PDA

View Full Version : Some Pattaya boy bars in Boyztown area updates..

catawampuscat
April 3rd, 2021, 00:37
The most significant news is Boyzboyzboyz bar will reopen next Friday April 9th. They are working on calling in the staff
from the provinces and spiffing up the bar. The reopening will help liven up a very quiet Boyztown.
I did some bar hopping tonight and can report that Dream Boys had nine shirtless gogo boys/men in jeans. Some new
to me and lots of choice. Drink prices reduced to 150 baht. Boys gets animated when you tip.
Xboys had 5-6 gogo boys, only one in jeans, others wore undershorts. Drinks reduced to 150 B. Shows are sporadic and
infrequent.
Boyztown area boy bars are in a very depressed state but showing faint signs of life. Friday/Saturdays best nights. My guess
is things will very slowly improve over the next few months. One should remember that Boyztown wasn’t doing well pre-Covid.

gerefan2
April 3rd, 2021, 00:52
The most significant news is Boyzboyzboyz bar will reopen next Friday April 9th. The reopening will help liven up a very quiet Boyztown.
I.

If, and only if, they charge realistic prices. No more of the 400 baht drinks. (until the Chinese return!)

catawampuscat
April 3rd, 2021, 10:49
The drink prices had escalated to 350 b. (never 400) and they had a second drink free policy. Of course, for the older farang customers,
this didn’t work as they nursed a single bottle of water, repeatedly asking for more ice, never buying a boy a drink or tipping.
Certainly, some older farangs were ‘big spenders’ and didn’t fit my stereotype.
The Asian men and Women bought set ups, bought boys drinks and tipped well, Certainly not every Asian fit this stereotype.
Boyzboyzboyz was very successful and very smarted managed for years before Covid killed the tourist trade.

Many older farangs simply cannot grasp the concept of a boy bar. It’s not a gay bar!

One negative is that the bar added lots of cabaret, lip syncing ladyboys and less sexy boy bits to please their Asian base. Also fully clothed gogo boys/men is far from ideal.
The drink prices were reduced when the bar reopened as the customer base was Thais from Bangkok and locals.
I believe the price was 200b. per drink at that time.

a447
April 3rd, 2021, 12:12
Also fully clothed gogo boys/men is far from ideal.

For me, that is when they lost my business. It was was a deal breaker.

I spent my baht elsewhere during the evening and only returned for the "sexy show".

I usually spent up big there, too the point that they always reserved a table for me in my favourite spot down by the stage.

Still, they wouldn't have missed my boycotting the bar - although the guys would have - because they were usually full. Chinese, mainly, who were big drinkers. Great for bar profits.

I imagine the guys made most of their money from offs, not drinks. I offed lots of guys. The Chinese didn't, from what I saw.

catawampuscat
April 3rd, 2021, 13:41
I’ve been told the Chinese, especially the females off the boys to go to karaokes and late night clubs, not for sex.
I’d imagine the boys have more fun than going with older farangs but less profitable. Every situation different and I
know several farangs that had arrangements with the boys and saw them in the afternoons and became patrons.

StevieWonders
April 3rd, 2021, 13:49
I’ve been told the Chinese, especially the females off the boys to go to karaokes and late night clubs, not for sex.In the early Noughties it was very much the trend for Japanese girls to visit the larger Soi Twilight gogos (Boys Bangkok in particular) and “off” dancing partners. They deliberately (I’m told) sought out the gay boys so none of them were under any misapprehension that sex was expected.

karius
April 3rd, 2021, 15:48
Are the hotels in Boystown open?

Blueskytoday
April 3rd, 2021, 20:35
The bars have been ruined for me for a long time,,basically they were fun when they were basically ALL GAY customers, not the Chinese Woman tourist, giggling and ruining it really for what the bar is supposed to be...yes I get it...$$$$$ the bars need the woman tourist to make the bucks...for me....it is not fun anymore .....Just me...

StevieWonders
April 3rd, 2021, 20:42
The bars have been ruined for me for a long time,,basically they were fun when they were basically ALL GAY customers, not the Chinese Woman tourist, giggling and ruining it really for what the bar is supposed to be...A source of young male prostitutes for middle aged and elderly white men to (in the unforgettable wording of one of our members earlier today) hunt?

