character

It was. It was all over the nightly news.

The girl didn't need a privileged, grumpy back seat driver to tell her how to do her job.

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard an Aussie use the word "sheila". Well, perhaps when I was a child I did.

goji
April 11th, 2021, 04:06
https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/1380926761748283398

Andaman!
April 11th, 2021, 06:38
The girl didn't need a privileged, grumpy back seat driver to tell her how to do her job.

More to the point His Royal Highness didn’t need a chauffeur with a sense of humour bypass.

a447
April 11th, 2021, 09:15
Well Andaman!, if you are going to do down that very narrow path, I guess you think the Chinese lacked a sense of humour when they were offended by the Prince's comments re "slitty eyes" - a comment made while he was on a visit to China!

There are numerous examples of his offensive "gaffes" but I guess we can't blame him. Let's call the victims our for their lack of humour.

Prince Philip has used his position to better the lives of others around the world. He had many achievements of which he was no doubt very proud. One of those was his unfailing support for Her Majesty.

But he was in the wrong in this instance. He should have known better. That's the simple point I'm making here.

Let's just agree to disagree on this,

arsenal
April 11th, 2021, 12:43
He was virtually stateless and Britain gave him a life of privilege, wealth and position. However he never lost his huge sense of entitlement, traits we see in abundance in both Andrew and Edward. I think Tobias Menzies in The Crown has captured him perfectly.

Ninodf1
April 11th, 2021, 15:45
And it’s questionable he was a decent husband or father

latintopxxx
April 12th, 2021, 02:47
...gasp...I see it as one of the centuries greatest love stories...he was poor and from the wrong side of the railway tracks as one would say with his strong German bloodline...so brought nothing of value...no money or connections or influence...nada...zilch...so it could only have been that magic ingreidient...love...proof is that 70++ years later they are still married..
arsenal and ninod...go shove your heads back up yopur arses where they belong

Ninodf1
April 12th, 2021, 04:42
Don’t worry I truly believed Liz loved him, unfortunately it was not reciprocated. He did teach his son Charlie well... ‘whatever love means’.... Like father like son. However the Royals are dutiful including Old Phil and that is what matters.

Jellybean
April 12th, 2021, 23:30
I think the following cartoon from The Sunday Times and the article from The Guardian of April 11, 2021 sums up how the Duke of Edinburgh’s death will affect Her Majesty the Queen:

Prince Philip

Queen says Prince Philip’s death has left ‘a huge void’

Duke of Edinburgh’s family say his death was ‘peaceful and gentle’ as they prepare for funeral on Saturday

Caroline Davies
Sun 11 Apr 2021 15.51 BST Last modified on Mon 12 Apr 2021 16.00 BST

The Queen has described the death of the Duke of Edinburgh as leaving “a huge void” in her life, Prince Andrew has revealed, saying it had brought home to him the loss suffered by so many during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Duke of York said the Queen had “described his passing as a miracle”, thought to refer to the fact Prince Philip died peacefully at home with her and not alone in hospital under Covid regulations . . .

For the full article see The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/11/queen-says-prince-philip-death-has-left-a-huge-void)

goji
April 13th, 2021, 01:04
Living to 99 and dying peacefully is a pretty good way to go and is certainly better than the fate that some of their distant relatives met in the previous century.

arsenal
April 13th, 2021, 05:58
That cartoon is hugely innacurate. The Queen carries the burden of office of state and Philip was a Gatsbyesque gadabout.

latintopxxx
April 13th, 2021, 10:09
i take it that possibly you were not a fan of his...

arsenal
April 13th, 2021, 16:21
It's not that I dislike him per se, I just think that one cannot compare Philip of fuck-knows-where to the world's most authorised and longest serving monarch. If you want to impress me then tell me about his distinguished war record, not how many factories he visited.

"Occasionally I get fed up, going to visit a factory, when I am being shown around by the chairman, who clearly hasn't got a clue, and I try to get hold of the factory manager, but I can't because the chairman wants to make sure he's the one in all the photographs."

His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, Knight of the Garter, Knight of the Thistle, Order of Merit, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire,...

a447
April 13th, 2021, 16:35
His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, Knight of the Garter, Knight of the Thistle, Order of Merit, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire,...

