PDA

View Full Version : Airfares to halve?

StevieWonders
March 25th, 2021, 04:10
“Airfares to fall” would have been a more interesting headline than the tired old “Vaccination to be mandatory for travel” one. What the CEO of Quaintarse (aka. Qantas) said in an interview broadcast on the BBC was "In some cases, we think the airfares could be half of what they were pre-Covid, And that will be there to stimulate demand. Internationally it's going to take a while for it to recover to 2019 levels”.

I’ve posted this in the Thailand rather than the World Forum as it’s of particular interest to sex tourists looking to plan their triumphant return to the Land of Smile.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56460329.

Blueskytoday
March 25th, 2021, 06:08
That is great news...however...arriving without quarantine....and not needing this large health insurance policy (that almost NO other country requires) I will just wait...many don't care about this I guess, but for me,,a downer...

StevieWonders
March 25th, 2021, 06:29
That is great news...however...arriving without quarantine....and not needing this large health insurance policy (that almost NO other country requires) I will just wait...many don't care about this I guess, but for me,,a downer... Since you're still whining about this I'm reposting the list of countries that require travel insurance for some or all tourists

https://visaguide.world/travel-insurance/countries-mandatory-travel-insurance/

gerefan2
March 25th, 2021, 07:04
That won’t apply to flights from London Heathrow.
A cursory search for the cheapest return fare for a flight next winter is showing only £451. The same as pre covid.
Passenger departure tax at Heathrow is whopping £150 and at Bangkok a reasonable £17.50. Total £167.50.
If the fare is reduced 50%, to £225.50, the airline will only get take the remaining £58.
Ozy hype!

StevieWonders
March 25th, 2021, 07:16
That won’t apply to flights from London Heathrow.
A cursory search for the cheapest return fare for a flight next winter is showing only £451. The same as pre covid.
Passenger departure tax at Heathrow is whopping £150 and at Bangkok a reasonable £17.50. Total £167.50.
If the fare is reduced 50%, to £225.50, the airline will only get take the remaining £58.
Ozy hype!Of course! Airfares will never change when circumstances change. Why didn’t I think of that?

cdnmatt
March 25th, 2021, 07:24
Seems like all over the place is now entering a third wave, variants version this time, so I'm no longer holding my breath for things to be open this fall.

Any here I was always hoping this would have been more like the Spanish Flu, meaning this spring it would have been basically over except sporadic pockets here and there. KoVid seems to be turning out like the Energizer bunny, and taking into account places like Kenya don't expect to have majority vaccinated until 2023 sometime, more variants are probably to come yet.

Armando
March 25th, 2021, 10:28
Probably depends on which class you travel. 6 weeks ago I checked a Qatar biz class fare to Europe in November. The fare was around 110,000 baht. Last night when I checked again, the same flights on the same dates had dropped to 72,000 baht.

gerefan2
March 25th, 2021, 10:53
Probably depends on which class you travel. 6 weeks ago I checked a Qatar biz class fare to Europe in November. The fare was around 110,000 baht. Last night when I checked again, the same flights on the same dates had dropped to 72,000 baht.

Most probably because about a week ago Qatar was been banned from carrying passengers into the UK as they are now in the Red Zone.

Dodger
March 25th, 2021, 11:29
Roundtrip flights from BKK to Chicago appear to have dropped significantly based on a quick search I did this morning. Coach fares used to run approx. U.S. $1,500 and are now advertised for approx. $950.

Business class seats have reduced as well.

I'm not planning a visit home right now, but of I was, this airlines savings would offset the cost of a quarantine hotel on my return to Thailand.

Armando
March 25th, 2021, 12:01
Most probably because about a week ago Qatar was been banned from carrying passengers into the UK as they are now in the Red Zone.
My dates were NOVEMBER!