Brad the Impala
April 3rd, 2021, 21:56
A source of young male prostitutes for middle aged and elderly white men to (in the unforgettable wording of one of our members earlier today) hunt?

And as a meat market it's a serious business, none of that "giggling" allowed!

gerefan2
April 4th, 2021, 21:18
The bars have been ruined for me for a long time,,basically they were fun when they were basically ALL GAY customers, not the Chinese Woman tourist, giggling and ruining it really for what the bar is supposed to be...yes I get it...$$$$$ the bars need the woman tourist to make the bucks...for me....it is not fun anymore .....Just me...

I blame the Chinese business which bought out Boyzboyzboyz and set up Boyz Music beside Cafe Royal. They then went out of their way to attract Chinese custom (mainly heterosexual) and female.
This simply ruined the atmosphere of a gay Boyztown.
They are now reaping their just reward.

a447
April 4th, 2021, 21:50
I blame the Chinese business which bought out Boyzboyzboyz and set up Boyz Music beside Cafe Royal.

I knew they owned LCR but wasn't aware that they had bought Boyzboyzboyz.

If that's the case then yes, Boystown will be set up to cater to middle-aged Chinese women whose definition of what constitues erotic/sexy is very different to my own. And it will probably mean the end of the late night sexy shows, or they may be toned down to suit Chinese sensibilities. I think gay patrons will stay away in droves.

Which means that the guys will be the big losers here if the only income they can rely on is from drink tips and the 10 baht ping pong ball game.

As so many of the guys must surely be approaching pension age (!), it's not as though they can just move to a gogo bar. Their job prospects will be very limited.

So sad all around.

latintopxxx
April 5th, 2021, 02:03
Im sure that someone clever will spot the gap in the market & set up a traditional gogo boy bar...

London68
April 5th, 2021, 04:55
Drinks very expensive last time I was there.

dab69
April 5th, 2021, 05:29
Sit on the veranda and have the waiters ignore you until happy hour is just over and Wow. More expensive than a go go bar but larger drink.
At 2:00 am the lobby desk in the hotel had two LARGE stacks of cash - 500’s and 1000’s.
At least 3-4 cm tall.

Dodger
April 5th, 2021, 08:59
I'd rather spend my money at a cozy gay bar staffed with a handful of cute and attentive staff, than getting ripped off on over-priced drinks at any of these so-called "Show Bars".

I visited BoyzBoyzBoyz on one of my first trips to Thailand many years ago, and never had any desire to return. The best shows were always in the smaller bars anyway. I thought Kevin Quil had the best shows at Splash & Throb back in the day.

Here's what I'm hoping the "New Normal" will look like in Pattaya:

More cozy/casual gay bars - amply staffed - a dart board on the wall - a pool table in the corner - a popcorn maker wouldn't be bad - with "Earth, Wind & Fire" playing at a moderate level in the background. Toss in a good dose of "sleaze" for good measure, and a few short time rooms. That's the cats meow IMO.

cdnmatt
April 5th, 2021, 09:25
I'd still like to see what I've always wanted. Although I did frequent the go-go bars, I never really like the quick in-and-out "cattle show" type of atmosphere. Sit down, grab a drink, call guy over, discuss, pay off fee and leave. That was it.

I'd like to see more of a relaxing pub type atmosphere. Still have a stage but as a compliment to the establishment, and not necessarily the main attraction. There would be guys on the stage and chairs / tables around it for those who want to sit there.

However, also lots of tables and booths, including an outside area / harden / patio type of area with the same tables / booths. Get some nice ambience with maybe fish ponds, running water, plants all around, nice music at decent decibal levels instead of blaring club beats on never ending repeat.

Have free wifi, shirtless wait staff always walking around if you need anything. Order some drinks, food from a proper kitchen, a bottle, or what have you. Invite guys over as desired to hang out with you, do some work on your laptop, enjoy some drinks and food with whomever, etc.