And don't forget, he's also Sir Philip, as a tosser Aussie PM knighted him in 2014 - on Australia Day!!

Not long after, his party - the Liberals - dumped him as PM.

a447
April 14th, 2021, 10:06
It's only 4 days since her husband's passing but already Her Majesty is performing official duties!

She hosted a farewell for a staff member who is retiring.

arsenal
April 14th, 2021, 18:00
"She hosted a farewell for a staff member who is retiring."

Yes well she's hosting another farewell do shortly.

latintopxxx
April 15th, 2021, 03:02
...wonder if the German princely states will do the whole flag at half mast thing too...

Jellybean
April 18th, 2021, 00:58
A sad sight . . .

StevieWonders
April 18th, 2021, 06:43
What’s the betting The Queen retires from public life as her husband did - probably after the next Jubilee - and Charles becomes Prince Regent.

a447
April 18th, 2021, 07:59
Her Majesty is all class. She puts many in her family to shame.

Service is in her DNA. I think she will continue to reign and appear in public for as long as it is physically possible.

arsenal
April 18th, 2021, 14:04
"Her Majesty is all class. She puts many in her family to shame."

Yes. Absolutely. She deserves better than to have to bury her husband sitting alone in a church. Fuck coronovirus.

StevieWonders
April 18th, 2021, 14:19
"Her Majesty is all class. She puts many in her family to shame."Many interesting contrasts can be made by those courageous enough to do so.

mr giggles
April 18th, 2021, 19:16
The Waterford News didn't hold back:

Greek Immigrant Who Lived Off Welfare Dies In England
ONE of England’s most notorious welfare cheats has died at the age of 99, WWN can report.

Hailed as hero among the welfare cheating classes of Britain, it is believe the Greek born welfare king has made millions out of his schemes and funded his lavish lifestyle which included castles, yachts and cars, all on the taxpayer’s dime. “He tried to hide his immigrant status by Anglicising his name, he gained people’s trust after changing it from Battenberg to Mountbatten, he was clearly well versed in the art of conning,” confirmed one policeman.

Welfare officials confirmed it was hard to pin down Battenberg as he moved around a lot between his various properties acquired through his welfare scams. It is believed Battenberg’s four children, a product of his incestuous marriage to a blood relative, adopted a similar lifestyle and continue to rip off the British taxpayer to this day.

“I heard one of the kids is in big trouble with police, FBI involved and all,” confirmed one member of the public, who hates welfare scroungers.

“They are the poster family for all that is wrong with this country, he was known to be a bit of a racist but maybe he should have gone back to where he was from if he didn’t like it here. And his kids? Affairs, divorces, illegitimate kids the works, it’d make you sick, thank God Brexit will sort out stuff like this never happening again.”

Questions will be asked of authorities as to how a man could evade them for decades while raking up serious sums of cash but it has recently emerged Battenberg’s wife used her connection with politicians to ensure laws that applied to everyone else never affected them.

Zebedee
April 18th, 2021, 21:25
The Waterford News didn't hold back:

Greek Immigrant Who Lived Off Welfare Dies In England
ONE of England’s most notorious welfare cheats has died at the age of 99, WWN can report.

Waterford Whispers News (WWN) is an Irish satirical news website run by Colm Williamson and based in Tramore, County Waterford, Ireland. The site has been called Ireland's answer to U.S. satirical media company, The Onion, and has been the source of several satirical articles that gained international notability, including: North Korea Lands First Ever Man On The Sun, Confirms Central News Agency, and "Jesus Not Coming Back By The Looks Of It" Admits Vatican.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford_Whispers_News

Mark of respect
A Government spokesperson confirmed: "As a mark of respect to His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the national flag will be half-masted on all State buildings equipped with a permanent flagpole, on the day of his funeral, 17 April 2021."

This is not the first time the flag has been lowered in memory of members of the extended British monarchy — in 1997, the tricolour flew at half mast on all State buildings on the day of Princess Diana's funeral.

This was also done in 2002 to mark the death of the British Queen Mother.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40268162.html

arsenal
April 19th, 2021, 12:45
Post 35.
Not originally posted by arsenal.