A place where you'd walk in at 5pm for a beer, and leave at 1am because it was so comfortable and such a good time, there was no need to go anywhere. A place to relax where you can do some work on your laptop, have dinner with someone, have a group around sharing a couple bottles, or just hang out at the chairs by the stage if you're there for one thing only.

Just an all around relaxing place, good music, good rinks and food, comfortable booth seating, and staffed with lots of friendly half naked Asian guys with smiles, and whom would be more than happy to sit with you with a simple wave of the hand. To hell with working from home anymore, I'd turn that place into my home office.

StevieWonders
April 5th, 2021, 09:37
Just an all around relaxing place, good music, good rinks and food, comfortable booth seating, and staffed with lots of friendly half naked Asian guys with smiles, and whom would be more than happy to sit with you with a simple wave of the hand. To hell with working from home anymore, I'd turn that place into my home office.How would you stop all the “regulars” turning up at 5pm, occupying “their” chair, sitting on one or two drinks the entire evening and monopolising “their” boy? There’s no profit in that at all for the bar owners.

Dodger
April 5th, 2021, 09:42

A place to relax where you can do some work on your laptop, have dinner with someone, have a group around sharing a couple bottles, or just hang out...with free WIFI...

Jerry Baldwin, Gordon Bowker, and Zev Siegl, had the very same idea when they opened Starbucks. I hear they did very well.

cdnmatt
April 5th, 2021, 09:55
How would you stop all the “regulars” turning up at 5pm, occupying “their” chair, sitting on one or two drinks the entire evening and monopolising “their” boy? There’s no profit in that at all for the bar owners.

I don't know, hadn't thought that far ahead. Daily pass and/or membership fee maybe...

Figure out some type of rule so if you're just occupying space either buy something, buy a daily pass, or fuck off...

Or maybe just staff directions to ignore those simply occupyng space, and don't worry about giving them your attention is all that would be needed. If all the boys are ignoring you, and walking past you with their nose in the air, you'll probably take the hint to either buy a drink, or get bored / angry and piss off.

cdnmatt
April 5th, 2021, 11:24
How would you stop all the “regulars” turning up at 5pm, occupying “their” chair, sitting on one or two drinks the entire evening and monopolising “their” boy? There’s no profit in that at all for the bar owners.

Thinking about it, this type of place must exist, doesn't it? A private gay club type of place, pay say annual membership of 100,000 baht or whatever, and have access to the club.

I guess kind of like a country club, but gay twink Thailand style. That must exist somewhere.

Oliver2
April 5th, 2021, 14:07
One of the reasons- no the main reason- I feel in love with Pattaya two decades ago was because that is exactly the sort of atmosphere the bars were encouraging. Well, the twink bars anyway which in those days far-outnumbered the macho ones like BBB.

I agree that the transformation of Boyztown over the past few years- show bars, khatoey-dominated ( and of no interest to most gay men), the new straight LCF, the increase in the female audience utterly destroyed Boyztown. I'm amazed that the signs remained; ; nothing else has.

Accordingly, it's been two years since I've been there , preferring the Complex even though it doesn't hold a candle to the Boyztown of the past.

Zebedee
April 5th, 2021, 14:27
Here's what I'm hoping the "New Normal" will look like in Pattaya:

More cozy/casual gay bars - amply staffed - a dart board on the wall - a pool table in the corner - a popcorn maker wouldn't be bad - with "Earth, Wind & Fire" playing at a moderate level in the background. Toss in a good dose of "sleaze" for good measure, and a few short time rooms. That's the cats meow IMO.

You ticked ALL the boxes Dodger. A place where one can relax, pick a boy if you want, play pool if you want, chat if you want.....no pressure, but to be mindful the business has to make a dollar as well. That's the kind of place I would love.
If Boystown had their way even in the "recent" past there would be no choice, thank heaven for the JC.

dinagam
April 5th, 2021, 14:44
I thought Kevin Quil had the best shows at Splash & Throb back in the day.

I remember how I watched in awe at the sight of an athletic trans person dressed in a mini sequin slip a la Tina Turner executing a perfect somersault on stage and landed perfectly on his stilettos. Never saw such a feat ever since.

gerefan2
April 5th, 2021, 15:45
I remember how I watched in awe at the sight of an athletic trans person dressed in a mini sequin slip a la Tina Turner executing a perfect somersault on stage and landed perfectly on his stilettos. Never saw such a feat ever since.
Not forgetting the 200 lb Ladyboy who did cartwheels on the stage and the very very cute twink dressed as a cat who “pissed” up against the audiences legs!!

Oliver2
April 5th, 2021, 16:34
That was Khun Oh, of beloved memory. One of the things that alienates me from the khatoey bars is the absence of humour; the performers take themselves so damn seriously. The all-male dancers of Throb didn't.

As Arsenal says, "I miss Pattaya!." But for me, it's far worse; I miss a Pattaya that will never return.

a447
April 5th, 2021, 17:41
Perhaps they should take down the Boyztown sign and replace it with New Chinatown.

There are members-only gay clubs in Japan - I was a member of 3 of them. But it wouldn't work for farang in Thailand unless they are expats who would get value for their money.

So the old fashioned gogo bar is still the way to go.

If only the owners would ask us what we want - most of us are not interested in ladyboy shows and guys in jeans. If they took their time and did a bit of market research they could surely come up with a winning formula.

And if they did that, I for one, couldn't care less about drink prices. I just want to have a good time every single night of my holiday.

Dodger
April 5th, 2021, 18:42

YES...and that farang dressed in drag you're referring to blew me away...and those stiletto heels must have been made of titanium.

What a fun show!!!

goji
April 5th, 2021, 18:58
If only the owners would ask us what we want - most of us are not interested in ladyboy shows and guys in jeans. If they took their time and did a bit of market research they could surely come up with a winning formula.

And if they did that, I for one, couldn't care less about drink prices. I just want to have a good time every single night of my holiday.

Quite a few of us have no interest at all in lady boy shows, but when there are a more diverse range of tourists, unfortunately the awful lady boy shows pack in the customers.

As for we like:
Over 10 years ago, there were loads of gogo bars with cute skinny lads, in white briefs, with no tattoos and no facial hair. Once offed, a good proportion were happy to do long time and the short time ones would usually not rush. All very pleasant.

Now certain bars have boys with one or more of the following "problems": excessive tattoos, more facial hair than Borat, excess weight, overdressed on stage or ageing.
Having found one of the remaining gogo bars that still has some decent boys, if that bar is in Bangkok or Boyztown, the boy is often pushing for higher tips than normal & sometimes combining it with very rushed service.
Higher prices combined with lower service levels are not sustainable.
So it's no wonder people move to phone apps.
Obviously bars have to charge enough to cover their costs, but if the total round trip costs ~2000 more than a Grindr boy (as can be the case in Bangkok), they really should encourage their boys to look after the customer well.
Winner has a better offer. Nice boys, properly dressed. Then a couple of drinks and an off is just over 700. The boy is happy with a tips at the same level as Grindr boys and some of them look after the customer properly too. That's how a bar should be. I just hope they find more boys when tourist numbers pick up.

StevieWonders
April 5th, 2021, 19:26
I regard drag shows as a form of occupational therapy for drag queens. I feel no need to join in their treatment.

Daveuk
April 5th, 2021, 20:21
Quite a few of us have no interest at all in lady boy shows, but when there are a more diverse range of tourists, unfortunately the awful lady boy shows pack in the customers.

As for we like:
Over 10 years ago, there were loads of gogo bars with cute skinny lads, in white briefs, with no tattoos and no facial hair. Once offed, a good proportion were happy to do long time and the short time ones would usually not rush. All very pleasant.

Now certain bars have boys with one or more of the following "problems": excessive tattoos, more facial hair than Borat, excess weight, overdressed on stage or ageing.
Having found one of the remaining gogo bars that still has some decent boys, if that bar is in Bangkok or Boyztown, the boy is often pushing for higher tips than normal & sometimes combining it with very rushed service.
Higher prices combined with lower service levels are not sustainable.
So it's no wonder people move to phone apps.
Obviously bars have to charge enough to cover their costs, but if the total round trip costs ~2000 more than a Grindr boy (as can be the case in Bangkok), they really should encourage their boys to look after the customer well.
Winner has a better offer. Nice boys, properly dressed. Then a couple of drinks and an off is just over 700. The boy is happy with a tips at the same level as Grindr boys and some of them look after the customer properly too. That's how a bar should be. I just hope they find more boys when tourist numbers pick up.

I very much go along with your sentiments here goji, particularly as regards Winner Boys, which has become my gay bar of choice during my last few trips, I have found there, boys which I like - cute and slim, who appear on stage correctly dressed ie in tight white briefs. I did find however that to get the boy of my choice I needed to arrive early, before say 8.30. We all bemoan the reduction of choice in Pattaya gay bars over recent years and I remember the scene when I first visited 20 years ago, when there was a profusion of gogos like Winner (eg Euro Boys & Kaos). I, like you goji, just hope that when tourism restarts, hopefully later this year, that more bars will reopen and boys return from the Isaan ricefields.
As to ladyboy shows and ladyboys in general I like most gay visitors have zero interest, although I was once persuaded to visit the Venue in the Complex and think that the show would be enjoyed by many.

arsenal
April 5th, 2021, 20:38
My three offs from Winner Bar have all been very good. However their policy of charging 600 baht off fee before 10.00pm means that from 9.00 onwards the place is full of stingy bewhiskered granpappy types who've kidnapped their boy and are counting down the clock. It also means that boys will probably only get one off per night whereas in Nice Boys they can get two. But if that policy means the bar is profitable and remains open then hear hear.

gerefan2
April 5th, 2021, 20:46
My three offs from Winner Bar have all been very good. However their policy of charging 600 baht off fee before 10.00pm means that from 9.00 onwards the place is full of stingy bewhiskered granpappy types who've kidnapped their boy and are counting down the clock. It also means that boys will probably only get one off per night whereas in Nice Boys they can get two. But if that policy means the bar is profitable and remains open then hear hear.

I believe that policy has been dropped to a standard off fee. Goji can confirm.

You really need to get back here A!!

goji
April 5th, 2021, 21:02
I can confirm Winner have been applying the 400 baht off fee well before 10:00 pm.
Someone else reported that a while ago and I also paid a 400 baht in recent months.
My total bill for 2 drinks and an off varied from 670 to 770.

This is very reasonable. About half the price of Bangkok bars & I don't have to spend the time fending off a mamasan either.

I do tend to limit alcohol consumption if offing boys afterwards.

Daveuk
April 5th, 2021, 22:09
Yes I remember paying the higher off fee 600 baht which applied before 10pm, but that was necessary to secure the boy of my choice. On occasions I have been in a Gogo and have seen attractive boys being offed before I’ve had the chance to invite them for a drink. The stingy granpappy types referred to are likely to be expats counting the pennies and berating tourists like me for overpaying.
I can understand bars charging more for an early off particularly in busy times so as keep enough boys for later in the evening.
After an early off I usually headed back to the Complex by motor bike taxi 3-up where I would sit for a while in one of the bars often to be joined by a pal or two, with their boyfriends.

latintopxxx
April 6th, 2021, 12:36
...apps are so much better,,,only reason I visit gogo bars is to watch a good fuck show ...,haved a beer...leer at the gogos on stage...

Manforallseasons
April 6th, 2021, 13:52
...apps are so much better,,,only reason I visit gogo bars is to watch a good fuck show ...,haved a beer...leer at the gogos on stage...

Good luck finding a fuck show nowadays, the apps are full of gay twinks so you as a bottom will find it difficult to find someone to fuck your ass!

latintopxxx
April 6th, 2021, 15:15
...if i was a bottom I;'d best be described as an aggessive power bottom...and not just a "bottom"..

dinagam
April 6th, 2021, 16:29
The lady doth protest too much...me thinks

latintopxxx
April 7th, 2021, 16:43
...again..never settle for the ordinary...imagine being described as a "bottom"...at least tart it up

Zebedee
April 7th, 2021, 16:53
The last few posts are Priceless. Thanks guys.